Mushi, DDP Res, Esp 2 for Switch

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
bigbadboaz

Re: Mushi, DDP Res, Esp 2 for Switch

Post by bigbadboaz »

To Far Away Times wrote:I love the 8-BitDo controllers. I think they're honestly better than the controllers they're imitating. The SNES pad feels how I remember it feeling with my rose tinted glasses, but it's actually better than the real thing side by side.
No way. Absolutely no way. I agree that their effort in producing something comparable is apparent, but they do not rise above the originals. Particularly the SNES pads, which were/are notorious for firing inaccurate Dpad inputs all over the place. They try, and they deserve credit for raising expectations of third-party imitations, but some of the praise they get is way over the top.
scrilla4rella wrote:
I just found that the same company sells a kit to convert your real Saturn pads to USB wireless so I'm looking forward to going that route at some point.
https://shop.8bitdo.com/products/8bitdo ... controller
Be aware all their DIY kits are Bluetooth and really not fast enough for twitch-type gaming. I continue to hope they'll do a 2.4 GHz DIY line - it's not likely - but until they do I think going that route would be a mistake.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

bigbadboaz wrote: No way. Absolutely no way. I agree that their effort in producing something comparable is apparent, but they do not rise above the originals. Particularly the SNES pads, which were/are notorious for firing inaccurate Dpad inputs all over the place. They try, and they deserve credit for raising expectations of third-party imitations, but some of the praise they get is way over the top.
At least their newer SNES style pads improved. I definitely don't have the input issue with the 2.4G versions of the SN30s for SNES and SNES mini/Wii or the newer Pros. The older SN30 pro actually had the opposite issue, an overly tight d-pad, though it loosened up a bit. I only had the overly sensitive inputs with the BT SN30 models that came with the SNES BT dongles. I also like the Genesis pads quite a bit, though I prefer the feel of the Joyzz, the SJ-6000, and the "Made in Japan" MK-1653. They definitely don't have a slightly wobbly dpad like some of the "Made in Malaysia" pads. 8bitdo M30 with the Genesis/MD dongle is definitely my go to choice for the Mega SG, thanks to the menu button.
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

m.sniffles.esq wrote:Well, the Switch has yet to have anything as good as RoLW alone...
I loved that game to death and have not a single bad word to say about it, but Three Houses got 300 hours of my life and I'd go back for more if they released another DLC pack tomorrow. That game is an all-timer, really, really compelling.
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

I loved that game to death and have not a single bad word to say about it, but Three Houses got 300 hours of my life and I'd go back for more if they released another DLC pack tomorrow. That game is an all-timer, really, really compelling.

Not to derail the thread but: I really have to give Three Houses another look. I took it out from the library coincidently at exactly the same time they released the Langrisser re-whatevers. First off, the games are VERY similar. Second, Langrisser ended up pulling me in much more. It was just quicker to get to the meat of things, while Three Houses sort of took it's time (an understatement). But I always meant to give Three Houses another look whenever I wasn't playing something so similar (which is probably going to be awhile as I'm currently going through Wasteland 3 and Disgaea 6 is in the offing)
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

m.sniffles.esq wrote:I loved that game to death and have not a single bad word to say about it, but Three Houses got 300 hours of my life and I'd go back for more if they released another DLC pack tomorrow. That game is an all-timer, really, really compelling.

Not to derail the thread but: I really have to give Three Houses another look. I took it out from the library coincidently at exactly the same time they released the Langrisser re-whatevers. First off, the games are VERY similar. Second, Langrisser ended up pulling me in much more. It was just quicker to get to the meat of things, while Three Houses sort of took it's time (an understatement). But I always meant to give Three Houses another look whenever I wasn't playing something so similar (which is probably going to be awhile as I'm currently going through Wasteland 3 and Disgaea 6 is in the offing)
It might take a while to pull you in - it starts off with some very handhold-y tutorial maps, and the hub of the monastery is a colossal and overwhelming space to throw you into at first. The opening few hours are also very happy-go-lucky-elite-high-school anime. But once you pass a certain point, things go in some very surprising directions, and piecing together everything through all three story routes becomes thoroughly engrossing. I also recommend playing on the hardest difficulty you can access if you're familiar with the genre. They did a good job scaling the difficulty levels, but normal is pretty easy to steamroll past a certain point if you know what you're doing.
BloodHawk

Post by BloodHawk »

Kiken wrote:I downloaded it during my lunch break and played a quick Arcade Mode Maniac credit. This release is very responsive (like Ikaruga and Cotton Reboot), so somewhere around a 3-frame delay. To me, this feels tighter than the M2 ESPRa.De. Psy release on Switch.
I was pleasantly surprised at how responsive the controls feel with this being on the Switch. I heard Cotton Reboot was similar but I am waiting for the western eShop release before getting that.

Honestly, if all of the shmups on Switch were as responsive as this Mushi port my Switch library would be at least double what it is now. I have this on PC as well as that is my usual go-to if the game is available, and although I can tell a slight difference in input lag between the two ports (most likely due to the benefit of G-Sync on PC) it's nowhere near bad enough to hinder the fun this game has to offer on Switch.

I know this specific port looks to be a carry over from the Steam version, but between this and Cotton it is making me wonder if developers are finally figuring out how to consistently get the response times down on their Switch games.

Definitely looking forward to DDP Res and Esp 2.
Tachikomatic

Post by Tachikomatic »

Still wondering when Mushi will return to the European Eshop.. its been a while now :(
el3m

Post by el3m »

Did they confirm that it was removed due to a ratings issue? I remember some indie game having similar issue and it took weeks to resolve it, the eShop pipeline for updates is apparently quite horrible
CRP

Post by CRP »

Tachikomatic wrote:Still wondering when Mushi will return to the European Eshop.. its been a while now :(
The final confirmation is currently underway. We think we can resume without too much trouble.
Jul 6, 2021
https://twitter.com/LiveWire_pr/status/ ... 0950724610
CRP

Post by CRP »

:D
The packaged version is still under consideration, but we will do our best.
We want to do it.
https://twitter.com/UltraBosh64/status/ ... 2590227466
Tachikomatic

Post by Tachikomatic »

CRP wrote::D
The packaged version is still under consideration, but we will do our best.
We want to do it.
https://twitter.com/UltraBosh64/status/ ... 2590227466
Awesome :)
Also a packaged version would be so daaamn neat :D
dmk1198

Post by dmk1198 »

Tachikomatic wrote:Still wondering when Mushi will return to the European Eshop.. its been a while now :(
It's winding me up now lol

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk
porchka66

Post by porchka66 »

it seems it´s back now in the European E-Shop, it also got a patch.
JunKSter

Post by JunKSter »

porchka66 wrote:it seems it´s back now in the European E-Shop, it also got a patch.

Thanks I've been waiting for it to return. Got it this evening.
Ms. Tea

Post by Ms. Tea »

I ended up grabbing the Extremerate joycon shell with the dpad to replace the dented up shell on one of my older joycons, and I'm really happy with it. It's not a "real" dpad - no rocker, possible to press opposite directions at the same time. But it *feels* a lot better than using the four butons. I'm playing a lot more comfortably on this in shmups, and finding it a lot easier to do complex inputs in stuff like fighting games too.
Spoiler
SPM

Post by SPM »

Espgaluda II gameplay on Switch:

https://youtu.be/dT9pRrGm57I

Maybe some of you can notice if it looks promising performance-wise.
Me... I'm just really looking forward to finally play it :D
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
el_rika

Post by el_rika »

SPM wrote:Espgaluda II gameplay on Switch:

https://youtu.be/dT9pRrGm57I

Maybe some of you can notice if it looks promising performance-wise.
The slowdown is removed. Maybe it has an option to remove it, like the ios port.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

No slowdown? We are all free now.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Galuda 2 has long on been on my "When I get some free time to really dig in..." list, but goddamn that game feels like homework to learn.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
JBueno MD

Post by JBueno MD »

But I need slowdown in Espgaluda II :(
Harpuia

Post by Harpuia »

Could also be an early build of the port that just doesn't have slowdown implemented yet.
msm

Post by msm »

i'm not qualified enough to say if the slowdown is right or not, but will say the middle section of the video where the bullets turn pink is because the player runs out of gems in the slowdown mode - the bullets are supposed to be fast there.
marus

Post by marus »

I don't think you can make judgements on slowdown from this video. Stage 1 doesn't have much if any slowdown if you don't purposely use kakusei zesshikai to increase the number of bullets on the screen, which this player doesn't do.
el_rika

Post by el_rika »

Stage 1 has noticeable slowdown outside kakusei.

The way that video is played, there should be slowdown in these moments:
1. The first explosion right before taking control of the character
2. The first big enemy explosion (this is slowed down here because the player is in kakusei, but it can be observed that once he goes out of it, the game quickly goes to normal speed, but it should actually keep the slowdown for the entire explosion animation, which it doesn't)
3. Mid boss appearence and explosion
4. Last big enemy explosion

Most likely the slowdown logic is not yet implemented.
Hopefully they don't go the route of having only the hardcoded slowmotion (kakusei), because if the ios port is taken as example, the ultra kakusei mode relies heavily on the non hardcode (play-style dependant) slowdown for the game to be playable at high level.
marus

Post by marus »

My bad, you're right. After watching more closely there should be slowdown with some of the larger enemies and mid boss explosions. Hopefully this is something they fix before the final release, as otherwise the game will be basically unplayable for score (and really hard for survival as well).
Hero of Legend

Post by Hero of Legend »

happy

Post by happy »

Awesome.
I hope they get the leaderboards working, at least they don't seem to be for mushi. Wonder when daifukkatsu will release too, it's the one I'm most excited for right now.
anyways
+1 for the extreme rate joycon shell and
+1 for the 8bitdo pro. Just got 2-all of raiden 4 mikado with it.
Ms. Tea

Post by Ms. Tea »

That's so soon! Really excited, I love Galuda.
NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

Well, there it is...Seeing ESP-G II (and DS2X) finally getting an official English translation is a blessing.
I've Come to Deliver Some Bad Luck!