RQ: Gradius IV, Stage three

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
Carmen

RQ: Gradius IV, Stage three

Post by Carmen »

Its those damn bubbles I tell you!

I just bought the Gradius III & IV pack for the PS2 recently, and I've just started concentrating on Gradius IV (after playing GIII for almost TEN HOURS and getting NOWHERE, but thats another topic in and of itself). I've been able to get through the first two stages with little to no difficulty, but Stage three... my God! The bubbles move so eratically, and then the wonderful large chunks of ice smash themselves in the poor, poor V.Viper. I need advise, strategy, tips, the works! I can (a lot of the time) get as past the second checkpoint (its hard to explain, but there's two stationary platforms, the second one with turrets, and then the game goes insane. One of the biggest reasons I die is because a situation where the path becomes 'divided' (a bad ASCII map will explain this better), and there is a large, moving chunk of ice that blocks you in pretty much either way. It looks kinda like this...
--------------------------------------------

(bubbles)

---------------------------|
| (a large piece of ice)
|
--------------------------|

(bubbles)

---------------------------------------------

I seem to get trapped either way. But, in all, I have trouble during the entire level and need advise.

I did manage to get to the boss a few times, but each time I had died during the stage and was fighting off pretty much nothing (one speedup, maybe two, and occasionally missiles). And he killed me (though I last quite long, given the state; I guess he's not so tough)? I'm on level 5 difficulty, if that makes a differance.
Shocky

Post by Shocky »

- Fly mainly in the bottom of the screen
- Fly mainly near the right edge, so you can shoot at a rapid pace and take the bubbles out quicker
- Do not destroy the large bubbles unles they are red, completely block you or you have enough time to destroy the smaller bubbles too.
- In some stages that require accurate navigation, maybe this one too, it's better not to get any speed-ups after being destroyed, but just concentrate on avoiding enemies until you get to a clearer situation

Hope this helps..
Carmen

Post by Carmen »

I just picked this up again, and I'm better then I used to be! All that G.Darius/Raycrisis/Axelay playtime must be helping!

But regardless, its still tough. I'll try out your options, I try to avoid going to far to the right of the screen simply cos then I'm unaware of whats coming next. Any other suggestions, or weapon choices?

At least I can make it up to the boss most of the time now... :oops: Only to get killed in stage 4!
landshark

Post by landshark »

The bubble stage would be great if you didn't have to wait for them to divide after you shot them. Terrible design flaw.
Carmen

Post by Carmen »

Heh, I think I remember you writing something like that in another topic :P Personally, I just think KCET wanted to show thier nifty polygonal effects (all the while oblivious that Gaiden actually looks much better then IV!)

Anyway, I did a fantastic run last nite, in which I beat the bubbles, and then beat all of 4st.... including the lava part (which I had never even played before!) So the fact I beat the 4st. on my, like, fourth try at it EVER, compared to the fact it took me 10 hours to beat 3st. for the first time... yea, thats just :roll: It was refreshing to see some other scenery, for a change (that blue background in the bubble stage can get aggrivating.)
ThunderForce 222

Post by ThunderForce 222 »

I never thought this game got tough untill the high speed round. I never played it untill this june when the compilation came out for psp. I played normal for a bit then went to hard. I think Gradius V is HARD at extreme levels....
"AREA GUARD NAME, GUARDIANS KNIGHT--SUB-NAME--"FOR WHOM IS THE SWORD DRAWN?!"