RetroTINK 5x-Pro

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
mikechi2

Re: RetroTINK 5x-Pro

Post by mikechi2 »

RocketBelt wrote:It would be great if the scart socket could accept the PS2's SOG as well.
Sorry man, no can do there. The SCART port strictly follows the standard which means composite video is used for sync. But you can use it as a spare composite port with the adapter! (probably not what you want to hear).
Gara

Post by Gara »

mikechi2 wrote:
RocketBelt wrote:It would be great if the scart socket could accept the PS2's SOG as well.
Sorry man, no can do there. The SCART port strictly follows the standard which means composite video is used for sync. But you can use it as a spare composite port with the adapter! (probably not what you want to hear).
Does that mean no YPbPr over scart as well? That'll be a real bummer to work around. In order to only use a single cable I use a Gscartsw to insert YPbPr into my Scart output.
Tempest_2084

Post by Tempest_2084 »

Will the PS2 work with the 5X if you run the output through something like an Extron Rxi?
RocketBelt

Post by RocketBelt »

mikechi2 wrote:
Cool thanks for confirming. Like you say PS2 owners can get component cables anyway.
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

mikechi2 wrote:
Einzelherz wrote:This might be dumb and I don't think I saw it covered here, but for the component inputs, are those limited to YCbCr/YUV/whatever it's technically called or can they also take RGB in any way?
In theory you can run RGsB through the RCA ports, but the only console where this might matter is PS2 and it already supports component.
Shortly after I posted I realized what I wanted was a 6th jack for RGBs but that's probably asking a lot.

I'm also one of the rare idiots who would use it :)
strayan

Post by strayan »

Just posted in another thread:
jdawg131 wrote:I received my OSSC this past Sunday, and have been in heaven. I have it connected to a Hisense H9G (4K) and it works with damn near every setting that I've tried with the OSSC. My 240p consoles work perfectly with Line3x (I prefer 720p with scanlines)
kilauea

Post by kilauea »

Forgive my immense stupidity here, but would the RT5x help me out with scaling to a 4:3 ratio on a 1440p monitor?

I use an AOC AGON AG273Qx whci is great for retroarch but with my PS2 I can't use my Retrotink (classic, Scart or rad2x - i have a collection!) because it sees 480p as a 16:9 resolution and refuses to do 4:3. I have messed with the timings on the OSSC to get a 4:3 640x480 image at 2x and also output the odd 480p game as the vesa resolution. I also tried the Mclassic which forces a 4:3 in retro mode, but its actually narrower than 4:3 and it destroys the image! I'm going to try and build a GBS control this weekend, 50/50 it will work or will be destroyed by my ham-fisted soldering.

The monitor also won't engage low-lag mode if it's not 16:9, which is annoying but it's still a relatively fast panel.

So yeah, 4:3 image on a monitor that likes to be a dick about resolutions it accepts as 4:3. Will the rt5x help in this regard or do I need an external scaler or somesuch?

Sorry again if this is dumb question.
mikechi2

Post by mikechi2 »

strayan wrote:Just posted in another thread:
jdawg131 wrote:I received my OSSC this past Sunday, and have been in heaven. I have it connected to a Hisense H9G (4K) and it works with damn near every setting that I've tried with the OSSC. My 240p consoles work perfectly with Line3x (I prefer 720p with scanlines)
Not a good comparison as the old OSSC doesn't have a polyphase scaler. I'm being obstinate now, but I'd really like to move away from obsolete formats. I guess the point I'm trying to make is that you're achieving the look you want purely due to a random combination of your TV's scaling and the OSSC integer scaling. I think it's better to achieve the same look in a controlled manner on the scaler itself while outputting a modern resolution.

Although that 768 (?) plasma shot was SICK.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Maybe some pictures of scanlines in action on the polyphase scaler 1080p video would go a long way to appease the 3X/720p crowd.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

What's the maximum input resolution of the 5x? If I feed it an 800x600 or 1280x720 signal, is it cable of doubling those to 1600x1200 or 2560x1440?
strayan

Post by strayan »

mikechi2 wrote:
strayan wrote:Just posted in another thread:
Not a good comparison as the old OSSC doesn't have a polyphase scaler. I'm being obstinate now, but I'd really like to move away from obsolete formats. I guess the point I'm trying to make is that you're achieving the look you want purely due to a random combination of your TV's scaling and the OSSC integer scaling. I think it's better to achieve the same look in a controlled manner on the scaler itself while outputting a modern resolution.

Although that 768 (?) plasma shot was SICK.
Alright Mike, I hereby abase myself before you and am publicly begging you for this feature. This is what I am reduced to. I am not a man, I grovel like a dog. I have humiliated myself.

It is taking advantage of a combination of the physical pixel structure of the TV and integer scaling but it wasn’t purely random coincidence. It was a deliberate choice. Scaliness at 1080p just aren’t where they are meant to be (they don’t line up properly) unless you do 5x and crop to 1080p - a feature that Bob from retro rgb always praises: https://www.retrorgb.com/mister-1080p-5 ... sting.html

The polyphase scaling feature is awesome. It it would be perfect for scaling 480p to 1366x768 :wink: . But 720p in a 1366x768 frame just looks so good to me:

https://imgur.com/a/DpH9gjC
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

^^^

Damn that looks good. I'd be happy to see more shots of Shadows of the Empire. :D
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

imagine using fake scanlines like just buy a CRT lmao
mikechi2

Post by mikechi2 »

Guspaz wrote:What's the maximum input resolution of the 5x? If I feed it an 800x600 or 1280x720 signal, is it cable of doubling those to 1600x1200 or 2560x1440?
Maximum input resolution is 1080i and 720p (bob'ed to 1080p and passed thru, respectively). I'm not sure if 800 x 600 works.
mikechi2

Post by mikechi2 »

strayan wrote: Alright Mike, I hereby abase myself before you and am publicly begging you for this feature. This is what I am reduced to. I am not a man, I grovel like a dog. I have humiliated myself.

It is taking advantage of a combination of the physical pixel structure of the TV and integer scaling but it wasn’t purely random coincidence. It was a deliberate choice. Scaliness at 1080p just aren’t where they are meant to be (they don’t line up properly) unless you do 5x and crop to 1080p - a feature that Bob from retro rgb always praises: https://www.retrorgb.com/mister-1080p-5 ... sting.html

The polyphase scaling feature is awesome. It it would be perfect for scaling 480p to 1366x768 :wink: . But 720p in a 1366x768 frame just looks so good to me:

Alright com'on dude, please don't do that, haha. Let me just get the details right? You want 240p sources scaled 3x into a 1366 x 768 frame, right? I'm slammed with the release firmware but I promise it'll be on the list for a firmware update (and ahead of PAL optimization, lmao).
strayan

Post by strayan »

mikechi2 wrote:
strayan wrote: Alright Mike, I hereby abase myself before you and am publicly begging you for this feature. This is what I am reduced to. I am not a man, I grovel like a dog. I have humiliated myself.

Alright com'on dude, please don't do that, haha. Let me just get the details right? You want 240p sources scaled 3x into a 1366 x 768 frame, right? I'm slammed with the release firmware but I promise it'll be on the list for a firmware update (and ahead of PAL optimization, lmao).
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Yep, 240p x3 displayed at 720p (with blank lines every 3rd line, not alternating) in a 768p (1366x768 reduced blanking if possible) frame so the image will be displayed with a black border 24 pixels thick at the top and bottom (a bit thicker if you take into account not all 240p games fill the 240p frame and can be displayed at 224p etc). Hope that makes sense.

Seriously dude, no rush, but thank you so so much!!!
orange808

Post by orange808 »

@mikechi
Could tate mode be a possibility somewhere down the road?
We apologise for the inconvenience
Tempest_2084

Post by Tempest_2084 »

mikechi2 wrote:
Would the PS2 work with the 5X if you run the output through something like an Extron Rxi to convert the sync to the correct type?

Does the PSP output RGB or is that limited to Component?
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Tempest_2084 wrote: Would the PS2 work with the 5X if you run the output through something like an Extron Rxi to convert the sync to the correct type?

Does the PSP output RGB or is that limited to Component?
You don't have to use SOG for the PS2. Using Luma for sync is common on many of the cables. As far as the Rxi goes, I've seen varying results coming from the PS2, but generally they seem to work okay as long as you don't use ADSP, which is necessary to enable centering controls.
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

nmalinoski wrote: but PS1, PS2, GameCube, Wii, Xbox, only provide sync on composite/luma and will need a sync stripper in order to use one of Extron's RGB interfaces.
Extron RGB's can process YPbPr just fine if you enable sync on green. I even got s-video to work on them, feeding Y to G
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Now look what you all have done to the poor PAL users! Lol
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
energizerfellow‌

Post by energizerfellow‌ »

mikechi2 wrote: Alright com'on dude, please don't do that, haha. Let me just get the details right? You want 240p sources scaled 3x into a 1366 x 768 frame, right? I'm slammed with the release firmware but I promise it'll be on the list for a firmware update (and ahead of PAL optimization, lmao).
If you're going to do a WXGA 768p option, you may want to consider an extra 1024x768 option for older 4:3 flat panels and PC CRTs. XGA is dead. Long live XGA.
kilauea

Post by kilauea »

to answer my own (clearly very dumb) question, I built the gbs-c today and looks like I get proper aspect out of my ps2 (monitor running "wide", image is perfect 4:3).
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

mikechi2 wrote: Alright com'on dude, please don't do that, haha. Let me just get the details right? You want 240p sources scaled 3x into a 1366 x 768 frame, right? I'm slammed with the release firmware but I promise it'll be on the list for a firmware update (and ahead of PAL optimization, lmao).
Mike, you get this feature going and you have a guaranteed sale for me. My bedroom plasma is 1024x768 anamorphic and this res should scale perfectly on it. Will the 5X have horizontal picture stretch/squeeze options if tweaking is necessary?

You are the man. I am bummed that the GBS Control box does not have a 1024x768 option. I was told by the dev it can do it, but he is swamped and doesnt have time to implement the mode. Thanks for listening to the community, I know its more work, but trust that the more features it has, the more necessary the box becomes to everyone!
energizerfellow‌ wrote: If you're going to do a WXGA 768p option, you may want to consider an extra 1024x768 option for older 4:3 flat panels and PC CRTs. XGA is dead. Long live XGA.
At the risk of sounding like a bunch of needy, annoying children, I second this. Native res of my plasma.
Last edited by Josh128 on Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

Something optimized for 1024x768 would definitely be a cool addition for a future FW update, great for people who have CRT presentation monitors or older PC CRTs :)
Roguma

Post by Roguma »

Can we expect the retrotink 5x within a few months or is still a while away? I've been quite excited about it!
mikechi2

Post by mikechi2 »

orange808 wrote:@mikechi
Could tate mode be a possibility somewhere down the road?
Hmm probably not. The read/write patterns might be beyond what the SDRAM bandwidth and latency can handle
mikechi2

Post by mikechi2 »

strayan wrote:
mikechi2 wrote:

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Yep, 240p x3 displayed at 720p (with blank lines every 3rd line, not alternating) in a 768p (1366x768 reduced blanking if possible) frame so the image will be displayed with a black border 24 pixels thick at the top and bottom (a bit thicker if you take into account not all 240p games fill the 240p frame and can be displayed at 224p etc). Hope that makes sense.

Seriously dude, no rush, but thank you so so much!!!
Not at all guys, happy to make this happen :)
Josh128 wrote:
Mike, you get this feature going and you have a guaranteed sale for me. My bedroom plasma is 1024x768 anamorphic and this res should scale perfectly on it. Will the 5X have horizontal picture stretch/squeeze options if tweaking is necessary?

You are the man. I am bummed that the GBS Control box does not have a 1024x768 option. I was told by the dev it can do it, but he is swamped and doesnt have time to implement the mode. Thanks for listening to the community, I know its more work, but trust that the more features it has, the more necessary the box becomes to everyone!
energizerfellow‌ wrote: If you're going to do a WXGA 768p option, you may want to consider an extra 1024x768 option for older 4:3 flat panels and PC CRTs. XGA is dead. Long live XGA.
At the risk of sounding like a bunch of needy, annoying children, I second this. Native res of my plasma.
Yeah, the ‘generic’ sampling modes can project the source into both 4:3 and 16:9 aspect ratios
Roguma wrote:Can we expect the retrotink 5x within a few months or is still a while away? I've been quite excited about it!
We had to do an emergency redesign due to the ongoing semiconductor crisis (otherwise no RT5X until 2022, lmao), but it's in production so very soon now.
Atariboy

Post by Atariboy »

Out of curiosity, will it have a Playstation Portable specific mode?

Due to the lack of upscaling capabilities, the PSP's native component tv output results in the game display being heavily windowed on a television. Worse than that since many HDTV's can zoom in is that the aspect ratio also is very noticeably messed up (As I vaguely recall, it's due to the PSP's pixel proportions being different than a television's).

Past the usual basic adjustments like setting the tv to display a SD source in 4:3 or stretched, many tv's don't allow for fine adjustments to the aspect ratio. And many more don't let you do anything if the source it's receiving is HD. Would be very handy for PSP gaming if this could zoom in and correct the aspect ratio.
zarkFR

Post by zarkFR »

Hi Mike, first thank you for your hard work, can't wait to get my hands on your 5x Pro !

Can you tell us if the photo on your twitter header is the final release ? The SCART connector seems mounted in the wrong direction (cable will go in front of the 5x in most setups).