Please recommend 4-player MAME games that are "funny".

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
qmish

Please recommend 4-player MAME games that are "funny".

Post by qmish »

Looking for games that support 3 or even 4 players cooperative play, via MAME. Genre doesn't matter, but it should be "quirky", "funny", "weird". Something that would be amusing to play and have laugh at "wow, crazy".

Preferrably not very hardcore.
drauch

Re: Please recommend 4-player MAME games that are "funny".

Post by drauch »

Ninja Baseball Batman, The Outfoxies come to mind right off the bat(man).
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Battle Circuit and Metamorphic Force's 4P versions are amusingly meme worthy and might be good for a laugh. G.I. Joe is mechanically simple enough to enjoy without feeling too hardcore.

Xenophobe definitely fits the weird bill but I'm not sure it's all that good a game.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

qmish wrote:Looking for games that support 3 or even 4 players cooperative play, via MAME. Genre doesn't matter, but it should be "quirky", "funny", "weird". Something that would be amusing to play and have laugh at "wow, crazy".

Preferrably not very hardcore.
What's the age of your audience? I'm asking because if it's somebody who has only played (for example) the more popular AAA video games in the last 10, 15, heck, even 20 years or whatnot (like ~6th gen and up) with the vast majority of the most popular games being in 3D (pretty rough 3D to start, to kinda crazy now), that type of person may just find the vast majority of these old arcade games with 2D graphics and sprites and WAY simplified gameplay absolutely blow-their-mind quirky and weird (like something totally alien to them). Or they may think it's WAY too simple, and stupid too lol... (but hopefully the latter! ;)

The last 20 or so people (all my younger cousins, the children of my older cousins, and the friends of these groups) all thought my RetroPie/Raspberry Pi builds I did for a bunch of the families (which are very heavy on the arcade games, especially 3-4 player) were totally funky, quirky, weird, and cool. It kinda blew their minds actually. Everything was so new and different to them they absolutely loved it.

Anyway, here's my 3-4 player list I have on all these builds. Added some more since but didn't add it to this list but this is plenty to start with:

Armored Warriors (mechs)
Alien vs. Predator
Battle Circuit
Battletoads
Bucky O'Hare
Captain America and The Avengers
Captain Commando
Combat Tribes
Dungeons and Dragons 2 Shadow Over Mystara
Dungeons and Dragons 1 Tower of Doom
Cadillacs and Dinosaurs
Golden Axe: The Revenge of Death Adder
G.I. Joe
Knights of the Round
The King of Dragons
Mercs
Wild West C.O.W.-Boys of Moo Mesa
Michael Jackson's Moonwalker
Mystic Warriors
Oriental Legend Super
Simpsons
Sunset Riders
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time
Undercover Cops
Vendetta
Violent Storm
Warriors of Fate (Chinese warriors)
WWF Wrestlefest
X-Men

...most tend to fall into the beat-em-up/hack and slash category it seems... (which is my favorite actually!)
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Are there any top-down, or isometric view racers for up to 4 players, like Micro Machines, on MAME? Those are not co-op, though. Gun games for up to four (earlier than Ghost Squad Wii port)? Co-op Tetris-likes in MAME - there might be some (I know about console-exclusive Tetrises with co-op).
Gauntlet-likes, but the ones I'd sincerely recommend are, again, exclusively on consoles (namely Dungeon Explorer - for up to five! - and Dark Legacy in twin-sticks "ROBOTRON" mode). Would like to know about some that are any good on MAME myself.
Any platformers or shmups for at least 3? Some Darius game?
Virtua Tennis, but I think about home versions. Doesn't Power Stone 2 have co-op?
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Top down racers aren't personally my cup of tea, but I do know of a weird one that allows 4 players (might be a dip switch setting, I've also seen it set to 2 players) called Escape Kids:

https://retrovania-vgjunk.blogspot.com/ ... rcade.html

Tetris The Grand Master 2 has a coop mode, and I think MAME supports it.

For platformers, there's a good number of 4 player ones like Sunset Riders, Mystic Warriors, and Moo Mesa (all of these are Konami, Moo Mesa is the most forgiving of the three due to a full invulnerability dodge mechanic). The only 3 player shmups in MAME that come to mind are Turbo Force and Fixeight. Fixeight is the better of the two in my opinion.
davyK

Post by davyK »

Check out the Bishi Bashi series of games. There are console versions (it first appeared on PS1) but it's originally a series of arcade games so it should be available to run in MAME.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

The real Irem M-92 powered jamma pcb of Ninja Baseball Bat Man has the overall low outputting RGB brightness levels issue going on when booted up on a low res 15.7kHz RGB monitor setup (this issue applies to all M-92 based arcade titles). I have to crank up the brightness to compensate for that particular pressing issue alone. Sure, it's supports up to four players for that all-out brawling mayhem/madness going on. Less than 800 of the JPN region NBBM pcbs were made/sold for the Japanese game centers during it's initial release/distribution back in the day.

NBBM has very colorful and detailed sprites set within it's wacky & zany overall baseball theme prevalent throughout the entire game from the beginning to the eventual conclusion indeed (and never takes itself seriously).

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
qmish

Post by qmish »

Thanks much for suggestions.
What's the age of your audience? I
Ah, they are pretty much retrogamers. Actually, it was revealed that they already played C.O.W.-Boys of Moo Mesa, Mystic Warriors and Ninja Baseball Batman.
Ixmucane2

Post by Ixmucane2 »

Also notable:
  • Bomber Man World, Dynablaster, most other Bomberman games
  • Gauntlet
  • Various NBA Jam games
  • Snow Bros. 2