Questions that do not deserve a thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
vol.2

Re: Questions that do not deserve a thread

Post by vol.2 »

HDgaming42 wrote: Is it just an adhesive, or does it have thermal properties? Any guesses, as I don't have any of whatever that is...
Spoiler
Yes. It is hot glue.

I have some doubts if replacing the caps will fix the issue (unless you have detectived it to that point). If you want help figuring out what is wrong with it you should post more thorough information.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Can somebody give me an idea which tools to use to transfer a PS1 save game from an original memory card and convert it into a file which I can use with retroarch?

I have the original hardware on hand as well as a PS3 mem card reader and a PS1 mem card pro (using micro sd cards).
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Fudoh wrote:Can somebody give me an idea which tools to use to transfer a PS1 save game from an original memory card and convert it into a file which I can use with retroarch?

I have the original hardware on hand as well as a PS3 mem card reader and a PS1 mem card pro (using micro sd cards).
The way I do it is to use a PS2 loaded with FMCB and transfer the savegame files from the memory card directly to a usb stick. The stick has to be FAT32.

The savegame files have different filename structures for different games, but they are pretty similar to each other and often have a code like "BASLUS" in them followed by a string.

There are also various memory card management frontends for PSX/2 savegames with editors you can find online, but I've never used any of those. I just keep everything on a stick. It's very important to backup those saves if you care about them. I've had at least 3 PS1 memory cards fail on me, and it's not hard to pooch the data if you are going between a PS1 and PS2.

Trying to use a PS3, I'm not famailar with as I've never owned one.
Hoagtech

Post by Hoagtech »

What device can some one reccomend going from RGBHV to DVI-D?

My goal is to chain an OSSC into an Extron RXI 203 to a DVI-D port

INPUT SIGNAL>OSSC>TENDAK DAC HDMI to RGBHV>DSUB CABLE>EXTRON RXI 203>BNC TO DSUB CABLE> ?? > DVI D INPUT ON CRT.

Any input would be helpful. I have all these devices and cables minus a recommended Vga to DVI..
Copyright 1987
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

that doesn't make too much sense. What's the 203's purpose in this case?
Hoagtech

Post by Hoagtech »

Peak and level control as well as ease of centering.

I saw one in action so I bought one for my Mitsubishi XC3725C and I want to use it on a HDCRT 540p Trinitron and it requires me to use the DVI-D for lowest input lag.

Any recommendations Fudoh?
Copyright 1987
strayan

Post by strayan »

Hoagtech wrote: I saw one in action so I bought one for my Mitsubishi XC3725C and I want to use it on a HDCRT 540p Trinitron and it requires me to use the DVI-D for lowest input lag.
Are you sure about that? viewtopic.php?p=1424904#p1424904
Hoagtech

Post by Hoagtech »

strayan wrote:
Hoagtech wrote: I saw one in action so I bought one for my Mitsubishi XC3725C and I want to use it on a HDCRT 540p Trinitron and it requires me to use the DVI-D for lowest input lag.
Are you sure about that? viewtopic.php?p=1424904#p1424904
According to original article I was referenced to the input lag is much worse on 480p component than DVI on the lag test.

Granted the DVI is converted to YPBPR but the lag test shows otherwise.

2nd Update:

I went ahead and checked how much delay feeding the TV non 1080i resolutions after changing the above service menu setting would cause and here are my results:
{SNIP}
Component:

480i 50ms

480p: 30ms

720p: 14ms

DVI:

480p: 14ms

720p: 16ms
{/END SNIP}

Regardless of the tech. I recently sold my Audio Authority VGA to Component for cheap and I don’t want to buy it for more from Fleabay.

Can someone recommend a good VGA to DVI adapter for ANY purpose that doesn’t introduce input lag?

I would love to know what people are using for their VGA to DVI purposes.
Copyright 1987
strayan

Post by strayan »

Ah, I thought you were targeting lag free 540p.

You know you can just use a VGA to HDMI transcoder and HDMI to DVI cable right?

They should all be lag free.
Hoagtech

Post by Hoagtech »

strayan wrote:Ah, I thought you were targeting lag free 540p.

You know you can just use a VGA to HDMI transcoder and HDMI to DVI cable right?

They should all be lag free.
I will eventually when the modern scalers are both readily available and implement a 480p res in a 540p window.

For now I have this and have no idea about it’s lag or quality as I noticed some DAC’s have scaling, black crush, and jitter.

I was hoping for recommendation and understanding of the ADC.

Copyright 1987
mbstone

Post by mbstone »

My CRT is RGB modded with a VGA connector input (with pinouts to RGB and csync). I have a NESRGB with SNES multiout A/V connector output. I don't have a multiout to vga cable. Does such a cable exist? If not, what do you recommend for a DIY solution? Should I mod a multiout to SCART cable or a VGA cable?
Hoagtech

Post by Hoagtech »

mbstone wrote:My CRT is RGB modded with a VGA connector input (with pinouts to RGB and csync). I have a NESRGB with SNES multiout A/V connector output. I don't have a multiout to vga cable. Does such a cable exist? If not, what do you recommend for a DIY solution? Should I mod a multiout to SCART cable or a VGA cable?
You can create an input with a couple adapters:

VGA to Scart and Scart coupler

https://www.ebay.com/itm/154453564837?c ... 6167ce8dac

https://www.ebay.com/itm/233986833960?c ... bcbc46802c

Copyright 1987
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

mbstone wrote:My CRT is RGB modded with a VGA connector input (with pinouts to RGB and csync). I have a NESRGB with SNES multiout A/V connector output. I don't have a multiout to vga cable. Does such a cable exist? If not, what do you recommend for a DIY solution? Should I mod a multiout to SCART cable or a VGA cable?
Retro-Access can make one for you.

If you buy SCART-VGA cables, pay attention to the direction, a SCART to VGA cable is not the same as a VGA to SCART cable.
Hoagtech

Post by Hoagtech »

fernan1234 wrote:
Retro-Access can make one for you.

If you buy SCART-VGA cables, pay attention to the direction, a SCART to VGA cable is not the same as a VGA to SCART cable.
I agree that Retro Access would be the way to go because of their quality but I would like to know what you mean by the “same direction”?

The cable is the same with a coupler just a different gender.

Copyright 1987
Kez

Post by Kez »

SCART cables are crosswired on a few of the pins: audio L/R and most importantly sync/CVBS. Pin 19 on one side is connected to pin 20 on the other.
strayan

Post by strayan »

mbstone wrote:Does such a cable exist?
This may interest you

https://www.tindie.com/products/chipnet ... o-adapter/
mbstone

Post by mbstone »

strayan wrote:
mbstone wrote:Does such a cable exist?
This may interest you

https://www.tindie.com/products/chipnet ... o-adapter/
This interests me a great deal, but the price does not. I've already spent hundreds of dollars on the NESRGB, paid someone to RGB mod my CRT and hoping to not break the bank one last time.

I'd rather not do a coupler because the cabling will be getting clunky. The Goobay adapter cable looks promising, just need to buy SNES multiout connector and replace the SCART with that. Great suggestions with retro access. I missed the boat on their last order.

Could I make my own DIY cable? Say, I find a SCART or VGA cable, could I not modify one end or the other for the connector I need and do that?
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

If you're in the continental US I can make you a multi out to VGA dongle for $25 shipped
mbstone

Post by mbstone »

maxtherabbit wrote:If you're in the continental US I can make you a multi out to VGA dongle for $25 shipped
Would you consider shipping to Canada? I'm literally less than an hour north of the Montana I-15 border.

So multi out to VGA + L/R audio cable? Sort of like RetroAccess' multi out to BNC + L/R audio cable?
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

mbstone wrote:
maxtherabbit wrote:If you're in the continental US I can make you a multi out to VGA dongle for $25 shipped
Would you consider shipping to Canada? I'm literally less than an hour north of the Montana I-15 border.

So multi out to VGA + L/R audio cable? Sort of like RetroAccess' multi out to BNC + L/R audio cable?
Sorry but it's just not worth the hassle to ship internationally at that price point

It's not a cable btw it's just a dongle with a DE-15 and 3.5mm audio jack
mbstone

Post by mbstone »

maxtherabbit wrote:
mbstone wrote:

Sorry but it's just not worth the hassle to ship internationally at that price point

It's not a cable btw it's just a dongle with a DE-15 and 3.5mm audio jack
No problem, I understand #CanadianProblems

I think my work has one, and that should be a pretty elegant cable solution, just need to cut one end and put on a SNES multi out plug on the other.
TrantaLocked_

Post by TrantaLocked_ »

maxtherabbit wrote:It first came on the scene with PC video cards that had DVI support. They would scale the output to the native resolution of the LCD panel as per its EDID. However this was done in the TMDS transmitter chip IIRC not the GPU

The first of these cards were indeed contemporary with the original xbox, so it's possible the feature made it over, but I seriously doubt it
https://makemhz.com/blogs/news/makemhz- ... xhd-update

"A lot has changed since then. This solution is no longer limited to 1:1 video output and instead is leveraging the built-in video output scaler of the Nvidia NV2A to act as our own polyphase scaler."

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

TrantaLocked_ wrote:
maxtherabbit wrote:It first came on the scene with PC video cards that had DVI support. They would scale the output to the native resolution of the LCD panel as per its EDID. However this was done in the TMDS transmitter chip IIRC not the GPU

The first of these cards were indeed contemporary with the original xbox, so it's possible the feature made it over, but I seriously doubt it
https://makemhz.com/blogs/news/makemhz- ... xhd-update

"A lot has changed since then. This solution is no longer limited to 1:1 video output and instead is leveraging the built-in video output scaler of the Nvidia NV2A to act as our own polyphase scaler."

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!
well hot damn
RottenToTheGore

Post by RottenToTheGore »

Going to try my hand at making a console to HD15 cable soon, have a 5 conductor cable, each individually shielded. Only need 4 of them in this case. This is just for video, as audio will be a separate wire.

Pins 1 2 and 3 are for RGB, with ground for each going to 6, 7 and 8.
Pin 13 is H-Sync, and Pin 5 is H-Sync ground, simple there.

But I've seen some diagrams with multiple ground pins connected to each other, is that something that always needs to be done? On the console end all of the ground signals would go to one ground pin.
Smashbro29

Post by Smashbro29 »

Could I do a full quality RGB upscaling setup without SCART? Do I lose anything going all in on component cables? I recall framemesiter processed component worse or different but the new options seem to do it just fine.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Smashbro29 wrote:Could I do a full quality RGB upscaling setup without SCART? Do I lose anything going all in on component cables? I recall framemesiter processed component worse or different but the new options seem to do it just fine.
Theoretically you might be losing detail going from RGB to component then back to RGB, but in practice it's probably not going to do much if anything. I'd be more concerned about switches, as I never found a good one for component. Even an Audio Authority one I had couldn't auto switch and made the output sync levels too hot so that white screens would lose picture on the display.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

vol.2 wrote:
Fudoh wrote:Can somebody give me an idea which tools to use to transfer a PS1 save game from an original memory card and convert it into a file which I can use with retroarch?

The way I do it is to use a PS2 loaded with FMCB and transfer the savegame files from the memory card directly to a usb stick. The stick has to be FAT32.

The savegame files have different filename structures for different games, but they are pretty similar to each other and often have a code like "BASLUS" in them followed by a string.

There are also various memory card management frontends for PSX/2 savegames with editors you can find online, but I've never used any of those. I just keep everything on a stick. It's very important to backup those saves if you care about them. I've had at least 3 PS1 memory cards fail on me, and it's not hard to pooch the data if you are going between a PS1 and PS2.
I haven't yet tried it myself, but this memory card utility (scroll down a little) advertises compatibility with the PS3 Memory Card adapter, and is bundled with a driver. It can read and write directly to PS1 cards.

Unfortunately, I've as of yet been unable to find a similar utility for PS2 cards, nor the ideal single utility that could handle both types.
vol.2 wrote:Trying to use a PS3, I'm not famailar with as I've never owned one.
A PS3 wouldn't be involved; the mentioned PS3 Memory Card Adapter is a PS1/PS2 memory card to USB adapter. It was intended for importing and exporting PS1 and PS2 game saves between physical cards and the internal virtual memory cards.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

especially with the mem card pro I think the transfer itself is the smallest problem. I was hoping for some advice on how to convert a save game from a memory card into a save file that I can use on retroarch.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Fudoh wrote:especially with the mem card pro I think the transfer itself is the smallest problem. I was hoping for some advice on how to convert a save game from a memory card into a save file that I can use on retroarch.
This will do that...

https://github.com/ShendoXT/memcardrex

You will have to save as *.mcr and then rename the file to *.srm afterwards. Then just drop it in the "saves" folder in Retroarch.

Or maybe not actually. I think he might have added .srm as a save-as option.

Check this guide for details: https://docs.goldenxp.com/using-your-ps ... retroarch/
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

Question about a dual padhack into a stick.

I have an old Hori PS2 stick, I removed the PS2 board a long time ago and put in a PCB from a Dualshock 3. I want to add back in the Hori board for PS1/2 compatibility.

I have a plan to deal with the lack of common ground on the Dualshock 3, but what about voltage?

I read it's important to always have both PCB's powered (though I'm not sure why). Problem is, I know the Dualshock 3 is 5v, but the Hori is 3.3v.

Will there be a problem if the Hori gets 5v, or DS3 gets 3.3v?