RetroTINK 5x-Pro

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
orange808

Re: RetroTINK 5x-Pro

Post by orange808 »

Tempest_2084 wrote:
orange808 wrote: Looks like LED ghosting to me.
What would cause that and is there a fix?
Well, if it is LED ghosting, the problem is the LED "pixels" don't completely reach 100% "brightness" before they are "turned off". Scrolling makes appears to make things change color. So, you can reduce the brightness or get a display with better response time. (Provided that's what is happening.)
Last edited by orange808 on Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We apologise for the inconvenience
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

get an OLED TV instead. That's caused by the low color transition times of your TV's panel. It's especially bad on dark colors (like the blue to black you got going with Moonwalker). You will notice it considerably less with games that primarily use bright colors.
Tempest_2084

Post by Tempest_2084 »

Well I guess I'll just have to live with it then because I'm not getting a new TV (this TV is only 4 or 5 years old) just to make some old games look good. I guess I can always use my CRT for games like this.

The TV is a D39F-E1 if that helps any.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

I mean, $200 Vizio Walmart special, I can't watch your video on mobile but that's probably going to be the TV, you get what you pay for. Not to say that isn't a lot for plenty of people, but it's definitely the bottomed out very small margin low end as far as TVs go.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Tempest_2084

Post by Tempest_2084 »

bobrocks95 wrote:I mean, $200 Vizio Walmart special, I can't watch your video on mobile but that's probably going to be the TV, you get what you pay for. Not to say that isn't a lot for plenty of people, but it's definitely the bottomed out very small margin low end as far as TVs go.
The weird thing is that all my modern game systems seem to have no problem with it. In fact this is the first time I've run into an issue.
mikechi2

Post by mikechi2 »

Your modern games probably don't have low-resolution pixel graphics either, which would make this more noticeable.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

Tempest_2084 wrote:
bobrocks95 wrote:I mean, $200 Vizio Walmart special, I can't watch your video on mobile but that's probably going to be the TV, you get what you pay for. Not to say that isn't a lot for plenty of people, but it's definitely the bottomed out very small margin low end as far as TVs go.
The weird thing is that all my modern game systems seem to have no problem with it. In fact this is the first time I've run into an issue.
Yep. Definitely more noticable with chunky pixel art. Just think of it as a future benefit when you do get an OLED.

Your website is really cool, by the way. I appreciate it.
We apologise for the inconvenience
Tempest_2084

Post by Tempest_2084 »

orange808 wrote:
Yep. Definitely more noticable with chunky pixel art. Just think of it as a future benefit when you do get an OLED.

Your website is really cool, by the way. I appreciate it.
You're probably right there. Oh well, can't have it all. I turned down the brightness some, hopefully that will lessen the problem.

Thanks for the kind words about my site, I appreciate it.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Hardly a reason to immediately replace a working TV or anything, for sure.
Probably more than just "pixel art" being the problem, it's large patches of solid colors that you're going to see on older games with limited cartridge space for graphics.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Tempest_2084

Post by Tempest_2084 »

bobrocks95 wrote:Hardly a reason to immediately replace a working TV or anything, for sure.
Probably more than just "pixel art" being the problem, it's large patches of solid colors that you're going to see on older games with limited cartridge space for graphics.
I guess I'll have to do some testing. Odd that this is the first time I noticed it.
thebigcheese

Post by thebigcheese »

bobrocks95 wrote:Hardly a reason to immediately replace a working TV or anything, for sure.
You wouldn't notice it if it was just a solid color. It's repeating patterns, especially ones that have a bright color with dark lines, where it's most noticeable. And as others have said, you don't find that very often in modern games.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

thebigcheese wrote:
You wouldn't notice it if it was just a solid color. It's repeating patterns, especially ones that have a bright color with dark lines, where it's most noticeable. And as others have said, you don't find that very often in modern games.
I did a bad job explaining, I meant to say large patches of solid colors that then have a sprite or some other sort of very high-contrast transition moving through them. Either way, doesn't really matter, it all comes down to old games exposing display shortcomings.
Tempest_2084

Post by Tempest_2084 »

Well it seems to work great for most games so I'm still happy. It seems that Moonwalker is good at exposing the problem.
lilpetamoix

Post by lilpetamoix »

Hello, have two questions for the community.

1. Are there ways to lessen or mitigate horizontal combing effects? I mainly play 2D fighting games on PS2 via SCART. I believe the only method was to use a combination of bob and scanlines which I would like to avoid, if possible. Bob gives me a headache and I don't personally prefer scanlines.

2. What's the horizontal resolution of 480p? For some reason, DSC 301 is showing 1440 as the horizontal resolution from Retrotink 5X's input. My setup is below.

My setup is: PS2 SCART -> Retrotink 5X (480p) -> DSC 301 (480p) -> mClassic (1080p with 4:3 mode)

I use mClassic because it smooths out the pixels on the 2D sprites (personal preference).

I use DSC 301 in-between because for some reason I couldn't get mClassic to output in the right layout, if I plugged it directly into Retrotink. It looked stretched no matter what I did, even with 4:3 mode on mClassic. Since mClassic works best with 480p materials, I set DSC 301 to output to 480p and let mClassic apply its smoothing effect and also upscale to 1080p.

Upon using DSC 301 in the chain above, I noticed it was showing input of 1440 x 480 resolution from Retrotink. I kind of doubt DSC 301 would capture incorrect resolution but not sure if Retrotink would output at that resolution either. Anyone else notice this as well?
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

The motion adaptive deinterlacing setting shouldn't have any combing artifacts visible, have you tried it?
lilpetamoix

Post by lilpetamoix »

bobrocks95 wrote:The motion adaptive deinterlacing setting shouldn't have any combing artifacts visible, have you tried it?
Yes, I'm currently using motion adaptive as that was described as the best deinterlacer.

In fact, I believe that was the default selection after I upgraded to the latest firmware.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

I'd suggest trying 1080p output from the RT5X directly on the display and seeing if you still see the combing artifacts. If you do, that would rule out the rest of the chain as the cause.
strayan

Post by strayan »

lilpetamoix wrote: Upon using DSC 301 in the chain above, I noticed it was showing input of 1440 x 480 resolution from Retrotink. I kind of doubt DSC 301 would capture incorrect resolution but not sure if Retrotink would output at that resolution either. Anyone else notice this as well?
viewtopic.php?p=1454705#p1454705
lilpetamoix

Post by lilpetamoix »

strayan wrote:
lilpetamoix wrote: Upon using DSC 301 in the chain above, I noticed it was showing input of 1440 x 480 resolution from Retrotink. I kind of doubt DSC 301 would capture incorrect resolution but not sure if Retrotink would output at that resolution either. Anyone else notice this as well?
viewtopic.php?p=1454705#p1454705
ah, thank you that takes care of the unusual resolution.
ulihox

Post by ulihox »

Is it possible to connect a mister fpga to retrotink 5k and take advantage of the scanline filters?
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

ulihox wrote:Is it possible to connect a mister fpga to retrotink 5k and take advantage of the scanline filters?
Yep, use direct video mode via the HDMI + a DAC or the analogue output from an IO board, just have to jump through one or two hoops to connect to the SCART or YPbPr inputs of the 5X.
ulihox

Post by ulihox »

fernan1234 wrote: Yep, use direct video mode via the HDMI + a DAC or the analogue output from an IO board, just have to jump through one or two hoops to connect to the SCART or YPbPr inputs of the 5X.
Great!! Thank you.
aalb1970

Post by aalb1970 »

Just got my Retrotink 5X Pro and in general it works like marvel, especially with my RGB modded Japanese Nintendo 64 and OG Xbox.

I do however experience some problems with my PS1 and PS2, both PAL machines. To be more specific the picture shifts slightly off center to the right when I use the 1080p fill, over and under options. This is not to bothersome in 4:3 games, but rather distracting in 16:9 games. It happens in both NTSC and PAL games. It's very noticeable in the PS2 dashboard where the last part of the right side of the image is visible on the left side. It looks like a horizontal shift error. Curiously, the 720p resolution seems to be fine and the image is fully centered.

Setup
Retrotink 5X => Sony AVR => LG OLED B7V.

I also have an OSSC which doesn't have this issue, and I suspect it must be related to the way the Retrotink 5X interprets and scales the PS1 and PS2 PAL output in the dashboard before the game boots.

Any suggestions regarding a fix or work-around would be appreciated.
PearlJammzz

Post by PearlJammzz »

ulihox wrote:Is it possible to connect a mister fpga to retrotink 5k and take advantage of the scanline filters?
You can do component out of the analog port I believe. https://misteraddons.com/products/vga-t ... pbpr-cable I haven't tried it but I believe you can select YPbPr in the settings for mister and it'll send out a component signal through its analog port. If you get it working please let us know if there is anything tricky you have to do. I'll likely be doing the same thing once I can get my hands on a RT5x
strayan

Post by strayan »

I still wish mike would add SoG support to the RCA inputs (this is not a request).

Extron DVI RGB interfaces are easy to find and cheap.
ulihox

Post by ulihox »

PearlJammzz wrote: You can do component out of the analog port I believe. https://misteraddons.com/products/vga-t ... pbpr-cable I haven't tried it but I believe you can select YPbPr in the settings for mister and it'll send out a component signal through its analog port. If you get it working please let us know if there is anything tricky you have to do. I'll likely be doing the same thing once I can get my hands on a RT5x
I'm waiting for a retrotink 5x as well. I hope I get one from the next batch. I'll give my impressions with the mister fpga as soon as I can.
linkoiram

Post by linkoiram »

Hi guys, new here. This appears to be one of the most active dedicated retro games forum on the net from what I've seen. I have a couple questions...
Finally got my 5x-pro and updated it last night. Nice device. I also recently got an LG OLED C1 55 inch, and I notice with modern HDR games on game mode the colors are about equivalent to the standard picture mode, but using non HDR game mode (ie for the 5x pro) the colors look totally washed out and worse than a crt. The issue is game optimizer is pretty much required to reduce lag, but is there a way to restore the colors to be equivalent to the other picture modes without cranking up the color depth? It appears the washed out game mode colors are a feature, not a bug.
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

fernan1234 wrote:
Yep, use direct video mode via the HDMI + a DAC or the analogue output from an IO board, just have to jump through one or two hoops to connect to the SCART or YPbPr inputs of the 5X.
Am I mistaken, or is one of the hoops for going from MiSTer to SCART getting the sync output down from TTL to consumer grade?
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

SavagePencil wrote:Am I mistaken, or is one of the hoops for going from MiSTer to SCART getting the sync output down from TTL to consumer grade?
I think the MiSTer can be set up to output at video level rather than TTL, at least from the analogue IO board, so in that case you'd just need a Dsub to SCART adapter/cable. Not 100% sure on this though. Otherwise yeah an adapter/cable with attenuation would be needed.
retrofan01

Post by retrofan01 »

I've never been a scanline person until the latest 5X-Pro firmware came out but the aperture grille scanlines have made me a convert, to the point where I was thinking about getting this cable from RetroGamingCables to run from my MiSTer w/ analogue I/O board -> gscartsw -> 5X-Pro solely to take advantage of them:

https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/ana ... packapunch

The only thing I'm hesitant about is whether MiSTer will get similar scanlines natively at some point and how much of a loss in video/audio quality there'll be when going from digital to analogue and back to digital again?