GBS 8200/8220 CFW Project

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Ryoandr

Re: GBS 8200/8220 CFW Project

Post by Ryoandr »

twotone8 wrote: Thanks! I just tried that. It looks like that option is only for output, so clicking it just breaks the HDMI output entirely (as opposed to it just looking like a green tinted version of the Wii output).

I'm hoping there's a similar option for the VGA input port to be able to accept a component signal over those VGA pins.
it can't accept component over the VGA input as it'll only process the sync signals on the dedicated pins and not embeded.
you could put a mechanical VGA switch between the PVM and the GBS :

Code: Select all

PVM -- BNC-VGA cable -- VGA switcher -- VGA cable -- GBS VGA
                                     |- VGA-RCA cable -- GBS component
The VGA-3RCA can be bought for surprisingly cheap, like 5-6$, and VGA mechanical switch (the passive ones with a rotary switch) should be decently cheap too.
twotone8

Post by twotone8 »

Ryoandr wrote:
twotone8 wrote: Thanks! I just tried that. It looks like that option is only for output, so clicking it just breaks the HDMI output entirely (as opposed to it just looking like a green tinted version of the Wii output).

I'm hoping there's a similar option for the VGA input port to be able to accept a component signal over those VGA pins.
it can't accept component over the VGA input as it'll only process the sync signals on the dedicated pins and not embeded.
you could put a mechanical VGA switch between the PVM and the GBS :

Code: Select all

PVM -- BNC-VGA cable -- VGA switcher -- VGA cable -- GBS VGA
                                     |- VGA-RCA cable -- GBS component
The VGA-3RCA can be bought for surprisingly cheap, like 5-6$, and VGA mechanical switch (the passive ones with a rotary switch) should be decently cheap too.

Ah thank you. That makes a lot of sense. I think i'll go on the hunt for a cheap VGA-3RCA cable and just do the manual switcharoo for now. Can you think of one that might go from Female VGA to Male RCA? I might have to get a VGA gender switcher along with it. Hrm.

NVM. Found one right here: https://www.newegg.com/p/0ZK-00AP-00297 ... 4B05526970
Ryoandr

Post by Ryoandr »

small correction, the chip can apparently treat both inputs with embedded sync, but :

-I have no idea if the pcb traces physically allow it
-So far component signal input over VGA isn't implemented in GBS-C anyway
edd247

Post by edd247 »

twotone8 wrote:Thanks! I just tried that. It looks like that option is only for output, so clicking it just breaks the HDMI output entirely (as opposed to it just looking like a green tinted version of the Wii output).

Oh yes, you are right, my fault. Component input over VGA does not seem to work. Not sure if rama can implement that but it would be useful in many cases
Guile

Post by Guile »

I'm considering trying to do the gbs control mod but I am not very good at soldering.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MIrtcO7L3Zk

I found this YouTube video of a guy using Dupont connectors on an ESP8266 with pins already in it. That way you only have to solder that one debug pin and maybe remove the color pots.

Has anyone tried this using Dupont connectors? What kind of wire would I need to solder to the debug pin to connect it like this? Could you strip some of the wire from a Dupont connector wire and solder that directly to the debug pin?
tomrev

Post by tomrev »

Guile wrote:I'm considering trying to do the gbs control mod but I am not very good at soldering.

I found this YouTube video of a guy using Dupont connectors on an ESP8266 with pins already in it. That way you only have to solder that one debug pin and maybe remove the color pots.

Has anyone tried this using Dupont connectors? What kind of wire would I need to solder to the debug pin to connect it like this? Could you strip some of the wire from a Dupont connector wire and solder that directly to the debug pin?
You have many options to connect that pin. Normally, use a thin hard wire such as resistor wire. Soldering resistor wire to that pin and cut pin wire from resistor is good enough. Strip wire from a Dupont connector wire and solder to the debug pin is work too.
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

Guile wrote:I'm considering trying to do the gbs control mod but I am not very good at soldering.

Fair warning, desoldering the color pots is actually the hardest soldering part of the project. My desoldering iron kept plugging before I finally just gave up and heated the legs one by one and moved them a bit until it came out. Once you get them out, the actual soldering for the rest is very, very simple.
Guile

Post by Guile »

Josh128 wrote:
Fair warning, desoldering the color pots is actually the hardest soldering part of the project. My desoldering iron kept plugging before I finally just gave up and heated the legs one by one and moved them a bit until it came out. Once you get them out, the actual soldering for the rest is very, very simple.
I saw some people say it's actually not needed but recommended to remove the pots. After they're removed, they must be bridged is that right? You just need to connect two points with solder?

I'm kind of interested in the gbs control for its ability to switch resolutions extremely fast to help the OSSC sync drops. I've become really fond of line4x mode for 480i though so it's a real tradeoff being forced to only use line2x on 480p.
Kez

Post by Kez »

I don't think it's too difficult to remove the pots, although I wouldn't bother using a desoldering gun for it.. the second method Josh used is what I go with and it's pretty painless.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Tear the pots apart with snips and cut them flush, then the feet fall right out.

That area of the board is strong, dont be shy.
Gollot

Post by Gollot »

Guile wrote:I'm considering trying to do the GBS control mod but I am not very good at soldering.

I removed them a couple of weeks ago and if you want to remove them without destroying them they are a pain to remove since they are soldered with the legs bent, if you don't care about them it is much easier to cut them off and then clean the solder residue.
Guile

Post by Guile »

Is there such a thing as a "knockoff" gbs? I was about to order one but a comment claimed it was a knockoff version. What's the preferred supplier for the gbs board?
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

Guile wrote:Is there such a thing as a "knockoff" gbs? I was about to order one but a comment claimed it was a knockoff version. What's the preferred supplier for the gbs board?
Gbs-8220: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Arcade-Game-RG ... 890.l49286

The 8200's I've bought in the past no longer have ebay listings.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Kaixe Rho

Post by Kaixe Rho »

Alright friends this is my true hour of need, I finally have evidence for suspicion that I've had this whole time:

The colors get greatly changed when using my GBS-control. Please help I have no idea what's going on.

https://screenshotcomparison.com/compar ... /picture:0

This is resident evil (wii) outputting in 480p natively on my CRT monitor, being compared against 720p and Source pass through. The GBS resolution is irrelevant, all resolutions have this color warping, 720p matched the geometry of SPT the most.

As you can see, the blue levels on the scaled versions are insanely out of whack. I first saw this with Silent Hill 2 (in 480p via GSM on ps2) and thought I was going insane. I just tried to get pictures on some other games after RE, choosing KoF 98 and Baten Kaitos, but I could barely notice the difference. I think it only affects the really dark games.

Here is a gallery of pictures of my board. If it looks like I've bungled anything please let me know.
Spoiler
I love this thing but now that I've noticed, all my games look way off.
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

The soldering /angle on the green wire looks extremely funky man. You have a lot of exposed conductor perpendicular to other legs on the IC, almost looks like its close to touching? Im not saying it has anything to do with the issue you are having, but I would fix that so it goes straight out away from the IC then turns toward the Arduino.

Interesting issue. Makes me wonder if all GBS-Cs have some kind of blue push. I honestly havent noticed it on my unit other than the lack of black scanlines on solid blue colors. Have you tried adjusting colors via the web interface to see if you can do anything to offset it?

Just curious, how are you feeding a VGA CRT directly from your Wii?
Kaixe Rho

Post by Kaixe Rho »

Josh128 wrote:Just curious, how are you feeding a VGA CRT directly from your Wii?
I mean, I'm using the "source pass through" option of the GBS-Control, receiving and exporting 480p but in a way the VGA monitor appreciates.
You have a lot of exposed conductor perpendicular to other legs on the IC, almost looks like its close to touching? [...]
I would fix that so it goes straight out away from the IC then turns toward the Arduino.
I should have mentioned, most of this is new to me so I don't really follow. This was my first time soldering, so it very probably might have been user error, which is why I posted the pictures of the board. If this isn't something I've done wrong, it might be something I haven't done yet.
Have you tried adjusting colors via the web interface to see if you can do anything to offset it?
I didn't know this was possible. Would it be somewhere on the development section?

Thanks for the help.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

I have a GBSC premade from Thingiverse and I'm trying to update. When I connect to USB It isn't recognized properly in Device Manager. Are there proper drivers for the module? The PORT selection in the Arduino software is unavailable.
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

Yeah, it wont show up properly in Windows 10 AFAIK. Just find the device that does show up and follow the wiki exactly, it should still work.
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

Kaixe Rho wrote:]
I didn't know this was possible. Would it be somewhere on the development section?

Thanks for the help.
I might be mistaken-- I actually cant see any color adjustment in the menu. Maybe its not possible after all.
leboljoef

Post by leboljoef »

Hi All
I'm having a hard time compiling the firmware on the arduino ODE

Here is the error code that gets thrown out (I'm on OSX)

Arduino: 1.8.13 (Mac OS X), Board: "LOLIN(WEMOS) D1 R2 & mini, 160 MHz, Flash, Disabled, 4M (1M SPIFFS), v2 Lower Memory, Disabled, None, Only Sketch, 921600"

/Users/joeffrey/Desktop/gbs-control/gbs-control.ino: In member function 'size_t SerialMirror::write(const char*, size_t)':
gbs-control:290:28: error: invalid conversion from 'const char*' to 'const uint8_t* {aka const unsigned char*}' [-fpermissive]
Serial.write(data, size);
^
In file included from /Users/joeffrey/Library/Arduino15/packages/esp8266/hardware/esp8266/2.5.0/cores/esp8266/Arduino.h:263:0,
from sketch/gbs-control.ino.cpp:1:
/Users/joeffrey/Library/Arduino15/packages/esp8266/hardware/esp8266/2.5.0/cores/esp8266/HardwareSerial.h:171:12: error: initializing argument 1 of 'virtual size_t HardwareSerial::write(const uint8_t*, size_t)' [-fpermissive]
size_t write(const uint8_t *buffer, size_t size) override
^
exit status 1
invalid conversion from 'const char*' to 'const uint8_t* {aka const unsigned char*}' [-fpermissive]

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
option enabled in File -> Preferences.
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

Josh128 wrote:
Kaixe Rho wrote:]

Thanks for the help.
I might be mistaken-- I actually cant see any color adjustment in the menu. Maybe its not possible after all.
There is no individual color adjustment, only gain.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

Josh128 wrote:Yeah, it wont show up properly in Windows 10 AFAIK. Just find the device that does show up and follow the wiki exactly, it should still work.
Oh that's a weird quirk. Tried on a WIN7 PC and I think it updated. If I get the new interface, it updated right?
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

If you had an old interface before, yes, it did.
Guile

Post by Guile »

I did the ugliest soldering I've ever seen and I'm amazed it actually worked but I'm very pleased with the gbs control. I recommend anyone curious about it to try making one.

It finally solved the ossc sync drop on resolution switching, the downscaling feature is great, and the web interface is so convenient. The deinterlacing and scaling is very good too. This makes a great companion to the ossc.

Does anyone know if removing the color pots is necessary or not? A few people don't remove them and it was pretty hard.

I also have a weird issue when downscaling it seems like if it switches to 480i then the colors go odd like it's missing green. I assume this is some kind of glitch. It goes back to normal if I do a quick switch back.
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

Guile wrote:
Does anyone know if removing the color pots is necessary or not? A few people don't remove them and it was pretty hard.
It is not required, but recommended. if you do not remove the pots:
1) You will not be able to use the GAIN button in the web UI (I believe this also includes the auto gain feature)
2) You will have to manually color balance across all colors, any time you wish to adjust colors or gain
AGC Retrogaming

Post by AGC Retrogaming »

Hi everyone, I'm new in this forum, so I'm sorry if this subject has been discussed before. but I could not find any information related.

does this firmware has any feature as:

- Rotate 90º for vertical games for example.
- Flip the imagine so show on screen the image inverted horizontal.

I'm not sure if it is possible, or requires to much effort to develop this code. but just let me know your thoughts about it.

Thanks in advance, and awesome improvement thought.
AGC Retrogaming
twotone8

Post by twotone8 »

Is there an affordable option out there for purchasing a Male SCART to HD15(VGA) cable for use with connecting one of the outputs from a GScartSW to the inputs for a GBS-C?

I tried using the Retro-Access VGA to SCART cable, but apparently it's wired to only go one way.
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

You are going to pay basically the price of the GBS-C itself for a cable. You either need to make one yourself, or get a 3D print of the Jeff Chen case and then you can just install a SCART connector like this.
Spoiler
Guile

Post by Guile »

NoAffinity wrote:
Guile wrote:
It is not required, but recommended. if you do not remove the pots:
1) You will not be able to use the GAIN button in the web UI (I believe this also includes the auto gain feature)
2) You will have to manually color balance across all colors, any time you wish to adjust colors or gain
Thanks for the explanation, I'm glad I did it then. I wonder why that solder seems much harder to remove.
Guile

Post by Guile »

I have an HD Box Pro which apparently uses the same chip as the gbs-8200. On the original gbs mod github by dooklink it mentions possibly supporting it.

Does anyone know if it is possible to mod the HD Box to become a gbs control? Seeing as it's such a vast improvement it would be fun to have another.