GBS 8200/8220 CFW Project

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
strayan

Re: GBS 8200/8220 CFW Project

Post by strayan »

That’s called transcoding and is lag free.
Guile

Post by Guile »

strayan wrote:That’s called transcoding and is lag free.
Okay thanks. I didn't know if it was doing pure transcoding or some kind of scaling somewhere even with a 480p signal. It definitely felt like there was no extra lag at all when I tested it.
ulfrinn

Post by ulfrinn »

What would be the best format to transcode CVBS/Y/C into for the GBS-C? I may look at some chips and see if I can come up with some kind of a simple add-on for mine for s-video/composite.
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

Guile, look on page 140. When properly framelocked, the GBS-C only adds about 10 lines or 1/24th of a frame of lag even when upscaling 240p to 480p w/scanlines. Not even a mutant could notice this. Its essentially lag-free in any mode other than motion adaptive de-interlace, in which case adds 1 frame of lag.

**EDIT: Its page 140, not 40. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Josh128 on Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Guile

Post by Guile »

Josh128 wrote:Guile, look on page 40. When properly framelocked, the GBS-C only adds about 10 lines or 1/24th of a frame of lag even when upscaling 240p to 480p w/scanlines. Not even a mutant could notice this. Its essentially lag-free in any mode other than motion adaptive de-interlace, in which case adds 1 frame of lag.
I looked on page 40 but I don't see much about lag. There are some test results on page 54 reporting between 1 and 2.5 frames. Is that the data you're talking about?

I cleaned up the noise I was seeing on the gbs-c with a component cat5 extender. It's really excellent for games with switching dropouts and it solved the drops on the Extron dsc 301 as well. It's such a useful tool for many applications.
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

Im sorry, page 140. Typo. :oops:
Guile

Post by Guile »

Josh128 wrote:Im sorry, page 140. Typo. :oops:
Interesting tests, very nice to know the lag is that low. Where did you find the 1 frame value for deinterlacing lag? I didn't see that anywhere.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Guile wrote:Interesting tests, very nice to know the lag is that low. Where did you find the 1 frame value for deinterlacing lag? I didn't see that anywhere.
I think in general that's what adaptive deinterlacing takes at best. Do note that the bob deinterlace is faster, as fast as the 240p mode I believe.
strayan

Post by strayan »

Guile wrote:
Josh128 wrote:Im sorry, page 140. Typo. :oops:
Interesting tests, very nice to know the lag is that low. Where did you find the 1 frame value for deinterlacing lag? I didn't see that anywhere.
https://youtu.be/fmfR0XI5czI?t=785
hittheweights93

Post by hittheweights93 »

EmKIronFist wrote:Do you have the 100 ohm resistor to ground in place? If yes, try it without; if not, try it with the 100 ohm resistor.
The 100 ohm terminating resistor can sometimes result in waaay over-attenuated signals that either drop or roll, in my experience. I don't use it at all.

When I'm using a sync combiner, I remove the 470ohm resistor the Csync line too, because that also results in over-attenuation and loss of sync with my GBS.
Apologies for the very late response, but with or without the resistor this is the image that greets me: It's supposed to be the system menu.

The only thing I can think of that is any different is the particular CSync mod that I performed on this console. Though that should be outputting properly attenuated 75ohm CSync. The only other rogue element could be the ONEchip that's installed and its BIOS injection routine on startup but I couldn't imagine that being the fault.
ulfrinn

Post by ulfrinn »

So nobody has an idea of why there's a flicker issue with the MD2 VA4 Sega Genesis I tested and confirmed works on other scalers? I even hooked the GBS-C directly to a monitor over VGA, by passing the VGA to HDMI adapter and splitter.
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

I would think it has to be related to sync signal amplitude coming out of your Genny. Try lowering/increasing the amplitude of the sync/composite video signal and see what happens.
ulfrinn

Post by ulfrinn »

I'm not sure how I'd amplify it, I tried different resistances on the sync line with no change. I also tried using composite video for sync, also no difference.
hittheweights93

Is there an accepted "best" VGA -> HDMI transcoder model/chipset to use? I've used two models with differing chipsets inside and neither have supported 50hz on the output, though one could properly handle the oddball 61hz or so that my RGB modded N64 was supplying it.

Forcing the output to 60hz doesn't seem to be an option for me as the feature inside of gbscontrol does nothing and I believe having the Si5351 clock gen installed completely disables it.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

hittheweights93 wrote:Is there an accepted "best" VGA -> HDMI transcoder model/chipset to use? I've used two models with differing chipsets inside and neither have supported 50hz on the output, though one could properly handle the oddball 61hz or so that my RGB modded N64 was supplying it.
The OSSC is the absolute best, but of course not the most cost effective. Anything else AFAIK will be a compromise.
hittheweights93

Barring the OSSC of course lol!
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

hittheweights93 wrote:Barring the OSSC of course lol!
Haha well the Monoprice unit suggested in this topic earlier is decent, it supports all the GBS-C's output modes but the color is not as good, and it outputs 422 YCPCr. Extron VGA to HDMI non-scaling converters seem to be good and output full chroma 444 RGB, but the model I tested only accepts standard inputs like 480p, 720p, and 1080p, but not 1280x960 (or x1024 for PAL) which IMO is the best mode (the default for good reason).

ulfrinn wrote:So nobody has an idea of why there's a flicker issue with the MD2 VA4 Sega Genesis I tested and confirmed works on other scalers? I even hooked the GBS-C directly to a monitor over VGA, by passing the VGA to HDMI adapter and splitter.
I wonder if the problem is the console model or that particular unit, or maybe even the RGB cable. Never had issues with a VA0 and VA1, but I also have a clockgen on my GBS-C which may help. But I'd start by swapping out the cable and/or console to isolate the issue.
ulfrinn

Post by ulfrinn »

fernan1234 wrote:
hittheweights93 wrote:Barring the OSSC of course lol!
Haha well the Monoprice unit suggested in this topic earlier is decent, it supports all the GBS-C's output modes but the color is not as good, and it outputs 422 YCPCr. Extron VGA to HDMI non-scaling converters seem to be good and output full chroma 444 RGB, but the model I tested only accepts standard inputs like 480p, 720p, and 1080p, but not 1280x960 (or x1024 for PAL) which IMO is the best mode (the default for good reason).

ulfrinn wrote:So nobody has an idea of why there's a flicker issue with the MD2 VA4 Sega Genesis I tested and confirmed works on other scalers? I even hooked the GBS-C directly to a monitor over VGA, by passing the VGA to HDMI adapter and splitter.
I wonder if the problem is the console model or that particular unit, or maybe even the RGB cable. Never had issues with a VA0 and VA1, but I also have a clockgen on my GBS-C which may help. But I'd start by swapping out the cable and/or console to isolate the issue.
I could probably rule out the RGB cable since it works fine with 2 other model 2 Genesis consoles. I tried a VA1 and a VA1.8 and those didn't have the problem. And the VA4 doesn't have a problem when I tried a Levelhike cable. I am not sure if the VA4 did something differently that the GBS is more sensitive to or what.
possiblyanowl

Post by possiblyanowl »

Hey all,

I have a GBS-8200 v4.0 (black buttons, single output) modded with GBS-Control, most recent version.

I have completed various hardware mods to it:
100 ohm resistor
removed RGB pots
replaced C33 and C35 (sog capacitors) for some component input sync issues i was having
clock generator mod
replaced C11 with a 50V 22uf capacitor (50v is what I had lying around, if this would cause an issue let me know)

Anyways, the scaler largely works great, but I get lots of noise on the output. I have replaced the cables, VGA>HDMI adapter, power supply, etc. The only constants in my setup are the GBS-8200 and the HDMI capture card (obviously the HDMI capture card wouldn't add this sort of noise).

Here is a video I captured demonstrating the diagonal lines I get: [https://streamable.com/p8lin2][https://streamable.com/p8lin2]

Is there anything I am missing as far as mods go? I ordered some 10uf SMD capacitors to try and add extra caps to the power supply, as documented on the wiki, they haven't arrived yet. I am going to try that mod and hope that it fixes it, but maybe there's something else I should try?
Kez

Post by Kez »

That very much looks like power noise to me. What power sources have you tried using? I often get good results using high quality USB phone chargers with USB -> Barrel connector cables. I would also try connecting the GBS-C up to different outlets, and disconnecting other devices in the area. Also, is the HDMI adapter being powered from the same place as the GBS-C?
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

Could be power noise but Ive also seen similar diagonal lines like that from mechanical switches and certain cables. Could also be visual noise caused by induction of the audio signal into the video lines. How are you splitting / combining your audio going to/coming out of the GBS-C?
Guile

Post by Guile »

I posted about similar noise on the gbs-c a few pages back. The only thing that worked for me was using an unpowered component cat5 extender. This somehow totally removed all noise and it looks pristine now.

I also put copper tape on the bottom of the board which helped a little.
possiblyanowl

Post by possiblyanowl »

Hey all,

@Kez I am using an Anker usb power supply, an expensive one, and a USB > barrel adapter. This same power supply also powers the VGA > HDMI adapter, with a micro USB cable.

@Josh128 I am using the audio input on a VGA > HDMI adapter, but this issue persists when I don’t add in audio at all, unfortunately.
hittheweights93

hittheweights93 wrote:Has anyone else had any issues with running a PlayStation 1 via SCART w/ csync into their GBS? Plugged in directly on my Sony Bravia the image comes through just fine, however into the GBS the image is rolling/tearing and is completely unusable. It's the same case with my iiyama monitor.
hittheweights93 wrote:Apologies for the very late response, but with or without the resistor this is the image that greets me: It's supposed to be the system menu.

The only thing I can think of that is any different is the particular CSync mod that I performed on this console. Though that should be outputting properly attenuated 75ohm CSync. The only other rogue element could be the ONEchip that's installed and its BIOS injection routine on startup but I couldn't imagine that being the fault.
Does anyone have any idea why this might be happening? I ended up removing the ONEchip and replacing it with TonyHAX and that doesn't seem to have been the issue. I also installed a second crystal oscillator for true 53.69MHz frequency on 60Hz games but that hasn't made a difference.

Does this tearing issue seem indicative of anything? Maybe the signal is too hot? I'm just completely out of ideas at this point.
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

possiblyanowl wrote:Hey all,

@Kez I am using an Anker usb power supply, an expensive one, and a USB > barrel adapter. This same power supply also powers the VGA > HDMI adapter, with a micro USB cable.

@Josh128 I am using the audio input on a VGA > HDMI adapter, but this issue persists when I don’t add in audio at all, unfortunately.
The vga to hdmi adapters are noisy, with or without audio inserted.

Try going to a vga monitor if you are able, to isolate the issue to the adapter. Copper tape on the ram lines may also help in general but will not overcome the adapter noise.

C33 and c35 replacement is unnecessary. But you do want to do these (I'm assuming that why you have 10uf caps on order): Add 10uf / 22uf ceramic SMD capacitors in parallel to stock ones (x4) C23, C41(alternative: C43), C42, C48.

50v for c11 is fine. 6.3v is the minimum standard available cap. Anything higher will be fine.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
TABYDACAT

Post by TABYDACAT »

TABYDACAT wrote:OLED Addon update:

- Simplified circuit and re-did the protoboard for troubleshooting ease (also making it easier to produce an easy-to-install PCB in the future)
- Adjusted text timings, alignment and fonts
- Filled in more menus and fixed presets from not loading from one button press
- Replaced "Exit Settings" option to "Current Settings" in discovering that having two screens for this isn't all that functional

TODO:

- Finish remaining menus (includes text, timings and oled navigation etc)
- Design 3d printable case that others can print or modify
- Design inexpensive/simple PCB so OLED addon doesn't require too much modifying of already installed GBS-C units out there.

Below are sample pics of the current status. Ignore the sticker hehe. Sorry for long post, thanks for taking time to read. Hope you have a great day!
Spoiler
Image ImageImage Image Image ImageImageImage

EDIT: My OLED add-on is now complete! Menus, Text, OLED operations all done! Last piece was testing the previous code to display resolutions, input type, etc. I've posted examples of consoles tested (DC,PS1,PS2) as examples. This is displayed by navigating to the "current settings" option in the main menu. O yea switched to a single color option OLED which IMO looks cleaner. Any testers out there that want to take this for a test drive?
Spoiler

Not sure if anyone has checked out the github lately, but this OLED addon is now merged with the main GBS Control firmware (as of almost a month ago). You can find all the info to install, operate and extra notes in the wiki.
https://github.com/ramapcsx2/gbs-contro ... ware-Setup
https://github.com/ramapcsx2/gbs-contro ... Setup-Info
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

Thats a really cool addition! Thanks for your efforts!
TimbleThimble

Post by TimbleThimble »

Edit: Accidental reply sorry, please ignore. (Can't find how to delete post lmao.)
Last edited by TimbleThimble on Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
SCARTicus

Post by SCARTicus »

Josh128 wrote:Thats a really cool addition! Thanks for your efforts!
Josh, when you did that lag test with your camera, did you test the 240p downscaling mode or just upscaling modes? I really want to use this to get 240p out of my Xbox and Dreamcast, but I'm crazy about input lag, especially for fighters.
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

Just the upscaling mode. I would have to imagine that downscaling should be no more latency intensive than upscaling though.