Please recommend shmups with missions/challenges

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
qmish

Please recommend shmups with missions/challenges

Post by qmish »

I liked missions mode in Psyvariar 2. Challenges in Raiden V and Blue Revolver (?) were also ok. Please tell if there is more.

It could be missions as standalone menu-triggerable launches, or implemented in main game.

Just having score attack doesn't count! Need tasks/objectives.
Mortificator

Re: Please recommend shmups with missions/challenges

Post by Mortificator »

The PSP version of Darius Burst has a mission mode that's unlocked after you clear arcade mode.
RegalSin wrote:You can't even drive across the country Naked anymore
BIL

Post by BIL »

R-Type Delta and Zanac Neo's pilot data both have some pretty nice "trophies" for stuff like no-Force clears, a good decade or so before such things became mainstream.
John4300

Post by John4300 »

Mortificator wrote:The PSP version of Darius Burst has a mission mode that's unlocked after you clear arcade mode.
Dariusburst Chronicle Saviours' whole CS mode could technically also be called a "Mission Mode". The levels loop backgrounds, musics and stages in different kinds of remixes, the missions are just arranged in a map so you unlock few missions a time clearing bigger missions.

AC Mode also has Chronicle Mode, which is commonly mixed with CS Mode, and it's also somewhat similar with it having bunch of (And this means a lot, probably quite a bite for a single person) missions you clear to unlock new ones. I know CS Mode has ending stage(s) with final boss and credits, and Chronicle Mode has an ending stage which rolls credits too if I'm correct.

One other game that comes to my mind right now with mission styled gameplay is Ketsui Death Label for DS, but I don't know how fondly that game is looked here. DS has quite poor D-Pad to play the game with.
Koa Zo

Post by Koa Zo »

Collect all the puppies in Radiant Silvergun.
SPM

Post by SPM »

Devil Engine
Jamestown+
Sine Mora
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

Bullet Heaven 2 is a lot of fun and has dozens of short stages you can apply handicaps to to increase the difficulty while adding a scoring multiplier.
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
Samildanach

Post by Samildanach »

Soldner X-2 has some fun challenges which additionally allows you to unlock new weapons for your ship(s) as you beat them.

The game is a little on the euroshmuppy side, but probably one of the better designed ones to be fair. It definitely starts to show its depth once you spend some time with it. A great soundtrack really helps it along too.
Koa Zo

Post by Koa Zo »

I think this is related to OP, pardon me if I'm off base...
are there any examples of good shoot'em-ups with branching paths depending on certain objectives or targets?
Off-hand I can think of Blast Wind - but that's just a matter of hitting a switch to change route.
Like are there examples of shmups where you get a different path by completing certain objectives?
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

@OP - I seem to recall SDOJ on the 360 has missions, though you'll need a translation (which I think someone on here did at some point) to know what they are.

@Koa - I think DFK sets you on a different path right in the first stage if you do a certain handful of things, though I forget exactly how it works. Also, would something like Psyvariar's "higher score = can select more/tougher levels" count?
KAI

Post by KAI »

Illvelo, play illvelo, it's basically Missions:the game
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Galaxian. Mission: Destroy Aliens. ;)

On a more serious note, I'm surprised Cardinal Sins wasn't mentioned yet. Each stage is based off a different objective.
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

Jamestown is an interesting example, because many of the "challenges" are stealth scoring tutorials that can be applied to the main game.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
endali

Post by endali »

KAI wrote:Illvelo, play illvelo, it's basically Missions:the game
What's the best way to play this? Wii emulator? Dreamcast emulator?
qmish

Post by qmish »

Thanks for replies, will go into details later.

For now, want to address this:
Koa Zo wrote: are there any examples of good shoot'em-ups with branching paths depending on certain objectives or targets?
Off-hand I can think of Blast Wind - but that's just a matter of hitting a switch to change route.
Like are there examples of shmups where you get a different path by completing certain objectives?
DeltaZeal comes to mind! There are some alternative/secret routes on stages that are altered by your actions. For example, on Stage 1 there is even optional miniboss, and 2 or 3 variations of paths/enemy sets you can come through. Other *Zeal games may also had such, or i at least remember smth smth from XII Stag as well.
davyK

Post by davyK »

Oshaberi Parodius has the hidden fairies subquest.
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

endali wrote:
KAI wrote:Illvelo, play illvelo, it's basically Missions:the game
What's the best way to play this? Wii emulator? Dreamcast emulator?
Not having any experience with it personally, it looks like Illvelo was never released on Dreamcast (though some Dreamcast emulators support Naomi, which was the platform that Illvelo appears to have been on in arcades). Otherwise there are ports of Illvelo to Wii and Xbox 360, and I'm guessing Wii emulation is much better.
YouTube | Restart Syndrome | 1cclist | Go Play Mars Matrix
Solunas wrote:How to Takumi your scoring system
1) Create Scoring System
2) Make it a multiplier for your actual score
KAI

Post by KAI »

endali wrote:What's the best way to play this? Wii emulator? Dreamcast emulator?
Wii emulator, naomi emulation is super laggy. The only shitty thing about the latest version dolphin is that the game (and all the other milestone titles) has incorrect stretch.
Zaarock

Post by Zaarock »

KAI wrote:
endali wrote:What's the best way to play this? Wii emulator? Dreamcast emulator?
Wii emulator, naomi emulation is super laggy. The only shitty thing about the latest version dolphin is that the game (and all the other milestone titles) has incorrect stretch.
Flycast (retroarch core or standalone) is finally a low lag Naomi option recently, runs faster than most alternatives too.
tomwhite2004

Post by tomwhite2004 »

KAI wrote:
endali wrote:The only shitty thing about the latest version dolphin is that the game (and all the other milestone titles) has incorrect stretch.
This is only true if you use Dolphin's fullscreen option, the solution is to set everything up in windowed mode and then use a program like lossless scaling to go back to fullscreen.
KAI

Post by KAI »

Even windowed has weird stretching, iirc this is caused because the devs merged some stupid request on dolphin 4.0 to stretch 4:3 games even more (god forbid you to see some black bars when you emulate 480p games at 4k)
Spoiler
tomwhite2004

Post by tomwhite2004 »

KAI wrote:Even windowed has weird stretching, iirc this is caused because the devs merged some stupid request on dolphin 4.0 to stretch 4:3 games even more (god forbid you to see some black bars when you emulate 480p games at 4k)
Spoiler
This is becuase you haven't changed the settings to get the window to the correct aspect with no cropping. Let me finish work and I will drop you a message with details on how to fix it.