Analogue CMVS memory card solution?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Rock Man

Analogue CMVS memory card solution?

Post by Rock Man »

Would this fit my CMVS from Analogue Interactive?

https://stoneagegamer.com/jgo-neo-geo-m ... soles.html

If so is it plug and play or would it need a good soldering?
incrediblehark

Re: Analogue CMVS memory card solution?

Post by incrediblehark »

I'm not familiar with Analogue CMVS but if its top loading its most likely a mvs 1c board and wouldn't have a memory card slot built in. You'd need something like this:

https://www.neogeofanclub.com/projects/neobiosmasta-vmc
Rock Man

Post by Rock Man »

incrediblehark wrote:I'm not familiar with Analogue CMVS but if its top loading its most likely a mvs 1c board and wouldn't have a memory card slot built in. You'd need something like this:

https://www.neogeofanclub.com/projects/neobiosmasta-vmc
Forgot to mention I'd like to eventually upgrade to Unibios 4.0. My Neo Geo came with 3.1

So according to MadLittlePixels Youtube video the vmc you linked me does enable me to plug the unibios eeprom in there. I guess that just begs the question; does the NeoBiosMasta VMC have the same life as the JGO MVS memory card? My understanding is that JGO will last last longer because it doesn't need a battery whereas the other more common MVS memory cards uses a lithium battery, would the NBM VMC fall under the same category of cards that use batteries?
incrediblehark

Post by incrediblehark »

I don't believe there is a battery in the vmc, it looks to be fram. actually I wouldn't be surprised if the JGO card is just a rebrand/clone of the neosavemasta:
https://www.neogeofanclub.com/projects/neosavemasta2019
Rock Man

Post by Rock Man »

incrediblehark wrote:I don't believe there is a battery in the vmc, it looks to be fram. actually I wouldn't be surprised if the JGO card is just a rebrand/clone of the neosavemasta:
Added to their notify list, thanks to you. The install looks fairly straight-forward. The only thing I need to worry about is to clip/desolder the original unibios to add that vmc plus another eeprom that clips onto said vmc.

Am I getting this right?
incrediblehark

Post by incrediblehark »

That's right, the UniBIOS installs on top. There's instructions on disabling the original bios depending on board revision on that site.
Rock Man

Post by Rock Man »

Rock Man wrote:
incrediblehark wrote:I don't believe there is a battery in the vmc, it looks to be fram. actually I wouldn't be surprised if the JGO card is just a rebrand/clone of the neosavemasta:
Added to their notify list, thanks to you. The install looks fairly straight-forward. The only thing I need to worry about is to clip/desolder the original unibios to add that vmc plus another eeprom that clips onto said vmc.

Am I getting this right?
What I meant to say here was:
The only thing I need to worry about is to clip/desolder the original unibios to add that vmc plus another eeprom (with unibios 4.0 installed on said eeprom) that clips onto the vmc
I don't know my board revision. While I google what type of revision Analogues CMVS is, does it tell you on the unibios menu at all? I could check my 3.1 and look.
incrediblehark

Post by incrediblehark »

Have you taken a look on the inside of the console? I mean if you’re going to be doing this it may be a good idea to open it up and look for yourself. It should be printed right on the board what version mvs it is.

That being said if you don’t have experience doing this kind of work I probably wouldn’t make my first project what is probably a pretty expensive console. Not making any assumptions to your skill set, so hopefully no offense taken. :)

EDIT: just wanted to add that if you already have a unibios installed there’s a good chance a socket was also installed as well
Rock Man

Post by Rock Man »

incrediblehark wrote:Have you taken a look on the inside of the console? I mean if you’re going to be doing this it may be a good idea to open it up and look for yourself. It should be printed right on the board what version mvs it is.

That being said if you don’t have experience doing this kind of work I probably wouldn’t make my first project what is probably a pretty expensive console. Not making any assumptions to your skill set, so hopefully no offense taken. :)

EDIT: just wanted to add that if you already have a unibios installed there’s a good chance a socket was also installed as well
Doesn't the vmc just kind of snap onto the mvs motherboard? I reviewed madlittlepixels video twice. Long as the unibios 4.0 eeprom snaps into the vmc board I should be fine.

I'll open it and close it with the vmc on (but not snapped in) just to be certain it fits in my shell. Before I install it.

I've modded my 3DO with MNEMO and softmodded like 4 original Xboxes AWA assembled my mister device. The only thing I'm not sure on is disabling the original 3.1 bios to make way for the four. I'm more sure I can clip the thing off but I won't do that. I'm going to attempt learning how to solder, and desolder I'll get like a test pcb or something and solder/desolder that before desoldering my unibios.

To disable the original would I need to desolder all 40 pins? I saw a video where it said i just need to disable a few of them.

I appreciate the concern
incrediblehark

Post by incrediblehark »

no you shouldn't need to desolder the entire chip.

EDIT - removed possible misinformation.