KV-27V66 I2C RGB Mod

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
coredump

KV-27V66 I2C RGB Mod

Post by coredump »

Hello there. After hitting my head on the wall a little I was able to make the unused RGB input on a 27V66 usable and finally get RGB there. I wrote about it on my buildlog: https://coredump.io/sony_rgb_mod/

The gist of it tho:
  1. Needs something between the Micom and Jungle to alter register 0XA last bit. The Micom sends data in groups of three, so 0XA is actually included on the 0X9 group.
  2. Sync has to be input via SVideo or the image is way to the right, but that seems like a problem existing in other mods too.
  3. I think it needs standby power because of the initial tests/self checks that the micom/jungle do
I still haven't figured out how to make the input name (DVD, Game, etc) disappear from the screen. It wasn't there during one of my tests, but now it's there all the time, even using the display key on the remote.

In any case, maybe this will be helpful to someone. I reckon it will probably work on any set with the same chassis or at least the same jungle ic.
Osirus

Re: KV-27V66 I2C RGB Mod

Post by Osirus »

Excellent work with all of this.
matt

Post by matt »

That is awesome! This could be a game changer for modding Trinitrons. Using the 2nd RGB input always seemed more professional to me than going through the OSD. Not only that, but there are other I2C registers that, if modified, could significantly increase the functionality of video mods on these TVs. Ideally, any BA-4 or BA-4D chassis TV could be made to seamlessly accept composite, s-video, component, and RGB as if it had been designed that way from the factory.

Have you given any thought to the following functions?

Y Sel - Disables external Y input on pin 37. This could simplify modding these TVs for component video, by eliminating the need to split the luma signal for sync and its associated brightness issues.

C Trap Off - On TVs without a separate comb filter (most of the 13" and 20" models), the trap filter is enabled by default. This ruins the picture if you mod the TV for S-Video. It can be disabled in the service menu, but that makes composite look terrible and it's a pain to do this every time you want to switch between Y/C and composite. If there's a way to change this on the fly via the arduino, it would make life much easier for those to want to use S-Video and composite.

H Position - If this value can be modified when RGB blanking is enabled, the horizontal position could be maintained without having to use the service menu. This would be especially helpful to people who want to use S-Video/composite and RGB on the same TV (mostly N64 owners I'd guess). Some Trinitrons have a horizontal position switch that you can wire up to the blanking switch to do this, but it's always good to have more options.

Interlace - This can be modified in the service menu on some of the later flat Trinitrons, but not on the curved BA-4 models. It effectively deinterlaces 480i to 240p by shifting one field by half a line. You can even select which field is shifted. This is great, especially for some of those Ps2 and Xbox 360 shmups that should be 240p but aren't.
coredump

Post by coredump »

matt wrote:That is awesome! This could be a game changer for modding Trinitrons. Using the 2nd RGB input always seemed more professional to me than going through the OSD. Not only that, but there are other I2C registers that, if modified, could significantly increase the functionality of video mods on these TVs. Ideally, any BA-4 or BA-4D chassis TV could be made to seamlessly accept composite, s-video, component, and RGB as if it had been designed that way from the factory.

Have you given any thought to the following functions?

Y Sel - Disables external Y input on pin 37. This could simplify modding these TVs for component video, by eliminating the need to split the luma signal for sync and its associated brightness issues.

C Trap Off - On TVs without a separate comb filter (most of the 13" and 20" models), the trap filter is enabled by default. This ruins the picture if you mod the TV for S-Video. It can be disabled in the service menu, but that makes composite look terrible and it's a pain to do this every time you want to switch between Y/C and composite. If there's a way to change this on the fly via the arduino, it would make life much easier for those to want to use S-Video and composite.

H Position - If this value can be modified when RGB blanking is enabled, the horizontal position could be maintained without having to use the service menu. This would be especially helpful to people who want to use S-Video/composite and RGB on the same TV (mostly N64 owners I'd guess). Some Trinitrons have a horizontal position switch that you can wire up to the blanking switch to do this, but it's always good to have more options.

Interlace - This can be modified in the service menu on some of the later flat Trinitrons, but not on the curved BA-4 models. It effectively deinterlaces 480i to 240p by shifting one field by half a line. You can even select which field is shifted. This is great, especially for some of those Ps2 and Xbox 360 shmups that should be 240p but aren't.
I mean, I assumed there are a bunch of stuff on the i2c regiisters that I could change, but I don't know what half of them mean :D I will check the ones you mentioned. It should be pretty easy/simple to just alter whatever communication is sent from the Micom to the Jungle via i2c.

At this moment I am trying to go away with the input name that keeps appearing. I think I need 0.7 < V < 2.0 volts on the YS2/YM pin.
matt

Post by matt »

Sorry, those ideas have been floating around in my head for months now as I've been experimenting with Trinitron mods! Modifying the I2C signals has the potential to solve most of the problems I've run into, but I have none of the programming experience necessary to make it happen. The one I'm most interested in is the Y Sel value - it could really help with YPbPr modding.

I suppose a quick way of getting rid of the input title would be to disconnect the blanking input from YS2. But that kind of takes away the point of this mod...

I have a KV-27V42 that I've been experimenting with and a couple of Arduino Micros, I'll see if I can try this mod out some time this week and see if I have the same problem.
coredump

Post by coredump »

Yeah I tried the voltage to the YS2/YM pin thing, and it actually darkens the whole output aside from the OSD, so I was able to make the OSD MORE visible :D

I found out that connecting the YS2 to GND makes the OSD all but go away, so I don't see the channel name, but I also don't see anything from the OSD anymore (inclusing volume stuff).

I tried sniffing the I2C code to see if there was something that I could change there to disable the channel showing but it doesn't seem like either. Only changes from the standard traffic is the Video Sel register when I change the inputs.

I am ready to finish the work on this thing and close the tv, so I may just do that and call it a day.

I was thinking about making a more generic version of this mod tho, that one can just choose what registers to change. It may be a future thing.
coredump

Post by coredump »

Yeah in the end I have no idea what makes that OSD appear or disappear, so I will just hook up the pin to a GND switch and be done with it. If someday I find out I will come back to this.
coredump

Post by coredump »

matt wrote: H Position - If this value can be modified when RGB blanking is enabled, the horizontal position could be maintained without having to use the service menu. This would be especially helpful to people who want to use S-Video/composite and RGB on the same TV (mostly N64 owners I'd guess). Some Trinitrons have a horizontal position switch that you can wire up to the blanking switch to do this, but it's always good to have more options.
I added an encoder and support to change HPOS using it, works like a charm. Of course it doesn't save the configs but that's actually a better way to do it (since HPOS adjustments like that are supposed to be a temporary thing).

I updated the post and code.
matt

Post by matt »

That's awesome. Having to change the service menu options when switching to and from RGB is kind of a nuisance. Still haven't had time to try the mod out, hopefully soon!
matt_c

Post by matt_c »

Sorry for reviving an old thread here, but this is awesome stuff. I'm just getting into this scene, and I can't explain why, but I'm finding these things really interesting and I keep coming back to this project in one way or another thinking about the potential.

After just writing up about my first s-video mod on my trinitron viewtopic.php?f=6&t=69497&p=1478283#p1478283, I'm wondering where to go from here.

I wanted to get your guy's idea's on this. And forewarning, I'm a developer by trade, but have no hardware (micro) development experience, so let me know if I'm off my rocker with this idea. I have no issue getting my hands dirty with this stuff though.

What if we built a main board to mount the Arduino on, then we
- put a IR unit for the arduino and tie it into the IR sensor on the trinitron (hoping this is possible)
- get a switch to enable/disable the RGB blanking signal to on / off
- Set up something on the arduino to look for the combo of tv/video then 1 to switch to rgb, else disable rgb

Then, we would have an fully enclosed solution, without external switch to enable RGB, while utilizing the existing arduino for extra functionality.

Here's a quick schematic, and after I thought about it, only blanking signal would go to switch, RGB would go right to RGB1 (75R terminated). However, we could build the 75R resistors on this break out board, and just have nice jst connectors to make wiring super easy / nice.
On second thought, we could probably disable the switch all together (since RGB won't go through it anymore, like an initial idea I had) and just send the blanking signal from a pin on the arduino.

This could get extra fancy and we could enable component inputs and switching utilizing this as well, where tv/video -> 1 would do RGB, tv/video -> 2 would do Component.
matt

Post by matt »

Yes, that's absolutely going in the right direction! These jungle chips have so much functionality that's currently going unused, and a mod mod like this would vastly improve how well these TVs work for gaming. It would help a lot with S-Video mods - you could set it to disable CTRP every time the S-Video port is detected, for instance.

The hardware part is pretty simple - really all that's needed is intercepting the I2C signals and triggering blanking for the RGB and YPbPr inputs. There's probably no need for an IR sensor; everything could probably be tied to existing I2C registers from the Micon so you could control everything from the user menu.

Like I mentioned above, I've given this a lot of thought but don't have enough knowledge of programming to make it happen.
matt_c

Post by matt_c »

Great idea's! Although, I really like the idea of switching inputs (and settings) by remote. The little investigation I did into it today makes me think that it might be possible with no extra hardware at all, and just one more line from the arduino going to the existing IR receiver.

This month is looking crazy for me, but in February I should have time to start poking into it. When I do, I'll let you know.