OSSC Pro

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Bahn Yuki

Re: OSSC Pro

Post by Bahn Yuki »

Guspaz wrote:Wouldn't you be connecting it to a 4K TV? What's the use case for 1080i HDMI output? I can't think of any TV off the top of my head that accepts 1080i but not 240p.
Many Sony hd crts can be lagless in 1080i(toggle) HDPT) . For instance in my Sony 34xbr960,1080i is lagless in hdmi or component. 720p is 21ms in hdmi or component. Oddly enough 480p is 32ms in hdmi and 21ms in component. 240p doesn't work over hdmi and is 48ms over component.

What's nice is that ossc pro will provide a low lag(8ms) 1080p =>1080i conversion which really opens up what the tvs can do. I currently have an Atlona scaler that does this at the cost of 24ms. Nvidia dropped interlace resolutions with Turing gpus so this feature is a godsend.

For those curious, the PS5 still has 1080i support.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Displays I currently own:
LG 83C1(OLED),LG 77C2(OLED), LG 42C2(OLED),TCL 75R635(MiniLED),Apple Studio Monitor 21(PCCRT),SONY 34XBR960x2(HDCRT)
SONY 32XBR250,Samsung UBJ590(LED),Panasonic P50VT20(Plasma),JVC NZ8
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

Bahn Yuki wrote:For those curious, the PS5 still has 1080i support.
Why would you filter your PS5 through anything other than HDMI?
anexanhume

Post by anexanhume »

Bahn Yuki wrote:
Guspaz wrote:
Bahn Yuki wrote:1080i output since Mike Chi ridiculed people on Twitter for asking about it on the retrotink 5x. "No 1080i, no buy" is a campaign slogan I can get behind.
So, I'm not familiar with the particular tweets being referred to, but Mike has said here that the lack of interlacing support is an architectural limit that he might try to address in the future:
mikechi2 wrote:Sorry, no 480p -> 480i. This is something in the back of my mind, but the architecture of the scaler isn't setup to produce interlaced sync yet haha. I would love to have this for watching movies, although I think (?) you can get commerical HDMI -> component dongles that can do this (?)
https://twitter.com/retrotink2/status/1 ... 11648?s=20

That was just today. He was actually kinder today about it. I made my reply earlier about it. "No 1080i, no buy". Since marqs said 1080i will be a feature, I'm buying the OSSC Pro.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
I asked if the Morph would have 1080i but didn’t get a response. I’m getting a 34XBR960 next month (ISF calibrated no less!), and have a D24, so I am very interested in 1080i as an option.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

anexanhume wrote: I asked if the Morph would have 1080i but didn’t get a response. I’m getting a 34XBR960 next month (ISF calibrated no less!), and have a D24, so I am very interested in 1080i as an option.
That is a very cool project, and it's got it's own thread. :wink:
Bahn Yuki

Post by Bahn Yuki »

ldeveraux wrote:
I don't understand this question. Can you please elaborate? My HD CRTs all have HDMI input.

LG 83C1(OLED),LG 77C2(OLED), LG 42C2(OLED),TCL 75R635(MiniLED),Apple Studio Monitor 21(PCCRT),SONY 34XBR960x2(HDCRT)
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Bahn Yuki wrote:
ldeveraux wrote:
I don't understand this question. Can you please elaborate? My HD CRTs all have HDMI input.

I guess the better question is why would you run a primarily 4K device on a 1080i screen?
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
strayan

Post by strayan »

Presumably because he doesn’t have to worry about lag and it would look great?
nissling

Post by nissling »

bobrocks95 wrote:I guess the better question is why would you run a primarily 4K device on a 1080i screen?
I must admit I actually use my Oppo 203 and Ps4 Pro on my BVM-A24 on a daily basis. I only want one display in my living room and considering how much retro games I play, the BVM suits me perfectly as I can sit close to it. Don't have a PS5 but if I did chances are I'd use it on the Sony, at least sometimes.

But like you say, this is not really a route I'd recommend to an average gamer.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

Yeah my wording was perhaps improper. Why would you play a PS5 (or PS4 for that matter) on a CRT? Sure, because you can, but that's like people that play Doom on a graphing calculator. Just because it can be done absolutely doesn't mean it should be. I can't understand why you'd want to play a very non-retro system, built to run 1080p at the very minimal, on a 1080i smaller display. Unless you just want to keep all your gaming on a single screen, then it would make sense.
Bahn Yuki

Post by Bahn Yuki »

ldeveraux wrote:Yeah my wording was perhaps improper. Why would you play a PS5 (or PS4 for that matter) on a CRT? Sure, because you can, but that's like people that play Doom on a graphing calculator. Just because it can be done absolutely doesn't mean it should be. I can't understand why you'd want to play a very non-retro system, built to run 1080p at the very minimal, on a 1080i smaller display. Unless you just want to keep all your gaming on a single screen, then it would make sense.
The simplest answer: because it looks better. Here's a statement I'll say and you may or may not believe it but feel free to quote

"Cyberpunk 2077@1080i on my SONY 34XBR960 looks(no pixel grid, motion resolution, psycho rtx) and plays better(less lag at 60hz) than 4K on my 77C1 off my RTX 3070"

Yes I give up size going from 77" OLED to 34" CRT, but what I gain is going from playing on a TV screen to looking through a window. There is significantly more "depth" when playing on the crt that goes beyond what any of the spec sheets say.

I think folks are too fixated on resolutions. What would you rather have today? A 1440p OLED or a budget 4k LCD? Resolution alone doesn't define image quality.

ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

Bahn Yuki wrote:
ldeveraux wrote:Yeah my wording was perhaps improper. Why would you play a PS5 (or PS4 for that matter) on a CRT? Sure, because you can, but that's like people that play Doom on a graphing calculator. Just because it can be done absolutely doesn't mean it should be. I can't understand why you'd want to play a very non-retro system, built to run 1080p at the very minimal, on a 1080i smaller display. Unless you just want to keep all your gaming on a single screen, then it would make sense.
The simplest answer: because it looks better. Here's a statement I'll say and you may or may not believe it but feel free to quote

"Cyberpunk 2077@1080i on my SONY 34XBR960 looks(no pixel grid, motion resolution, psycho rtx) and plays better(less lag at 60hz) than 4K on my 77C1 off my RTX 3070"

Yes I give up size going from 77" OLED to 34" CRT, but what I gain is going from playing on a TV screen to looking through a window. There is significantly more "depth" when playing on the crt that goes beyond what any of the spec sheets say.

I think folks are too fixated on resolutions. What would you rather have today? A 1440p OLED or a budget 4k LCD? Resolution alone doesn't define image quality.

I think you should have used a gaming example that was done properly, and 2077 ain't it. :wink:
Bahn Yuki

Post by Bahn Yuki »

ldeveraux wrote:
Bahn Yuki wrote:

I think you should have used a gaming example that was done properly, and 2077 ain't it. :wink:
I've been fortunate with the lack of glitches and RTX looks next gen. My statement stands for Doom Eternal. I will say that 4k@120hz does look really good on the 77C1. Unfortunately not many games are as optimized so 4k@120hz isn't prevalent yet.

If we go above 60hz my Apple Studio 21" looks pretty good at 1600x1200@85hz but we've derailed this thread enough already.

Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

My love affair with CRTs runs deep, but even I have to question how an XBR 34" @1080i could possibly match a 77" OLED running a 4K. :|
Bahn Yuki

Post by Bahn Yuki »

Josh128 wrote:My love affair with CRTs runs deep, but even I have to question how an XBR 34" @1080i could possibly match a 77" OLED running a 4K. :|
Least you can question it without spending $3100 on a screen that gets bested by a 2006 TV in gaming.

C1 looks great for movies though.

insectmeyes

Post by insectmeyes »

Hello, thank you very much for this open source project. I am looking forward to buying one.

I wanted to comment that once the development is finished the name should be changed because right now models of the normal OSSC are being sold with the Pro name and the difference is that they have heatsinks to avoid heating problems I think: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCSgQ_D5ag0

On the other hand, is the approximate price and date of departure of the new OSSC known? If time lacks, I would buy another console or expensive gadget in the meantime, otherwise I wait with my savings. ^^
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

insectmeyes wrote:I wanted to comment that once the development is finished the name should be changed because right now models of the normal OSSC are being sold with the Pro name and the difference is that they have heatsinks to avoid heating problems I think: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCSgQ_D5ag0
eww that's just tacky.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

It's kind of impressive that they bothered making an accurate 3D model of the OSSC for their AliExpress entry. I'm not sure that they sold enough to make changing the name matter, it just seems to be limited to aliexpress anyhow.
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

I think if someone buys one of those expecting to get an actual OSSC Pro, well, that's kinda on them :D

Cool go faster stripe though!
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
Thomago

Post by Thomago »

BuckoA51 wrote:Cool go faster stripe though!
I'd be worried about A/V desynchronization there xD
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

I made a quick video of some of the OSSC pro's new features and posted it to my Youtube here:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THyhfHe5Jz0
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
strayan

Post by strayan »

Thanks for that. How quick is the weave deinterlacing mode? Any numbers yet?
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

While I can't speak for the OSSC Pro itself, there is no reason for weave to add any delay, the reason it wasn't possible on the OSSC was because it didn't have enough RAM to buffer the previous field, which it needs to fill in the alternating scanlines.
XtraSmiley

Post by XtraSmiley »

Thank you for the update video, the hype is being generated in my mind already!

Any chance you could demonstrate the rotation feature? This is one of the big ones many have been waiting on!
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

BuckoA51 wrote:I made a quick video of some of the OSSC pro's new features and posted it to my Youtube here:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THyhfHe5Jz0
:D
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

Any chance you could demonstrate the rotation feature? This is one of the big ones many have been waiting on!
That's not implemented yet I'm afraid.
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

I like lanczos3 scaling for 480p so that's a pleasant surprise (I wasn't sure we'd get anything but nearest and bilinear).

Definitely want to see a lot more flexibility in framelock options though. To match whatever mode you might want to.
XtraSmiley

Post by XtraSmiley »

BuckoA51 wrote:
That's not implemented yet I'm afraid.
OK, thank you.

I'm by no means making any demands on the team, however, this is one of the features that would really help shmup fans. I don't know how feasible it is, but it should be one of the main features ready to go when the OSSC-Pro ships!
naz

Post by naz »

Thanks for the video, could you share if the scanlines settings will have some new options or if it will be a direct port from the ossc classic?? (all I want is to use custom settings on both vertical and horizontal lines at the same time, right now horizontal settings disable vertical for that line).

Regards
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

Scanlines are sorely missing from the current build, I'm sure Marqs will have them implemented soon though.
bni

Post by bni »

Will it be possible to do this in OSSC Pro:

https://misterfpga.org/viewtopic.php?t=2227

I mean maybe not automatic per game setting like in that link, but manually cropping the image before 5x is applied.