I'm so glad that Hamster's Arcade Archives are a thing.

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Jeneki

Re: I'm so glad that Hamster's Arcade Archives are a thing.

Post by Jeneki »

Yes some of the older releases didn't have the hi-score mode, so the leaderboard is a little out there. Would be nice if those older releases got patched but (shrug).

Double Dragon is a funny one, as it has a bunch of counter stops from people playing on non-default settings to set up an infinite scoring loop.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Pretty sure Double Dragon can be counterstopped on defaults. There's a tricky setup where you get an enemy stuck at the end of a ledge and can milk them for points. Why would it be only on non default settings?

Do you mean setting up the infinite using 2P side?
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

The one I'm aware of is on stage 2: Standing on a lower ledge, getting an enemy into the knee-bash, then releasing and repeating as they wont die as long as you don't finish the last hit. I'd eventually run out of time (and lives), but I noticed you can change the extend rate. If there's a different infinite that works better let me know.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Yeah that's the one I was thinking of. There's also way to use the second player to hold an enemy then infinitely whip them as well as a timer freeze glitch, but tbh I have no idea how they work.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Guerilla War. Ouch. It actively hates you doesn't it?
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
BIL

Post by BIL »

A worthy but unfortunately hamstrung end to the Ikari trilogy. It's that fucking horizontal panning, which is handled in the absolute worst way possible. It'd be one thing if the screen panned ahead of you, ala Raiden - would still be tough, but playable. As it is, you need to memorise swathes of invisible ground, full of enemies often too quick to handle on reflex. Your character simply isn't quick enough to deal with screen-edge panning, nor the game's new ambush spawns.

Ikari and Dogosoken work so well because 1) you can see everything at all times and 2) everything, not just the player, moves at glacial pace. Guevara fucks this up, and so has an entirely unnecessary surface layer of rote memo muck. Note the first boss is probably the game's toughest, and while the last two stages are technically brutal, they're nowhere as bewildering to approach, since they barely pan left/right at all.

All this said, it does break wide open once you know what's out there, and it's also (just like the previous two games) super tight-run. Short and hard as hell, but can't be recommended casually even to Ikari/Dogo vets, owing to the shitty camera.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Yeah, I never got the Ikari 1CC because I lost all patience with the final stretch, but up until there although tough, it's impeccably fair; not the impression I'm getting with GW. It looks and sounds amazing, but yeah.... I'll see how it goes, but I should probably go back and play Victory Road properly first. Hope SAR makes it to AA though. Keep eying up the SNK collection, but reluctant to spend anything other than bargain basement money on it because of the issues you've mentioned.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Ah crap, I totally forgot to mention SAR. Honestly, while SNK40th is shoddy by Hamster/M2 standard, I would say it's just about worth tolerating the occasional right stick freeze for Search And Rescue. Beautiful game. Utterly hardcore, and also a show-stopping Aliens meets The Thing meets JP heavy mecha-action riff.

Surprisingly user-friendly too, more approachable than any of the Ikaris. Player speed and firepower are much comfier, and you have a very useful dodge roll. Even the final stage, while tough, never gets into the bitter extremes of Ikari or Guevara (Dogosoken, paradoxically, throws more at you than either game, but the way it's balanced around the sword, it's never as strict... lose the sword and you're buggered though :lol:)

I still hope SAR shows up on ACA, so it can be enjoyed with Hamster's superb LS-30 emulation, and of course, no control jams. -_- Outright bugs aside, SNK40th's devs apparently cocked up a menu flag, so even if you select twin-stick mode, your character will always aims in the direction he's moving. You can still strafe - ie walk one way while aiming another - but you need to manually hold the stick in the direction. Takes getting used to, but it can be done. Don't bother with the "Robotron" point-to-aim mode, it massacres the audio and framerate. :|

It's a damn shame Digital Eclipse tend to be so cack-handed... in terms of input response and screen scaling, the collection seems more than tolerable, and the selection is brilliant (here's hoping for ACA Bermuda Triangle, Battle Field and Genshitou 1930s, too). Resoundingly knocked down by those issues, though.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

SNK 40th also has a menu option (forgot which one it is, might be the twin stick option) that is supposed to be game specific, but carries over to other games. Come to think of it, I don't remember if the option even worked with the game it was supposed to work with.
SPM

Post by SPM »

Can anyone test the audio settings for Image Fight? Does "Bass Up" lower the shrill sound effects with a good result? I enjoy the OST but those sounds... (I'd love to have a slider for different channels but ACA doesn't have those afaik... And neither does MAME)

EDIT: Never mind... Just played for an hour and kind of got used to it. This game is fantastic! The first 5 stages aren't too bad though, recoveries are feasible at every checkpoint so far (I think I've tried them all haha). I thought it was harder... but I guess I haven't seen anything yet :lol:
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
Fingolfin

Post by Fingolfin »

This week!

Space Battleship Gomorrah
Bioship Paladin

Sugoi!!
BIL

Post by BIL »

Nice. :cool: One of those weird as hell (UPL, after all) STGs I'd normally never expect to see arcade-perfect on console. Quite fond of the MD cart, despite its fairly grinding slowdown the crosshair gunning shines. A buy on sight for me.
SPM wrote:Can anyone test the audio settings for Image Fight? Does "Bass Up" lower the shrill sound effects with a good result? I enjoy the OST but those sounds... (I'd love to have a slider for different channels but ACA doesn't have those afaik... And neither does MAME)

EDIT: Never mind... Just played for an hour and kind of got used to it. This game is fantastic! The first 5 stages aren't too bad though, recoveries are feasible at every checkpoint so far (I think I've tried them all haha). I thought it was harder... but I guess I haven't seen anything yet :lol:
Gahh! I was gonna check this out, but couldn't tear myself away from Bloodborne and forgot :oops: I totally get what you mean about IREM M72 sfx - they can be really piercing, especially opposite the generally heavy, metallic, crunchy BGM that hardware excels at. Glad you were able to get along, it's an essential STG imo. :smile: First loop isn't too bad tbh, I'd certainly rather compete at that than Gradius III's. The loop is, predictably enough, much nastier, with calculatedly meaner enemy spawns and way harder recoveries. Even then, I'm feeling pretty good about a 2-ALL.

It's a surprisingly generous game, within its parameters - if you die, you might be in deep shit, but between your speed control and the big guns, plus some tricky finesse mechanics (booster burn, Option Shoot, tactical powerup ram, and not to forget Option Teabag :shock:), you've got plenty of tools to ensure that doesn't happen.

Bangin' OST from mad M72 professor Masahiko Ishida, too! I get the feeling that, in comparison to X-Multiply's sullenly driven creep-rock, R-Type II's relentless intensity and Saigo no Nindou's sinister feudal pulse, he wanted to bust loose with some (relatively) feelgood, Top-Gunning flight school metal. Loose Loose Loose makes me think of ZZ Top, without actually ripping off ZZ Top ala 1944. :mrgreen: Final Mission reminds me a lot of New Order circa Blue Monday - again without literally blagging their tunes ala Super Aleste. Image Cool dude, legit rockstar who left IREM cos he wanted 2 RAWK Image
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

I also had a bit of a problem with the shrill sound effects in Image Fight and then quickly learned to love it. There's a certain gritty cacophony that comes from the combo of the OST and the effects. Certain shmup sounds can be really challenging though. I remember picking up a Blazing Star MVS cart back in the day when it was dirt cheap and I had only seen screen shots. I was simultaneously wowed by the game and frustrated by the infamous "BONUS." I would never even try to play Uo Poko in Dangun (WTF was Cave thinking with that sound effect!?) and for some reason Ketsui's relatively innocuous lock on sound is particularly grating to my ears.

No doubt arcade sound design was a different beast as designers had to ensure that certain effects would rise through the din and give each game a trademark identity. Anyone who visited an arcade in the 2000s probably remembers hearing Storm from MvC2 with her piercing Ohh! Ohh! Ohh! rising over the fray of every other game there also on full blast volume.

Fortunately these things sort of wear off in time and you can almost learn to unhear them or tune them out once you put some hours into a game. That is unless you're playing Uo Poko.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

I know they have UPL's catalog... but man, Bioship Paladin, didn't this one have a trackball in the arcades? Twin stick support maybe? Or something worse and cumbersome!

BTW I've grown on Image Fight's sfx myself. They're so distinct from just about every other arcade shooter, for good (or bad?). The explosion of zako, that high digital chirp, might be my favorite. A similar sound plays when the more organic enemies burst open in Metal Black.
BIL

Post by BIL »

I guess they'll go with twinsticks, looking forward to finding out. :mrgreen: I usually go with pad/move and stick/aim, in that case. True trackball motion might be trickier to translate than Ikari et al's simple eight-way rotation, but ACA's usually pretty good at config options.
EmperorIng wrote:The explosion of zako, that high digital chirp, might be my favorite. A similar sound plays when the more organic enemies burst open in Metal Black.
Great catch! Totally noticing that, now you mention it. Stage 4/CRYSTAL LIZE and Stage 6/TIME are symphonies of chirpy carnage. Odd in a game with some very gritty *BAOHH* and *BLAOW* splosions. st5 boss GHOST got a nice soundscape of both, and the game's most punishingly tribal BGM "Phantasm" to boot. Tan/Tan/Tan-Tan-Tan... AND a killer scene too! Thought you could hide in the asteroid belt, hmm? Too bad this place is... FUCKIN HAUNTED! :shock: Image Image

---

Out now on NTSCJ PS4. :cool:

In the sphere where I was born
Lived a man, who went to space
And he told us of his life
Blasting xenos, up in they face~

We all live in a fugly submarine, fugly submarine, fugly submarine...

JK, I love GOMORRAH-KUN's design - it's like a Space Winnebago :shock: You could park several HMS DILDO VERDES in this comfy ride! :cool: If you get blowed up you're gonna slim down, but loss of armour is a two-way street :o

I don't know the AC ver, at all, but FWIW, the ACA ver plays like a single-stick game. Button 1 is shoot. Button 2 is gunsight control - halts your ship while you're aiming. Hit Button 1 to fire the GUNSIGHT BEAMZ. Like many "hold teh button" setups, it sounds complicated, but it's a snap once you get a bit of muscle memory. IIRC the MD one is like this, too. Been a while!

HOWEWER... (■`w´■) The WINNEBAGO BEATDOWN has only begun!

Because on ACA (and I guess PCB, with the right panel!), you can set autofire to Button 2 (15hz, 20, 30 - any and all can be mapped, as expected of ACA :cool:). Then, you can move (slower, focus-style) while adjusting aim AND raining BOTH kinds of shot, forward and aimed, unto those XENO CUNTS! :shock:

Seems this could be incredibly useful, at a glance! Well, I'm beat chaps, I'm going to play horribly and post notes. UPL is always cool peeps in my book, mahfuckas crazy Image

AUTO BEAAAAM

EDIT: Ok, autofire turret feels fuckin rad Image At 30hz fire+20hz aim (game doesn't like 30hz on both, will cancel your turret shots), you can judiciously dart about in unfocused mode, looking for sweet spots where it's safe to enter focus and unleash the gunsights, raking them over hard targets in pulverising barrages while you stay ahead of return fire. Visceral and versatile. You still want a manual aim button, to keep your sights trained on priority targets/spawn points while you move about.

Slower rates of autofire are useful too, getting various degrees of ship VS gunsight travel. Current setup for DS4 is [30hz shot] on X and [20hz Aim] on Square, mirrored on the adjacent buttons with autofire disabled (for the charge shot weapon, and aforementioned stationary gunsight adjust). Finally, I stuck a manual aim on R1, so I've got it ready to go in concert with 30hz shot whenever. As ever with ACA, super comfy and versatile button+autofire mapping.

IDGAF how official the Button 2 autofire is, I love it. Image It's like Missile Command The Hori feat. Space Winnebago. Image Clad yourself in GREEN BALLS to get XTRA FAT (GARATONI = DEADORI SINZU :shock:), unleashing the city-annihilating firepower the dread Winnebago is named for: the JUMPSTART DENGEKI NO JIGOKU Image Image

Stage design feels very Atomic Robokid - willfully overstuffed with big, angry enemies that you're outfitted to shred en masse. Won't be for everyone - neither STG is especially subtle/elegant, nor is their truly strange run/gunner Mutant Night - but all handle sharply, and I love the outsized aesthetic. Always room in my heart for amps-on-eleven carnage with sturdy foundations. Super Official Rating No Regrets/5 Image
Last edited by BIL on Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:27 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

So wait CF2 is an infinite looper!? How many brawlers can say that? According to the old Gamest records the score goal was set at 1000 + α which was first achieved at stage 7-2.

Also hilarious that bc of the scoring system which rewards kills with a measly 1 point it takes over 6 loops just to reach 1000 lol.
BIL

Post by BIL »

The way those older Konami brawlers do the 1point/1kill thing always makes me go "Wait what? Ohhh right" - kinda gritty, zako or TLB, a life's a life! Really underlines the reality that you've been out on the streets killing motherfuckers all night, all they need is individual nametags ala Vasara :mrgreen:
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Undercover Cops has a pretty gnarly stage recap full of bloody mugshots. They really made you feel like you were doing some damage.

BTW where has Irem gone on ACA. We never got UC or any R-Type action after getting cockteased by the godlike Image Fight, X Multiply and In the Hunt trifecta.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Yeah, and Geostorm makes sure you know your official Pay Grade too. :lol: Nazca really had some fun with their score tally screens, also In The Hunt's punchy little stamped-on-iron bonuses.

IREM's definitely the biggest AWOL of the last couple years - I'm hoping we'll see some resurgence with R-Type Final out. It's so hard to tell what is and isn't possible with Hamster, they cocktease brutally one minute and conjure no-hoper rabbits outta hats the next. Interesting times at any rate. :cool:
Last edited by BIL on Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

damn, you're almost convincing me to pick up Gomorrah...
BIL

Post by BIL »

It's total marmite, honestly. :smile: I liek marmite tbh, been on it since I was in pampers >_> FUCK that creepy marmalade business! RINDS?! Aieee!

Too much definitely gets old though, moderation is critical! I reserve space in my nerdbunker only for weirdies that have the requisite undergirdings. It's an odd game with several cardinal genre sins (MONSTER HITBOX and Big Lifebarr the most obvious) interestingly handled. Only three stages in but it's ramping up nicely with some wall action.

Cheaper than the MD one and it runs better too, at least. :lol:
Last edited by BIL on Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

BIL wrote:Yeah, and Geostorm makes sure you know your official Pay Grade too. :lol: Nazca really had some fun with their score tally screens, also In The Hunt's punchy little stamped-on-iron bonuses.
FINAL ASSESSMENT!

Dr. Crayborn ain't lookin so good.

https://youtu.be/_9JzvmS96Ks?t=3195
BIL

Post by BIL »

Rastan78 wrote:FINAL ASSESSMENT!

https://youtu.be/_9JzvmS96Ks?t=3195
Man, Yushicops... Image I seem to recall it appearing on at least one JP poll, though it may've been M2 rather than Hamster's. At any rate, god damn does that one need a proper home release (SFC one's great for its platform but naturally not a replacement).

I hope Nazca's entire M92 set (and Leo and Gun-Hohki) make it over. Ah jeez, now I'm cockteasing myself.Image
BIL

Post by BIL »

I need to not post while overly hammered and/or tired. :mrgreen: (in this case the latter, work week yo Image) Actually reading Gomorrah's manual, the [aim shot] cancels bullets. Excellent... use it to deftly erase otherwise-undodgeable slow spreads. Like any good lifebar STG, these tiny bullets do appropriately minimal damage - but they can blow away your Green Balls, whose aura generously ups your range, so it's very much worth the effort.

The turret shot's design is sharp - on defense, the Missile Command-styled lingering explosions (I would be surprised if MC wasn't a direct influence) are great for covering the general area near your ship, or even painting over the ship itself. Offensively, they can smother dangerous enemies/bosses likewise, decimating their firepower (the second boss is a great target for this approach). Sensibly lenient, given how deceptively quick the stages can move - having to individually pick out bullets just wouldn't be enjoyable, let alone visceral.

Meanwhile, the Charge Shot is considerably stronger if you let it get to max (full bar, then the chime alert). A couple Max shots will blow away st2's heavy blue ships, versus maybe four/five partials.

Terrain bumps and air-to-air collisions with larger enemies are brutally costly, it seems - instant armour downgrade. I always like this mechanic, cf Battle Formula - even in non-STGs, like the FC's Lickle, where enemy bullets do far less damage than outright body impacts. Creates a nice sense of physicality and risk - get close and risk a punishing smack, but stay afar and you might be whittled down.

Seems your balls are by far the most vulnerable target, as well as the most expendable. There's tons floating about, don't sweat losing a few. Balls fly all over the place! Balls fly up in your face! Welcome to Gomorrah Image Wisely, terrain doesn't affect your balls in the least - stage 3's tight squeezes are no problem, even with the full set of six.

Kept us on the road ♫
Spoiler

I've changed my controls to simply [30hz main shot] on X, with [manual main shot] on Square - the classic "under my thumb" charge shot setup. Meanwhile, R1 is [manual aim] - the turret's not for doing swathes of general-purpose damage; that's the main shot + GBs' job.It's more for bullet cancelling, focus assassinations, and the occasional sneaky trick-shot. Rather than staying in front of a heavy enemy, you might want to get under it and turret it to death in slower but safer fashion. Or facing more than one, you can chargeshot the first to free up space, then snipe the second and third to death from safety.

Really cool game imo, certainly a cool system. You have lots of viable, distinct mechanics - Main Shot, Charge Shot, Aim Shot and Green Balls - counterbalanced by a massive hitbox and aggressive, densely packed enemies, creating a novel tactical pressure. There's also an element of pawn sacrifice - sometimes it really is worth tanking through a bit of flak and losing a few Balls, or a tick of HP, if it puts you on-target to deliver a decisive Max shot or turret barrage. It's perilously near to, but comfortably distinct from arrant EuroShumpery, with the lesser members of that school's mindless bullet-sponging. You pay for these decisions, it's up to you whether you get something worthwhile out of it.

I hope the stage design holds up further in, as the first three are very much my sort of marmitey joint ala Metal Black, Gun.Smoke and Dogosoken.
Marc

Post by Marc »

May have to test drive this one first. Sounds odd, no surprise coming from the same folk as Atomic Robo-Kid. Which, for its myriad faults, I enjoyed enough to play quite a way into.

Still blows my mind sometimes that stuff like this, which were 40-50 quid Mega Drive ports back in the day, are now available in perfect form for the price of 1.5 C64 budget games.
Firehawke

Post by Firehawke »

That's pretty much been my takeaway as well. There are a few games I'd never really given much thought to in the arcade (e.g. Rygar) with one or two plays then deciding it wasn't my thing.

Going back and picking them up on ACA, I've found some new favorites as I go. Nothing can really save Gradius 3 from being a mess, but being able to visibly see the horrific hitboxes makes it a laugh riot. Well, okay, maybe adding the Extra Edit from the PS2 version might've helped a bit..

I'd initially bought the packages on PS4, but in the last three years I'd mostly moved to Switch because it was infinitely more portable and easier to cram upwards of 40 of them into. The PS4's menu system, even with folders, doesn't do well with large numbers of small titles.
OldSkoolShmuper

Post by OldSkoolShmuper »

Fingolfin wrote:This week!

Space Battleship Gomorrah
Bioship Paladin

Sugoi!!
OMG Yes!
Marc

Post by Marc »

Didn't end up picking Bioship up, but I did buy Kiki Kaikai. Never played the arcade, my only experience was with the SNES, which I remember not being too keen on for some reason.

I'm certainly going to have to reappraise that, because this is brilliant. Lightening-sharp controls that actually allow you to wing the early stages a bit - it's the anti-Ikari, or during its maze-type bits, a non-boring Gauntlet (don't shoot me BiL - I never played the MD port :D ).

Will be picking the new version up for sure.
DenimDemon

Post by DenimDemon »

Bio Ship is a great addition. ACA is love. Im holding on for now though... since im having so much fun with Crime Fighters 2. I might grab Zero Team before jumping into Paladin.

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk
OldSkoolShmuper

Post by OldSkoolShmuper »

DenimDemon wrote:Bio Ship is a great addition. ACA is love. Im holding on for now though... since im having so much fun with Crime Fighters 2. I might grab Zero Team before jumping into Paladin.

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk
Yup, sure is. Heh, and I posted a bunch of times about this game a few months ago, and how I'd be thrilled if Bio-ship Paladin got an ACA release. And here it is!

Already bought it on PS4. I am going double dip on this one, so I'll also get it on Switch.

Thanks Hamster! Please bring us USAAF Mustang, too :p