GBS 8200/8220 CFW Project

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Guile

Re: GBS 8200/8220 CFW Project

Post by Guile »

Maybe I had a loose connector or something but I hooked the gbsc to a different power strip and different scaler and the noise was worse than ever. So I put it back how it was and rechecked the connectors on the esp8266 and now the output is very good, only very slight shimmering but no noise.

I also found a blog about downscaling dreamcast that said the gbsc needs RGBS instead of RGBHV so I tried that with an rgb interface and it output a very nice stable 240p.
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

Guile wrote:Maybe I had a loose connector or something but I hooked the gbsc to a different power strip and different scaler and the noise was worse than ever. So I put it back how it was and rechecked the connectors on the esp8266 and now the output is very good, only very slight shimmering but no noise.

I also found a blog about downscaling dreamcast that said the gbsc needs RGBS instead of RGBHV so I tried that with an rgb interface and it output a very nice stable 240p.
Yes, the gbsc does not handle rgbhv well for downscaling. But any proper 4:3 480p source via ypbpr or rgbs is quite nice @ gbsc 240p. :)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Guile

Post by Guile »

NoAffinity wrote: Yes, the gbsc does not handle rgbhv well for downscaling. But any proper 4:3 480p source via ypbpr or rgbs is quite nice @ gbsc 240p. :)
Do you ever get an issue with the colors going way off like they're inverted when a game switches between 240p and 480i when downscaling? This happens for me in PS2 and Wii emulators. In the Wii emulators the menus are 480i but the game can be 240p. When I go to the menu the colors get messed up.

It can be fixed by toggling to 480p and back to 15kHz or tapping 15kHz a few times but that's obviously pretty inconvenient.
hittheweights93

Post by hittheweights93 »

Has anyone else had any issues with running a PlayStation 1 via SCART w/ csync into their GBS? Plugged in directly on my Sony Bravia the image comes through just fine, however into the GBS the image is rolling/tearing and is completely unusable. It's the same case with my iiyama monitor.
3style

Post by 3style »

Hi,

I'm using the GBS8200 for a while now for descaling 480p to 240p on my Sony BVM for consoles such as the Sega Dreamcast (scart in) and the Xbox 360 (component in) and this works pretty good.
I'm currently only facing issues when downscaling HDMI video output from a PS4 slim.
Somehow I can't get a decent signal, the whole picture is very unstable and the image is not visible at all.

This is my setup:

PS4 Slim (set to 480p) > HDMI to component adapter > component in GBS8200 > VGA out GBS control > UMSA VGA to Scart > Scart break-out to BNC Sony BVM

This same setup works perfectly when I use the Xbox 360 with HDMI out and set to 480p.
Any ideas what is going wrong here? I also tested the gbs vga output directly to the Sony BVM with a VGA to BNC, but it has the same result.
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

Does the HDMI to component have an external power supply? It works with the Portta HDMI to VGA, but the Portta needs its external PSU (and you almost surely need to combine sync for RGBHV -> RGBS).

PS3/4 all require HDMI to VGAs with external PSUs, so if your HDMI to component is powered by the HDMI cable that is your issue. If not, then I’m sure someone here has a confirmed working unit they can suggest!
3style

Post by 3style »

kitty666cats wrote:Does the HDMI to component have an external power supply? It works with the Portta HDMI to VGA, but the Portta needs its external PSU (and you almost surely need to combine sync for RGBHV -> RGBS).

PS3/4 all require HDMI to VGAs with external PSUs, so if your HDMI to component is powered by the HDMI cable that is your issue. If not, then I’m sure someone here has a confirmed working unit they can suggest!
Yes, the HDMI to component is powered. I'm using a Portta HDMI to component.
Strangely this setup works perfectly with a Xbox 360 and HDMI out. So why is the PS4 slim different.
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

3style wrote:
kitty666cats wrote:Does the HDMI to component have an external power supply? It works with the Portta HDMI to VGA, but the Portta needs its external PSU (and you almost surely need to combine sync for RGBHV -> RGBS).

Strangely this setup works perfectly with a Xbox 360 and HDMI out. So why is the PS4 slim different.
That’s odd; I have a OG PS4 so I am unsure of any compatibility differences there may or may not be :[
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

I couldnt help myself and set up a definitive image processing latency test for my GBS-C. The results, at least to me, are astonishing. They far surpass the already impressive numbers that Ive read concerning this device.

Test Setup:
Genesis Model 2
Mega Everdrive Pro running 240p Test Suite
Official Sega Genesis Model 2 A/V RCA Cable
RCA Y Splitter
Generic Component Cable (feeding composite video from Y splitter to Y / Green Component Input on GBS)
Compaq FS-7600 17" VGA CRT Monitor
Symphonic (Funai) Consumer 20" FD CRT Television
GBS Control w/ Clockgen Mod
Canon SL1, 1600 ISO light sensitivity, 125 Hz shutter speed

Results: Consistently 10 scanlines of lag on the Compaq VGA CRT via GBS-C RGBHV out @ 480p60 w/ scanlines vs composite in on the Symphonic TV. If you look at the full size photos, its possible to count how many scanlines the leading edge of the scan on the 20' SDTV is past the leading edge of the scan on the VGA monitor. This is how I got the number 10.

I had previously seen Bodnar tests showing approximately 4 ms of lag, but this is much faster. At 60Hz, a single 15KHz frame consisting of 240 scanned lines is scanned in 16.67ms.

10/240= .0416
16.67ms/frame*.0416 frames= .693ms or .042 frames of added lag.

So, rounding the numbers, we can say 0.7ms or 1/24 of a frame of lag. Pretty incredible. Anyone have any objections about how this test was run or any reasons as to why these results wouldnt be accurate?
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Last edited by Josh128 on Mon May 03, 2021 5:19 pm, edited 6 times in total.
RoboArmy

Post by RoboArmy »

I finally got to a point where I'm happy with the GBS and my capture device.

Not too bad aside from me forgetting how to play Parasite Eve 2! The image isn't 100% perfect but it's awesome for the price of entry.
NoAffinity wrote:Great to hear @RoboArmy! I'm sure the PE2 skill set will come back quickly now that you have a reliable scaling solution. :)
Hopefully! :lol:
Last edited by RoboArmy on Sun May 09, 2021 10:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

Nice work @Josh128!

Great to hear @RoboArmy! I'm sure the PE2 skill set will come back quickly now that you have a reliable scaling solution. :)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
ulfrinn

Post by ulfrinn »

So I have some questions and I was wondering if anyone could assist without having to read over 140+ pages stretched out over years of some of what could be obsolete advice or information now.

I have a GBS-8200 board, got the D1 mini all set up, installed, got the debug pin soldered as well, and for the most part, the image looks fantastic. But there's a screen tearing issue, and I've been searching for a solution but couldn't find it. Will this require the clock mod?

I also can't seem to find information relating to the two VGA outputs (one is just a header on mine) but can these display video simultaneously? If so, I'd like to permanently install the PCB of a simple lag-free VGA to HDMI adapter for capture while running the other to a CRT.

Other questions I have pertain to the blue boards with built in HDMI output. I've seen two versions of these, one with a VGA port, one without any kind of connections at all, just three headers on the PCB. I seen mention of the second one in this thread, but it didn't appear to have an easy spot to tap into the SCL/SDA, I was wondering if anyone figured that out, or if either board actually outputs a suitable lag free image to be used as a direct to HDMI solution?

And my last question after looking at these boards is that none of them have component inputs. Is it just not possible to use a component signal on those boards or can it accept and process a component signal through one of the RGBHV headers?
Ryoandr

Post by Ryoandr »

Tear line can be removed with frametimelock active but it might reduce display compatibility.
Installing the clockgen will sync to input so no tear, but also display compat might be an issue.
You might want to try playing with syncwatch, snap to 50/60, htotal++ / -- to try to resolve it.

On 8200, VGA socket and header are the same so don't use both.
The 8220 is proper dual output but might need the power fixes for the 2nd output to work noise free.

SCL/SDA go to some pins on the controller, so you can solder them directly if you don't have points or headers.

Currently RGBS/HV and component must be fed through their appropriate input. I think the chip is able to process any type through any input but I don't know if actual traces allow it, and AFAIK GBS Control doesn't allow it.
3style

Post by 3style »

kitty666cats wrote:
3style wrote:

That’s odd; I have a OG PS4 so I am unsure of any compatibility differences there may or may not be :[
Yes, I have the feeling that the PS4 slim has a different HDMI signal somehow.
The message I get from the GBS debugging window is that "source format not properly is recognized".
TABYDACAT

Post by TABYDACAT »

TABYDACAT wrote:Just wanted to update on this OLED option. Currently still getting the logic down for the OLED itself, navigating menus, selecting options etc. So far, with other projects, I've been working on this at a slower pace. Also finished cleaning up the encoder signals via an efficient ISR and caps. Overall, its coming along and hopefully will be done for ppl to test out here. Also included a picture of the new boot logo I mentioned on the previous post. Anyways, thanks for reading, have a good day!
Spoiler
Another update on this. Menus, cursors and switching logic are done for the most part. I say for the most part because I'm adding each menu and each individual option one-by-one from my "test program" to the GBS-C firmware to ensure everything continues to work. I've included a picture of the 1280x960 troubleshooting phase to give an idea of it working alongside a console. I need to tweak some text behavior, and continue transferring menu code over. I want to release a small beta of this in which the only sub-option working is the resolutions. Just so those that are interested in this can mess with this to see how they like it so far. Thanks for reading!
Spoiler
ulfrinn

Post by ulfrinn »

Ryoandr wrote:Tear line can be removed with frametimelock active but it might reduce display compatibility.
Installing the clockgen will sync to input so no tear, but also display compat might be an issue.
You might want to try playing with syncwatch, snap to 50/60, htotal++ / -- to try to resolve it.

On 8200, VGA socket and header are the same so don't use both.
The 8220 is proper dual output but might need the power fixes for the 2nd output to work noise free.

SCL/SDA go to some pins on the controller, so you can solder them directly if you don't have points or headers.

Currently RGBS/HV and component must be fed through their appropriate input. I think the chip is able to process any type through any input but I don't know if actual traces allow it, and AFAIK GBS Control doesn't allow it.
So you're saying that even though the GBS-8200 has the VGA output, and a header beside it, it cannot output simultaneously because these two are linked, but the 8220 can do simultaneous output? Hmm, I just compared pictures of the PCB and it does look like the 8220 does have a second set of SMD components directly behind it. If that can output simultaneously then I may have to pick one of those up and connect a cheap VGA to HDMI board to one of the outputs for capture purposes after I get a CRT.

I was thinking of going with one of the HDMI models though, but the lack of component inputs, and my need for them was the only reason I haven't. You say the traces would be different on the RGB and component inputs on the 8200/8220, but does the ability to use component through those inputs exist on the HDMI boards? The most recent HDMI board I seen doesn't have any connectors on it at all, just headers.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

ulfrinn wrote: So you're saying that even though the GBS-8200 has the VGA output, and a header beside it, it cannot output simultaneously because these two are linked, but the 8220 can do simultaneous output?

Yes, in fact if you notice the 8220 has two headers - one that's linked to each DE-15 port. You can still only use one connection per port.
ulfrinn wrote:The most recent HDMI board I seen doesn't have any connectors on it at all, just headers.
I believe you can just solder the component jacks on
Ryoandr

Post by Ryoandr »

ulfrinn wrote: So you're saying that even though the GBS-8200 has the VGA output, and a header beside it, it cannot output simultaneously because these two are linked, but the 8220 can do simultaneous output? Hmm, I just compared pictures of the PCB and it does look like the 8220 does have a second set of SMD components directly behind it. If that can output simultaneously then I may have to pick one of those up and connect a cheap VGA to HDMI board to one of the outputs for capture purposes after I get a CRT.

I was thinking of going with one of the HDMI models though, but the lack of component inputs, and my need for them was the only reason I haven't. You say the traces would be different on the RGB and component inputs on the 8200/8220, but does the ability to use component through those inputs exist on the HDMI boards? The most recent HDMI board I seen doesn't have any connectors on it at all, just headers.
Right now, no HDMI version takes component and there isn't a way to add them easily, also version with headers only are still only 1 RGBS/HV, they all go to the same input, you can see there is only one set of terminations.

8200 and 8220 are still the best way to go IMO, if you need HDMI just add a converter which also allows easy audio inject into HDMI (unlike with direct HDMI boards)
3style

Post by 3style »

Still no luck here with the ps4. Tried a PS4 and a PS4 slim and both on a Sony BVM and a Sony PVM.
It’s strange because this exact same setup works with a Xbox 360 with hdmi out:

This is my setup:

PS4 (set to 480p) > HDMI to component adapter > component in GBS8200 > VGA out GBS control > UMSA VGA to Scart > Scart break-out to BNC

It must have something todo with the hdmi to component adapter.
ulfrinn

Post by ulfrinn »

Yeah, I didn't think the HDMI version would be able to take in component, so that's why I've been avoiding it. But when I look at the consoles I would want to connect in this manner, they either output RGB or have very effective component to HDMI solutions already available. So I may still go one of the HDMI routes for general usage.

As for the 8200 vs 8220, after I get a CRT monitor for gaming, If the 8220 can output from both outputs simultaneously, then I'd want to remove one of the VGA connectors, solder a connector onto a VGA to HDMI adapter PCB, and connect it so I can have a VGA and HDMI output, one to the VGA monitor and the HDMI to a capture card. But for the time being since I do not have a CRT monitor, I will probably end up soldering the VGA to HDMI adapter I have now inside internally, and seal it all up together in a 3D printed shell. I will have to take some of the advice above on sorting out the sync issue and see if I need the clock generator or not.

Currently, I have a SCART connector soldered to the large RGBs header, and will probably include that in the 3D printed shell, but I am considering leaving that off, and making a SCART to DB15 adapter. I thought about using a couple of the unused pins on the DB15 connector to pass through audio to the HDMI output. Or go with a simple panel-mount BNC option.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Any reason why you're not simply connecting the YPbPr analog output from the HDMI to component converter straight into the monitors?

Also, have you tried setting the PS4s to 720p and 1080i (and again connected directly to the monitors as component, without the extra steps into SCART RGB)?
ulfrinn

Post by ulfrinn »

I wonder if his PS4 issues are due to HDCP blocking HDMI output on non HDCP compliant devices?
3style

Post by 3style »

fernan1234 wrote:Any reason why you're not simply connecting the YPbPr analog output from the HDMI to component converter straight into the monitors?

Also, have you tried setting the PS4s to 720p and 1080i (and again connected directly to the monitors as Still no luck here with the ps4. Tried a PS4 and a PS4 slim and both on a Sony BVM and a Sony PVM.
It’s strange because this exact same setup works with a Xbox 360 with hdmi out:

This is my setup:

PS4 (set to 480p) > HDMI to component adapter > component in GBS8200 > VGA out GBS control > UMSA VGA to Scart > Scart break-out to BNC component, without the extra steps into SCART RGB)?
I’m downscaling 480p to 240p here because the monitor is 15khz.
The signal needs to be 480p for the GBS to accept.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

3style wrote: I’m downscaling 480p to 240p here because the monitor is 15khz.
Oh my apologies, I didn't read attentively enough and was totally off on what you were trying to do.

The DAC seems to be the likely weak link in the chain given that everything else works with the X360. I'd try an HDMI to VGA converter. I've read that the GBS-C can have issues with RGBHV inputs, put that may be addressable with a sync combiner.
3style

Post by 3style »

fernan1234 wrote:
3style wrote: I’m downscaling 480p to 240p here because the monitor is 15khz.
Oh my apologies, I didn't read attentively enough and was totally off on what you were trying to do.

The DAC seems to be the likely weak link in the chain given that everything else works with the X360. I'd try an HDMI to VGA converter. I've read that the GBS-C can have issues with RGBHV inputs, put that may be addressable with a sync combiner.
No problem, I was not clear about this.
But yes I also believe the converter is causing this issue. But maybe it’s related to the HDCP.
I also saw today that the converter that I bought is only compatible up to a ps3 and with no HDCP support I believe:

https://www.amazon.com/Portta-Converter ... s9dHJ1ZQ==
Ryoandr

Post by Ryoandr »

unlike ps3 there is an option to deactivate HDCP on ps4, try it, just in case.
Also, do you power the converter ? PS4 is notorious for not having enough power over HDMI for converters.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

HDCP can get pretty confusing because technically "HDCP support" or "HDCP compliance" means that it upholds HDCP encryption if present, so that an encrypted signal will not be passed. Devices that are often said to "strip" HDCP are simply too old or deliberately made not to recognize the encryption, simply passing through the signal.

Traditionally it was the PS3 that was more problematic about this, especially when loading PS3 games or blurays. Back when I used Portta converters they seemed to not have issues regarding HDCP. You can also find some simple cheap HDMI splitters as well as audio extractors that effectively "strip" HDCP.

edit: good point above about power. A converter with its own power supply is worth trying.
3style

Post by 3style »

Ryoandr wrote:unlike ps3 there is an option to deactivate HDCP on ps4, try it, just in case.
Also, do you power the converter ? PS4 is notorious for not having enough power over HDMI for converters.
Yes I know, I was hoping this was the solution, but de-activating HDCP did not solve it.
The HMDI to component converter also is powered.
ulfrinn

Post by ulfrinn »

fernan1234 wrote:HDCP can get pretty confusing because technically "HDCP support" or "HDCP compliance" means that it upholds HDCP encryption if present, so that an encrypted signal will not be passed. Devices that are often said to "strip" HDCP are simply too old or deliberately made not to recognize the encryption, simply passing through the signal.

Traditionally it was the PS3 that was more problematic about this, especially when loading PS3 games or blurays. Back when I used Portta converters they seemed to not have issues regarding HDCP. You can also find some simple cheap HDMI splitters as well as audio extractors that effectively "strip" HDCP.

edit: good point above about power. A converter with its own power supply is worth trying.
Yeah, when I was trying to capture PS3 gameplay I ran into the issue. I bought a cheap splitter which seemed to give PS3 HDCP the middle finger. It's a valuable tool. And could very well be the solution to this guys problem. I am not sure it can be completely disabled on PS4 or not or if it is, it may only run under certain circumstances. Can the PS4 even output 480P though?
3style

Post by 3style »

ulfrinn wrote:
fernan1234 wrote:HDCP can get pretty confusing because technically "HDCP support" or "HDCP compliance" means that it upholds HDCP encryption if present, so that an encrypted signal will not be passed. Devices that are often said to "strip" HDCP are simply too old or deliberately made not to recognize the encryption, simply passing through the signal.

Yeah, when I was trying to capture PS3 gameplay I ran into the issue. I bought a cheap splitter which seemed to give PS3 HDCP the middle finger. It's a valuable tool. And could very well be the solution to this guys problem. I am not sure it can be completely disabled on PS4 or not or if it is, it may only run under certain circumstances. Can the PS4 even output 480P though?
Yes, but only the non Pro model supports 480p.

My Life in Gaming reviewed the GBS control with lots of games and also the PS4:

https://youtu.be/mcqskbCWPCs?list=TLPQM ... fZrQ&t=865