Ikaruga [NEW]

A forum for saving and showing off all your hi scores
Capintec

Re: Ikaruga [NEW]

Post by Capintec »

Why is lpm missing in the scoreboard? Any reason or just a mistake? He is listed as #1 in the STG Hall of Records-topic, with 35,016,690 in normal.
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

He is not a member of this forum and the hall of records-topic tends to include other scores as well.
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube
Capintec

Post by Capintec »

Plasmo wrote:He is not a member of this forum and the hall of records-topic tends to include other scores as well.
Thank you. I know it is a bit Offtopic, but is this intended? Community-score sounds like shmups.system11-member-score to me. This score is from Ikaruga.co.uk and probably a western (?) record? But since this is not clear, should we suggest to replace lpm with the record form the Ikaruga-topic?
I do not intend to disrespect lpms score, but to give some motivation for competition, it would be great to list the members of this community.
But since i am not a long-time and aktiv member, I don´t feel like I should judge in this case.
NTSC-J

Post by NTSC-J »

This was brought up in the Hall of Records thread recently and everyone that chimed in felt like it would be a better idea to only include scores from our forum, so lpm's score will be removed soon.
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

Arcade Normal
M.Knight - 9,012,680 - 5 - GC PAL version

Arcade Hard
M.Knight - 2,009,790 - 2 - GC PAL version
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project
MJR

Post by MJR »

Just bought this for Nintendo Switch, will you accept score submissions from that format? I can also continue playing the DC version (in fact, I never submitted my old DC highscore here)
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Oh, interesting. Sorry for the late response.
I guess it depends on how this version differs from the others.
I'm doing a bit of searching now but can't find a reliable answer.
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
McSNES

Post by McSNES »

Is there any particular reason why normal is more popular for scoring than hard?
I'm not sure that the difficulty itself is the reason, so I'm curious why that might be.
ciox

Post by ciox »

It's a lot easier to deal with the suicide bullets when chaining, there are other changes that occur with difficulty but that's the biggest one. Most players will both survive and score better on Medium.

In fact I'm not even sure if there are scoring benefits when you're moving up from Medium to Hard, you would think so since there are benefits when you move up from Easy to Medium, but I'm not really sure it makes much of a difference.
McSNES

Post by McSNES »

ciox wrote:It's a lot easier to deal with the suicide bullets when chaining, there are other changes that occur with difficulty but that's the biggest one. Most players will both survive and score better on Medium.

In fact I'm not even sure if there are scoring benefits when you're moving up from Medium to Hard, you would think so since there are benefits when you move up from Easy to Medium, but I'm not really sure it makes much of a difference.
That's helpful. Thank you.
Xer Xian

Post by Xer Xian »

ciox wrote:In fact I'm not even sure if there are scoring benefits when you're moving up from Medium to Hard, you would think so since there are benefits when you move up from Easy to Medium, but I'm not really sure it makes much of a difference.
The Max Chain count you can get on Hard is lower than Normal in every stage but the fifth, where you can also absorb a lot more bullets from Tageri (since it fires off at double the speed with respect to Normal). You can get well over 6 million on Ch5 Hard, while you're stuck with about 5.9 million on Normal. Still, you miss many more points on the other stages, so you can score higher on Normal overall.

The same is true with regard to Easy vs. Normal mode (but in this case Ch5 is no exception, you can only score lower than Normal), although the reason for the lower score is different (on Hard you can't do some of the things you do on Normal, while on Easy some enemies just don't show up).

Hard mode is lots of fun - it adds a bit of randomization, which is a breath of fresh air - but it's hard :P and Tageri is pretty much impossible to survive without slowdowns..
McSNES

Post by McSNES »

Xer Xian wrote:
ciox wrote:In fact I'm not even sure if there are scoring benefits when you're moving up from Medium to Hard, you would think so since there are benefits when you move up from Easy to Medium, but I'm not really sure it makes much of a difference.
The Max Chain count you can get on Hard is lower than Normal in every stage but the fifth, where you can also absorb a lot more bullets from Tageri (since it fires off at double the speed with respect to Normal). You can get well over 6 million on Ch5 Hard, while you're stuck with about 5.9 million on Normal. Still, you miss many more points on the other stages, so you can score higher on Normal overall.

The same is true with regard to Easy vs. Normal mode (but in this case Ch5 is no exception, you can only score lower than Normal), although the reason for the lower score is different (on Hard you can't do some of the things you do on Normal, while on Easy some enemies just don't show up).

Hard mode is lots of fun - it adds a bit of randomization, which is a breath of fresh air - but it's hard :P and Tageri is pretty much impossible to survive without slowdowns..
Wow, this too. Thanks.
InFireX

Post by InFireX »

PC - Normal - InFireX - 20,944,970 - ALL - 105

Replay:
https://youtu.be/NFaIc9WuLtE
Xer Xian

Post by Xer Xian »

Congrats on the 1CC and 20+ million score!

A No-miss up to the Stone-Like is also a nice achievement. Some good manouevering and precise timing to be enjoyed from your run, along with a few nice basic strats that I'd never seen before (I particularly liked what you did in Ch3, especially 3-1 and the boss). Appreciated it!

Will you keep playing the game or you're satisfied with what you've got? :)
InFireX

Post by InFireX »

Thanks! Glad to hear you enjoyed my replay.

As for the question of yours, I'm done with this game. I initially had a scoring goal of at least 20 million, but I already got it, so I don't have any need to keep going. I'll probably return to the game in the future to either improve my existing score or give Hard mode a try. That may take a few years because I have plenty of shmups I'd like to work on for (scoring and 1cc's).
OmKol

Post by OmKol »

PC - Normal - OmKol - 11,871,840 - ALL

I didn't wanted to post this very old score because it's a lazy survival clear. But I don't know when I will improve it so let's just have more scores in this board
Juju Kenobi

Post by Juju Kenobi »

PC - Normal - Juju Kenobi - 24,631,640 - ALL - 119 chain

My first Ikaruga 1CC after 2 months of playing the game.
I'll keep doing some runs to get the 25m, then I'll work again on my routes.

Replay :
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/940641163
Xer Xian

Post by Xer Xian »

Hey well done on getting the 1CC :)

I enjoyed watching your run. Your routing is already pretty damn good and could be enough to break 30 million as it is. But I'm glad to hear you're planning to optimize if further - even if your bonus rows' routes on the first two stages are original and cool in their own way, you clearly have the ship control to implement more advanced strats on them. The other sections of the first two stages don't really need much work, they are quite solid already. Chapter 3 probably needs more work on consistency than anything else - I assume your Shigi was messed up because you got to it w/ a nearly empty bar? The rest of the chapter looked good, and you already kinda have the first black wave of the bonus enemies under your belt. The 'core' part of Chapter 4 was certainly one of the highlight of the run - you dabble with the outer enemies and I certainly wasn't expecting that :o niice. I kinda felt the 1CC pressure on the final chapter, especially after the snakes ^^ (btw, a tiny bit of optimization and you will get that white head down withour having to switch polarity..) But the stone only claimed one life and you snatched that 1CC and new PB. Niiice.

Looking forward to your 30mil then :wink:

Edit: uhoh nearly forgot! Maybe you already figured it out, but just in case - about the 2nd midboss on Ch4, the issue with the energy release is that you are positioned (a tiny bit) too low. I made a GIF about this - placement 1 is fine, the others are not (more on this on the shmups wiki page on the game)
Juju Kenobi

Post by Juju Kenobi »

Thank you ! And thanks again for watching the run.

As you already guessed, the main sections I want to improve in the first two stages are the bonus rows.
I would like to get 44c in 2-1 and better dot eating, especially in stage 2 during the box section and after as well.

My stage 3 and 4 routes are a little bit more challenging so I still struggle with consistency for now.
My Shigi strat is really safe (lazy?) so that death was just me being stupid. I switched color twice for no reason.
This is something I should improve, because with my current strat I can only get the first black wave of the bonus enemies and the beginning of the first white wave.
Pretty satisfied with my stage 4 route for now, I guess I'd like to get a few more chains on the flower and on the "Isuka ladder" to go above 7 million.

About the snakes, really sad about that. It's a fight I usually feel very confident about. Not killing the white head immediately is part of the plan. This way, I can absorb more energy before killing it, then deal more damage to the black head and have a very safe kill with 61s (sometimes 62s). But with the pressure of the 1CC, I panicked and didn't expect the 3rd "cloud" of black bullets.
I still struggle with the last form of Tageri so the time-out is still not an option but I would really like to be able to do that as well.

Many things to get better at :lol:
This game is really fun.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Updated, nice work guys
..wish I still cared about shmuppers.
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
Juju Kenobi

Post by Juju Kenobi »

PC - Normal - Juju Kenobi - 28,528,720 - ALL - 183 chain

Replay :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pbnp7atPUEI

Hopefully, the next update will be for 30m
Juju Kenobi

Post by Juju Kenobi »

Hello there :D

PC - Normal - Juju Kenobi - 30,105,860 - ALL - 187 chain

Replay:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWAmu29LMSU
Xer Xian

Post by Xer Xian »

Wow that's awesone Juju :o

It's been a while since someone posted a 30mil+ score around here, and you got there in a relatively short time too. Very impressive.

All your routing is now very solid throughout and mostly needs some work on consistency and execution. If, as you say, you keep playing the potential is there for you to get in the 32mil league and grab one of the top spots (incidentally, this is also what got Valgar and SnapDragon the 2nd and 3rd place on the old Gamecube net ranking contest back in 2003).

Of course, as you get nearer and nearer to your potential, the quest becomes more and more arduous and tiring.. a no-miss, no chain-break run starts to get elusive at your level. Should you really decide to go for the top spots you might benefit from a little buffer to allow for some mistakes - the place where you can still get some extra points with relatively low effort is the white wave on the ch3 bonus enemies. A full clear is difficult to get down consistently, but a 'well-done' partial clear is not exceedingly difficult and can net you a nice score boost.

.. just something to think about, maybe? Well, don't mind my ramblings and congrats again on your new PB, it's a very nice achievement as it is. And thanks for uploading your run, I enjoyed it :)
Juju Kenobi

Post by Juju Kenobi »

Thanks!

Currently, the goal I am aiming toward is 33m. Which is very close from my maximum potential with my current routing.
That's why, next week, I'll start improving stage 3 and 4.
I'd like to be able to score 7m+ and 7.5m+ in these stages respectively, and maybe start considering the milk on Tageri final form.
This way I could push my potential above 34m, and reach my goal with a very solid run (with 1 death and 1/2 chain breaks for example) instead of going for the elusive no-miss perfect chain run.

Also yeah, this run was pretty strange in the sense that no stage went right but not completely wrong either.
Earlier in the same evening I got a run entering stage 5 on 31.5m pace that went down in flame :lol:
pja

Post by pja »

Forgot to post my clear here, so I might as well:
- PC - Normal - pja - 12,278,310 - ALL - max chain 88

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Luqdj5fl0EY
Wes112

Post by Wes112 »

Might as well post my score from last year in here.

PC - Normal - Wes112 - 26,605,650 - All - ???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBJhOTf_cBk
Xer Xian

Post by Xer Xian »

Congrats for your scores guys!

Wes112 - the Max Chain in your run was 184 (stage 4). It was a very competent play, you clearly have spent quite some time on the game and it shows :)

A few odd notes:

https://youtu.be/iBJhOTf_cBk?t=731 - next time release as white here! That way you'll bypass the last phase and blueball the boss :lol:

https://youtu.be/iBJhOTf_cBk?t=631 - some weird laser behaviour here. In this section the lasers generally instant kill these enemies (e.g. see here) but in this case they display some of their complex shenanigans (left lasers killing off right enemies and vice versa; also targeting the same enemy and then redirecting to other ones)

https://youtu.be/iBJhOTf_cBk?t=945 - this is a rare instance of getting down one black and one white enemy on the same frame. The chain is preserved since, as we all know, Ikaruga is a merciful game. By the way, very nice reaction on this section - withholding fire at the utatsugumi (ball-shaped enemies, kinda resembling a yin-and-yang symbol) so as not to break your chain.

Why not learn some route for those pesky snakes on the last stage? They look menacing but can be tamed quite easily!

P.S: Blinge where art thou? The scoreboard needs an update!
MAZ

Post by MAZ »

Well, I guess the time has come to update some of my progress here

PC - Normal - MAZ - 31,545,410 - ALL - 185chain

Watch the run from min 53:00 at https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1198010666
"The stronger the will you have, the more you will face various trials"
Wes112

Post by Wes112 »

Xer Xian wrote:Congrats for your scores guys!

Wes112 - the Max Chain in your run was 184 (stage 4). It was a very competent play, you clearly have spent quite some time on the game and it shows :)

A few odd notes:

https://youtu.be/iBJhOTf_cBk?t=731 - next time release as white here! That way you'll bypass the last phase and blueball the boss :lol:

https://youtu.be/iBJhOTf_cBk?t=631 - some weird laser behaviour here. In this section the lasers generally instant kill these enemies (e.g. see here) but in this case they display some of their complex shenanigans (left lasers killing off right enemies and vice versa; also targeting the same enemy and then redirecting to other ones)

https://youtu.be/iBJhOTf_cBk?t=945 - this is a rare instance of getting down one black and one white enemy on the same frame. The chain is preserved since, as we all know, Ikaruga is a merciful game. By the way, very nice reaction on this section - withholding fire at the utatsugumi (ball-shaped enemies, kinda resembling a yin-and-yang symbol) so as not to break your chain.

Why not learn some route for those pesky snakes on the last stage? They look menacing but can be tamed quite easily!

P.S: Blinge where art thou? The scoreboard needs an update!

Thanks for the kind words and tips! I've been playing this game off and on since my gamecube days. It's "the one" that got me into shmups so I try to come back to it every once in a while (sometimes years in between admittedly). Those snakes have been the bane of my existence all these years haha. I'll definitely have to figure out something consistent for them (as well as the stone-like too). I'd love to hit the 30+ million mark like some of you highly skilled folks in here some day.
MAZ

Post by MAZ »

Got it a few days ago

Steam - AC Normal - MAZ - 32.475.900 - ALL - 142c

"The stronger the will you have, the more you will face various trials"