Metal Slug Tactics

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Vexorg

Metal Slug Tactics

Post by Vexorg »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqF0KLsaf6U

A new Metal Slug game has been revealed today, and it's going to be an SRPG. Too soon to tell how this will turn out (the gameplay in the reveal trailer looks rather simplistic) and I know Dotemu doesn't have the best reputation, but if nothing else they've got the art style nailed.
We want you, save our planet!
Xbox Live: Vexorg | The Sledgehammer - Version 2.0
Mischief Maker

Re: Metal Slug Tactics

Post by Mischief Maker »

I dunno, the stage art seems kinda bland for a Metal Slug game.
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
DenimDemon

Post by DenimDemon »

Mischief Maker wrote:I dunno, the stage art seems kinda bland for a Metal Slug game.
Already better than XX

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk
drauch

Post by drauch »

Well, it definitely looks better than that phone game.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
Searchlike

Post by Searchlike »

NICE! Can't wait for "Tactical Espionage Action NiGHTS into Dreams".
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

There are actually at least two Metal Slug phone games, and I thought this thread was for one of them first glance.

I always wonder why they bother using an IP that's worse than starting from scratch, but then remember that the suits are the ones in charge and they are aliens in league with nazis.

I'm suuuure this will be able to compete against Project Triangle Strategy or whatever pretty well~
DMC

Post by DMC »

Battle Garegga Tactics please?
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

DMC wrote:Battle Garegga Tactics please?
Since we're on the topic of bizarre arcade/strategy hybrids, I must repeat my past recommendations that you all try X-Morph Defense.

It's a modern take on Herzog Zwei with simpler strategy but stronger action. You're an alien hive mind that's a cross between Star Trek's Borg and Michael Bay's Decepticons that are invading a near-future Earth Independence Day-style. You play a transforming fighter craft tasked with defending the vulnerable assimilation core that's the centerpiece of your invasion against ridiculously huge waves of Earthling military attackers with very Raiden-esque technology. Your fighter can instantly transform between up to four different modes for different types of enemies, and you can also build defense turrets with laser fences between them.

Yes, it's technically tower defense, but it's the smarter path-shaping kind AND the action elements make it so much more intense than any other examples of the genre.

Huge attention should be given to the game's fantastic custom graphics engine, that models incredibly detailed physics-driven building destruction, dozens of explosions at once, enemy tanks being destroyed in a variety of ways, collateral damage everywhere... Under Defeat has nothing on the visuals of this game. And yet it ran smooth as butter on my previous 10-year-old-toaster machine!

Then things get even more insane when the Earthlings bring in their giant boss units like spider tanks or laser air fortresses or mechagodzilla-tier walkers, all the time causing even more destruction to the city than even you. And of course they have individually-targetable turrets and subsystems just like a good shmup boss.

Just watch this freaking trailer!

And besides all the glitz, it's CHALLENGING! After the first 3 or so levels the game turns on the screws and you can find yourself blindsighted by some of the anti-core attacks of enemy supertanks while you were carefully denuding it of anti-air defenses. Note that "Normal" is the easy mode, in case the 0.5% score modifier didn't give it away. Also by the end of the campaign you'll be short two upgrades, and I advise not getting the scrap collection ability. It sucks a lot of the challenge and the fun from the action game part of the experience.

It's on deep discount at GOG today! If you're even slightly interested in arcade/strategy hybrids you should check this out.
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

I'll remain cautiously optimistic, for no other reason than two recent titles which had no right to work as a turn based strategy came out cracking - Mario + Rabbids and Gears Tactics.
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

BryanM wrote: I'm suuuure this will be able to compete against Project Triangle Strategy or whatever pretty well~
They're in different sub-genres (one has roguelite elements, one is a traditional SRPG), so I don't think they will be competing much. I also doubt they will release close to eachother.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

DenimDemon wrote:
Mischief Maker wrote:I dunno, the stage art seems kinda bland for a Metal Slug game.
Already better than XX

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk
You kidding me? Metal Slug XX was awesome. Either way, I feel kinda stoked for this game.
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

TransatlanticFoe wrote:I'll remain cautiously optimistic, for no other reason than two recent titles which had no right to work as a turn based strategy came out cracking - Mario + Rabbids and Gears Tactics.
I'm not much of a SRPG fan and then I played Mario + Rabbids. Got the post game blues when it ended. I wanted there to be more. Always a sign of a great game.
DMC

Post by DMC »

Mario + Rabbids was great. I enjoyed the humor too. The gameplay is heavily influenced by XCOM I've read, so I am thinking of giving the Switch or Steam version of XCOM 2 a chance. I suppose maybe Metal Slug Tactics will turn into something similar?
Vexorg

Post by Vexorg »

To Far Away Times wrote:
TransatlanticFoe wrote:I'll remain cautiously optimistic, for no other reason than two recent titles which had no right to work as a turn based strategy came out cracking - Mario + Rabbids and Gears Tactics.
I'm not much of a SRPG fan and then I played Mario + Rabbids. Got the post game blues when it ended. I wanted there to be more. Always a sign of a great game.
You're in luck, a sequel has been announced in the latest Nintendo Direct.
Vexorg

Post by Vexorg »

To Far Away Times wrote:
You're in luck, a sequel has been announced in the latest Nintendo Direct.