What [not shmup] game are you playing now?

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
null1024

Re: What [not shmup] game are you playing now?

Post by null1024 »

Blinge wrote:
null1024 wrote:Had a bunch of fun matches in Guilty Gear Strive [PC]
Totsugeki does work with online! It has worked for me the second time I tried it and from then on. Maybe it just works on the second time? dunno

Yeah I picked up some wins against randos yesterday, like braindead Sol idiot #344 who tried to walk forward and grab me 3 times. I mixed him 2 def in the corner. Felt good man cause I got bodied previously in 12 matches by a chipp girl on my friendlist, wasn't even close, felt like i couldn't hit a button.

Game's settled me at Floor 6 in the tower. I might be here a while.

I'm glad we're both enjoying it a bit more. The final boss is Squire Grooktook, waiting up there with Ram
Hah. I keep floating around floors 6-8 right now.
I'm not sure if it's Totsugeki or what, but every once in a while, the game stops feeding me fights, getting stuck if I try and re-enter the online lobby, so I have to restart the game. I still have odd issues when launching the game directly after playing too long, but I don't know if I've had this particular problem without the launcher.

I need to pick up a second character, I like playing May, but I really should see what else the rest of the cast has to offer. Tried Ram, wasn't too fond of her playstyle. Might pick up Axl or Sol.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

No self respecting person mains sol badguy
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

Blinge wrote:No self respecting person mains sol badguy
Says the player that gets wrecked by Sol Badguy.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

I mean, it's between the lines you don't have to spell it out
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

It's okay I speak from personal experience.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

[wrong thread.]
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

null1024

Post by null1024 »

Blinge wrote:No self respecting person mains sol badguy
I play May, I don't need self-respect. :lol: Pointlessly short combos and huge damage off of stray hits so I can pretend I'm playing SamSho is where it's at.
Also, I feel like a dum-dum: didn't realize there was a dash button in Strive. It's something else.
imagine being able to hold charge while dashing because you never let go of back, haha
Apart from that, Strive feels like it was designed properly around it. Imagine how busted a dash button would be in earlier GG games, jeez.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

null1024 wrote: imagine being able to hold charge while dashing because you never let go of back, haha
Jesus christ >_<

hey Null I met my first May online the other day.
She just did crouching slash>dolphin repeatedly in a loop.
how the fuck do i escape that?

I tried throwing out a 6P hoping to counter it with upper body invincibility but i can't get out of blockstun quick enough
null1024

Post by null1024 »

Blinge wrote:
null1024 wrote: imagine being able to hold charge while dashing because you never let go of back, haha
Jesus christ >_<

hey Null I met my first May online the other day.
She just did crouching slash>dolphin repeatedly in a loop.
how the fuck do i escape that?

I tried throwing out a 6P hoping to counter it with upper body invincibility but i can't get out of blockstun quick enough
If you're staggered, try to escape that ASAP, because I just tried this out in training after landing a staggered hit and I can keep the loop up until wallbreak if the opponent doesn't break out. Burst if you really have to.

However, once you're no longer staggered, you can backdash away after blocking the dolphin. Remember, you never have to let go of back, just press the dash button. When the opponent tries to dolphin again, you can just whack it.
After the other hit, you should have better options, although not 6P, that loses consistently to pretty much anything crouching. You can 6P the dolphin right in its stupid face. :lol:
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

right but when my ass is backed up into the corner?
null1024

Post by null1024 »

Went to play mini golf with a buddy and they had an arcade, so we played a bunch of Space Invaders Frenzy. It has this really cool massive screen of discrete LEDs, and it looks amazing.
It's also pretty fun, you've got a targeting reticle and a big gun setup like in Rail Chase or Jurassic Park.
It gets very intense, the game has red enemies that zip across the screen like mad. I kept trying to keep us from dying while my buddy kept shooting enemies up top. Better strategy would have helped, we did a lot of hitting waves in dumb spots where they'd begin to descend faster. :lol:
Some of the powerups are ridiculously good and can absolutely turn around a situation where it's almost certain death into perfect safety, felt good.
Blinge wrote:right but when my ass is backed up into the corner?
Against the wall, yeah, you don't have that nice backdash.
If you aren't staggered, you should be able to 6P the dolphin before it comes out after blocking May's 2S. Dolphin loses consistently.
Failing that, if you have a super you can do as a reversal, throw it out. If you don't, then press roman cancel while blocking, which will give you some space to do something.
If you are staggered, and you can't recover from the stagger, then your best bet is either burst or to just eat the wallbreak. That's just a bad situation period, regardless of May's shenanigans.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Picked up Psychonauts 2 on launch day; I might be forgetting something, but off the cuff it might be the first digital title I've paid a full 60 bucks for. I snagged the first one for a song way back when and enjoyed it, so I was glad to see they managed to get the sequel made and figured I owed them at least one full price purchase by now, especially since I finally have a laptop that can run it (it defaulted to "Medium" graphics settings with my GTX 2060 despite it being above the recommended specs, but for my purposes it's fine, and I can tweak the individual settings if I have to).

As for the game itself, it's been some time since I played the original but my memory is telling me, at least a couple of hours in, that this new one is quite faithful to it, in both structure and overall "feel"; early blurb would be the stock "if you liked the first you'll probably be good here, if you weren't a fan there's not much here to change your mind". Will have to see if that holds up as I get further in...
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

null1024 wrote:
Blinge wrote:right but when my ass is backed up into the corner?
Against the wall, yeah, you don't have that nice backdash.
If you aren't staggered, you should be able to 6P the dolphin before it comes out after blocking May's 2S. Dolphin loses consistently.
Failing that, if you have a super you can do as a reversal, throw it out. If you don't, then press roman cancel while blocking, which will give you some space to do something.
If you are staggered, and you can't recover from the stagger, then your best bet is either burst or to just eat the wallbreak. That's just a bad situation period, regardless of May's shenanigans.
Yo that's great advice thanks man
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Have some store credit left after a pre pay from a while back at my lgs. Picked up GI JOE Blackout and John Wick Hex cause why not?

Blackout is ok. Something to play when I don't want to think at all. Gameplay is uninspired which is remarkably sad cause everything else is so good. It's basically run from point a to point b and shoot everything.

John Wick Hex is a fun little strategy game. The idea is well executed but the game lacks polish. Definitely some jank here and there, but not enough to ruin it. A patch or two could work wonders cause it could be incredible with a little more work.
My lord, I have come for you.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

The first Kororinpa, TrackMania (Wii), both single-player. Although my left hand is injuried - after long-time-no-playing a thing, I was doing fine. Both are somewhat ultimate at getting wild with their playful game engines. Those cases when everything is there: the tech, the game design (if sometimes rudimentary presentation) AND immense wealth of content that is all essence, all business. On top of that - extremely family-friendly, which mattered to me this time, since my nephew's personal request was initial reason why I revisited 'em. Just nothing toxic about things.
Times like these make feel a tad less awkward about my backlog of jRPGs and whatnot.
Last edited by Obiwanshinobi on Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The way out is cut off

DenimDemon

Post by DenimDemon »

Well im sure its not a general consensus.... But after 20 hours of gameplay i can say im enjoying my time with Daemon X Machina. Like a lot and definitely more than i thought i would.

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

Obiwanshinobi wrote:The first Kororinpa, TrackMania (Wii), both single-player. Although my left hand is injuried - after long-time-no-playing a thing, I was doing fine.
I had started to get achey elbows and wrists from way too much gaming over lockdown, holding them in the same position for hours on end, day after day. I found that the Switch's joycons, independent with the wrist strap attachments, were a great fix. I could comfortably hold my arms & wrists in any position I wanted to. Wiimote & nunchuk is also good for this, but the little joycons might be a bit more ergonomic.

Does works better for rpgs & such than shooters though.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

I've yet to try out my arcade stick and flightstick in this current condition of mine, as well as mouse & keyboard style PC games. Those few old Wii faves are likely to keep me busy 'till I recover, though. It remains the most recent console I've really played a lot on. Seems to me that the sort of games I end up actually playing nowadays are exclusively downloads anymore. Well, Wii has them on disks and I've amassed so many that, even loading them off HDD, I'm simply not nearly done with the lot. Heck, I could use a new PC and I've got money for this kind of purchase handy, but - I just can't be bothered.

There's also that matter of being an uncle - it seems more appropriate to present older games and systems to another generation since I have what it takes to do so. They might as well introduce ME to the new ways at some point. That's how generations can cooperate rather than rivalise, I hope.
The way out is cut off

Marc

Post by Marc »

Not what I am currently playing, I must make clear....
My youngest (6) is currently obsessed with Sonic the Hedgehog. I had to sit for an entire afternoon with her and my 4-year old nephew while they played bits of EVERY Sonic game on the Xbox (from the top of my head, Sonic 1, CD, Mania, 4, Adventure 1, Generations, and the latest racer). My partner piped up last week that I didn't own her favourite Sonic game - Unleashed. So obviously, like a moron, I bought it.

Fuck. Me. This is beyond words.

The 3D platform bits are your average 3D Sonic game - hold forward, press jump occasionally, marvel at the pretty graphics, wonder how they haven't made a single decent Sonic game in 3D despite Nintendo having shown them how to do it for over 20 years.

BUT! There are beat-em-up levels with Sonic the Werewolf? Werehog? It's the most fuck-awful thing I think I've played in my entire adult life. After five minutes of button-mashing, the 7-year old handed me the controller to do a boss. Which you do by mashing again, but only until its lost half its energy, at which point you do a QTE or it gets it all back.

Then there's an on-rails shooting bit. But you can't control your plane, and it is also entirely QTE-based.

By this point I'd lost the will to live, I'm going to order the remastered Colours and pretend I've lost this.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Yesterday was a lot of RDR 2 Online. I played many hours, and 50% of that time was spent at the poker table. I had a lot of fun with it and could see it becoming a semi regular thing I do in it.
My lord, I have come for you.
WarsongStar

Post by WarsongStar »

Im playing WoW TBC currently and waiting for New World.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Finished up Psychonauts 2, and my initial impressions held up throughout, as this is a sequel in the most traditional sense of the word; additional stuff, fancier graphics, a few tweaks, otherwise more of what came before. On the one hand, this means that the camera, platforming and combat can still be squirrely at times (something the game seems to tacitly admit via its generous amount of life refills), but on the other the areas are still fun to experience and the dialogue is still good for some chuckles. As I said in my previous post if the first game didn't impress you this one won't either, but if you enjoyed the former and don't demand a huge leap forward you're likely in good hands here, especially since this sort of 3D platformer is something of a rare bird in this day and age to begin with.
null1024

Post by null1024 »

Still waiting for my PSU to arrive [the weekend+labor day is making it take literally twice as long as it should, but it should be here Wednesday], so I can't play more Strive like I wanted.
I played a bit of 02UM in the meantime and man, I've gotten bad at KOF.
Marc wrote: The 3D platform bits are your average 3D Sonic game - hold forward, press jump occasionally, marvel at the pretty graphics, wonder how they haven't made a single decent Sonic game in 3D despite Nintendo having shown them how to do it for over 20 years.

BUT! There are beat-em-up levels with Sonic the Werewolf? Werehog? It's the most fuck-awful thing I think I've played in my entire adult life. After five minutes of button-mashing, the 7-year old handed me the controller to do a boss. Which you do by mashing again, but only until its lost half its energy, at which point you do a QTE or it gets it all back.

Then there's an on-rails shooting bit. But you can't control your plane, and it is also entirely QTE-based.

By this point I'd lost the will to live, I'm going to order the remastered Colours and pretend I've lost this.
Unleashed's daytime stages are okay.
It's an absolute shame that comprises like 20% of the game vs the werehog bullshit. :lol:
Also, that game has a bunch of garbage involving stage progression [lmao medals].

Sega has spent the last 20+ years on trying to pad Sonic games out with something more than just being a straight Sonic game -- Colors is probably the closest mainline game that hasn't been full of bullshit in that time, except they still went and chopped the stages up and threw in a bunch of gimmick levels to pad things out. They also keep rushing these things out the door despite pretty much everyone being willing to wait for something that doesn't suck at this point.

Oh, and you miiiight want to wait on the Colors remaster until they patch it, supposedly it has some nasty graphics bugs right now where the whole screen freaks out completely.
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

null1024 wrote:I played a bit of 02UM in the meantime and man, I've gotten bad at KOF.
2002 is more forgiving than previous entries, but Kof in general still has more strict inputs than most games out there. Especially current day stuff. Between that and the huge number of matchups, it's easy to backslide if you've been off it for a while.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

null1024 wrote:Colors is probably the closest mainline game that hasn't been full of bullshit in that time
Dude. Sonic Generations. It's basically the best part of Colours and the day stages in Unleashed, and then a bit more polish on top of that. Very replayable, and kinda the only decent Sonic game since S3K.
Also the wisp mechanic in Sonic Colours are pretty bullshit :D It seems they just exist to ruin the flow of a stage.
Mortificator

Post by Mortificator »

I was surprised at how much I enjoyed Colors back on the Wii. For just about the first time in the series I wanted to do 100%. The Genesis Sonics always gated Chaos Emeralds behind BS minigames like Half-Pipe and the rancid Blue Spheres. In Colors, firstly, there are red rings hidden in each act and collecting them involves engaging in exploration & execution challenges within the primary gameplay, not some sideshow. The rings unlock 'simulator' challenge stages - still based on 2D platforming - that lead to Chaos Emeralds and becoming Super Sonic. And finally, replaying the stages in your new super form gives a fresh experience, with it being so much faster and not using (or needing to use) wisps. Both the journey and the destination are rewarding.

So I had a lot of hype for Generations, and while it's better than Unleashed, it screws up in ways Colors didn't. A lot of those red rings just unlock jpegs and mp3s. The rest unlock skills, which you go into menus and equip on your character within a point value. Not only am I kind of doubtful that I want equipables in Sonic at all, such a system was done better in Sonic and the Black Knight, of all places. Super Sonic is also automatically given for beating the final boss, and is now a skill, and is nerfed to be slowed and lose rings more rapidly, and gets knocked back to normal Sonic by using wisp powers...

I'm not a fan of literally every stage being a rehash, either. One thing I'll give Generations is that it has much better boss fights. Until the lame final boss.

As for what I've been playing, Beyond: Two Souls finally did its due. I was expecting to get a lot of dumb moments to share with y'all, but it's told with considerably more competence than Heavy Rain or Fahrenheit. No longer are supporting roles performed by random people in the office, and of course Page and Dafoe do a good job. Unfortunately, the core plot wasn't too compelling. It could have been pulled from a lower-tier X-Men comic.

There no longer seem to be game overs, and failing QTEs just pushes the chapter down a different path. While I'm usually against this kind of thing, I think there's little value in repeating long Simon Says sequences (like the agonizing one in Fahrenheit where your furniture tries to murder you). This re-release adds screens at the end of each chapter that list the various decision points, your choices, and what percent of other players went down them (a la Catherine).
RegalSin wrote:You can't even drive across the country Naked anymore
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I never really paid attention to what the red rings unlock, and I don't think it matters. A massive difference from Colours to Generations is that in the latter game, the red rings are always placed along the fastest route through the stage, meaning you never have to slow down to get them. In Colours there's a bunch of stopping, waiting around, exploring, all those kinda things that don't really mesh well with a Sonic gam IMO.
null1024

Post by null1024 »

Sumez wrote:
null1024 wrote:Colors is probably the closest mainline game that hasn't been full of bullshit in that time
Dude. Sonic Generations. It's basically the best part of Colours and the day stages in Unleashed, and then a bit more polish on top of that. Very replayable, and kinda the only decent Sonic game since S3K.
Also the wisp mechanic in Sonic Colours are pretty bullshit :D It seems they just exist to ruin the flow of a stage.
Generations still has the Classic Sonic levels. They're not strictly terrible, but Classic Sonic handles really oddly, like his movement was handled by someone who has never played Sonic 1/2/3&K in their life.
Also, the challenge acts in Generations [that the game still makes you do some of] are worse on average than Colors' filler acts. Colors gets some really bad ones though, so I'm not going to make a blanket statement that it's universally better. :P

I'm also tempted to say I didn't like Planet Wisp in Generations, but I didn't like the Colors version of that zone anyway. :lol:
Sumez wrote:I never really paid attention to what the red rings unlock, and I don't think it matters. A massive difference from Colours to Generations is that in the latter game, the red rings are always placed along the fastest route through the stage, meaning you never have to slow down to get them. In Colours there's a bunch of stopping, waiting around, exploring, all those kinda things that don't really mesh well with a Sonic gam IMO.
I always saw the red rings as a reason to go back and take another route that I otherwise wouldn't have bothered with. Having them on the main path discards that.
Also, exploring the levels has always been a pretty key part of Sonic since forever -- the series has always given the player a reason to not strictly travel along the fastest path. In S1, it's to get more rings to get the end-of-stage big ring to appear, in S2, you can basically get every emerald in Emerald Hill by seeking out rings and checkpoints like a maniac, in S3&K, there are the big rings hidden in each stage, in Advance 1, there's the hidden special stage springs, in Advance 2, there are the 7 special rings to find [fuck this shit -- it wouldn't be so bad if the levels were entirely unsuited for backtracking, but if you miss one, you might as well reset], Adventure 2 had the mystic melody shrines and some hidden power-up items, etc, etc.
Like, there are some serious problems with waiting in Colors [those slowly scrolling stages with the platform are the worst], but diverting to get a red ring isn't really anything comparable.
Licorice

Post by Licorice »

Got the 1CC of The Firemen. But it SOFT LOCKED on the final boss (lol the last boss is literally an inanimate window) KO. I think if you get the KO while one of the pipes(?) is bursting it locks, at least that's what I think happened. I left my emulator on fast forward and went away for five mins hoping it will somehow get itself out of the loop but it was not to be. Just my luck. Really took away from the victory too :(

Anyway it was a 100% fire rate, 100% rescue rate 1CC run. Not sure about my time. Probably not great, so probably not a perfect score. Just normal difficulty. Pretty good.

Really love the game. Its very unique. It must be top 10 in its genre (sadly not a genre with a lot of games, of the top of my head you have Granada, Kiki Kaikai, Shock Troopers, Mercs, Nitro Ball, with only the first two counting depending on how strict you are with the definition (need to be able to push scroll in any direction at will))
BIL

Post by BIL »

Good going! Deceptively intense run, that. And indeed, a classic topdown seek/destroy in novel garb. The self-contained suicide mission to the rooftop is up there with Assault Suits Valken for arcade cinema, a 70s disaster flick to Masaya's mecha anime. Wonderfully charming aesthetic and direction, riding the line between good humour and hard peril.

Out of curiosity, was it the Western version? Mortificator discovered it can do some odd things ITT. I think the consensus was 60/50hz refresh conversion antics. I don't think I've seen the SFC one act up, I'd have screamed if it cheated me outta my run. :lol: