Sony Trinitron U.S. assembly line ''HOW IT'S MADE'' episode

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
FinalBaton

Sony Trinitron U.S. assembly line ''HOW IT'S MADE'' episode

Post by FinalBaton »

I stumbled upon this video that was uploaded 5 days ago. It's a ''HOW IT'S MADE'' episode on the manufacturing of Trinitrons. This is explained in layman term and doesn't delve into the electronics, but it's still really cool and I'm sure people here will dig it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVLVaoA-fic
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Guspaz

Re: Sony Trinitron U.S. assembly line ''HOW IT'S MADE'' epis

Post by Guspaz »

It's a Sony marketing video rather than an episode of "How It's Made", but it's still a good watch. It also illustrates quite conclusively why nobody is going to spin up a new CRT manufacturing line any time soon: not only would the cost be insane, but it's quite likely that a lot of research would need to be done from scratch if it wasn't being done under license (assuming any company who made good CRTs even still has enough documentation around to build one if they wanted to).
Mad Grab

Post by Mad Grab »

Awesome! Thanks
jd213

Post by jd213 »

Wish I knew about this Sony Technology place in Pittsburgh back when I lived there. But I assume they didn't actually sell the 36" Wegas there, and not like I could have gotten it home on the bus anyway...
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

Great video!
Osirus

Post by Osirus »

Guspaz wrote:It's a Sony marketing video rather than an episode of "How It's Made", but it's still a good watch. It also illustrates quite conclusively why nobody is going to spin up a new CRT manufacturing line any time soon: not only would the cost be insane, but it's quite likely that a lot of research would need to be done from scratch if it wasn't being done under license (assuming any company who made good CRTs even still has enough documentation around to build one if they wanted to).
Yeah this video would really be a gutshot to the occasional "why can't we just do a Kickstarter to produce new CRTs?" poster.
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

Osirus wrote:
Guspaz wrote:It's a Sony marketing video rather than an episode of "How It's Made", but it's still a good watch. It also illustrates quite conclusively why nobody is going to spin up a new CRT manufacturing line any time soon: not only would the cost be insane, but it's quite likely that a lot of research would need to be done from scratch if it wasn't being done under license (assuming any company who made good CRTs even still has enough documentation around to build one if they wanted to).
Yeah this video would really be a gutshot to the occasional "why can't we just do a Kickstarter to produce new CRTs?" poster.

lol no shit! Just forming the thick glass tube is a huge industrial undertaking in itself, much less everything else involved. Making a small monochrome CRT for use in something like oscilloscopes would be much easier, due to a solid color phosphor coating, one gun, and no mask-- but once you step up to RGB it gets A LOT more complicated very quickly!