gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
phoenix79

Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre

Post by phoenix79 »

superg wrote:
Diggs wrote: 1. Will I actually be able to run the US NES in the chain? I feel I read that composite to scart in gscart isnt supported, but not sure.
Yes, but you will still have to use the TV remote to switch between composite/RGB mode. You will need two RCA SCART adapters (one in input mode and the other one in output mode) and to keep it neat you will have to utilize the second gscartsw output.
Sorry to bother you SuperG. Just got my gscartsw v5.3 today replacing my Bandridge SVB7735 SCART Switch. Thanks for that :)

I am in the UK, but aside from my GameCube, all my retro systems are NTSC. They are now all plugged into the gscart switch that then connects to my PAL Sony KV-21X5U CRT & an OSSC. The only system that I have which is not RGB compatible or hasn't been modified for the OSSC is my NTSC Front Loading NES. I have a SCART adapter I verified works by plugging the NES & adapter directly into the CRT and saw it had no issues.

When I used the Bandridge switch I could easily go between RGB consoles and the NES simply by turning one off and the other on. Now when I turn on the NES through the gscart switch, the CRT makes a gentle popping sound on the TV and the OSD turns off as if it's switching sources but nothing shows.

I tried toggling the DIP switches, yet I cannot get it to work. I tried changing the source on the TV as you showed to toggle between Composite and RGB, but still nothing.

I feel like I am missing something and I hope this isn't the hundredth time you've answered this, but any assistance would be appreciated :)
superg

Post by superg »

phoenix79 wrote: Sorry to bother you SuperG. Just got my gscartsw v5.3 today replacing my Bandridge SVB7735 SCART Switch. Thanks for that :)

I am in the UK, but aside from my GameCube, all my retro systems are NTSC. They are now all plugged into the gscart switch that then connects to my PAL Sony KV-21X5U CRT & an OSSC. The only system that I have which is not RGB compatible or hasn't been modified for the OSSC is my NTSC Front Loading NES. I have a SCART adapter I verified works by plugging the NES & adapter directly into the CRT and saw it had no issues.

When I used the Bandridge switch I could easily go between RGB consoles and the NES simply by turning one off and the other on. Now when I turn on the NES through the gscart switch, the CRT makes a gentle popping sound on the TV and the OSD turns off as if it's switching sources but nothing shows.

I tried toggling the DIP switches, yet I cannot get it to work. I tried changing the source on the TV as you showed to toggle between Composite and RGB, but still nothing.

I feel like I am missing something and I hope this isn't the hundredth time you've answered this, but any assistance would be appreciated :)
As far as I understand, you have your gscartsw connected to your TV SCART input, correct?
It could be that your TV is not switching SCART mode as gscartsw forces 4:3 and RGB mode on the connector all the time.
Try to connect gscartsw to your TV using another SCART-RCA adapter in output mode and use yellow RCA for your TV.
phoenix79

Post by phoenix79 »

superg wrote: As far as I understand, you have your gscartsw connected to your TV SCART input, correct?
Yes, you are correct, I plugged the gscartsw into the CRT's AV1 SCART input.
superg wrote: It could be that your TV is not switching SCART mode as gscartsw forces 4:3 and RGB mode on the connector all the time.
Try to connect gscartsw to your TV using another SCART-RCA adapter in output mode and use yellow RCA for your TV.
I did as you suggested. Using a SCART to RCA adapter in output mode I got it to work. Not an ideal setup for long term use.

I was told by another user that "Output SCART pin 8 is forced 4:3 and pin 16 is forced RGB. (..) you could try just snipping pin 16." Is that the only solution to using both composite and RGB on this CRT via the gscartsw?

Do you happen to know of a short SCART coupler that will remove pin 16 so I do not have to cut off the pin to the shielded SCART cable I use for my CRT?
superg

Post by superg »

phoenix79 wrote: I was told by another user that "Output SCART pin 8 is forced 4:3 and pin 16 is forced RGB. (..) you could try just snipping pin 16." Is that the only solution to using both composite and RGB on this CRT via the gscartsw?

Do you happen to know of a short SCART coupler that will remove pin 16 so I do not have to cut off the pin to the shielded SCART cable I use to plug into my TV?
If you snip cable pin 16 you will have a bigger problem, your TV won't switch to RGB mode for the rest of your consoles, I doubt you want that.
Usually switch users who want to mix in composite and RGB signals are utilizing one output for RGBS and the other one for Composite. As I understand your second output is already connected to OSSC so this wouldn't work for you. Hard to come up with elegant solution for your TV case but let me think about it.
phoenix79

Post by phoenix79 »

superg wrote: If you snip cable pin 16 you will have a bigger problem, your TV won't switch to RGB mode for the rest of your consoles, I doubt you want that.
Ah ok, yes you're right about that lol
superg wrote: Usually switch users who want to mix in composite and RGB signals are utilizing one output for RGBS and the other one for Composite. As I understand your second output is already connected to OSSC so this wouldn't work for you. Hard to come up with elegant solution for your TV case but let me think about it.
Ok :)

I am curious if had an idea why the Bandridge switch worked with both Composite & RGB but the gscartsw doesn't.
superg

Post by superg »

phoenix79 wrote: I am curious if had an idea why the Bandridge switch worked with both Composite & RGB but the gscartsw doesn't.
Most likely Bandridge routes all inputs SCART pin 8 and pin 16 all the way to the output so your TV SCART input recognizes when to switch to Composite and when to RGB. gscartsw forces pin 8 to 4:3 pin 16 to RGB all the time and there are reasons for that.
First of all it simplifies the design e.g. price and potentially reduces the interference as I don't have to route two additional traces per one input.
Next, forcing 4:3 fixes some cases where cable sets that incorrectly (Wii for instance) as in reality there aren't any analog 16:9 signals in the consoles of that time.
Lastly, forcing RGB mode combined with sync based signal detection makes all those incompletely routed 3rd party console SCART cables working, plenty of those.
TL;DR Your Bandridge setup relied on your TV's ability to switch modes based on SCART voltage, something that is not possible with gscartsw.
phoenix79

Post by phoenix79 »

superg wrote: Most likely Bandridge routes all inputs SCART pin 8 and pin 16 all the way to the output so your TV SCART input recognizes when to switch to Composite and when to RGB. gscartsw forces pin 8 to 4:3 pin 16 to RGB all the time and there are reasons for that.
First of all it simplifies the design e.g. price and potentially reduces the interference as I don't have to route two additional traces per one input.
Next, forcing 4:3 fixes some cases where cable sets that incorrectly (Wii for instance) as in reality there aren't any analog 16:9 signals in the consoles of that time.
Lastly, forcing RGB mode combined with sync based signal detection makes all those incompletely routed 3rd party console SCART cables working, plenty of those.
TL;DR Your Bandridge setup relied on your TV's ability to switch modes based on SCART voltage, something that is not possible with gscartsw.
That might explain why I had to always change from 16:9 to 4:3 using my CRT's remote every time I used the Bandridge switch. That was rather annoying lol
GoodGuyJim

Post by GoodGuyJim »

Has anybody used or does anyone have an opinion on if it's a good idea to use, one of those newer short male-to-male SCART couplers to connect a device (in this case RetroTink Comp2RGB and RGB2Comp) to a gscartw that is mounted on a wall?

I'm wondering if the force of gravity could damage the socket on the gscartsw over time, I suppose I could also mount some kind of small brace to rest the device on to help out with that.

I searched the forum to see if anyone had reported doing this but didn't turn anything up, sorry if I missed it.
superg

Post by superg »

GoodGuyJim wrote:Has anybody used or does anyone have an opinion on if it's a good idea to use, one of those newer short male-to-male SCART couplers to connect a device (in this case RetroTink Comp2RGB and RGB2Comp) to a gscartw that is mounted on a wall?

I'm wondering if the force of gravity could damage the socket on the gscartsw over time, I suppose I could also mount some kind of small brace to rest the device on to help out with that.

I searched the forum to see if anyone had reported doing this but didn't turn anything up, sorry if I missed it.
I'd say it's totally fine bob@retrorgb designed and is using that with OSSC I think. SCART is sturdy but you might want to use maybe some tape :).
Kez

Post by Kez »

superg wrote:If you snip cable pin 16 you will have a bigger problem, your TV won't switch to RGB mode for the rest of your consoles, I doubt you want that.
I suggested this as a test, as I think OP's TV can still display RGB SCART via manual override.
Manual for the TV here says:
Poor picture quality when watching a RGB video source: Press the [source] button repeatedly on the remote control until the RGB symbol is displayed on the screen
The only way you'd end up in this scenario is if the cable detect wasn't working.
superg

Post by superg »

Kez wrote:
Poor picture quality when watching a RGB video source: Press the [source] button repeatedly on the remote control until the RGB symbol is displayed on the screen
The only way you'd end up in this scenario is if the cable detect wasn't working.
That would definitely be a solution here if you can manually override scart mode!
phoenix79

Post by phoenix79 »

superg wrote: That would definitely be a solution here if you can manually override scart mode!
From what I can tell with my CRT, I can force RGB on AV1, but I cannot force Composite.

Do you know if there is an adapter like the Open Source SCART Coupler (but male to female) with a front switch on it so you can toggle pin 16 low or high (ie a SCART RGB/Composite switch)? From everything I've read and been told so far, that would help solve the issue :)
superg

Post by superg »

phoenix79 wrote: From what I can tell with my CRT, I can force RGB on AV1, but I cannot force Composite.
In this case maybe you can try to detach pin 16 and make it composite by default and force RGB using the remote for RGB signals.
phoenix79 wrote: Do you know if there is an adapter like the Open Source SCART Coupler (but male to female) with a front switch on it so you can toggle pin 16 low or high (ie a SCART RGB/Composite switch)? From everything I've read and been told so far, that would help solve the issue :)
Unfortunately unaware if such thing exists but can be built I guess...
On a side note, why don't you just RGB mod your NES? :)
phoenix79

Post by phoenix79 »

superg wrote: In this case maybe you can try to detach pin 16 and make it composite by default and force RGB using the remote for RGB signals.

Unfortunately unaware if such thing exists but can be built I guess...
Any chance that a future revision of the gscartsw will include a DIP switch to enable/disable pin 16? Or is this my setup of using RGB for an OSSC & RGB/Composite for a CRT highly unusual?
superg wrote: On a side note, why don't you just RGB mod your NES? :)
Only recently has a no-cut-mod been made for the Frontloader NES. It's my childhood NES and I am debating that, though I am not in a rush to do so.
smallking

Post by smallking »

Hi SuperG, my TV has RGB mode compatibitly issues with the gscart due to the lack of voltage on the output ports.

I've been able to remedy the issue temporarily by soldering one of these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/362423051896 ... xy4YdTSPpF

to pins 16 & 18 on the scart input of the TV to provide 3V when used with the gscart.

My question is would it be safe to instead solder the device directly to one of the output ports on the gscart?
Kez

Post by Kez »

As has just been discussed, the gscartsw already has voltage on pin 16, so it should always activate RGB on your TV. Weird that your battery pack makes it work.. do you mean pin 8 rather than 18?
smallking

Post by smallking »

Kez wrote:As has just been discussed, the gscartsw already has voltage on pin 16, so it should always activate RGB on your TV. Weird that your battery pack makes it work.. do you mean pin 8 rather than 18?
The gscart natively gives 1.8v on pin 16, for my TV its not enough to switch to rgb mode properly.
Kez

Post by Kez »

smallking wrote:The gscart natively gives 1.8v on pin 16, for my TV its not enough to switch to rgb mode properly.
Ahh gotcha, well if you've soldered it on either end it's functionally the same, if the SCART cable is fully pinned then the 3V will be feeding back into the gscartsw.. so if it works at the TV end, it would also work at the gscartsw end. Whether it's safe/a good idea is a different matter! You could just mod your scart cable, if you desolder the wire from pin 16 and attach it to your battery pack or another 3V source, the gscartsw wouldn't be connected to it but the TV would be getting the required voltage.
superg

Post by superg »

smallking wrote: The gscart natively gives 1.8v on pin 16, for my TV its not enough to switch to rgb mode properly.
I provide 1.8V which is almost in the middle of 1-3V spec RGB range. You cannot install battery pack anywhere as it will compete with gscartsw voltage and might eventually damage the switch. The proper way would be to modify your TV input board to accept standard range or even force it.
superg

Post by superg »

phoenix79 wrote: Any chance that a future revision of the gscartsw will include a DIP switch to enable/disable pin 16? Or is this my setup of using RGB for an OSSC & RGB/Composite for a CRT highly unusual?
No chance for that to happen.
phoenix79

Post by phoenix79 »

superg wrote: No chance for that to happen.
No prob, thanks for always being so helpful to everyone out there and answering so many questions :)

I edited a SCART pinout I found online as most don't describe pins 8 & 16 properly. I know this isn't needed by SuperG, but it might help others :)
phoenix79

Post by phoenix79 »

Do people who normally purchase the SCART gscartsw only use it for RGB or RGB modded consoles? I was wondering if my use case (using RGB for an OSSC & RGB/Composite for a CRT) is rather unusual or not.

I ask because if it isn't, that gives me hope that maybe someone (who has better knowledge about it than I) would be able to modify the Open Source SCART adapter and make it into an RGB/Composite selector box.

If my use case is unusual, I'm guessing that it won't happen and I'll just have to keep the NES directly plugged into my CRT and swap between inputs via the remote and maybe keep my old SCART switch for that.
superg

Post by superg »

phoenix79 wrote:Do people who normally purchase the SCART gscartsw only use it for RGB or RGB modded consoles? I was wondering if my use case (using RGB for an OSSC & RGB/Composite for a CRT) is rather unusual or not.

I ask because if it isn't, that gives me hope that maybe someone (who has better knowledge about it than I) would be able to modify the Open Source SCART adapter and make it into an RGB/Composite selector box.

If my use case is unusual, I'm guessing that it won't happen and I'll just have to keep the NES directly plugged into my CRT and swap between inputs via the remote and maybe keep my old SCART switch for that.
On my experience I'd say 99% gscartsw owners are full SCART RGB / mods. Most composite users are using gcompsw with component cables / mods, not trying to sell you gcompsw :), just the statistics.
RGB modding your NES is probably the easiest way out, apart from quality you will get a full compatibility without messing with composite. I totally understand the sentimental value though - all my modded stuff is no cut and I keep the original parts in zip bags and keep it as original as possible.
phoenix79

Post by phoenix79 »

superg wrote: On my experience I'd say 99% gscartsw owners are full SCART RGB / mods. Most composite users are using gcompsw with component cables / mods, not trying to sell you gcompsw :), just the statistics.
RGB modding your NES is probably the easiest way out, apart from quality you will get a full compatibility without messing with composite. I totally understand the sentimental value though - all my modded stuff is no cut and I keep the original parts in zip bags and keep it as original as possible.
Ah ok, so that RGB/Composite SCART Coupler probably won't happen then. Drats.

So it seems that people who typically purchase a gscartsw have either fully RGB modded everything or plan to do so if their system didn't support RGB out of the box.

I feel like the gscartsw is probably like a high-end car. So with my setup of all RGB save for one Composite system might be analogous to me purchasing a high-end Aston Martin DB9 but still keeping & using my parents unmodified 1980's Volvo 240 lol
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

phoenix79 wrote:
superg wrote: On my experience I'd say 99% gscartsw owners are full SCART RGB / mods. Most composite users are using gcompsw with component cables / mods, not trying to sell you gcompsw :), just the statistics.
Ah ok, so that RGB/Composite SCART Coupler probably won't happen then. Drats.

So it seems that people who typically purchase a gscartsw have either fully RGB modded everything or plan to do so if their system didn't support RGB out of the box.

I feel like the gscartsw is probably like a high-end car. So with my setup of all RGB save for one Composite system might be analogous to me purchasing a high-end Aston Martin DB9 but still keeping & using my parents unmodified 1980's Volvo 240 lol
Do yourself a favor and determine how to get RBG from each console you own. Terminate either SCART or component, or VGA if you like pain!
check this: https://www.retrorgb.com/systems.html
phoenix79

Post by phoenix79 »

ldeveraux wrote: Do yourself a favor and determine how to get RBG from each console you own. Terminate either SCART or component, or VGA if you like pain!
check this: https://www.retrorgb.com/systems.html
Thanks for the help, I have been following RGBob for years now and have RGB modded all my other systems.

That isn't the issue here and I have mentioned earlier
phoenix79 wrote:Only recently has a no-cut-mod been made for the Frontloader NES. It's my childhood NES and I am debating that, though I am not in a rush to do so.
The question was basically about how my setup was working with my previous SCART switch, but it is not working now. SuperG was kind enough to help answer my questions and I now understand what is going on.
snowekim

Post by snowekim »

Hey @Superg,

if I daisy chain an Otaku passive scart switch into my gscartsw (8:2) would the quality of the inputs connected to the passive switch be affected?

Thanks!
superg

Post by superg »

snowekim wrote:Hey @Superg,

if I daisy chain an Otaku passive scart switch into my gscartsw (8:2) would the quality of the inputs connected to the passive switch be affected?

Thanks!
afaik otaku switch is mechanical so quality should not be affected in a direct way. But you're increasing total cable length so in that regard it might affect it although I don't think you will observe a visual difference.
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

Question for SuperG, but is it possible to use any mini usb to usb wall charger for the gscartsw, or is that not recommended? I was thinking of combining it into a single wall adapter along with the rgb2comp, which is flexible at using any wall charger apparently. If this isn't recommended then I won't attempt it however.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

Taiyaki wrote:Question for SuperG, but is it possible to use any mini usb to usb wall charger for the gscartsw, or is that not recommended? I was thinking of combining it into a single wall adapter along with the rgb2comp, which is flexible at using any wall charger apparently. If this isn't recommended then I won't attempt it however.
This was asked and answered about a month or so back.