gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Rasdock

Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre

Post by Rasdock »

I got mine today. I haven't had a lot of time to test it yet, but I did notice loud buzz on my A/V Famicom and some on the PC Engine. I'll just focus on the Famicom for now. Its cable is a SNES cable from Retro Access from late 2016. Directly into their XRGB Mini to female SCART connector, it's fine. Through the switch, I get the buzz. I plan to get a Retro Access male SCART to XRGB mini so I can go directly from the gscart without a middleman, but right now the only thing I had to use was a male to male that came with my Toro box, probably in 2018 (I'm giving the years because I know things improve in terms of shielding and whatnot). I'm hoping it's the culprit, but I obviously have no way to test that right now. I guess the other option would be to replace my Famicom's cable when Retro Access opens up again, but that does become expensive if all my cables need to be updated.

I'm just looking for advice on things to try. This is my first switch, so I don't know much and will provide additional info if needed.
Diggs

Post by Diggs »

Hi,

I will most likely receive my gscartsw today, finally :D Can't wait. I just want to make sure I don't do something stupid, as I'm not as technichal on this subject as most of you guys here.

My setup is a B&O MX7000
JP Super Famicom with RGB cable from retrogamingcables.co.uk
PAL Wii with RGB from retrogamingcables.
US NES on composite

1. Will I actually be able to run the US NES in the chain? I feel I read that composite to scart in gscart isnt supported, but not sure.

2. The DIP switch... This one makes me the most nervous. If I do anything wrong here, can I screw up my something? By chance, by looking at my setup, anyone can tell me what will be the correct setting for me?

Thanks a ton in advance.
thchardcore

Post by thchardcore »

Shout out to superg. This must be a huge pain in the ass to handle bu yourself. Ordered one a few years back and never had an issue.

Thanks for making these available to everyone. Awesome product which solves a huge need.
A camel is a horse designed by a committee
superg

Post by superg »

Rasdock wrote:I got mine today. I haven't had a lot of time to test it yet, but I did notice loud buzz on my A/V Famicom and some on the PC Engine. I'll just focus on the Famicom for now. Its cable is a SNES cable from Retro Access from late 2016. Directly into their XRGB Mini to female SCART connector, it's fine. Through the switch, I get the buzz. I plan to get a Retro Access male SCART to XRGB mini so I can go directly from the gscart without a middleman, but right now the only thing I had to use was a male to male that came with my Toro box, probably in 2018 (I'm giving the years because I know things improve in terms of shielding and whatnot). I'm hoping it's the culprit, but I obviously have no way to test that right now. I guess the other option would be to replace my Famicom's cable when Retro Access opens up again, but that does become expensive if all my cables need to be updated.

I'm just looking for advice on things to try. This is my first switch, so I don't know much and will provide additional info if needed.
That's what you think it is - the problem is your SCART male-to-male cable. The shorter, the better. In my XRGB setup I use 1ft retro-access SCART to MiniDIN.
superg

Post by superg »

Diggs wrote: My setup is a B&O MX7000
US NES on composite
Shouldn't be an issue.
Diggs wrote: 1. Will I actually be able to run the US NES in the chain? I feel I read that composite to scart in gscart isnt supported, but not sure.
Yes, but you will still have to use the TV remote to switch between composite/RGB mode. You will need two RCA SCART adapters (one in input mode and the other one in output mode) and to keep it neat you will have to utilize the second gscartsw output.
Diggs wrote: 2. The DIP switch... This one makes me the most nervous. If I do anything wrong here, can I screw up my something? By chance, by looking at my setup, anyone can tell me what will be the correct setting for me?
First, it's perfectly safe to use it, nothing will happen with any settings combination. Second, the default is what the most people use, unless you have issues.
Rasdock

Post by Rasdock »

superg wrote:
Rasdock wrote:I got mine today. I haven't had a lot of time to test it yet, but I did notice loud buzz on my A/V Famicom and some on the PC Engine. I'll just focus on the Famicom for now. Its cable is a SNES cable from Retro Access from late 2016. Directly into their XRGB Mini to female SCART connector, it's fine. Through the switch, I get the buzz. I plan to get a Retro Access male SCART to XRGB mini so I can go directly from the gscart without a middleman, but right now the only thing I had to use was a male to male that came with my Toro box, probably in 2018 (I'm giving the years because I know things improve in terms of shielding and whatnot). I'm hoping it's the culprit, but I obviously have no way to test that right now. I guess the other option would be to replace my Famicom's cable when Retro Access opens up again, but that does become expensive if all my cables need to be updated.

That's what you think it is - the problem is your SCART male-to-male cable. The shorter, the better. In my XRGB setup I use 1ft retro-access SCART to MiniDIN.
Thanks. Now I just have to wait for Retro Access to be open again. They're saying May 2. I hope I catch the window!
Diggs

Post by Diggs »

superg wrote:
Diggs wrote: My setup is a B&O MX7000
US NES on composite
Shouldn't be an issue.
Diggs wrote: 1. Will I actually be able to run the US NES in the chain? I feel I read that composite to scart in gscart isnt supported, but not sure.
Yes, but you will still have to use the TV remote to switch between composite/RGB mode. You will need two RCA SCART adapters (one in input mode and the other one in output mode) and to keep it neat you will have to utilize the second gscartsw output.
Diggs wrote: 2. The DIP switch... This one makes me the most nervous. If I do anything wrong here, can I screw up my something? By chance, by looking at my setup, anyone can tell me what will be the correct setting for me?
First, it's perfectly safe to use it, nothing will happen with any settings combination. Second, the default is what the most people use, unless you have issues.

Great thank you superg.

I got mine today, and I figure I have to fiddle a bit.

NES didnt work out of the box, i get a glimpse of the picture for a sec before going black. No big problem, i can use the other input on the TV for NES.

However, the SNES works flawless, but the Wii have a green picture. But if I change dip settings to fix Wii, that will screw up the SNES picture or?
superg

Post by superg »

Diggs wrote: Great thank you superg.
NES didnt work out of the box, i get a glimpse of the picture for a sec before going black. No big problem, i can use the other input on the TV for NES.
However, the SNES works flawless, but the Wii have a green picture. But if I change dip settings to fix Wii, that will screw up the SNES picture or?
There is no transcoding in the switch e.g. if you feed RGBS on input - expect RGBS on the output, if you feed composite - expect only composite on the output. NES composite usually works, read my previous post on that.
DIP settings don't magically "fix" things. You have to understand what's wrong first. Green picture doesn't sound right and I don't see how switch can fix that.
Take your time and research RGB topic for your consoles. I suggest to check out retrorgb.com per console RGB guides.
Diggs

Post by Diggs »

superg wrote:
Diggs wrote: Great thank you superg.
There is no transcoding in the switch e.g. if you feed RGBS on input - expect RGBS on the output, if you feed composite - expect only composite on the output. NES composite usually works, read my previous post on that.
DIP settings don't magically "fix" things. You have to understand what's wrong first. Green picture doesn't sound right and I don't see how switch can fix that.
Take your time and research RGB topic for your consoles. I suggest to check out retrorgb.com per console RGB guides.
Well I actually turned on the 2'nd dip switch to turn off green sync compensation and it did in fact do magic - SNES still looks normal, and it fixed the green picture on Wii so I'm happy! I still cant get picture on the secod scart output though, going into an upscaler for streaming-purposes only - but this is most probably due to some computer and/or upscaler setting. I stop bugging you for now, haha. Thanks alot for the quick replies!
superg

Post by superg »

Diggs wrote: Well I actually turned on the 2'nd dip switch to turn off green sync compensation and it did in fact do magic - SNES still looks normal, and it fixed the green picture on Wii so I'm happy! I still cant get picture on the secod scart output though, going into an upscaler for streaming-purposes only - but this is most probably due to some computer and/or upscaler setting. I stop bugging you for now, haha. Thanks alot for the quick replies!
Hmm, Wii: I glad that works but that is totally unexpected! Is your Wii modded to do sync on green? I have no other explanation of that. DIP 2 removes sync pulses from the green channel.
Diggs

Post by Diggs »

superg wrote:
Diggs wrote: Well I actually turned on the 2'nd dip switch to turn off green sync compensation and it did in fact do magic - SNES still looks normal, and it fixed the green picture on Wii so I'm happy! I still cant get picture on the secod scart output though, going into an upscaler for streaming-purposes only - but this is most probably due to some computer and/or upscaler setting. I stop bugging you for now, haha. Thanks alot for the quick replies!
Hmm, Wii: I glad that works but that is totally unexpected! Is your Wii modded to do sync on green? I have no other explanation of that. DIP 2 removes sync pulses from the green channel.

Yea, I think I tried to elaborate a bit on that a bit earlier in the thread actually - but it is softmodded, to run Homebrew channel. And then I'm launching a dumped GC NTSC iso through this (Nintendont). So technically I run a NTSC game on PAL hardware, but these softmods might screw things up a bit.

But lots of wired shit started to happen after i got my RGB cable from retrogamingcables.co.uk. I bought this for a PAL wii, but that ended up showing me a red screen (so to me it really sounds like those RGB cables you need to plan after version of game you will run, not the hardware of the machine itself). Luckily there was a setting in Nintendont to force PAL60 with a deflicker option. This solved it with the RGB cable directly to TV. However today, when I ran this on default setting gscartsw, the picture became green. I turned on the dip switch and it was back to normal. God knows how this game im playing there is actually running..

Not sure if it's possible to follow but yea.. there you go. Gonna test the snes a bit later to see if it actually is correct now though. I just glimpsed at some menus and to me it looked normal (snes worked flawless before hitting the dip switch too).
superg

Post by superg »

Diggs wrote: Yea, I think I tried to elaborate a bit on that a bit earlier in the thread actually - but it is softmodded, to run Homebrew channel. And then I'm launching a dumped GC NTSC iso through this (Nintendont). So technically I run a NTSC game on PAL hardware, but these softmods might screw things up a bit.

But lots of wired shit started to happen after i got my RGB cable from retrogamingcables.co.uk. I bought this for a PAL wii, but that ended up showing me a red screen (so to me it really sounds like those RGB cables you need to plan after version of game you will run, not the hardware of the machine itself). Luckily there was a setting in Nintendont to force PAL60 with a deflicker option. This solved it with the RGB cable directly to TV. However today, when I ran this on default setting gscartsw, the picture became green. I turned on the dip switch and it was back to normal. God knows how this game im playing there is actually running..

Not sure if it's possible to follow but yea.. there you go. Gonna test the snes a bit later to see if it actually is correct now though. I just glimpsed at some menus and to me it looked normal (snes worked flawless before hitting the dip switch too).
Ok, now I remember our softmodded Wii conversation. Sorry I get so many requests and questions I often forget that was discussed before.
Bubba_Shepherd

Post by Bubba_Shepherd »

I got my GSCART on DEC 29, 2020. It was working perfectly until today. Yesterday evening I remember I accidentally touched my video chain including GSCART while I had static electricity in me, and today only very few of the scart ports are working, regardless of which console I plug in (all of them rgb only ofc). I've tried disconnecting every other device but still it's acting up when i try on my crt. What could be the problem?
twotone8

Post by twotone8 »

I'm a new owner of a GScartSW and I've thoroughly enjoyed using it.
I was pleasantly surprised that it could pass through YPbPr component signals as well! Very handy for adding Wii into the mix.
Using this simple adapter works just fine, but it is a bit unsightly. Does anyone know where I could find a simple Component to SCART adapter cable? Preferably one with Audio included?
I could use some Female to Female couplers to get everything hooked up to my liking. The only ones I could find that were still available were in Australia.
I suppose I could always do a custom RetroAccess.com order, but that feels a bit overkill.
ImageImage
superg

Post by superg »

Bubba_Shepherd wrote:I got my GSCART on DEC 29, 2020. It was working perfectly until today. Yesterday evening I remember I accidentally touched my video chain including GSCART while I had static electricity in me, and today only very few of the scart ports are working, regardless of which console I plug in (all of them rgb only ofc). I've tried disconnecting every other device but still it's acting up when i try on my crt. What could be the problem?
Hard to tell, either multiplexer IC damage or input protection shorted. Have doubts it's static.
twotone8 wrote:I'm a new owner of a GScartSW and I've thoroughly enjoyed using it.
I was pleasantly surprised that it could pass through YPbPr component signals as well! Very handy for adding Wii into the mix.
Using this simple adapter works just fine, but it is a bit unsightly. Does anyone know where I could find a simple Component to SCART adapter cable? Preferably one with Audio included?
I could use some Female to Female couplers to get everything hooked up to my liking. The only ones I could find that were still available were in Australia.
I suppose I could always do a custom RetroAccess.com order, but that feels a bit overkill.
Not exactly what you're looking for but check out BNC to SCART cables. you will need RCA to BNC adapters but other than that RGB BNC signals carry YUV and audio is routed the same way (you will have composite sync plug floating though)
Bubba_Shepherd

Post by Bubba_Shepherd »

I have unplugged it and gonna try again later if I can get it to work normally again. If the problem persist I hope it's possible to send it to you for repair. I really feel I used the device normally and wasn't reckless or anything so I'm kinda surprised having trouble with the device after just a few months.
XSync-1

Post by XSync-1 »

Is the gscartsw also made in china, like the OSSC and OSSC Pro will be? Are there any scart switchers that aren't made there? Are the ones made by Otaku-Games made in china?
superg

Post by superg »

XSync-1 wrote:Is the gscartsw also made in china, like the OSSC and OSSC Pro will be? Are there any scart switchers that aren't made there? Are the ones made by Otaku-Games made in china?
Yes, the PCB is manufactured in China and assembled in the US.
I can manufacture the one for you in the US, $800 shipped, let me know if you're interested.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

superg wrote:
XSync-1 wrote:Is the gscartsw also made in china, like the OSSC and OSSC Pro will be? Are there any scart switchers that aren't made there? Are the ones made by Otaku-Games made in china?
I can manufacture the one for you in the US, $800 shipped, let me know if you're interested.
WTF?? Is this because he was being a massive jerk in the other thread?
eatnooM

Post by eatnooM »

superg wrote: Is gscartsw v5.3 the only switch you own?
Anything non standard in your setup like modded audio outputs etc?
Sadly I don't have any other switches to test with - the full setup I was testing with was:
  • Super Famicom, model SNS-CPU-RGB-01; stock apart from L78S05CV voltage regulator + 1uF cap on its output swapped for a 22uF as per https://www.retrorgb.com/snesverticalline.html
    RetroGamingCables Universal SNES cable
    SCART audio breakout, also from RGC
You were right on the power supply front - powering the gscartsw from a power bank made no difference. To make comparison a bit easier, I swapped over to an original Mother 2 cart (rest of the setup is as listed above) and recorded the following: Direct vs. Via gscartsw

Sadly I don't have access to an oscilloscope - looking at the levels of these recordings in Audacity, however, the audio captured from the gscartsw doesn't actually seem louder; it's just distorted for some reason. I've just ordered another SCART-SCART cable from RGC so I should be able to eliminate that part of the setup as a potential problem before too long!
superg

Post by superg »

eatnooM wrote: You were right on the power supply front - powering the gscartsw from a power bank made no difference. To make comparison a bit easier, I swapped over to an original Mother 2 cart (rest of the setup is as listed above) and recorded the following: Direct vs. Via gscartsw

Sadly I don't have access to an oscilloscope - looking at the levels of these recordings in Audacity, however, the audio captured from the gscartsw doesn't actually seem louder; it's just distorted for some reason. I've just ordered another SCART-SCART cable from RGC so I should be able to eliminate that part of the setup as a potential problem before too long!
I highlighted the chunks where the level difference is clearly visible, top is gscartsw output, bottom is direct output, based on the first set of your recordings. Also it's not exactly one to one recording as it's tracking sound and every time you record it, it's a bit different, slight timing issues, etc.
RGC Universal cable - I hope audio is passthrough in that cable but until I get the confirmation I suggest to try the passive SNES cable of your console region.
Same goes for voltage regulator / capacitor. I know it makes vertical bar less pronouncing but I'm sure nobody checked if it affects the sound.

I say this, I will try to reproduce this on my own setup. I have fully recapped US SNES with corresponding SCART cable and no vertical bar fix. I will need the full game rom name from you so I can try. But please be patient as I'm really busy with other things these days.
eatnooM

Post by eatnooM »

superg wrote: I highlighted the chunks where the level difference is clearly visible, top is gscartsw output, bottom is direct output, based on the first set of your recordings. Also it's not exactly one to one recording as it's tracking sound and every time you record it, it's a bit different, slight timing issues, etc.
RGC Universal cable - I hope audio is passthrough in that cable but until I get the confirmation I suggest to try the passive SNES cable of your console region.
Same goes for voltage regulator / capacitor. I know it makes vertical bar less pronouncing but I'm sure nobody checked if it affects the sound.

I say this, I will try to reproduce this on my own setup. I have fully recapped US SNES with corresponding SCART cable and no vertical bar fix. I will need the full game rom name from you so I can try. But please be patient as I'm really busy with other things these days.
I... may have remembered I have a completely stock PAL SNES as well, and verified the issue was also present there (albeit with the same RGC cable we're not sure about).

I've been checking with some other consoles such as my PS2, hooked up via a RGC Sync on Luma cable. The main menu music from a PAL copy of Persona 3 FES (SLES_553.54) demonstrates really well that the issue is present here too: Direct vs. via gscartsw.

I'll report back when my new SCART cable for the run between my gscartsw and TV has arrived with results using that; I'm more than happy for your busy self to not dive into this until I've eliminated more low-hanging fruit.
JLL

Post by JLL »

Hello,

New owner of a gscartsw here (recently ordered from Japan). I'm having some issues getting it to work.
Here's my setup:
  • - Super Famicom (JP) 1-chip with EuroSCART cable from retrogamingcables
  • - PCE (JP) with SSDS3 and SCART cable bought on amazon (euroscart cable, not JP21)
  • - Saturn (JP) with SCART cable bought on amazon (also euroscart cable)
  • - OSSC 1.6 on latest firmware (0.88)
  • - LG OLED TV
  • - SCART to SCART cable from amazon (this one - specifically mentions it is not a JP21 cable)
The setup works when the consoles are plugged directly into the OSSC with their respective cables.
However, I'm not getting any signal when plugged via the gscartsw.

The gscartsw seems to work just fine: the LED lights up and when I turn a console on, I can see the LED blink a little bit, detecting a signal.
I tried fiddling with different sync options in OSSC and the DIP switches on the gscartsw but nothing seems to do the trick.

Are there any other ideas to try so I can troubleshoot this ?

Thank you in advance for the help !
XSync-1

Post by XSync-1 »

superg wrote:
You used to make the gcompsw_old. Now you make a gigantic overpriced version of it that has way too many inputs. Who the heck needs 8 component inputs and 2 outputs? Wait, you don't even make that one anymore either. Now castlemaniagames makes it instead of you.
superg

Post by superg »

XSync-1 wrote: You used to make the gcompsw_old. Now you make a gigantic overpriced version of it that has way too many inputs. Who the heck needs 8 component inputs and 2 outputs? Wait, you don't even make that one anymore either. Now castlemaniagames makes it instead of you.
Thank you for your important opinion lol.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

superg wrote:
XSync-1 wrote: You used to make the gcompsw_old. Now you make a gigantic overpriced version of it that has way too many inputs. Who the heck needs 8 component inputs and 2 outputs? Wait, you don't even make that one anymore either. Now castlemaniagames makes it instead of you.
This dude is getting to be insane at this point. Superg, you and I have had our differences, but I would never claim that people don't want to buy something that they clearly do. I'm very happy with my gcompsw, I think I use 6 of the inputs and both outputs. The world makes no sense any more!
XSync-1

Post by XSync-1 »

ldeveraux wrote:
superg wrote:
This dude is getting to be insane at this point. Superg, you and I have had our differences, but I would never claim that people don't want to buy something that they clearly do. I'm very happy with my gcompsw, I think I use 6 of the inputs and both outputs. The world makes no sense any more!
6 Component inputs? WTH
superg

Post by superg »

XSync-1 wrote: 6 Component inputs? WTH
I ask you to leave and flame elsewhere.
superg

Post by superg »

JLL wrote:Hello,

New owner of a gscartsw here (recently ordered from Japan). I'm having some issues getting it to work.
Here's my setup:
  • - Super Famicom (JP) 1-chip with EuroSCART cable from retrogamingcables
  • - PCE (JP) with SSDS3 and SCART cable bought on amazon (euroscart cable, not JP21)
  • - Saturn (JP) with SCART cable bought on amazon (also euroscart cable)
  • - OSSC 1.6 on latest firmware (0.88)
  • - LG OLED TV
  • - SCART to SCART cable from amazon (this one - specifically mentions it is not a JP21 cable)
The setup works when the consoles are plugged directly into the OSSC with their respective cables.
However, I'm not getting any signal when plugged via the gscartsw.

The gscartsw seems to work just fine: the LED lights up and when I turn a console on, I can see the LED blink a little bit, detecting a signal.
I tried fiddling with different sync options in OSSC and the DIP switches on the gscartsw but nothing seems to do the trick.

Are there any other ideas to try so I can troubleshoot this ?

Thank you in advance for the help !
Already responded by email.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

XSync-1 wrote:Who the heck needs 8 component inputs and 2 outputs?
Me. Some people have a lot of systems, man.