Rolling Gunner / Over Power [Mebius - PC/Switch]

A forum for saving and showing off all your hi scores
EmperorIng

Re: Rolling Gunner / Over Power [Mebius - PC/Switch]

Post by EmperorIng »

Thanks! Sorry I missed it.

Man, that final boss at ~40 rank just looks wild. It's hard to tell how you're supposed to squeeze through some of those walls without having a bit of a hope and a prayer.
Dalton88

Post by Dalton88 »

I'm trying to play Overpower with just my keyboard. I press the shot change key to switch to fighter mode, but when I hold down the shoot key it switches to gunner mode. I tried holding down the shot change key with the shoot key, but that did not work either.

I feel like I'm missing something obvious here. Any ideas?
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

There is no rapid fire button in Overpower. If you're playing with digital controls, you need to tap/hold to transition from one to the other. It appears to assume the default way you'll play it is going to be with a twin-stick setup where the right stick is used for rapid fire and then you hold a button to use the focus shot. Overpower can be played with a traditional arcade stick but controlling the gunpod is a lot trickier because it doesn't latch in place when transitioning from mashing shot to holding shot like it does in the standard version.
Dalton88

Post by Dalton88 »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:There is no rapid fire button in Overpower. If you're playing with digital controls, you need to tap/hold to transition from one to the other. It appears to assume the default way you'll play it is going to be with a twin-stick setup where the right stick is used for rapid fire and then you hold a button to use the focus shot. Overpower can be played with a traditional arcade stick but controlling the gunpod is a lot trickier because it doesn't latch in place when transitioning from mashing shot to holding shot like it does in the standard version.
Ok, thanks for confirming I was not missing anything.
Satis

Post by Satis »

Original
Satis - 5,815,144,020 - TRUE ALL - RS - PC - pic

Pretty poor scoring on Stage 6 but got to clear for the first time so ended up being a significant pb regardless
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Congratulations man!! What a big increase and gg on the clear! I'll add this when I am back at a computer tomorrow.

I was playing last night and raging the whole time, trying (and failing) to pull off some of your strategies in your replay.
SPM

Post by SPM »

Satis wrote:Original
Satis - 5,815,144,020 - TRUE ALL - RS - PC - pic

Pretty poor scoring on Stage 6 but got to clear for the first time so ended up being a significant pb regardless
What a great score! Hope you get to 6+ billion at the Shmup Slam IV (7B? 8B? no pressure! :mrgreen:)
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

FINALLY! it's nothing compared to the scores above but I at least was finally able to get past stages 3 and 4... even with a totally stupid and avoidable death in stage 3. First time ever making it to stage 5. In a very frustrating manner, I died by nervously ramming a bullet right before the S5 midboss began its attack. This is also the first time I managed to get the 1UP on the stage 4 midboss, which is what saved my ass considering I was on 0 lives when I got to the midbosses themselves.

Here's a little video snippet of my dumb luck and dumber dodging skills 8)

Yeah yeah, rank and score are total shite but I'm pleased.

Original
EmperorIng - 235,054,350 - 5 MBOSS - RS - Switch - pic

I don't know what I am doing wrong to not pull off the stage 1 boss milk. Is it something with the Switch port? I really doubt that... Whenever I activate the second hyper I can't seem to have it end quickly enough to scoop up the medals and refill my meter.
SPM

Post by SPM »

Nice! On your way to the 1CC :D

I doubt there's any difference on the Switch version in that regard. Have you seen my run? I do it at the bottom (seemed more consistent for me) and managed to get over 200M on the first stage that way.

You may be filling the red gauge too much? Either that or aren't waiting until it's over to move to the right and collect the rest of the medals?

(I used the RX though...)
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
Satis

Post by Satis »

I explained to Ing already elsewhere but the milks are much tougher with RS because of the big medal collection radius, it basically just means that there'll be less remaining medals once the limit is over so it's a tougher recharge. RX is in the middle of the road as far as collection radius goes so it's a nice mix between speed and collection, RA is very slow but also very tiny collection in comparison.

On the plus side it does mean RS medal collection on the milks is automatically pretty optimized, I think I can get 240m on stage 1 if I ever do a full milk but I tend to mess up (or just get rng'd?) near the end.
Currently the best I got on stage 1 is 220m with rank 15. The higher rank near the end tends to make the recharges a bit too crazy because the bullet speed is too high, not enough bullets on the right side of the screen.

Same deal with the other milks, I don't do the stage 3 boss final milk ever because at the rank I'm at it's not possible to do it, at least with RS.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

I was experimenting with the RX last night (nothing to show for it, yet). Maybe I should try the RA but that might be playing with fire. Macro dodging is already tight with the RX. The positioning must be super tight with the RS to keep your red meter low enough to actually scoop up medals for the next recharge. I guess practice mode grind is in my future. 8)
Satis

Post by Satis »

Feels pretty stupid to make a new post just for this but uploaded the video of the clear and I don't think anyone would ever see it if I just edited it in.

I came up with new routes yesterday worth about 600m spread out over stage 3 and 4 so hopefully I can reach 7b before shmup slam rolls around. My stage bests put me at 7.2 or so already so shouldn't be too horrible?
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Check out this massive score from Stage 3 score attack:

https://youtu.be/UgoIUju13nw

Is this mode arcade only?
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Satis wrote:Feels pretty stupid to make a new post just for this but uploaded the video of the clear and I don't think anyone would ever see it if I just edited it in.

I came up with new routes yesterday worth about 600m spread out over stage 3 and 4 so hopefully I can reach 7b before shmup slam rolls around. My stage bests put me at 7.2 or so already so shouldn't be too horrible?
Don't feel stupid about it! I am glad when people post new updates or have new things to share, and it's easier for me to keep track of what to add... AND it bumps the thread! Everyone is a winner.

I have been pretty gratified watching your vids, especially this one. Earlier today I finally got 2 cycles of the milk on the stage 1 boss, finally starting to figure out what it was I was doing wrong and how I need to position myself. Surviving stage 3 is still pretty dicey (or rather, going into stage 4 with more than one life).

I must say it's pretty clever how you push the stage 5 boss partially offscreen in order to reduce the amount of time dealing with its aggravating final phase.
Rastan78 wrote:Check out this massive score from Stage 3 score attack:

https://youtu.be/UgoIUju13nw

Is this mode arcade only?
This looks like it is exclusive to the arcade release. Pretty cool they have it though.
Satis

Post by Satis »

Original
Satis - 7,151,790,210 - TRUE ALL - RS - PC - pic

Insane run from start to finish and what a finish it was. I entered the TLB with 3 lives and 1 bomb and cleared with 2 lives and 3 bomb, very close to no-missing the TLB which would be really incredible to say the least.

My sum of bests is like 7.5b, it shouldn't really be possible to get this close to your theoretical limit..
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

That score is crazy. Well done.
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
Doudinou

Post by Doudinou »

Hello from Shmup.com :)

Mode Over Power original
Doudinou - 10.274.200.410 - TRUE ALL - RA - SWITCH

https://zupimages.net/viewer.php?id=21/28/buf4.jpeg

Mode Original casual
Doudinou - 214.605.930 - TRUE ALL - RA - SWITCH

https://zupimages.net/viewer.php?id=21/28/pkgh.jpeg
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Congratulations! Great seeing how active the board is and how some crazy some of the scores are.
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

Free bump for PS4 version. So yeah, Overpower mode lives up to the name lol.

Overpower Original
Jeneki - 3,721,508,470 - TRUE ALL - RX - PS4 - Link

Grabbed an early pic of online rankings before the monster scores take over.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
SPM

Post by SPM »

Nice! And what is that? There are online leaderboards now?
sunnshine

Post by sunnshine »

Over Power casual
Sunnshine - 1,607,434,800 - TRUE ALL - RX - PC
Spoiler
Apologies if that's in the wrong format, it's the first time I've been able to post a decent score up on here :D
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

SPM wrote:Nice! And what is that? There are online leaderboards now?
Yeah, it looks like there are for the console ports.
sunnshine wrote:Over Power casual
Sunnshine - 1,607,434,800 - TRUE ALL - RX - PC
Congrats on the True All clear!
SPM

Post by SPM »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:
SPM wrote:Nice! And what is that? There are online leaderboards now?
Yeah, it looks like there are for the console ports.
I just checked the Switch version. There was an update but still no leaderboards (I don't even know what the patch did). Hmmm...
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Sorry, I only own the PC version, but I could've sworn I saw a screenshot showing an online leaderboard. Maybe it's only for the PS4 release and not for the Switch one? Seems strange if that's the case. :(
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

The version I have is the PS4 physical disc, which has online leaderboards. Unfortunately I was very late to the party on this game so I don't know anything about the other versions.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
Warp_Rattler

Post by Warp_Rattler »

Okay, so I feel like some kind of befuddled old person right now because my Switch yelled at me for removing the SD card without turning the power off when I was trying to get my score screenshot (but it's fine with the game cards?) and I tried to make an imgur account but apparently your phone number is required for verification so that's out and I'm out of touch with other free image hosting services for forums and such...

Anyway:

Code: Select all

Overpower Original
Warp_Rattler - 4,422,672,270 - True All - RA - Switch
I'm really enjoying how Overpower works in "twin stick" mode; I feel like it's much better implemented than whatever arrange mode that was in Deathsmiles where you could rotate the familiar with the right stick (or am I confusing that with the Guwange X360 Arrange?). I'm starting to notice a pattern in a lot of Cave titles where I can score decently through the first level, but somewhere between the mid- and end-boss of stage 2 (or the early part of stage 3), I hit this cliff where the difficulty just seems to climb to the point where I can't seem to improve. Original mode is giving me the same thing around the 2/3 mark of stage 2; it's getting too hard to try and thread through the density of the bullet patterns on my Switch Lite. I think my best is only somewhere around 2.5 million at this point. I'm intending to watch some of the superplay videos that are getting posted to the PC version's main thread, but it's a little discouraging to hear how much boss milking factors into some of the high-level play, as I've never been very good at that.

But I'm going to keep playing around with Overpower--I haven't paid much attention at all to the flow of the stages and know I could be a lot more strategic and intentional about going into the hyper modes for better scoring.
SPM

Post by SPM »

I think we should add these two superplays here as a reference (best replays available right now for Original and Casual AFAIK):

ORIGINAL: https://youtu.be/PdE47RGt1O8 (RS - 11.1 billion - TRUE ALL - by "R")
CASUAL: https://youtu.be/bLb2DVGSKJA (RX - 379 million - TRUE ALL - by "MKW")

Too bad there's also milking in Casual, and a lot. Maybe we should split the leaderboards in this thread? One for boss-milking runs and one without it @EmperorIng (that could encourage some competition for those tired of/not interested in milking)
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

This is probably the most "important" board I maintain since it's a special game one of the best recent shmups in some time. So it's bad I've neglected it for so long. Well it's updated now, in time for the stealth steam release! Drop your scores, replays, and such here, any mode welcome, and be mindful of the format in the OP.