Mushi, DDP Res, Esp 2 for Switch

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Jonpachi

Re: Mushi, DDP Res, Esp 2 for Switch

Post by Jonpachi »

Sumez wrote:Lol, I literally can't think of any other company that gives more attention to their own legacy than Nintendo.
People just like to hate on them for no reason. :)
Seriously though. We get a surprise drop of a classic Cave shmup and half the thread is bitching about whatever.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
scrilla4rella

Post by scrilla4rella »

what controller setups are you guys using for this?

I always have a hard time getting into shmups on Switch because of the weird joycon dpad buttons.
SPM

Post by SPM »

scrilla4rella wrote:what controller setups are you guys using for this?

I always have a hard time getting into shmups on Switch because of the weird joycon dpad buttons.
Casual play for now:
Tate + flip grip
150% zoom
joycon stick for movement
X auto fire / A focus shot / ZR bomb

On TV: arcade stick (but I usually play handheld mode)

I'll try the advanced techs with rapid shots at some point, but not yet
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

Retro-bit Saturn or Genesis 6-button controller, or Hori Rap V. I do fine with the Pro Controller as well. Joycon is a last resort for use with Flip Grip, the analogue stick isn't ideal but it work just fine.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Flip-Grip is a neat little toy, and I use it at work sometimes for a quick game, but using that little Joycon analog stick as your controller is just never going to result in a good game. At best, it can be something to do light practice runs with, but that's about it. As said above by others, there is a huge variety of options, ranging from super cheap like the Genesis/Saturn pads from Retrobit, to the top-tier like a Hori HRAP V.
scrilla4rella

Post by scrilla4rella »

thanks for the info guys.

I wish the flip grip would work with the hori dpad joycon. Would be nice to have a stick for the Switch but I'm already up to my balls in arcade sticks (I know I'm not the only one). Guess I need to bite the bullet and get a universal fighting board. Will probably get that 8bit do Saturn pad for now.
SPM

Post by SPM »

Jonpachi wrote:Flip-Grip is a neat little toy, and I use it at work sometimes for a quick game, but using that little Joycon analog stick as your controller is just never going to result in a good game. At best, it can be something to do light practice runs with, but that's about it. As said above by others, there is a huge variety of options, ranging from super cheap like the Genesis/Saturn pads from Retrobit, to the top-tier like a Hori HRAP V.
The best controller is the one you want to use the most in the end. For me, I'm more likely to just PLAY if it's in handheld than in any other way, so most of my 1CCs have been done on Switch with that tiny analog stick :mrgreen:
But it has its frustrating moments I won't lie. The biggest one with Ikaruga since they programmed analog movement when using the stick. Even in that case, it's still good enough to get ranks A/S, although maybe not for S++ (never got anything past S+, and that's on stage 1 :lol: )

It's like cameras. A DSLR is (generally) better than a portable camera, but will you use it as much? I don't
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
KennyMan666

Post by KennyMan666 »

My HRAP EX-SE via Magic-S Pro.
My 1CCs so I can find the list easier myself
<Despatche> you've been a thorn in the shmups community since the beginning, you're largely responsible for the horrible face of modern speedrunning
Untitled1

Post by Untitled1 »

Christmas has come early this year.

Switch is gunning for the 360/Dreamcast top spot :P :P
Astro City II

Post by Astro City II »

The Switch will never touch those two when it comes to original content.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Astro City II wrote:The Switch will never touch those two when it comes to original content.
Really!? I always think about both systems mainly as arcade port monsters. My favorite exclusives for them would probably be Guardian Heroes on Saturn and Record of Lodoss War on DC.

Hot take: Luigi's Mansion 3 is an instant classic and maybe the best 1st party exclusive on the Switch. Bayonetta 3 and Metroid Prime still to come.
velo

Post by velo »

Sengoku Strider wrote:Joycon is a last resort for use with Flip Grip, the analogue stick isn't ideal but it work just fine.
Jonpachi wrote:Flip-Grip is a neat little toy, and I use it at work sometimes for a quick game, but using that little Joycon analog stick as your controller is just never going to result in a good game.
It never even crossed my mind to use the analog stick instead of using the buttons as a dpad and honestly that sounds crazy to me. If you're clearing anything like that, hats off. It's supposedly quite easy to replace the buttons with an actual dpad if that interests you (there's a kit on the market for it), but I got used to them so quickly I never bothered.
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

Rastan78 wrote: Really!? I always think about both systems mainly as arcade port monsters. My favorite exclusives for them would probably be Guardian Heroes on Saturn and Record of Lodoss War on DC.
The two name-checked were the Dreamcast & Xbox 360, rather than the Saturn.

In terms of the Switch surpassing them in exclusives...the Dreamcast, I dunno. The 360? Doable. The Switch is just 'held back' in the category by the fact that Nintendo have been able to spend 4 years coasting off reissuing the Wii U's excellent (you heard me) library. At this point it kinda comes down to how much weight you put on things like Animal Crossing & Ring Fit Adventure.
Ms. Tea

Post by Ms. Tea »

velo wrote:[It never even crossed my mind to use the analog stick instead of using the buttons as a dpad and honestly that sounds crazy to me. If you're clearing anything like that, hats off. It's supposedly quite easy to replace the buttons with an actual dpad if that interests you (there's a kit on the market for it), but I got used to them so quickly I never bothered.
Oh nice, I'm going to have to look into that. I'll post my impressions when I've got something. Thanks for the tip!
Creamy Goodness

Post by Creamy Goodness »

scrilla4rella wrote:thanks for the info guys.

I wish the flip grip would work with the hori dpad joycon. Would be nice to have a stick for the Switch but I'm already up to my balls in arcade sticks (I know I'm not the only one). Guess I need to bite the bullet and get a universal fighting board. Will probably get that 8bit do Saturn pad for now.
The Hori d-pad doesn't work with the Flip Grip? That kinda sucks. Was planning in getting one of those to get away from the crappy Switch d-pad. May have to look for alternatives.

Played a few games so far and it will definitely take some getting used to. Not used to the huge and oddly shaped bullets. Also is it me or is the sound kinda tinny for certain things especially on the menus. I bought the Steam version a while ago with the plan to play it on my TV with Steam Link. The sound quality was really bad and I chalked it up to streaming the game using a cheap laptop. This version is noticably better, but even on a 5.1 setup it seems like there is just highs and bass like the sound engineer forgot mid bass is a thing.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Hori D-Pad has none of the internals of a normal Joy-Con other than the pad and buttons itself, so it can't connect wirelessly to a Switch.
Creamy Goodness

Looked into it further and that seems to be the case. I may just stick with the analog stick and my arcade stick when I'm not to lazy to connect it. After a while the analog stick didn't feel too bad and I do not think there are really good options for wireless controllers that aren't cheap crap.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Creamy Goodness wrote:I do not think there are really good options for wireless controllers that aren't cheap crap.
Oh no, quite the opposite! Retro-Bit have great Genesis and Saturn controllers that will run you about $25. They feel great, and have been proven to have very low lag. There's also some great offerings from 8bitdo that are also of good quality for about the same price.
Creamy Goodness

Jonpachi wrote:
Creamy Goodness wrote:I do not think there are really good options for wireless controllers that aren't cheap crap.
Oh no, quite the opposite! Retro-Bit have great Genesis and Saturn controllers that will run you about $25. They feel great, and have been proven to have very low lag. There's also some great offerings from 8bitdo that are also of good quality for about the same price.
Haha my bad. I meant something that is specifically a substitute for the Switch controller that can be used with the Flip Grip.
Harpuia

Post by Harpuia »

I have a pair of third party joycons that I actually really enjoy using with my flip grip. They're called Kinvoca C25 but if you look them up you'll find a bunch of different brands using basically the same design, or at least the same shell. The dpad is stiff and clicky, but very precise, with a strong pivot to prevent you from pressing in the whole thing like one big button. It's sort of like a 3DS dpad but bigger. Aside from that, I also find them significantly more comfortable to hold than the stock joycons.
zz99

Post by zz99 »

Anybody know what's happened with Mushihimesama on the UK / EU eshop ? Seems to have disappeared, it's on the US and JPN eshops :(
jochen

Post by jochen »

I have to ask the same question. Had the game on my wishlist and wanted to buy it today. It vanished
from my wish list and I didn´t find it in the E-shop anymore.
CRP

Post by CRP »

zz99 wrote:Anybody know what's happened with Mushihimesama on the UK / EU eshop ? Seems to have disappeared, it's on the US and JPN eshops :(
try and contact them ask ?
https://twitter.com/LiveWire_pr
https://www.live-wire.co.jp/ info@live-wire.co.jp
Last edited by CRP on Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
davyK

Post by davyK »

I'll be waiting in hope for a physical release of Mushi. I have it on Steam but the collector in me wants physical media.
PAPER/ARTILLERY

Post by PAPER/ARTILLERY »

Also can't find this in the UK shop now, how strange. Real pity I was ready to throw some money at it.
Freedom Is Not Defined By Safety

SPM

Post by SPM »

https://twitter.com/LiveWire_pr/status/ ... 08386?s=20
Mushihimesama is currently temporarily suspended from sales in the European area.

This has already been addressed and will be resumed in the near future.

#mushihimesama
scrilla4rella

Post by scrilla4rella »

Harpuia wrote:I have a pair of third party joycons that I actually really enjoy using with my flip grip. They're called Kinvoca C25
These look pretty good for the price. I may end up pulling the trigger at some point.
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

The Switch will never touch those two when it comes to original content.

My favorite exclusives for them would probably be Guardian Heroes on Saturn and Record of Lodoss War on DC.

Well, the Switch has yet to have anything as good as RoLW alone...
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

Jonpachi wrote:
I've used those Retro-Bit controllers before and was impressed. They're good controllers.

I love the 8-BitDo controllers. I think they're honestly better than the controllers they're imitating. The SNES pad feels how I remember it feeling with my rose tinted glasses, but it's actually better than the real thing side by side. Same with the Genesis one. Plus they have great battery life. They feel like a premium product.
scrilla4rella

Post by scrilla4rella »

I have the 8 Bit Do Saturn and PC Engine M30 2.4G Wireless controllers. The dpad is great, everything feels pretty nice for the price but the Saturn pad started getting sticky buttons (through no fault of my own) pretty quickly. Other than that I have no complaints.

I just found that the same company sells a kit to convert your real Saturn pads to USB wireless so I'm looking forward to going that route at some point.
https://shop.8bitdo.com/products/8bitdo ... controller

Luckily I have a bunch of Saturn pads that I got out of Super Potato's free bin at the Ikebukuro location about 8 or 9 years ago. They also had stickly buttons ( :| ) but just needed a good cleaning on the inside.