Ninja Gaiden [NES] + R2RKMF: Scrolling Action Monogatari

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
BrianC

Re: Ninja Gaiden [NES] + R2RKMF: Scrolling Action Monogatari

Post by BrianC »

When I tried Strider 1 and 2 with the retrotink 5x, I noticed that Strider 2 is interlaced and Strider 1 runs at 384x224 (240?). I looked it up on system16.com and 384x224 is the native CPS1 resolution.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

What's "the" version of ActRaiser 2 to play? It's been decades since I played it - I remember liking it a lot, but I don't remember which version I played at the time.

Based on Perikles' summary of each version, it actually sounds like the PAL version (on Hard, and in 60hz) might be the best "balanced" version? But I'm unsure if they did any changes to make it play "correctly" in 50hz though, and generally try to stay away from PAL releases nowadays.
While a difficult US version sounds tempting, I've often heard people complain about its difficulty, like it's not always in a nice way, but I'm also afraid the Japanese one might be too easy, since they felt the need to make these changes for the overseas version?
BIL

Post by BIL »

I've only played JP, which feels juuust right. It can be pretty assholic if you're not exploiting your iframes (The Master is an arse-reaving avenger in learned hands, a lumbering deathtrap for flailers) - so I imagine most of the scrubwhine re: NTSCU would apply there, too. :lol:

If it's any help: PJ DiCesare's invaluable primer, All About ARII I-Frames. Remember, kids! Air To Ground, That Ass You Will Pound :cool:
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Spent some time with ma Ninjas Yaksha and Big Boy Blue.

Yaksha run was ok for a long hiatus. Some slop here and there, and it takes far longer for me to play through. Final stage was a mess like I forgot how to play and then at one point vs. Banglar I just starting killing mooks and forgot about Banglar.

BBB - Wrecked everything up to and including Silverman, who I atomic dropped seven times in a row. Stopped there, but ill play some more today.

Kinda want to go for mad murder machine. Only like 100 seconds off.
My lord, I have come for you.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Pirate Pete is today's arcade archives. Looks like a reskin of Jungle King. I wonder why they chose this version over the more familiar Jungle Hunt.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Was just posting about Pete over in Shmups Chat. Odd pick indeed... I assume we'll see the related boards at some point, ala Guzzler/Swimmer. As said over in SC, I've no real attachment to the game itself, and tbh, it feels like a weaker attempt at Circus Charlie's "action/platformer skills test," but it's got enough of that Paleo-Taito appeal that I picked it up.

(bugs the hell outta me that the best game of that batch, The Tin Star, is afflicted by horrendous bullet visibility >w< it rocks, but it's nigh-unreadable)
trap15

Post by trap15 »

iirc Jungle King has some good ol' down-home copyright infringement with the Tarzan yell, which is why they made Pirate Pete. On some review of Youtube footage, I guess Jungle Hunt was made to be closer to Jungle King without the Tarzan yell, so I guess I couldn't tell you why they made Pirate Pete or why they decided to re-release this version instead.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Interesting... I always love those copyright duck n' cover maneuvers. :mrgreen: I'm still impressed Wild Guns Reloaded kept the SFC's Morricone-riffing extend jingle. "The Good, The Bad And The Ugly" must be the most instantly-recognisable snippet in all of Western (oh god, I didn't mean to do that :shock: keepin tho Image) pop culture.

EDIT: I see the title screen is copyright Taito America - guess this may be one of those "new to Japan" picks, ala VS Castlevania.

EDIT2: Man, I could see people absolutely bonering over this BITD. Got a pretty nice cinematic flow. Escape the ship, commando through shark-infested ocean, invade the boobytrapped parallax cave, then save the hot girl with the big tits! Cowabunga! I see the manual mentions "birds" in stage 1, which don't seem to appear on defaults. Guess this might get a bit busier higher up the scoreboard.

Oh god, the birds just kinda hang out on the ropes. Had sine-waving visions of Dracula bats dancing in my head, haha. The actual Dracula birds would've been even better. Shifty pricks.

EDIT3: Jesus, loop 2 ship background X_X forecast is mild chop with thermonuclear holocaust. I swear the colour RAM on these early 80s Taito boards was designed by that one dude who survived both nukes, this is a mild custard yellow to his incomparably rugged vision. >_>

EDIT4: Cranked it all the way up to Difficulty 8, tbh I like this just fine. Colour is easy on the eyes, stage 1 gets some needed complication via birdie, and stage 2 is a nightmare of predatory marine life, haven't knifed so many fish fucks since RE4. Left it there for now - not a scrolling action classic for Taito ala Elevator Action or Kage, but it's pretty aight imo (and a good couple years older than them) - pardon those retina-searing loop colours.

Catching back up, was typing while gaming, a lethal distraction!
Stevens wrote:Kinda want to go for mad murder machine. Only like 100 seconds off.
Before getting distracted by a bunch of PS2/onward stuff (I blame that scheissevogel BURINJU (■`W´■)), I was revisiting TNWOA, and noticed I'd missed MMM by something like three seconds as Ninja, before knowing the trophy existed. :mrgreen: Thought I'd record a go of it with Kunoichi, but I kept getting trainwrecked at Jubei. What a slippery bastard! Killing him's not the problem, catching him is. :evil: But as I try to remind myself, isn't it better a game give you a run for your money than roll over and die? Grumble grumble yeah I guess. Imma kill you next time Jubei.

Wicked time attack game, even moreso than the original. Got that new Kiki Kaikai coming out soon, too.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

MMM unlocked with Ninja!

That happened way faster than I thought it would, especially I hadn't played in months before yesterday.

I cut about five minutes from my time, 2617 to 2322.

That said I am a ways off with anyone else. My best time was with Ninja. Kunoichi was in the 2700's and Yaksha was 2900+.

Atomic drop loop contributed a fair bit I think.

And yeah Jubeis a fucking shit. Only boss that still whoops me now and again.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Nice. Image I love that little callback to the OG Ninja Warriors, aka The Immortal Murder Machines Image
pegboy

Post by pegboy »

After talking about doing it for nearly 10 years I finally set down and put some dedicated effort into finally doing a no death run of Contra III on hard. To me this was the pinnacle of the series, it's got the perfect level of difficulty and a fair bit of RNG that keeps you on your toes from run to run.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Tough run! Lots of twitchy threats in that one, from start to finish. In terms of "Event Rush" sidescrolling, it's high up on my list, just behind Alien Soldier. That balance of pure RNG to patterned attacks is something Hard Corps and Shattered Soldier, while also must-haves in my book, never quite matched. I'd one-lifed/S-Ranked those many years before playing III - while they're definitely tough by console standards, III/Hard's unruly side puts a 1LC in the arcade ballpark.

I know the topdown stages leave a lot of players cold, but I actually kinda like them. Their Assault-style seek/destroy handles just as sharply as the main stages, and they can be totally demolished in ~1min apiece. As for the C+C exploit, while it's not ideal, it's pretty interesting as far as "ultimate weapons" go. Short reach, narrow spread, and long decay heavily offset the high DPS - you need a mastery of stages and bosses to survive, let alone reach its potential. I always caution newbies to stay away from it until they're comfortably clearing Normal, and moreover, not to go nuts on the [switch] button (moderate tapping's all you need).

Warning: Notorious Bum Driller
Spoiler
Last edited by BIL on Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Searchlike

Post by Searchlike »

I had an itch to revisit the Bionic Commando games, I wonder why, so I loaded Rearmed and picked Super Hard, which I don't have any recollection of clearing before. Seemed like a pretty good challenge till I encountered those damn puzzles in the communication room. I had totally forgotten about them, looks like they have an even tighter timer. Screw that, I'm going back to Umihara Kawase. :lol:
pegboy

Post by pegboy »

Hey BIL

For Contra III I did do some c+c attacks, although mostly just on the final stage for the ending bosh rush. I tended to stick with c+laser for most of the game, as laser is very useful in the overhead levels and also against the stage 4 boss. Grabbed the flame a few times for small sections of stage 3 (for that thing in the gif you posted) and 4 (with those monkey guys, although I guess I could have just bombed them). Unlike in Contra and Super C, spread is virtually useless.

I plan on doing Harp Corp or Shattered Soldier next. I did do a S-rank back when Shattered Soldier was still new but I "cheated" in that you can actually use continues and still get a s-rank. What the hell kind of oversight is that?

What do you recommend for Harp Corp? I know there are many different end bosses and characters to choose from. From what I remember that little robot is pretty overpowered and the wolf guy sucks.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Worst thing about the Shattered Soldier oversight is, it doesn't distinguish no-retry S-Ranks from straight ones (I checked! But I was clearly enjoying the game a lot, so no harm done tbh :lol:)

Hard Corps, yeah, difficulty varies quite a bit depending on character+route combination. As a general rule, Ray is the most "normal" character. IIRC, his most notable technique is pointblanked Spreadgun (C), which carries a ton of risk (Squire has some great posts on this).

Fang/Wolf and Browny/Robot are the idiosyncratic game-breaker characters. Former is a massive target, but his A+C weapons both give excellent coverage, and his Charge Shot can kill many bosses before they do much of anything. It's also got a fairly easy exploit, which lets you fire maxed shots without charging. It's been a while, but basically, you start a Punch (B), then double-tap the [switch] button over to D, before the attack can complete. Result = max charge shot out of nowhere. Double-tap back to (B) and repeat - nothing can survive long. I actually never mastered it, though, because I was getting bored of Fang long before learning of it.

As for Browny, the Yo-Yo can seem useless, if used "normally" by holding the button. However, if you feather [shot] so it repeatedly stabs out at a target, they'll be dead in no time. IIRC, speedrunners heavily favour him for this reason.

I pretty much use Sheena exclusively these days. She's more entertaining than Ray, but doesn't obliterate bosses like Fang/Browny. Her tracking laser, while weak, will shred any attack/wave made up of multiple small targets. Feels rad turning it loose on the Alien Queen, blanketing the screen in burning debris. Her other, non-Machinegun weapons have some interesting techniques, too - like firing the C laser near screen edges to rack up fast damage (try getting on top of the penultimate Infested Base miniboss and impaling him to the floor with it - looks so cool), and braining awkwardly-positioned targets with arcing grenades.

Sunset Hardcorps
Spoiler

Routes... without wanting to spoil their content (not sure how much you've seen of HC), the one reached by A) chasing Deadeye Joe, then B) surrendering is probably the shortest and easiest. Longest and toughest, I would say is A) defending the research facility, then B) fighting to the end. I'd put the remaining two, [chase/fight] and [defend/surrender] in the middle, easier to harder.

Whichever you choose, you'll have to do a fair bit of pattern memorisation, especially in NTSCU with its 1HKOs - just the game's nature. They're all really good, quality-wise - my chief criticism of Hard Corps is it scattering all this good stuff across four paths, then making an infamously overlong boss (st4/jungle) mandatory for all of them. >_< Still, more than worth putting up with.
qmish

Post by qmish »

Sorry if silly question, but was there an arcade release that was close to Ninja Gaiden trilogy?

GnG, ML etc. are different school and approach... Anything comes to mind?
BIL

Post by BIL »

The two most Famicom-esque sidescrolling action games I've played are Green Beret and Rygar, who relate to one another much like FC Castlevania and Ninja Gaiden (latter keeps the supremely practical sprite/screen ratio, and basic hop/stab chassis, while upping player and enemy potency in precise concert - such that, despite Tecmo's games letting you do things unheard of in Konami's, they still feel about as punishing). If Rygar had used a lifebar and knockbacks, rather than 1HKOs, I could imagine it playing a lot like NG. Stern enough that you'll need to develop your strategy for each stage, but highly open to improv if things go awry.

(incidentally, NMK's Ninja Crusaders: Ryuuga is pretty much NG with 1HKOs, and a few further tweaks, and it indeed has an intensity very much like Rygar's... far nearer that game's tenor than Tecmo's own FC Rygar entry, Hachamecha Daishingeki)

As for a true 1:1 NG-AC, though? I've not seen one, but I'm relatively new to arcade scrolling action. Wouldn't surprise me at all if something's out there.
mycophobia

Post by mycophobia »

im done with Metal Storm I think. the 2-4 boss just sucks and is way too inconsistent and im sick of doing the first loop now
BIL

Post by BIL »

IIRC, his movements, and those of his turrets, are actually static. Or maybe I was getting a consistent RNG seed on my password... couldn't say for sure, been a while. I remember making similar moves each time, though. Hectic fight, regardless.

>2-4 (w/G)
>Loop 2 Boss Rush (w/P)

Haha, I'd totally forgotten the Boss Rush's icily calculating remix of the stage boss BGM. Always gave a real sense of endgame, with DickLazor 9000 readying to blast Earth's collective asscheeks clear across the solar system.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Got to Jubei with Kunoichi and blanked on what I was posed to do. As my corpse was exploding I remembered.

Jump kick is your friend for getting in.
pegboy

Post by pegboy »

So I've spent the last week getting re-associated with Contra Hard Corp. I'm playing as Ray and doing the route that ends with the missile launch, which is the same route I was trying 15 years ago. I have pretty good strategies for everything except for the Bahamut fight right before the missile launch. He is pretty much a bastard and seems very random, and this seems like the biggest hurdle for me to no-death the game. My strategy is to use the blue laser on him and stick to the edge of the screen as much as possible. His attacks aren't really that hard to avoid other than the damn "hopping" around, which is almost always what gets me killed.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Claw Bahamut's hyper-hop is definitely one of HC's bigger RNG hazards - it's been a long time, but I don't recall there being any exploitable pattern to it, just a matter of not getting baited into a slide. His other stuff - rocks, charge, dive - is nowhere as quirky... though I once saw the last one softlock the damn game. :lol: (US ver, real cart+hardware - he noclipped off the screen bottom and stayed down there, the attack's sound effect playing all the while).

The other big RNG killers I'd mention are the Battle Train route's Spheroid Joe, specifically his second form after losing an arm (his erratic drift/lunge movement creeps me out), and that crazy baldhead fuck Doctor Crab, who's just a bottomless beer glass of misfortune. The slide's double-edged i-frames really shine in that fight, you'll die without them, but overuse will quickly prove lethal, too.

Spoiler

There's a fourth I rate, too, though it's randomly-chosen and very missable - the Jungle Rollerbot (first form)'s mortar attack. Particularly with the intrusive status bar, the odd trajectory and speed can punish the hell out of a nervous slide. I would've given this attack to the Infested Base's Beast Kimkou (FC Super Contra last boss) redux. Its own mortar attack is nowhere as intense as Contra III's equivalent, not least because he doesn't try to nail your ass with a near-instant laser right afterward.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

IIRC that bahamut fight can be approached very safely, if you just stand still and wait for him to move before reacting to it. Just learn the first few frames of tell for each of his actions and you should be good.
Or am I thinking of a different fight?
BIL

Post by BIL »

We're probably talking about the same boss. It's the one where he straps on a massive bionic claw, after you reject his offer of a BAD END. The only other 1v1 Bahamut duel is with his CHOUJIN-SAMA form, in the Train route. That one is 100% static patterns. Hop his hadoukens, slide through his tackle - which has a goddamn countdown ticker, Nakazato pls Image I'd have nixed the digits, it's not a flat-out instakill (unlike the Great Takeda Robot's crosshair bombing), and you can hop it just as easily - and don't be in the corner for his renzokudan barrage (get center-screen and shoot him back).

That fight is a prime example of Fang/Browny game-breaking. Charge Shot/Yo-Yo will beat him before he gets more than two attacks off.
andsuchisdeath

Post by andsuchisdeath »

I wonder how a Natsume developed Thunder Fox Again on the SFC would have turned out.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Interesting thought... I could see them pulling back on the AC's mass melees (or maybe keeping them to vehicle runs), dialling up the Rolling Thunder aspect. Smaller but beefier crowds, lots of perilous footing and entrenched snipers, with the same American Ninja moveset tailored for aggressive demolitions. Flashkicking onto a catwalk to defenestrate some grenade-chucking twat, mowing through his buddies with the big boot, then dive-stomping onto the previously-untouchable machinegunner, finishing him off with jab-chained stabs. Ho ho ho! NOW I HAVE A MACHINEGUN

Definitely reverse-import the badass LIONIZER enemy mech from the otherwise-limp MD conversion! I was gutted when I realised it wasn't in the categorically superior AC ver. Actually, with Natsume's clear fondness for rock 'em sock 'em mecha bosses (Jetman, Power Rangers), the player could have their own bipedal FREEDOM DELIVERY VEHICLE Image Image

Fuuuck, imagine a final boss showdown along the lines of Endless Duel, followed by an Apex Macho knife fight to the death atop the burning hulls. With maybe a few jetpack sniper zako to flashkick. Enemy HQ in flames for BG (final stage's intro panel - SKIPPABLE - our blue & red dudes rigging up C4 :cool:). Mayne. Image

I've never actually played either of their Power Rangers games, so my point of reference for beefed-up (but non-brawler) combat here is Mutant Apocalypse. Image
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

BIL wrote: followed by an Apex Macho knife fight ]
Why shoot me with the gun when you can stab me with the knife?
BIL

Post by BIL »

When it comes to boss duel design, I like Jack Krauser's philosophy: stab or be shot :cool: :lol:

EDIT: Daww. Much like the RLM doods previously, gotta give a shout to the Kengan Ashura/Omega team.

These three industrious dudes have impeccable VG cred. I'm waiting for Omega to complete a few more volumes after a promising start, but I'll vouch for Ashura wholesale. Excellent, visibly CAP/SNK influenced competitive fighting manga. Has a sometimes budget-strapped but well-performed ongoing anime, too - featuring Joe Higash's classic VA, Nobuyuki Hiyama! - but I'd suggest just reading the whole thing.

OraOraOraOraOraOra! YO-SHAAAAAA!
Spoiler
andsuchisdeath

Post by andsuchisdeath »

BIL wrote:Interesting thought... I could see them pulling back on the AC's mass melees (or maybe keeping them to vehicle runs), dialling up the Rolling Thunder aspect. Smaller but beefier crowds, lots of perilous footing and entrenched snipers, with the same American Ninja moveset tailored for aggressive demolitions. Flashkicking onto a catwalk to defenestrate some grenade-chucking twat, mowing through his buddies with the big boot, then dive-stomping onto the previously-untouchable machinegunner, finishing him off with jab-chained stabs. Ho ho ho! NOW I HAVE A MACHINEGUN

Definitely reverse-import the badass LIONIZER enemy mech from the otherwise-limp MD conversion! I was gutted when I realised it wasn't in the categorically superior AC ver. Actually, with Natsume's clear fondness for rock 'em sock 'em mecha bosses (Jetman, Power Rangers), the player could have their own bipedal FREEDOM DELIVERY VEHICLE Image Image

Fuuuck, imagine a final boss showdown along the lines of Endless Duel, followed by an Apex Macho knife fight to the death atop the burning hulls. With maybe a few jetpack sniper zako to flashkick. Enemy HQ in flames for BG (final stage's intro panel - SKIPPABLE - our blue & red dudes rigging up C4 :cool:). Mayne. Image

I've never actually played either of their Power Rangers games, so my point of reference for beefed-up (but non-brawler) combat here is Mutant Apocalypse. Image
I also envisioned that a Natsume Thunder Fox title would implement a heavy use of serious catwalk flash kicking (and somersaulting to the ground). It's interesting that you mentioned the Power Rangers games, because Power Rangers : The Movie uses a foreground and background hopping mechanic, which I guess would be an example of Nastume having executed a mechanical concept ROUGHLY similar to what I think a Thunder Fox Again should be built around (though it wouldn't feel as momentum-less or gimmicky as Power Rangers : The Movie's plane hopping feels. That said, I still enjoy the game).

You have to watch out from above at all times, from below at all times, from left and from right. I'm not sure how well the use of vehicles would have been pulled off on the SFC, but, yeah, maybe there should be sections where your character pilots an updated hyper mobile Lionizer (cut from an Endless Duel cloth). Maybe the function of certain weapons from the previous title (grenades) could be replaced with an attack based on a meter similar to TNWA's blaster meter? The game should still have weapons that can be picked up, but maybe not as many as the original? Or maybe there should be more weapons? I think I'm getting a little carried away.
BIL

Post by BIL »

andsuchisdeath wrote:Maybe the function of certain weapons from the previous title (grenades) could be replaced with an attack based on a meter similar to TNWA's blaster meter? The game should still have weapons that can be picked up, but maybe not as many as the original? Or maybe there should be more weapons? I think I'm getting a little carried away.
This makes me think of ShatterBrain and its helper bots. Maybe a metered "assist time" drone (ala the enemy's ones from TFAC)? Could be fun busting him out to watch your back with 45' air cav, during especially hectic scenarios. Reasoning... uh... don't get hit, it'll screw up the GPS receiver, and he won't be able to zero in on your location! :mrgreen:

---

Crossposting the below from the current beater thread, because TAKEDA SHINGEN (out today on ACA) is, much like this year's ACA Ninja Kazan, far better than its unappetising stills might let on. :o

---

Only Kamiya-sama could make beating an enemy into the dirt, pissing in their face, then tearing them clean in half so curative. Enjoying Okami HD so much, I thought I'd take a blind punt at Takeda Shingen (that English title is so awkward, wonder if it was ever used BITD).

Good gravy, this game is fugly like a motherfucker. Drab colours and indistinct sprites are barely passable by the standards of Technos, Konami and Tecmo's contemporaries. Even Datsugoku owns it hard. Actually... of course it would, Datsu looks great even if it plays poorly. Shingen looks like an early HuCard. However, I find it less offputting than the similarly-homely Ninja Kazan - while that one suffers from clipart Injun/Aztec/Roman themes, only getting its shit together in the ninja-crazed finale, Shingen has a nicely assured Badass Samurai theme from the outset.

Loved the nod to Kagemusha (shadow warrior, effectively a royal body double) via the 2P mode, haha. The Kurosawa film of the same name is crackin'. Arrogant Son tries to destroy the timid-natured Kagemusha, putting a hard tactical question to him in front of the war council (pops be dead, news kept under wraps so the enemy won't be emboldened) - Kage's thunderous response owns junior so hard, the boy's nutsack shrivels up and he can barely squeak his assent, as his men look on in scorn before reaffirming their vow to "Shingen."

"DO NOT MOVE. A MOUNTAIN DOES NOT MOVE!" Christ. Nakadai Tatsuya (playing both Shingen/Kage) a beast. Where was I.

Oh yes, the game. Weirdly/pleasingly, this feels like Sengoku 0. Not as polished as the rather excellent Sengoku 2, or even the relatively tatty Sengoku 1, but it's got that touch-of-death katana zoning I enjoy. Grapples? Combos? Homie, I hate to break it to you, but you just took three feet of eighteen-folded tamahagane across your carotids - your bitch ass WA MOU SHINDEIRU :shock:

Uses Kunio left/right strikes, to boot. Hm! Can't recall seeing those outside of that landmark and DDIIAC/FC. As expected of late 80s Jaleco, it's not a knockout, but it's more than competent. This going on five minutes' play before my eyelids wouldn't cooperate, but I've no regrets. Image

---

EDIT: Ah sheeit Image Image This is actually really good. Much like Kazan, it may look amateurish, but the mechanics are addictively tight. I like it more than Sengoku 1 now, much more intuitive and Kunio-paced. (not as batshit crazy, but few other beltscrollers are)

Just like DD2AC, you have a "back attack" which doubles as a vital poke, and kinda outmodes the actual "front attack." Move away from the target while hitting the button, and instead of your short-ranged overhead chop, you'll get a rangy stab perfect for shutting out enemies mid-attack. Shingen is quick on his feet, even sans the Speedup, which brings out the quickest 80s beltscrolling I've seen to date. NKK/DD1/DD2 let you zip about, too - but where Technos are all about the setup, beating foes until they heave before the fatal finish, Shingen's lethal minimalism creates an entirely different effect.

Jumping works interestingly, with the move itself counted as an attack. A leap launched from optimal range can butcher multiple foes in its path. You can also stall your advance out of neutral, for a slight Divekick effect. More frequently, I use it as a quick escape/reset. Just like Kunio, you're fighting four/five enemies at a time in small spaces, here with the occasional pit or stairwell to fall down.

Aesthetically, as with Kazan, it's the goofy spritework and dissonant colour that lets it down. The atmosphere is superb, very much classic Kurosawa. Contemplatively spare, menacingly taiko-shaded BGM (I'm guessing Tsukasa Tawada's work, man is underrated!) and rustic scenes classily underscore the fray. A deceptively strong effort in the Warring States genre.

Appropriately, gunners provided the first real threat to an otherwise formidably well-equipped Shingen. The fuckers will shred you, attacked head-on. Had a good time figuring out their weakness - as if their dominating forward offense wasn't good enough, they also love to backstab (uh, backshot :oops:) you.

The Theme Of Backshot
Shoot You In The Back

Turn your back, let the cunts dart in and - remember that Back Attack? - *BLAOW* how you liek me now, don't fuck w/ mah style :cool: Trickier with a crowd onscreen, ofc! AH'M WORKIN ON IT Image