Mushi, DDP Res, Esp 2 for Switch

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Marc

Re: Mushi, DDP Res, Esp 2 for Switch

Post by Marc »

Great news, though I'm buggered if I can find them on the UK store. Maybe tomorrow - how are they priced?
Ah sorry, only Mishi out as of yet, though I still can't find it. Reasonable pricing on the US store as well, happy days.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
BEAMLORD

Post by BEAMLORD »

Marc wrote:Great news, though I'm buggered if I can find them on the UK store. Maybe tomorrow - how are they priced?
Ah sorry, only Mishi out as of yet, though I still can't find it. Reasonable pricing on the US store as well, happy days.
It's there, man. I got it last night, about £15. That was via the eshop on my Switch, under Recently Released. I checked beforehand via nintendo.co.uk, and it wasn't there. If you haven't, try through your Switch
Reticulan

Post by Reticulan »

CloudyMusic wrote:Cool, looking forward to seeing how Mushi and DFK compare to the Steam ports. And it'll be nice to have Espgaluda 2 available on another platform!
Anyone done a comparison between the Switch and Steam ports yet?
davyK

Post by davyK »

BEAMLORD wrote:
Marc wrote:Great news, though I'm buggered if I can find them on the UK store. Maybe tomorrow - how are they priced?
It's there, man. I got it last night, about £15. That was via the eshop on my Switch, under Recently Released. I checked beforehand via nintendo.co.uk, and it wasn't there. If you haven't, try through your Switch

Nice. I have these covered in Steam / 360 but I'm thinking about double dipping on Mushi. Want to reward the publishers for doing this.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

This will be my 3rd copy. Have it on PS2, 360... fuck it bring it on!
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
Shogun

Post by Shogun »

The Cave giveth on this day.
harborline765

Post by harborline765 »

bcass wrote:
m.sniffles.esq wrote:There seems to be some confusion, but I guess the Switch version does include ver 1.5, making this a better buy than the Steam version.
Depends how you look at it. The Steam version will be playable / downloadable for a much greater period of time compared to the Switch version. Same with the leaderboards. Nintendo are fairly ruthless when it comes to switching off online services once a console generation has expired. You also have a significantly longer period of future compatibility with newer hardware for the Steam version.
I agree the PC version is going to be around the longest due to the nature of the platform, but I'm not convinced we have enough information to go on re: Nintendo and online. They shut down Nintendo WFC because that ran on GameSpy servers and GameSpy literally got bought out by another company, so they had no choice.

Wii U and 3DS online is still operational, but I'm sure it'll go one day within the next decade. Switch to me seems more like an ongoing platform than one that they will wipe fresh with a new platform with 0 games, so I can see it staying around pretty long.
bcass

Post by bcass »

harborline765 wrote:I agree the PC version is going to be around the longest due to the nature of the platform, but I'm not convinced we have enough information to go on re: Nintendo and online. They shut down Nintendo WFC because that ran on GameSpy servers and GameSpy literally got bought out by another company, so they had no choice.

Wii U and 3DS online is still operational, but I'm sure it'll go one day within the next decade. Switch to me seems more like an ongoing platform than one that they will wipe fresh with a new platform with 0 games, so I can see it staying around pretty long.
Don't count on it. What about all those millions of people who purchased WiiWare titles for the Wii? They can't re-download any of that if their console dies. I'm a huge supporter of digital, I went all-digital years ago and don't regret it at all. It was liberating not to have to mess around with physical media any more, but Nintendo are the last company I would ever entrust with digital purchases and the long-term prospects of their online platforms.
Ddshot

Post by Ddshot »

Wtf switch again!why no ps??im just salty I don’t like the switch but props

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

Ddshot wrote:Wtf switch again!why no ps??im just salty I don’t like the switch but props

The answer is, most likely because these guys are a new publisher and Sony are winding down support and marketing for 3rd parties in Japan. Something like this wouldn't even have been on their radar.

The PlayStation brand has spent the past few years getting curbstomped in Japan. SIE are virtually abandoning the country in their plans going forward, and are deliberately becoming much more Amerocentric. They're shuttering Japan Studio, their own IP outside Gran Turismo (Polyphony Digital will survive) will be handled out of the US.

These are the sales in Japan for the week of May 31-Jun 06 2021. Look at those year to date, last year to date and especially lifetime to date numbers, given that the PS4 came out 4 years before the Switch did:

Code: Select all

+-------+------------+------------+------------+------------+------------+-------------+
|System |  This Week |  Last Week |  Last Year |     YTD    |  Last YTD  |     LTD     |
+-------+------------+------------+------------+------------+------------+-------------+
| NSW # |     97.208 |     71.148 |     68.192 |  2.775.112 |  2.439.468 |  20.115.486 |
| PS4 # |      2.725 |      2.562 |     21.291 |     75.783 |    405.884 |   9.366.673 |

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

| PS5 # |     18.330 |     39.324 |            |    545.230 |            |     800.380 |
Obviously PS5 numbers are supply constrained, but they're really becoming the TurboGrafx or something over there. International markets will mean it'll still be viable for Japanese devs to publish on PS, but even there Switch Outsold PS & Xbox combined 3-2 last year, and has been #1 for 30 straight months. Combine that with less home market presence for JP publishers and much higher dev costs/expectations, and it means it won't be a primary platform for just about anyone but the Bamco/Sega/Capcoms going forward.

(My PS4 copy of Ketsui just arrived yesterday, too :? )
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

I saw the Japanese hardware sales from over the last holiday. IIRC it was over 90% Switch and around 4 or 5 percent for the PS4 and PS5. Software sales it's also a total wash.

I would expect more of these types of releases to be released on Switch first or be exclusive.

I'm curious what will happen with Hamster and M2. How long do they keep supporting PS4 and if/when they stop do they go over to PS5 (other than back compat) or go with Switch only. I guess we will find out when the Toaplan games finally launch somehwere in 2023 lol.
kid aphex

Post by kid aphex »

Rastan78 wrote:
I'm curious what will happen with Hamster and M2. How long do they keep supporting PS4 and if/when they stop do they go over to PS5 (other than back compat) or go with Switch only. I guess we will find out when the Toaplan games finally launch somehwere in 2023 lol.
I wondered this also. M2 did just tweet today that “esp.ra.de and ketsui have both been reprinted many times”, so I guess PS4 sales (ketsui) are successful enough for them to remark about it.

Success, of course, is relative to how much M2 spends on these games... I’d love to know the economics of these shot trigger releases.
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

Reticulan wrote:
CloudyMusic wrote:Cool, looking forward to seeing how Mushi and DFK compare to the Steam ports. And it'll be nice to have Espgaluda 2 available on another platform!
Anyone done a comparison between the Switch and Steam ports yet?
It doesn't sound like he's spent a ton of time with it, but so far EOJ at Cave STG says slowdown is on part with the X360/Steam version.
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

Stick it on a card and I'm there. Not overly fussed by DFK and Espgaluda II because localised/region free 360 ports, but Mushi is sat in my Steam account without hardware to play it on. Just... yeah, would rather spend money on physical than blow £15 on something that a) will be on sale in a few months b) is subject to Nintendo's whims on store closures
harborline765

Post by harborline765 »

bcass wrote:
harborline765 wrote:I agree the PC version is going to be around the longest due to the nature of the platform, but I'm not convinced we have enough information to go on re: Nintendo and online. They shut down Nintendo WFC because that ran on GameSpy servers and GameSpy literally got bought out by another company, so they had no choice.

Don't count on it. What about all those millions of people who purchased WiiWare titles for the Wii? They can't re-download any of that if their console dies. I'm a huge supporter of digital, I went all-digital years ago and don't regret it at all. It was liberating not to have to mess around with physical media any more, but Nintendo are the last company I would ever entrust with digital purchases and the long-term prospects of their online platforms.
The Wii Shop is still up for redownloading purchases, 15 years after the fact, but I think you’re referring to the decision back in 2006 to not do user accounts since the Wii tied software licenses anonymously to the console. The Switch has user accounts and remote hardware activation/deactivation like any modern platform.

I just think it’s not really right to use the Wii as an analogy for where the Switch will go. So much has happened in democratising access to cloud services in the last 15 years, it’s how Nintendo caught up so fast in networking to begin with - the Switch’s eShop at launch was ahead of its time compared with the competition on console, allowing universal worldwide publishing similar to Steam and the iOS App Store. Things have changed. We can also change the region on my Nintendo Account and buy games from any country which is extremely forward thinking.

Anyway this is getting off topic - I’m just not as pessimistic after seeing Nintendo make huge strides with this platform. If they announce a completely new platform that replaces this one and makes all existing games redundant (eg Switch after 3DS and Wii U) I would be concerned, but I can’t see that happening much like it hasn’t with the PS4 and Xbox One libraries being carried over.
CRP

Post by CRP »

TransatlanticFoe wrote:Stick it on a card and I'm there...
Surely this will get picked up by someone. whole be nice if they put all 3 on one cart.
CRP

Post by CRP »

Mushihimesama Nintendo Switch Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXAt1kWMCFo
bcass

Post by bcass »

harborline765 wrote:Anyway this is getting off topic - I’m just not as pessimistic after seeing
Nintendo make huge strides with this platform. If they announce a completely new platform that replaces this one and makes all existing games redundant (eg Switch after 3DS and Wii U) I would be concerned, but I can’t see that happening much like it hasn’t with the PS4 and Xbox One libraries being carried over.
Let's hope you're right. History has shown Nintendo to have scant disregard for it's own back-catalogue and its online infrastructure is woeful compared to the competition. I for one wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them.
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

CRP wrote:
Surely this will get picked up by someone. whole be nice if they put all 3 on one cart.
I hope so, and also if someone can just shit these out from absolutely nowhere, why not more from the 360 catalogue?
Ms. Tea

Post by Ms. Tea »

TransatlanticFoe wrote:
CRP wrote:
I hope so, and also if someone can just shit these out from absolutely nowhere, why not more from the 360 catalogue?
Yeah, if it was only Mushi and DFK I'd expect that only the two Windows ones were on the table, but Espgaluda II shows anything they self-ported/published on the 360 is open. Which I'm excited for! Glad it sounds like Espgaluda 2 is next because that's one I have to get too.
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

Ddshot wrote:Wtf switch again!why no ps??im just salty I don’t like the switch but props

The Switch is far and away the most popular console in Japan, so short of a weird Japanese 360 shmups situation like before, it makes sense that the games that target Japanese audiences will go to Switch first.
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

bcass wrote:History has shown Nintendo to have scant disregard for it's own back-catalogue and its online infrastructure is woeful compared to the competition. I for one wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them.
Are you saying they don't pay attention to their back catalogue, or that they do?

Because it sounds like you're expressing a negative here, but I can't see why one would.

Their online service includes more than 100 NES/SNES games with online play or new challenge modes. They just released remakes of 2 Famicom Detective Club games from the 1980s in English for the first time. The remaster of Skyward Sword hits in November. They released a collector's set for the first Famicom Fire Emblem, also in English for the first time, not too long ago. They just showed a new physical Game & Watch with Zelda, Zelda II & Link's Awakening on it. Speaking of which, Awakening got an impressive remake year before last as well. Xenoblade Chronicles got one last year.

Then there's our good friend the Wii U...

...which has had nearly every exclusive updated & re-released on the Switch. (They just announced Maiden of Black Water is coming...I really hope they give that game some TLC, because I love the franchise but I couldn't even get through the demo on Wii U.)

I could keep going, but I think it's pretty clear they have more regard for their back catalogue than anyone out there (with due respect to MS for keeping as many games BC as they have). Sony sure isn't paying that much attention to their old stuff. They don't even keep the studios around.
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

Their efforts at providing their back catalogue are usually half hearted hollow scraps honestly. The best they do today is the Wii U ports, salvaging good work from a failed machine for the millions they missed out on. Or the occasional remake of popular games they frequently port already. But for older titles, they consistently fall short.

Wii U virtual console was woefully paltry compared to its predecessor and the emulation was extremely poor. It was the last real library they had for classic games and it isn't a healthy offering.
You mention Fire Emblem 30th but thats really one of the worst examples you could have named as it was A) timed like the half hearted Mario collection and B) Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon already exists and would have been a much better piece to port (with the original included). A chunk of the FE community was displeased with that announcement.

Nintendo Online is really a bit of a joke. Its little more than retro Netflix where you own nothing. They sporadically trickle out random selections with a shockingly scant amount of options to enhance the sometimes dated play experience. A little over 100 games in 4 years across two consoles boasting more than 6x that combined is not impressive when the Wii had over 300 (and even that was somewhat low considering the amount of platforms it had to offer). And the day that service goes down, that drop in the bucket library goes with it.

And then theres the terribly mismanaged minis no one could get a hold of with less than 40 games between the two of them. And no ability to add more. Correct me but I believe the NES Mini at least is discontinued already.

I get where you're coming from and they do pretty good here and there. You have a point if we're just going by pure numbers. But in my opinion, it doesnt mean much if the effort, longevity, and business behind it is lacking. Theres a *lot* of classic games they can still make available, choose not to, and snuff out fan preservation efforts while advertising their own services that could stand to be far better.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Already got Esp2 and DFK of course, but I'm excited to finally be able to play a legit region free release of Mushihimesama, been waiting for that one - means I don't have to bother with the crummy PS2 port.

Futari is one of my favourite shooters of all time, but the only occasions I've actually gotten to play the original game was the two or three times I came across someone with the PCB.

I'm assuming there's no word on a physical release. :\

EDIT: Completely forgot about DFK BL Arrange :O That's one I've been wanting to try since forever! If the Switch release has that one included, that'll be amazing.
CRP wrote:Surely this will get picked up by someone. whole be nice if they put all 3 on one cart.
I could totally see LRG picking up this and putting them out as three individual releases. So hopefully it'll be someone else.
Marc

Post by Marc »

REALLY impressed with Mushi. Not sure how these have sprung up out of nowhere, but fingers crossed for more. Pricing is amazing value as well.
Also, I'm sure I used to be semi-proficient at this back on the PS2.....
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

Marc wrote:Also, I'm sure I used to be semi-proficient at this back on the PS2.....
Lol, I had the same experience. Had a quick go on Original mode and kept thinking "I used to be better at this."

I only wish I there was an option to play at the original arcade resolution. Those bullets look weird in HD.
BEAMLORD

Post by BEAMLORD »

It's my first time playing this, and I love it. It's good to see some more cream coming to Switch now, in regard to Cave stuff anyway. I've had Esprade for a while, and recently Progear, and now it's looking like we're gonna have a deluge. I'm playing Mushi, and still kinda pinching myself that I'm playing it on Switch.

I've 1cc'd Novice, surprisingly tricky toward the end compared to for example Esprade's Novice mode. For me anyway. Getting to know Original mode now. Great package overall, I have no experience with the Steam version which I hear this basically is, and I have no technical eye, but no complaints.

Although, I wouldn't mind some scanline options, only cuz I love that CRT shit. Hope they don't take too long making the leaderboards operational.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

XoPachi wrote: And then theres the terribly mismanaged minis no one could get a hold of with less than 40 games between the two of them. And no ability to add more. Correct me but I believe the NES Mini at least is discontinued already.
They have been discontinued for awhile. Nintendo actually sold refurbished minis in their online store at a reasonable price with controllers and hookups included. No ability to add more officially, but there are ways to add more games unofficially and they don't even require you to open the system. The hardware is nothing special. Just an Allwinner CPU.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Lol, I literally can't think of any other company that gives more attention to their own legacy than Nintendo.
People just like to hate on them for no reason. :)
bcass

Post by bcass »

Woeful denial.