Superguns and games that use more than 3 buttons...

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Triple Lei

Superguns and games that use more than 3 buttons...

Post by Triple Lei »

I have a matt-made supergun and a matt-hacked Saturn pad for a controller. I love both of them and playing Batrider is a dream.

Still, as a long-time Tekken fan (heck, I wouldn't know what "hardcore" meant if not for the Tekken community), I've always thought that I was one step closer to being able to play the arcade version of Tekken Tag Tournament (TTT). There's not a single high-level player who prefers the PS2 version over the original arcade version. Looking at the eBay auction for a Tekken Tag board here on this forum made me want to make my dream of playing the arcade version a reality.

TTT uses 5 buttons, which makes using the PCB more complicated. I've heard of a "kick harness" that allows for more buttons... do those only work with Capcom games? Would I have to open up the supergun? How do you connect it all to a controller?

Thanks for any and all responses... :?
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

Here's what I found on google..

http://hyperfireball.tripod.com/faqs/pinouts.txt

Looks like you'll probably have to rebuild your controllers and make your own namco-specific extra button harness.

Personally I haven't seen what the board looks like though.
PC Engine Fan X!

I have a USA Bios American Sammy Daioh PCB w/6-button setup

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

I've got a USA Bios American Sammy produced Daioh shmup arcade Jamma compatible PCB that uses a 6-button setup via a "kick harness" setup -- buttons 1, 2, and 3 are mapped through the Neo-Geo joystick connection port. Buttons 4, 5, and 6 are mapped through the "kick harness" cable setup and is connected directly to the PCB itself. This kick harness is mapped out for both players 1 and 2 respectively. Matt made me this special custom-made kick harness cable to utilize all six-buttons functionality on the USA Bios Daioh PCB.

Trivia arcade shmup PCB factoid: The USA Bios version of Daioh is the only arcade shmup PCB to use a 6-button setup ala Street Fighter style. The original Japanese Bios version of Daioh used a 2-button setup. A USA Bios Daioh PCB can be changed to Japanese Bios mode via a 2-pin header on a certain jumper switch. It's like having two completely different arcade shmup PCBs on just one PCB! ^_~

I'm sure Matt could make you a custom-made "kick harness" cable for use with your Matt produced Supergun setup. Just ask him via PM. ^_~

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
oxtsu

Re: Superguns and games that use more than 3 buttons...

Post by oxtsu »

Would I have to open up the supergun? How do you connect it all to a controller?
Yes, you'll need to buy or make this Namco auxiliary (aka kicks) harness and wire it to your supergun's DB-15 controller ports (there should be some spare pins you could use). You'll then need to wire the extra button(s) in your controller to the respective pins on it's DB-15.

You might try contacting:
http://www.jammaboards.com/
and see if they'll make one for you.