R-Type Final2

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Ghegs

Re: R-Type Final2

Post by Ghegs »

To Far Away Times wrote:
Ghegs wrote:One-life clear achieved, on Normal, using R-13A2 Hades. The ship's so stupid strong it almost felt like cheating at times. A full, 3-loop charge shot killed 3.0 and 6.2 bosses in one hit. Even a 1-loop charge shot is enough to kill many larger enemies (like the flying tanks in 3.0) in one shot, and several of them at the same time. On the other hand, 4.0 boss still took a while because its vulnerable point starts out pointing the wrong way. I didn't really even use the Anchor Force as an anchor much at all, letting out a charge shot and following it up with the strong Red shot had better DPS.

I'm guessing backers will be getting DLC codes for the homage stages? Looking forward to trying those out, hopefully soon. Do those gives resources as well?

40 ships in.
Nice! I've yet to try out that ship. I've been trying to learn the game with the Leo 2, which seems like a very powerful ship in its own right. The charge shot power isn't quite as strong (I think it takes two full charges and a few extra shots to down the stage 3 boss) but it makes up for it elsewhere.
I just unlocked the first Leo myself. Definitely a very versatile ship, the homing bits don't give a damn about walls or anything, they allow for easy firing at the back without having to maneuver the Force around, the Red/Blue/Yellow weapons are all good, you still get a solid charge shot and the Force isn't useless when it's detached. Fun and easy to use too, I'm almost constantly charging the shot, so while the bits are out doing their thing, the next charge shot is almost ready by the time they arrive. I don't think there's any situation in the game that the Leos can't clear comfortably.

The only negative, such as it is, is that the ship's power and versatility are heavily reliant on the bits, and there are very few drops for those. If you die and there isn't a new bit coming within the next minute, you're stuck with a ship that's more or less a standard R-9A. At that point if you've learned the game while trusting the bits to keep you safe, you're gonna have a bad time.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
DenimDemon

Post by DenimDemon »

Icarus wrote:R-Typer 3 difficulty actually makes the game far more entertaining, and a lot closer to a true arcade difficulty.
Although it's still a lot easier than the actual arcade R-Types, given how many safespots there are during the various boss fights in the game.
Yeah i was watching your stream and that got mentioned. Cool to know!

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk
Glick

Post by Glick »

I really want to like this game, but the loading times after every death on the Switch are brutal. Maybe I'll give the PC version a shot.
Firehawke

Post by Firehawke »

slateman wrote:More than 17 years after toiling over the original R-Type Final Ship List, I've decided to start diving into the sequel. To preface...I suck, so this is going to take me *far longer* than you guys. However, everything I've listed here has been verified by me (relying heavily on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyhEfIxb3bI) and not just guesswork. Ultimately, the ship list looks to be 100% identical to the first Final.

Anyhow, until I move across the Atlantic next month, I'll try to update this as best as I can. Perhaps you'll find some of it useful.

https://slateman.net/rtype/rtypefinal2/masterlist/
It's really funny you say that. I've got your Final 1 list open in another tab and have been using it as a reference on what I want to unlock in what order. Thanks for your efforts in the past and thanks again for this update.
system11

Post by system11 »

Samildanach wrote:It's pretty galling that backers (like me) are STILL waiting for their download code with no communication from Granzella in sight. I'm slightly less bothered than many backers as I'll probably wait till the fully patched and dlc complete version is available before I get stuck in properly; but it would be nice to have a little dabble now, having paid for it 2 years ago!
Ok that answers my question, I was a backer and got the physical JP version and I've had nothing in the way of codes on their site or via email.
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

slateman wrote:More than 17 years after toiling over the original R-Type Final Ship List, I've decided to start diving into the sequel. To preface...I suck, so this is going to take me *far longer* than you guys. However, everything I've listed here has been verified by me (relying heavily on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyhEfIxb3bI) and not just guesswork. Ultimately, the ship list looks to be 100% identical to the first Final.

Anyhow, until I move across the Atlantic next month, I'll try to update this as best as I can. Perhaps you'll find some of it useful.

https://slateman.net/rtype/rtypefinal2/masterlist/
Missed this. You're a legend. Thank you.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

R-Typer 3 difficulty all-cleared. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yokm6coiYjk
Working on a no-miss, I think I have enough strats discovered and refined to do it. (Stage 5 boss is a pain in the ass though.)
Firehawke

Post by Firehawke »

While we're all talking about R-Type Final, did anyone ever put out an undub patch for Final 1? That ending track still irritates me 15+ years later.
BrainΦΠΦTemple

Post by BrainΦΠΦTemple »

Icarus wrote:R-Typer 3 difficulty all-cleared. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yokm6coiYjk
Working on a no-miss, I think I have enough strats discovered and refined to do it. (Stage 5 boss is a pain in the ass though.)
nice blAstin'. i saw your run live, and it was pretty rAd.

it's kind of disappointing people are already clEaring this on max difficulty though. would've thought after 17 years, we'd get something tHat would put up more of a fight. it definitely dOesn't make me as excited about the game anymore, but w/e
nO-miss superplAyz i \m/ash in shmupz + mOsh w/ ur mom
berlin schOol albums | sOundcloud
new albUm:Kristallgeist
"Here is a molding synthesis creator with a strong personality. It needs to be better known." --rockliquias.com's reviEw of "kristallgeist"
SPM

Post by SPM »

With stage select for practice and the option to change ships between levels, I wouldn't expect people not completing the game within few days (I know it's still easier than the classics though, which is a bummer giving the number of difficulties we got).

We can always play it with a less powerful ship and stick to it for a tougher challenge ;)
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
MJR

Post by MJR »

Kickstarter backers are currently breathing fire at the comments section of the kickstarter campaign, and I can't blame them. Game was released almost week ago and the download codes still have not been sent out. I haven't received mine, only way for me to play was to buy it. I'm R-type fanatic, so it's not a problem for me, but for many people that will surely feel like a betrayal. Disasters like this can be quite dispiriting for backers, lot of people will start to think that it's better to wait that the game is out and then buy it, rather than be left out in the launch as a thanks for supporting the project - which will, in turn, negate the whole idea of the kickstarter - which is to fund the game by preordering it.

I did send an inquiry to Granzella myself, and got this answer:
Thank you for your inquiry.
We sincerely apologize for the delay in issuing the digital reward voucher code.

We would appreciate it if you could wait a little longer until the voucher code is issued.

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.
Basically, copypaste message full of nothing which they probably send to all these angry people. Shame it had to go this way.

Anyway, I noticed a graphical difference between undocked Switch version vs. PC version / PS4 version; in PC and PS4 the fully charged ship emits light on it's front, which illuminates the nearest environment, and if you have force pod attached to it, you can see it casting shadows on the top of the illumination effect, which is pretty neat. But most of the time you won't notice it. And I haven't checked if the docked Switch plays that effect.
the androgyne

Post by the androgyne »

Icarus wrote:R-Typer 3 difficulty all-cleared. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yokm6coiYjk
I can’t believe I’m even considering giving you advice, but I had the most success on Stage 5 boss by detaching the standard force and just rapid firing. You have to pull it back and fire out again often, but it rips through the small enemies making what’s left no hassle to dodge. Actually the same technique worked to trivialise the entire level, a spread from the force on the correct side of screen blocks those annoying green.... melon things. Admittedly this was just on Normal so your mileage may vary!
Firehawke

Post by Firehawke »

If you're going for detached damage, the RX-10 or TX-1 at full power is quite possibly the strongest non-charge shot in the game. I've seen bosses go down before they can even start to use attacks.
SPM

Post by SPM »

"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
Axelay

Post by Axelay »

Got the same copy and paste message for my digital version from granzella.

Still no game :(

I am so pissed sigh time to make a moany comment on the kickstarter page

Got to stage 4 on delta and got taken out by the blue robots that follow you on the stage.

Need to survive with my force bit
Arms installation complete Good luck
DenimDemon

Post by DenimDemon »

Yeah i can't recommend Switch's version to anyone at this point... Its a huge letdown. Its fine portable but its a visual mess Docked. Not just the performance but the visual clarity as well. While even on ps4 the game is nothing spectacular visually, at least you get a clean picture. Switch version is full of artifacts and quiet noticeable dynamic resolution. I could take the somewhat long loadings, even slowdowns if the picture was at least clean. Not the case. Guess ill play around in handheld but will focus on Ps4.

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

DenimDemon wrote:Yeah i can't recommend Switch's version to anyone at this point... Its a huge letdown.
I really can't agree with that. Other than the short stutter in 7.1 and a single crash in the same stage, I've found it to play smoothly and I've never had an issue with visual clarity either. I've played it only Docked. Is it the best version? No. Is it a letdown and unplayable? Also no, in my opinion. Sure, it's technically speaking the worst version simply because Switch is the weakest system of the bunch, but I'd say it's still perfectly serviceable.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
slateman

Post by slateman »

I'm having major issues on the PS4 version (playing on PS5). I get black bullets, outrageously-bright bullets when my force is separated from me and other serious contrast issues. They get resolved after a reboot it seems, but other times appear in the middle of a run. The first boss, for instance, as he issues forth fireballs from the top and bottom - the smoke/acid/whatever that shoots them is rendered completely black. I can't see the fireballs until they're almost on top of me.

I have played every R-Type and given this history, I was particularly excited about this release. But it certainly has that incomplete/early feel to it (I know... BC it is!)

I couldn't beat level 3 yesterday but today powered through 4, 5, 6.2 and 7.2. Having the right ship (R-9A4 - Wave Master) and watching Icarus's level 6.2 boss tactic (Thanks!) certainly helped.

Flawed? Oh yeh... Did anyone think it wouldn't be? Honestly? But damn, I'm so thrilled to be playing a new R-Type in 2021. That's just awesome. Worth the €50 without question.

(updated the ship list btw... Thanks for the kind words folks!)
VanillaLucia

Post by VanillaLucia »

I do not know of what others would say in response to what the direction and the goal is for R-Type Final 2 but I do feel that if they are very serious about supporting it post-launch and intending to keep the game around for the next two years with updates and the likes especially to fit in with the times (R-Type Final was made to be a swansong and R-Type Final 2 has come out as a result of a realization that there "still" is a scene for shoot'em ups as well as there being an outlet for players to present their individuality) I really am curious to see the direction this game takes.

The mention of additional stages beyond downloadable content sounds relatively promising to me as well as the addition of additional features but my fear is of how far this game will take the trend with other Japanese developers having plunged really hard on this to cut content (not shoot'em ups, but I can mention games like Tekken 7 that stripped away features from past games because it decided to focus solely on online content). I feel that that it would not be too farfetched in the future to anticipate more tributes or even new games/entries in the future as a result which is definitely a hopeful outlook from me for being someone who was never quite good at these games but grew up with them.

That being said, I don't quite know how it would be but a dog-fighting R-Type spin-off sounds like it could be fun even as a mini-game to replace the AI Competition battles that R-Type Final had for something silly.
Austin

Post by Austin »

MJR wrote:Kickstarter backers are currently breathing fire at the comments section of the kickstarter campaign, and I can't blame them. Game was released almost week ago and the download codes still have not been sent out. I haven't received mine, only way for me to play was to buy it. I'm R-type fanatic, so it's not a problem for me, but for many people that will surely feel like a betrayal. Disasters like this can be quite dispiriting for backers, lot of people will start to think that it's better to wait that the game is out and then buy it, rather than be left out in the launch as a thanks for supporting the project - which will, in turn, negate the whole idea of the kickstarter - which is to fund the game by preordering it.
Yeah, honestly, it's irritating me quite a bit. Kickstarter backers are the reason this thing exists, and it's highly disappointing that they are getting the shaft right now.
MachineAres 1CC

Post by MachineAres 1CC »

slateman wrote:I'm having major issues on the PS4 version (playing on PS5). I get black bullets, outrageously-bright bullets when my force is separated from me and other serious contrast issues. They get resolved after a reboot it seems, but other times appear in the middle of a run. The first boss, for instance, as he issues forth fireballs from the top and bottom - the smoke/acid/whatever that shoots them is rendered completely black. I can't see the fireballs until they're almost on top of me.
That's really sad to hear PS5 struggling with playing the game. It's a shame they didn't optimize it for PS5 like they did for Series X, cause it runs almost flawlessly on there, even at 4K 60/120. Those kinds of issues usually come from GPU problems, and I've heard some other people saying they saw similar things with PS5s before and actually had to replace the console with Sony cause it was happening in multiple games. Have you seen those issues with any other games yet?
Austin wrote:
MJR wrote:Kickstarter backers are currently breathing fire at the comments section of the kickstarter campaign, and I can't blame them. Game was released almost week ago and the download codes still have not been sent out. I haven't received mine, only way for me to play was to buy it. I'm R-type fanatic, so it's not a problem for me, but for many people that will surely feel like a betrayal. Disasters like this can be quite dispiriting for backers, lot of people will start to think that it's better to wait that the game is out and then buy it, rather than be left out in the launch as a thanks for supporting the project - which will, in turn, negate the whole idea of the kickstarter - which is to fund the game by preordering it.
Yeah, honestly, it's irritating me quite a bit. Kickstarter backers are the reason this thing exists, and it's highly disappointing that they are getting the shaft right now.
Crowdfunding has been found to be largely a scam, unfortunately. A good amount of these game projects that have come from this method of funding have been found to already have plenty of financial backing by a studio or publisher before the crowd campaign was launched, so it's kinda just become a tricky way of getting a lot of preorders, and preorders at 2-10x the actual value of the game. Plenty of these games and projects ended and were never actually fulfilled and never refunded either (see Zoe Quinn, for one) due to a bunch of legality loopholes.

If you read the fine print of anything on crowdfunding sites, in a nutshell it basically says "the owners of this campaign owe you nothing and this does not mean you are a developer of the game or involved in the production in any way, and we only guarantee that you'll eventually get your rewards, nothing else, and dates are subject to change." Essentially just doing everything they can to avoid liability and tell people that these campaigns are just you "donating" your money to the developers like a charity
JUST A COUPLE MORE SHOTS です
Achievements/trophies|1CC List
Twitch|Genesis Shmups project
XBL & PSN: IDOLxISxDEAD
slateman

Post by slateman »

MachineAres 1CC wrote: That's really sad to hear PS5 struggling with playing the game. It's a shame they didn't optimize it for PS5 like they did for Series X, cause it runs almost flawlessly on there, even at 4K 60/120. Those kinds of issues usually come from GPU problems, and I've heard some other people saying they saw similar things with PS5s before and actually had to replace the console with Sony cause it was happening in multiple games. Have you seen those issues with any other games yet?
I don't see it as the PS5 struggling - I feel it's just not optimized at all. I think the issue begins if I go to the dashboard and then return to the game. It's playable but there are severe visual issues. I haven't had any issues with other games on my PS5 - both PS4 and PS5 titles.
MJR

Post by MJR »

slateman wrote: Flawed? Oh yeh... Did anyone think it wouldn't be? Honestly? But damn, I'm so thrilled to be playing a new R-Type in 2021. That's just awesome. Worth the €50 without question.
I'm with you 100% here. To have new R-type game at this day that actually has solid playability, instead of being some half-assed joke is a true bliss. It's also nice to see you working on the ship list again, I remember how I went to look at your site back in the day when R-Type Final was out. It's kinda crazy to think that it came out when shmups forum was still at it's previous form on Malc's page.

For that alone, I am willing to forgive that atrocious Stage 3.0 art style (it still plays better and faster than R-type Final's corresponding battleship stage) and various other hiccups, even the delay of my kickstarter code. But I DO hope that -if anyone from Granzella is hired to read this- that the dev team would bother to rework the Stage 3.0 graphics into something more coherent, whatever it is that they tried to convey with it, if they are going to keep updating this. I would have that before new stages are implemented. If my opinion is of any value, that is.

I guess that the cross-platform leaderboards are not implemented in the game yet, as Kuzo seemed to mention that on the interview few times that they were intended to be some kind of selling point in this game.
Sly Cherry Chunks

Post by Sly Cherry Chunks »

Thanks for this.

Yes, this game is unfinished. I played for a few hours on PS4 before patching, here are some odd things I noticed:

- Charge sound effect was annoyingly out of synch with the actual beam gauge.

- Force field gfx weren't displaying properly at the end of some levels (still seen in some streams)

- Ladylove's heart decals were missing.

- Most annoyingly, dose was resetting to 0% after death!

There are still some things I think the game needs: Some visual feedback when you grind the force against stuff. In the previous two games there were always some sparks or rebound gfx to show when the force was damaging something. We also need a nice big screen flash when you max dose out. Standard Force's yellow laser is now rendered as a rather nice looking flame but Standard Force DX still fires the blurry yellow blobs from the previous game. There is no doubt that stage three is unfinished. It just looks like trash, thanks god for course edit. Also, as mentioned by Machineares, I'd like the ability to jam on the speed button to be restored.

Standard Force H (Wiseman and those guys) seems much more powerful than in the last game. Either that, or the Arrowhead is deliberately underpowered (I think I'm okay with this). Strider seems to have been beefed up quite a bit and is now quite fun to play. The wall shot now drifts forwards usefully, whereas before it would appear in front of your ship for a few seconds and then dissolve. And of course theres the balmung prototype.
Spoiler
Looks like the R-99 and Bydo ships are in the game now
The biggest unanswered question is where is the money? [1CCS]
MJR

Post by MJR »

Tried again on Switch docking mode. I noticed that the Force pod won't cast any shadows on environment here either, and on bigger screen I could notice that the screen space reflections were absent on certain materials. But those were not big issues. I also noticed slight slowing down/stuttering which I did not notice when playing on handheld.

In short, it plays quite fine on Switch handheld mode, and is great version if you want one to carry with you. But if you prefer to play on tv/monitor, then there are probably bit better choices.
DJ Incompetent

Post by DJ Incompetent »

Astro City II wrote:DLC Set 1: Includes 2 new stages LINK
DLC Set 2: ??
DLC Set 3: ??
Anybody with the DLC, can you confirm what exactly you have access to?
Becaaause I am in stage 3X, like, the third homage course stage I now see I'm totally not supposed to have access to. It is the R-Type Delta Stage 1 tribute. It is so totally unfinished and a broken mess and that is clearly not the stage 3 everybody is complaining about, so I can't tell if I have something y'all don't? All the stage city background is untextured white rectangles. The midboss and worm are the only "completed/textured/colored" new enemies. The collision detection on the mecha and end boss don't work. The boss attacks are working, but my player ship and the boss can't hit each other. The boss timeout is like, 20 minutes, and then the game softlocks/freezes. This stage 3 is worst stage 3.

Does your DLC actually end after the stage 2X and return you to the game menu or whatever?

I'm using the Switch US version digitally purchased DLC bundle of the game.
Samildanach

Post by Samildanach »

DJ Incompetent wrote:
Astro City II wrote:DLC Set 1: Includes 2 new stages LINK
DLC Set 2: ??
DLC Set 3: ??
Anybody with the DLC, can you confirm what exactly you have access to?
Becaaause I am in stage 3X, like, the third homage course stage I now see I'm totally not supposed to have access to. It is the R-Type Delta Stage 1 tribute. It is so totally unfinished and a broken mess and that is clearly not the stage 3 everybody is complaining about, so I can't tell if I have something y'all don't? All the stage city background is untextured white rectangles. The midboss and worm are the only "completed/textured/colored" new enemies. The collision detection on the mecha and end boss don't work. The boss attacks are working, but my player ship and the boss can't hit each other. The boss timeout is like, 20 minutes, and then the game softlocks/freezes. This stage 3 is worst stage 3.

Does your DLC actually end after the stage 2X and return you to the game menu or whatever?

Oh dear, they really haven't done a good job around this release. I wish I could check for you, but I'm still waiting for my backers code and physical.
MachineAres 1CC

Post by MachineAres 1CC »

DJ Incompetent wrote:Anybody with the DLC, can you confirm what exactly you have access to?

Holy shit, that's fucked up. Only the first 2 stages are supposed to be available right now for DLC. I don't even know how they would have uploaded the data of the unfinished stages to the Nintendo servers, that's just...unheard of honestly. I have it on Xbox and only those two stages are available now (Leo and III)
JUST A COUPLE MORE SHOTS です
Achievements/trophies|1CC List
Twitch|Genesis Shmups project
XBL & PSN: IDOLxISxDEAD
IDruggedShamu

Post by IDruggedShamu »

MachineAres 1CC wrote:That's really sad to hear PS5 struggling with playing the game. It's a shame they didn't optimize it for PS5 like they did for Series X, cause it runs almost flawlessly on there, even at 4K 60/120.
What black magic fuckery did you do to enable 120fps for this game on XSX?
Sly Cherry Chunks

Post by Sly Cherry Chunks »

The biggest unanswered question is where is the money? [1CCS]