R-Type Final2

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Jeneki

Re: R-Type Final2

Post by Jeneki »

Mortificator wrote: Killing Bydo gets everyone hot.
R-Type 1 only gave us a hug, lol.
(R-Type Complete, PC-Engine)
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Yeah and all it cost was the second loop Image Image "R-TYPE COMPLETE" MY FUCKIN ASS (■`W´■)

EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Man, Irem during the PC Engine days made some pretty fuggin' FUGLY looking humans. How could the two gals from Gun Hohki end up looking so cute n' cartoony (or goofy Tonma or Gen, for that matter) while R-Type and Image Fight were saddled with these doujin rejects?

Pace to the lackluster R-Type Complete, because at least it isn't the horrendous shit-show that is Image Fight 2's cutscenes, going for that vintage "westerner tries drawing mango for the first time" look.
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

Friendship ended with the TX-Eclipse.
My new best friend is the R-Leo 2.

Seriously, that ship rocks. 3 great shot types (blue especially), and the charge shot sends the bits out like a homing projectile. You also get 2 bits when you pick up one bit powerup. Its like playing R-Type Leo if you also had a force pod in front on you the whole time.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

To Far Away Times wrote:Friendship ended with the TX-Eclipse.

Seriously, that ship rocks. 3 great shot types (blue especially), and the charge shot sends the bits out like a homing projectile. You also get 2 bits when you pick up one bit powerup. Its like playing R-Type Leo if you also had a force pod in front on you the whole time.
What numbers are the Leo ships in the museum?
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
To Far Away Times

Jonpachi wrote:
To Far Away Times wrote:Friendship ended with the TX-Eclipse.

What numbers are the Leo ships in the museum?
I don't have the game in front of me at the moment, but I think its the same as Final 1, which was 16 and 17.

I've been using this link and it seems like eveything is the same so far: https://slateman.net/rtype/rtypefinal/masterlist/
slateman

Post by slateman »

To Far Away Times wrote:Can we talk about that checkpoint in stage three? So brutal.
Pretty sure some have already discussed it. However, I'm an average gamer at best (despite being an R-Type fan for over 30 yrs) and that checkpoint simply ruins the game for me. I can only assume it's where you're given a missile upgrade force orb and it ramps things up real quick!

I'm stuck...so I'm just going to drop the difficulty down before I just abandon all hope because of that one checkpoint.
Wilsoncqb1911

Post by Wilsoncqb1911 »

Got the 1CC on the good ending path on normal. Very excited about that. It's not a super hard game but a small mistake basically kills runs since it can be difficult to recover. It was almost no miss but I dont know the last level as well as the earlier levels.
Firehawke

Post by Firehawke »

The Museum layout is identical to Final 1 as far as I've gotten, but the unlock requirements are obviously different and there are definitely some prereqs for a number of craft. Getting "Cross the Rubicon" was a massive pain in the ass.

I've managed to clear up to the R-9∅ so when that gets patched in later I should be able to unlock it immediately. Also picked up the R-13A, which is why I went down the Rubicon path.

It does seem like 7-2 is the best way to farm Etherium.
system11

Post by system11 »

I've been farming Etherium using stage 3 on hardest difficulty, it pays just over 100 and it's very easy to route and reliably run with the Wave Master and ships with the same force type. Pro-tip the section with the asshole tanks before you exit the ship dock you want that force floating behind you, same with the rear part of the battleship. Turns it into a short reliable earner for someone like me who struggles really badly on stages like 6-1.
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org
MachineAres 1CC

Post by MachineAres 1CC »

system11 wrote:I've been farming Etherium using stage 3 on hardest difficulty, it pays just over 100 and it's very easy to route and reliably run with the Wave Master and ships with the same force type. Pro-tip the section with the asshole tanks before you exit the ship dock you want that force floating behind you, same with the rear part of the battleship. Turns it into a short reliable earner for someone like me who struggles really badly on stages like 6-1.
6.1 and 6.2 also give 120 and 100 Etherium respectively, even on the easiest difficulty, and both of them are pretty short stages, even if 6.1. is fucking annoying on any difficulty.
JUST A COUPLE MORE SHOTS です
Achievements/trophies|1CC List
Twitch|Genesis Shmups project
XBL & PSN: IDOLxISxDEAD
To Far Away Times

system11 wrote:I've been farming Etherium using stage 3 on hardest difficulty, it pays just over 100 and it's very easy to route and reliably run with the Wave Master and ships with the same force type. Pro-tip the section with the asshole tanks before you exit the ship dock you want that force floating behind you, same with the rear part of the battleship. Turns it into a short reliable earner for someone like me who struggles really badly on stages like 6-1.
Good stuff. I will check that out. I swear stage 3 is harder for me than stage 4 or 5. Maybe even some of the stages after that depending on what route you choose.
lilmanjs

Post by lilmanjs »

Sorry if this has been asked before but the GOG listing for the deluxe edition mentions a Stage Pass that's coming soon to the game. Has there ever been any info on what exactly this is? Is this one of those dumbass season pass things that you have to pay for extra content to get the complete experience?
VanillaLucia

Post by VanillaLucia »

lilmanjs wrote:Sorry if this has been asked before but the GOG listing for the deluxe edition mentions a Stage Pass that's coming soon to the game. Has there ever been any info on what exactly this is? Is this one of those dumbass season pass things that you have to pay for extra content to get the complete experience?
The Deluxe Edition comes with the Stage Pass that is slated to have three parts. The first part is already available and playable as you can select the "Homage Stages" course instead of the normal R-Type Final 2 course. I already have posted a video of myself playing through it on Practice earlier but I can also show you the official trailer video Granzella put up (1:18 of the fifth trailer).

Essentially, it is recreations of past stages from the older games with right now only two of the stages available and more to be available soon. The Stage Pass already gives you all of them when they are available otherwise you have to buy each pack separately.
To Far Away Times

lilmanjs wrote:Sorry if this has been asked before but the GOG listing for the deluxe edition mentions a Stage Pass that's coming soon to the game. Has there ever been any info on what exactly this is? Is this one of those dumbass season pass things that you have to pay for extra content to get the complete experience?
There's definitely a lot of content in the base package. More than most shmups, to be sure. The DLC levels are remakes of stages from prior R-Type games, but I believe these are outside the main campaign(s).

---

I was messing around with the score attack mode and its a really nice way to practice. I got 7.2 and 3.0 memorized tonight. That just leaves the stages in the middle. Stage 5 is easy, Stage 6.2 had one trouble spot in the beginning but was otherwise a pushover. I still have a few rough spots in stage 4. But I'll clean those up and this is looking pretty doable as a 1CC.
Firehawke

Post by Firehawke »

The last two passwords have been datamined. You can't get to their entries yet so there's not much point to posting them here right now.

I'm wondering if we're going to see more than 101.
MJR

Post by MJR »

Granzella just revealed passwords for Ladylove and Strider on kickstarter backers email list. But I had already activated them due to the shenanigans in this thread :mrgreen:

Switch version also arrived, but I havent had chance to test it yet, 2,5GB patch right away?!? Why do they even bother distributing it on game card? :shock:
Marc

Post by Marc »

Mine landed yesterday. Unfortunately it's a birthday present, so I can't touch until July...... :cry:
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
MJR

Post by MJR »

Marc wrote:Mine landed yesterday. Unfortunately it's a birthday present, so I can't touch until July...... :cry:
But you'll have just about enough time to download and install the patch! Lucky you! :mrgreen:
slateman

Post by slateman »

More than 17 years after toiling over the original R-Type Final Ship List, I've decided to start diving into the sequel. To preface...I suck, so this is going to take me *far longer* than you guys. However, everything I've listed here has been verified by me (relying heavily on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyhEfIxb3bI) and not just guesswork. Ultimately, the ship list looks to be 100% identical to the first Final.

Anyhow, until I move across the Atlantic next month, I'll try to update this as best as I can. Perhaps you'll find some of it useful.

https://slateman.net/rtype/rtypefinal2/masterlist/
MachineAres 1CC

MJR wrote:Switch version also arrived, but I havent had chance to test it yet, 2,5GB patch right away?!? Why do they even bother distributing it on game card? :shock:
This really just poses the ever-relevant question of why does any physical media exist for games anymore when this is the case with about 75% of the games that come out on physical formats anymore!
SPM

Post by SPM »

Yeah... I usually only buy physical if it's cheaper or I plan to resell it.

With few exceptions that I want to have on my shelf! (usually complete editions with every patch and DLC included, but not always)
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Because at least it's something. Someday the online storefront will be taken down, and the games and their patches will disappear. The physical copies will still work, and though they may be the least optimal versions of the game (sans all patches in the worst case scenario) they will still serve as a means to play the game.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

One-life clear achieved, on Normal, using R-13A2 Hades. The ship's so stupid strong it almost felt like cheating at times. A full, 3-loop charge shot killed 3.0 and 6.2 bosses in one hit. Even a 1-loop charge shot is enough to kill many larger enemies (like the flying tanks in 3.0) in one shot, and several of them at the same time. On the other hand, 4.0 boss still took a while because its vulnerable point starts out pointing the wrong way. I didn't really even use the Anchor Force as an anchor much at all, letting out a charge shot and following it up with the strong Red shot had better DPS.

I'm guessing backers will be getting DLC codes for the homage stages? Looking forward to trying those out, hopefully soon. Do those gives resources as well?

40 ships in.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
MachineAres 1CC

Jonpachi wrote:Because at least it's something. Someday the online storefront will be taken down, and the games and their patches will disappear. The physical copies will still work, and though they may be the least optimal versions of the game (sans all patches in the worst case scenario) they will still serve as a means to play the game.
The same argument keeps coming up more lately due to Sony shutting down their stores lately, and the answer always is and always will be (as long as game companies keep not giving a fuck) PIRACY. You can preserve anything you want, and with no cost, whether you bought it originally or not.
To Far Away Times

Ghegs wrote:One-life clear achieved, on Normal, using R-13A2 Hades. The ship's so stupid strong it almost felt like cheating at times. A full, 3-loop charge shot killed 3.0 and 6.2 bosses in one hit. Even a 1-loop charge shot is enough to kill many larger enemies (like the flying tanks in 3.0) in one shot, and several of them at the same time. On the other hand, 4.0 boss still took a while because its vulnerable point starts out pointing the wrong way. I didn't really even use the Anchor Force as an anchor much at all, letting out a charge shot and following it up with the strong Red shot had better DPS.

I'm guessing backers will be getting DLC codes for the homage stages? Looking forward to trying those out, hopefully soon. Do those gives resources as well?

40 ships in.
Nice! I've yet to try out that ship. I've been trying to learn the game with the Leo 2, which seems like a very powerful ship in its own right. The charge shot power isn't quite as strong (I think it takes two full charges and a few extra shots to down the stage 3 boss) but it makes up for it elsewhere.
Samildanach

Post by Samildanach »

It's pretty galling that backers (like me) are STILL waiting for their download code with no communication from Granzella in sight. I'm slightly less bothered than many backers as I'll probably wait till the fully patched and dlc complete version is available before I get stuck in properly; but it would be nice to have a little dabble now, having paid for it 2 years ago!
Sly Cherry Chunks

Post by Sly Cherry Chunks »

Same. I bought a physical copy for funsies, it's likely to be delivered before I get my code.

EDIT: It was!
Last edited by Sly Cherry Chunks on Tue May 04, 2021 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The biggest unanswered question is where is the money? [1CCS]
To Far Away Times

Considering how many kickstarters have gone up in flames I'm surprised Final 2 turned out as good as it did. Though there's certainly better R-Type games I'd say this one is successful in what it sets out to do and is quite fun. Its a great redemption story for some of the more unique concepts in Final 1 that deserved another chance. That being said I feel bad that Granzella dropped the ball for backers at the very end, since everything else about the kickstarter campaign was executed pretty well, and I think they ought to give you some DLC or something for the delays.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

R-Typer 3 difficulty actually makes the game far more entertaining, and a lot closer to a true arcade difficulty.
Although it's still a lot easier than the actual arcade R-Types, given how many safespots there are during the various boss fights in the game.