RQ: Blazing Star 2nd Stage - Bonus row factors

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
SamIAm

RQ: Blazing Star 2nd Stage - Bonus row factors

Post by SamIAm »

As many people who have spent much time playing this game or watching a super-play of it know, there is a special line of bonus items that can appear halfway through the 2nd stage of Blazing Star if certain requirements are fullfilled. However, it is not obvious what exactly those requirements are. It seems to involve destorying enemies in the first half of the stage as quicly as possible, but it is difficult to determine which enemies are crucial to this and which ones aren't. The only one I can be certain about is the second large tank-thingy, much must be destroyed immediately to get the bonus. Also, it looks like missing enemies can mess with your chances of getting the bonus, but again, it's not clear which enemies are important in this regard. For example, I always let the first tank survive so I can milk its bullets for bonuses, and I have gotten the bonus row in spite of this.

Does anyone know exactly what factors there are in getting this bonus row?

And while we're on the topic, feel free to discuss the other bonus row in stage 4. I am just starting to learn that stage as well, but I haven't even made it to the boss yet and haven't had the occasion to see whether or not I can get it.

For the record, I am using Aryustailm (sp?). A friend of mine has suggested that perhaps the factors involved in getting one or both of these rows change according to the ship used. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
jpj-

Post by jpj- »

hi sam,

i explain on another forum (my name is chris):

http://www.super-play.co.uk/forum/index ... 98.20.html
SamIAm

Post by SamIAm »

Cool, thanks dude. I have been getting more and more into this game over the last two weeks - high score is currently 11.6 million - and I'm taking it very seriously now. The vids on super-play.co.uk are a big help, and I'm basing much of my own technique off them, but there are still some things that are tough to deal with.
jpj-

Post by jpj- »

i know what you mean pal. i pretty much gave up after i reached 20 million. stage 6 is a motherfucker. but glad to see another blazing star fan :) i take it you're neo sam on the ng.com forum?
SamIAm

Post by SamIAm »

Actually, that must be somebody else. I am pretty much only SamIAm wherever I go.

I remember that the very first time I tried this game, I credit fed my way to the final boss. Maybe that's a dumb way to go about looking at a shmup, but I couldn't help myself. However, by the time I was maybe 1/3 of the way through stage 6, I was thinking to myself "this is just stupid, how could anyone play this mess?". But here I am, chipping away at the game every afternoon. We'll see how far I make it. It won't surprise you, I'm sure, to learn that parts of it are really frustrating the hell out of me. Luckily, I am on a foreign exchange right now, and the German fellow living next to me is a hardcore fan of this game, so it's easy to stay excited about it.
jpj-

Post by jpj- »

nice :)

i actually sold my original blazing star super-play vhs cassette on ebay about two weeks ago.

if you have any other questions, i'd be happy to help.

and goodluck with your progress :D
TVG

Post by TVG »

stage 4 column is about destroying the midboss (that big thing with giant lazers) as fast as possible. two columns should appear, not just one like in stage 2.

what i'm curious about is that i remember someone saying you can get a second column at the end of stage 2...
"In short, it comes down to spirit" - dodonpachi developper Kohyama.
opt2not

Re: RQ: Blazing Star 2nd Stage - Bonus row factors

Post by opt2not »

necro bump.
The above link is 404'd.

Could someone fill me in on triggering Stage 2's Bonus Row? I have no idea how to get them to spawn.
Mero

Re: RQ: Blazing Star 2nd Stage - Bonus row factors

Post by Mero »

There might be more to it but destroying everything really fast will get them to appear