R-Type Final2

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Zach Keene

Re: R-Type Final2

Post by Zach Keene »

Herr Schatten wrote:
Zach Keene wrote:The stage 5 boss is the pretty much the only thing standing between me and a no-death clear. Strangely LeoII can quick kill it (though a bit inconsistently)... but only if you're not at full power.
With which weapon? Red or blue?
Blue. This is pretty much the only use I've found for speed 2 since it's just slightly faster than the boss, so you can pretty much keep your force down its throat until it speeds up. Hopefully it won't live much longer at that point, but sometimes it does.
NAVVARR

Post by NAVVARR »

I have the Version 1.5 and also have the original two new levels- the RType III 4th level and the Rtype Leo level (which I've grown to like).

No sign of the Rtype Delta Level 1 or the Rtype Level 3 for me.

As a backer of the original game on Kickstarter and having the Stage Pass code- will I actually get to play those new levels- it's all very unclear to me what I'm actually going to be getting levels wise.
hoots mon- crivvens, help ma boab
Samildanach

Post by Samildanach »

NAVVARR wrote:I have the Version 1.5 and also have the original two new levels- the RType III 4th level and the Rtype Leo level (which I've grown to like).

No sign of the Rtype Delta Level 1 or the Rtype Level 3 for me.

As a backer of the original game on Kickstarter and having the Stage Pass code- will I actually get to play those new levels- it's all very unclear to me what I'm actually going to be getting levels wise.
Have a look for the 2nd dlc on the store, maybe you need to click download for it to activate?
NAVVARR

Post by NAVVARR »

Cheers, I had to go into my Japanese PS4 account and by using Google Translate to navigate the Japanese menus I managed to do just that.

The same DLC2 was available in my own UK store but I'd have been charged for it.

Granzella really have messed up this whole download the games you've paid for- create a Japanese PS4 account and then download it to your UK PS4 - that really is a crock of $#!+.
hoots mon- crivvens, help ma boab
Angry Hina

Post by Angry Hina »

1cc on Bydo difficulty with only the albatross RX-10, no deaths and no dose.
https://youtu.be/HDzUuLEtY94
Level 2, 3, 5 and 7.0 are much more interesting compared to their "normal"-Version.

I think some Checkpoints are not as good designed as in final 1 were they are really great done.

Should'nt there be a level select/arrange mode in Final 2? I heard of it but can not see it.
Axelay

Post by Axelay »

Managed to play the dlc pack 2 stages.

I enjoyed the delta stage its cool that you can shoot the stairways at the start. The sfx on the laser cannon robot at the start is a bit jarring. And so is the worms roar but overall the stage isnt to bad probably the best IMO the leo stage has grown on me now i finally have it down.

The rtype 1 battleship stage is pretty cool. I felt like the dose on the leo ship filled quite fast on the turrents managed to use dose on the core and killed the boss straight away. The stage is deffo on the short side.

I feel like more delta stages is the way to go.
I hope we get stage 2 from delta so bad!

Anybody share a way to farm more green stuff for ship creation? I am always running low on it.
Arms installation complete Good luck
Sly Cherry Chunks

Post by Sly Cherry Chunks »

Angry Hina wrote:Should'nt there be a level select/arrange mode in Final 2? I heard of it but can not see it.
It's all in Score Attack. Nice replay! Leo stage should be no problem for you.
The biggest unanswered question is where is the money? [1CCS]
Angry Hina

Post by Angry Hina »

Hehe, thanks^^
As I played the Leo stage that day, I thought the spread attack of the boss would pierce my force. Don't know why. I've seen in a replay I watched later, that this is not the case so I guess the Leo stage boss is not so hard for me anymore. :D
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

Angry Hina wrote:1cc on Bydo difficulty with only the albatross RX-10, no deaths and no dose.
Thank you. That was fun to watch. Is there any particular reason why you're using the RX-10 Albatross and not the TX-T Eclipse? Unless I'm mixing up things, they seem to be identical except for the Eclipse's stronger wave cannon.

I just bagged myself my second 1CC on normal difficulty, this time on the 6.0/7.0 path and using the Leo II. I lost one life each in the middle of stage 6 and 7, but in both cases managed to miraculously recover from harsh checkpoints and prevailed in the end, even if just barely.

Two things I learned from this run: 1. Once you lose your bits, the Leo ships aren't so overpowered at all. 2. You can time out the first form of the final boss by attaching the force to the back of the ship and camping in the top left corner.

I'm going to work on clearing the remaining path (6.1/7.1) next. Any ship recommendations for that?
Angry Hina

Post by Angry Hina »

Herr Schatten wrote:Two things I learned from this run: 1. Once you lose your bits, the Leo ships aren't so overpowered at all. 2. You can time out the first form of the final boss by attaching the force to the back of the ship and camping in the top left corner.
I've seen it in a replay and I asked myself, why is he doing this? The ship balls wont be stopped from the force or am I wrong?
The LEOs lose much of their strength without the bits but they can recover from just one bit item to their full potential. Furthermore the beam arsenal of the Leos are even without the bits of the stronger side, i would say.
Herr Schatten wrote:Thank you. That was fun to watch. Is there any particular reason why you're using the RX-10 Albatross and not the TX-T Eclipse? Unless I'm mixing up things, they seem to be identical except for the Eclipse's stronger wave cannon.
There is only one Albatross :D
Its really just the nostalgia of Delta and Final when I play the RX-10. I guess he is strong enough and I don't want to have to much distance to the balanced starter ships when I do 1ccs with them. Its also interesting to compare the difficulty of final and final 2 when I use identical ships and I've made my first 1cc on normal in Final 1 with the RX-10.

(thanks for your kind words^^)
Sly Cherry Chunks

Angry Hina wrote:There is only one Albatross :D
Just don't forget to change the canopy back to purple. Why did they change this? In Delta, there's a little animation where the Albatross' lower wing adjusts based on it's speed.
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

Angry Hina wrote:I've seen it in a replay and I asked myself, why is he doing this? The ship balls wont be stopped from the force or am I wrong?
The force alone won't, but in combination with firing backwards constantly it seems to do the trick. Or maybe the debris just enters the screen a bit lower. At least I've never been hit in that corner with the force at the back, shooting rapidly.
I understand. :) For similar reasons I didn't touch any of the other ships before I had cleared the game at least once with the R-9A Arrowhead.

Speaking of the R-9A line if ships, I also prefer the Lady Love to the Wave Master. The former is just cute, and there are few opportunities to fully charge up the latter's cannon anyway. I like that the ship roster is big enough to allow for such arbitrary preferences.
Angry Hina

Post by Angry Hina »

Sly Cherry Chunks wrote:
Just don't forget to change the canopy back to purple. Why did they change this? In Delta, there's a little animation where the Albatross' lower wing adjusts based on it's speed.
Thanks for the hint. Didn't know/recognized that^^
Herr Schatten wrote:
Angry Hina wrote:I've seen it in a replay and I asked myself, why is he doing this? The ship balls wont be stopped from the force or am I wrong?
The force alone won't, but in combination with firing backwards constantly it seems to do the trick. Or maybe the debris just enters the screen a bit lower. At least I've never been hit in that corner with the force at the back, shooting rapidly.
While destroying the four things I've really rarely been hit on the top of the screen, as you can see in my videos. But on some occasions a ball will bounce back unlucky or something and it happens. Reminds me of the semi savespots on the bosses of level 2 and 6.2 which are not completely save but kinda often, but I don't know for sure ^^
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

I credit fed through the remaining path to unlock it for score attack. To my own surprise I managed to one-life the dreaded stage 6.1 on my first try, a combination of carrying over the Leo's yellow homing weapon and pure luck, no doubt.

Is there any way to play stage 7.1 with the Bydo System Alpha in score attack? I'd like to practice the stage, but the regular ships play so differently that it doesn't make much sense this way.
Angry Hina

Post by Angry Hina »

You surely can unlock it in the r-museum.
Sly Cherry Chunks

You cant. The only thing I haven't tried yet is picking 7.1 as the final stage in course edit and seeing what happens.
Angry Hina

Post by Angry Hina »

How exactly works course edit?

Another topic: I've tried several times the second stage on R-Typer with the RX10... I dint know...I have no clue how this should work. Especially if you loose a live and you have to fight with the most terrible beam weapon in the game (the yellow one of the Albatross). But even if you don't die, sooner or later both ships will get above and beyond you and one of the will shoot you. I think, the most effective beam should be one of the reflecting blue ones but the Albatross has not one of them...
Sly Cherry Chunks

In score attack, at the top of the list above all the other stages is the original course. You can choose the order of the first 6 stages, but you have to pick either 7.0, 7.1 or 7.2 as one of the final stages. You can even change the name of the stages and "create your own narrative" as the designers intended.
VanillaLucia

Post by VanillaLucia »

グランゼーラの集い2 生配信 2021年6月18日(金)
R-Type Final 2 Roadmap 2021 (English) Screenshot

I was curiously watching this (not knowing any Japanese) and was very curious about their roadmap. It seems at some point this game will be getting a larger update which will call the game "R-Type Final 3" or something along those lines (22:45 in the video). I am curious to see what comes up next for this game.
Spoiler
The stage representing R-Type II was shown (it is Stage 4) as well as well as R-Type's Stage 1.

The "R Album" definitely seems like a game-changer for me who was upset about replacing ships I already decorated and customized.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Did you say… R-Type Final 3?
Steven

Post by Steven »

VanillaLucia wrote:グランゼーラの集い2 生配信 2021年6月18日(金)
R-Type Final 2 Roadmap 2021 (English) Screenshot

I was curiously watching this (not knowing any Japanese) and was very curious about their roadmap. It seems at some point this game will be getting a larger update which will call the game "R-Type Final 3" or something along those lines (22:45 in the video). I am curious to see what comes up next for this game.
Spoiler
The stage representing R-Type II was shown (it is Stage 4) as well as well as R-Type's Stage 1.

The "R Album" definitely seems like a game-changer for me who was upset about replacing ships I already decorated and customized.
That's basically correct. Japanese is not my native language, but what Kujo basically said, assuming I'm understanding him correctly, is that Final 3 is basically just a tentative title for future updates that fall outside the scope of the original R-Type Final 2... or something like that.
Sly Cherry Chunks

Well that's exciting.
Spoiler
Two tunes were heard for the RTF stage 2 homage, suggesting at least some weather changing.

RT2 stage 4 homage looks to have some neat 'remixed' aspects. Hope the old trick still works on the boss. (was secretly hoping for stage 1, 2 or 3 though.)

RT1 stage is all covered in fungus. Is that the look they're going for or does this suggest another type of weather system?

Hope Ragnarok plays well, but the character model sure does look like shit. They spent a lot of time getting the Arrowhead to look exactly like the box art CG, they really should have stuck with the RTIII box art for the Ragnarok. 13B/Spectre reproduced this look perfectly. Was really hoping to see this model reproduced in game.
VanillaLucia

Post by VanillaLucia »

Sly Cherry Chunks wrote:
Spoiler
Hope Ragnarok plays well, but the character model sure does look like shit. They spent a lot of time getting the Arrowhead to look exactly like the box art CG, they really should have stuck with the RTIII box art for the Ragnarok. 13B/Spectre reproduced this look perfectly. Was really hoping to see this model reproduced in game.
Spoiler
I really do wish that the Ragnarok could have had its own bits and Standard Force to line up with the designs for how they appeared in R-Type III. I really was not fond of how R-Type Final not only simplified its designs but also simply slapped on the regular-looking bits and Standard Force. At least that I recall in R-Type Final, I also did not like how the bit animations for the Hyper Wave Cannon played out.
Sly Cherry Chunks

[Nothing from RTF1 should be considered spoiler-worthy]

The 'splitting' of the Ragnarok into 3 ships to make it fit into RTF's format only makes me think that the ship from RTIII was a fourth variant. The in game sprite didn't really resemble the box art or anything that came since. So thats the ship I want to see next, with adjusted bits and missles, the option to use all three forces and the wave cannons adjusted to perform exactly like the original game.

That, and a dedicated forceless Leo mode. SMP linked to an interview where Kujo actually mentioned adding co-op so it might be possible someday.
ZaKa-tokyobassist

Post by ZaKa-tokyobassist »

This roadmap got me super hyped. I can't wait for it!

Whoever called that addition branching path guessed right! I'm curious if we are getting more early game branching or if Kujo is referring to Stage 5.
PSN: tokyobassist
Fighting/SHMUPS/Run N' Gun/Action/Horror/Stealth Games/Arcade Racers/Rail Shooters/Gaming Lore
Samildanach

Post by Samildanach »

ZaKa-tokyobassist wrote:This roadmap got me super hyped. I can't wait for it!

Whoever called that addition branching path guessed right! I'm curious if we are getting more early game branching or if Kujo is referring to Stage 5.
I think I was blathering about having a fourth stage 6 and 7 from the essentially unused lowest crystal, but the road map says:

"Branches for different stages will be added to the first half of the mission"

...suggesting at least my guess was a bit out. Whatever materialises, it is great to have a shmup with so much time and money spent on different STAGES. Yes, it is nice to learn to route a 5 stage Cave Masterpiece, but the older style horizontal shmups like R-Type do lend themselves to this more varied stage choice approach when the emphasis is more on survival and a little less on scoring.
VanillaLucia

Post by VanillaLucia »

Samildanach wrote:...suggesting at least my guess was a bit out. Whatever materialises, it is great to have a shmup with so much time and money spent on different STAGES. Yes, it is nice to learn to route a 5 stage Cave Masterpiece, but the older style horizontal shmups like R-Type do lend themselves to this more varied stage choice approach when the emphasis is more on survival and a little less on scoring.
I really do like that this takes a very different approach from what games like Dariusburst Chronicle Saviours has done as well. While I like Dariusburst, I always felt a bit put off about how its downloadable content was completely separated from the game in its own mode (which meant it was unusable in AC Mode or CS Mode) and even in CS Mode while I like that you can pick up and put the game down I always felt like there could have been "more" in terms of the stages that paid homage to the previous games. Repeating the same bosses, same stages, and ultimately the same patterns over time was something I felt like the game simply relied too much on. In comparison, I really do like that Granzella is taking an approach to R-Type Final 2 that both pays homage to its legacy and at the same time is reviving R-Type even if it isn't quite perfect (missing things like details and touches from R-Type Delta and the previous games, for example).

Regardless, seeing the roadmap fleshed out has me very excited to see what comes next and what Granzella's future plans are as I do believe that they definitely have shown their potential with what we have so far.
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

It's weird that the three other Pow-armour type ships are revealed but not Mr. Heli which should be at the end of this particular branch of the ship roster.

I hope they add a fourth pair of final stages before they add alternative earlier ones, even though the latter are still welcome, of course.
ZaKa-tokyobassist

Post by ZaKa-tokyobassist »

So the final pack is Final - Stage 2.0 Twisted Ecology, RT2 - Stage 4 Resource Mining Area and RT1 Stage 1 Remake. Two of which seems to have changing biomes much like the warship stage which is a nice touch.

That is interesting to see that a second stage pass is planned before the years end and hopefully all ships in the hangar by summer. Also most of the substantial in game content seems free of charge so nobody is really missing out playing now or later.
PSN: tokyobassist
Fighting/SHMUPS/Run N' Gun/Action/Horror/Stealth Games/Arcade Racers/Rail Shooters/Gaming Lore
Samildanach

Post by Samildanach »

Heh, I was convinced they were going with stage 6 of R-Type II until I saw that recent video. Only because of the order of stages they had chosen so far:

Stage 1 of Delta
Stage 2 of Final
Stage 3 of Original
Stage 4 of III
Stage 5 of Leo

Stage 4 of II does look pretty cool though, so I'll let them off!

Not sure if the homage of the very first Stage will have changing biomes, it might, or they may have gone with a 'return to the iconic originsl level many years later' appoach. I suspect the Dobs at the end will have a few tricks up his sleeve, given that he is the final boss of the homage levels.