Sony closing PS3/vita/psp stores

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
dmk1198

Sony closing PS3/vita/psp stores

Post by dmk1198 »

I loaded up on
Gradius V £7.99
Shienryu/ GEKI-OH SHOOTING KING £3.99
SONIC WINGS SPECIAL £3.99
GAIA SEED: PROJECT SEED TRAP £3.99!!!
Gradius collection psp £3.99!!

Any other recommendations?
Be quick or loose em forever
Cheers guys

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021 ... tal-stores

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk
Lord British

Re: Sony closing PS3/vita/psp stores

Post by Lord British »

Harmful Park
Gunner's Heaven
Panzer Bandit
Adventures Of Little Ralph
MachineAres 1CC

Post by MachineAres 1CC »

There's way too many shmups to count between those 3 consoles, but many are not available digitally in the West or digitally at all. This just forced me to finally jailbreak my Vita and load all the games I wanted to preserve that way, since Sony obviously doesn't give a fuck about keeping games available for people.

If I had to choose favorites, and you only have access to the Western storefront:

Vita:
Darius Burst CS
Fast Striker
Super Hydorah
Gundemoniums

PSP:
Strikers 1945 Plus
NeoGeo Heroes Ultimate Shooting

PS3:
Under Defeat
Space Invaders Infinity Gene
Namco Museum Essentials
Mamorukun Curse!

PCE stuff on PS platforms:
Soldier Blade
Super Star Soldier

PS1 stuff:
Xevious CD G
Zanac x Zanac
Mobile Light Force (maybe..it's just a Westernized port of Gunbird 1)
Last edited by MachineAres 1CC on Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JUST A COUPLE MORE SHOTS です
Achievements/trophies|1CC List
Twitch|Genesis Shmups project
XBL & PSN: IDOLxISxDEAD
dmk1198

Post by dmk1198 »

MachineAres 1CC wrote:There's way too many shmups to count between those 3 consoles, but many are not available digitally in the West or digitally at all. This just forced me to finally jailbreak my Vita and load all the games I wanted to preserve that way, since Sony obviously doesn't give a fuck about keeping games available for people.

If I had to choose favorites, and you only have access to the Western storefront:

Vita:
Darius Burst CS
Fast Striker
Super Hydorah
Gundemoniums

PSP:
Strikers 1945 Plus

PS3:
Under Defeat
Namco Museum Essentials
Mamorukun Curse!

Soldier Blade
Super Star Soldier

PS1 stuff:
Xevious CD G
Zanac x Zanac
Mobile Light Force (maybe..)
That's great list
Cant find zanac v zanac on UK store
Ridiculous really that u can't find minis or PS1 classics in their own sections and they don't show up on main list
Unless u know what u looked for you screwed!

KayBur

Post by KayBur »

MachineAres 1CC wrote:There's way too many shmups to count between those 3 consoles, but many are not available digitally in the West or digitally at all. This just forced me to finally jailbreak my Vita and load all the games I wanted to preserve that way, since Sony obviously doesn't give a fuck about keeping games available for people.

Vita:
Darius Burst CS
Fast Striker
Super Hydorah
Gundemoniums

PSP:
Strikers 1945 Plus

PS3:
Under Defeat
Namco Museum Essentials
Mamorukun Curse!

Soldier Blade
Super Star Soldier

PS1 stuff:
Xevious CD G
Zanac x Zanac
Thanks! I haven't even heard of some games. Although, it is hardly possible to know all existing games at all.
FX102A

Post by FX102A »

On the JP PS3 / PS Vita store I know of the following PS1 & PCE shm’ups and run n guns:

PCE:

Aldynes
Blazing Lazers
Gate of Thunder
Lords of Thunder
Salamander
Soldier Blade
Super Star Soldier

PS1:

Donpachi
Dodonpachi
Einhander
G Darius
Gaia Seed
Gunners Heaven / Rapid Reload
R-Type Delta
R-Types
Shienryu
Sonic Wings Special
Strikers 1945 II
Thunderforce V
Wolf Fang
Zanac x Zanac

Several are also available in the EU & NA stores, but Japan definitely has the most.

Other JP PS1 games I’ve found but yet to buy are:

Cotton
EOS Edge of Skyhigh
Fantasy Zone Complete Collection
Harmful Park
Raiden
Ray Crisis
Ray Storm
The Game Paradise

Also the PSP remake of Star Soldier is also available on the JP PSN, whilst there are some titles on the 2 PSP Capcom Classic Collections.
MachineAres 1CC

FX102A wrote:On the JP PS3 / PS Vita store I know of the following PS1 & PCE shm’ups and run n guns:
There are lots more on JP PSN, but since OP was only asking about the Western storefronts, I just included those. Both Cotton games for PS1, the Twinkle Star Sprites for PS2, and quite a few others you didn't have in your list are also available for those who have JP PSN accounts.
scrilla4rella

Post by scrilla4rella »

Also LSD: Dream Simulator.

I've not played it, but it should get a nod because of its place in infamy,

it good to get some of these lists down. I have most of these already. The technical issues with these PS1 (and other) games on PS3/Vita (such as lag) make them less essential IMO. Still important games to have access to. Goddammit Sony!
dmk1198

Post by dmk1198 »

MachineAres 1CC wrote:
FX102A wrote:On the JP PS3 / PS Vita store I know of the following PS1 & PCE shm’ups and run n guns:
There are lots more on JP PSN, but since OP was only asking about the Western storefronts, I just included those. Both Cotton games for PS1, the Twinkle Star Sprites for PS2, and quite a few others you didn't have in your list are also available for those who have JP PSN accounts.
I'm not sticking to just western store, happy to hear what's out there /anywhere! Thnx

Queen Charlene

Post by Queen Charlene »

the stores going means that they're probably gonna disconnect PSN from the PS3 very soon too. guess it's time to finally jailbreak mine. :|

i had a feeling this would happen eventually. Sony just doesn't give a shit about preserving the history of titles on their system once they stop becoming profitable and it's a damn shame, because they've got a collection of great works that are pretty much going to disappear, if they haven't already. my copy of Marvel 2 on my PS3 probably makes the console itself a lot more valuable, lol.
MachineAres 1CC

Queen Charlene wrote:the stores going means that they're probably gonna disconnect PSN from the PS3 very soon too. guess it's time to finally jailbreak mine. :|

i had a feeling this would happen eventually. Sony just doesn't give a shit about preserving the history of titles on their system once they stop becoming profitable and it's a damn shame, because they've got a collection of great works that are pretty much going to disappear, if they haven't already. my copy of Marvel 2 on my PS3 probably makes the console itself a lot more valuable, lol.
Yup! Never a better time than now. There's even some nifty apps for jailbroken PS3s and Vitas that allow you to download games right onto your system using a sort of "spoofed" PSN store that has all content from all regions. It's been a breeze to get my game libraries optimized on them with this system (besides the super old/slow and outdated network cards in both the Vita and PS3..)
Lord British

Post by Lord British »

KayBur wrote:

Vita:
Darius Burst CS
Fast Striker
Super Hydorah
Gundemoniums

PSP:
Strikers 1945 Plus

PS3:
Under Defeat
Namco Museum Essentials
Mamorukun Curse!

Soldier Blade
Super Star Soldier

PS1 stuff:
Xevious CD G
Zanac x Zanac
Thanks! I haven't even heard of some games. Although, it is hardly possible to know all existing games at all.
I'm pretty sure R-Type Delta is not on PSN
MachineAres 1CC

Lord British wrote:I'm pretty sure R-Type Delta is not on PSN
Did you quote the wrong post? I didn't say it was.
Last edited by MachineAres 1CC on Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

I know it was at some point bc I have it DLed on my PSP. Guess they might've delisted it?
pablumatic

Post by pablumatic »

All the R-Type games were delisted sometime in the summer of 2012 when IREM went defunct. There was a one-week or so heads-up at the time telling everyone to grab them.

Namco Museum Essentials was also delisted sometime between 2017 and 2018. I don't believe anyone got notice that it was getting delisted ahead of time.

This mass delisting is the worst I've seen. Over 2,000 games and only a few months to buy them if you want them legally as digital downloads. This could be very expensive for some who have a big wish list. Far more expensive than when the Wii Shop channel's plug was pulled since most of those games were cheaper. We also got a six month heads-up on that closure as well.

I'll never understand when companies do this and harm consumer confidence. Especially when more and more they are trying to push for a digital-download only future. Like Sony producing a digital-exclusive PS5 console.

Steam on PC has never done this and I hope even more now that games stay on PC rather than risk erasure on console gaming services.
MachineAres 1CC

pablumatic wrote:Namco Museum Essentials was also delisted sometime between 2017 and 2018. I don't believe anyone got notice that it was getting delisted ahead of time.
Huh, didn't know about that.
This mass delisting is the worst I've seen. Over 2,000 games and only a few months to buy them if you want them legally as digital downloads. This could be very expensive for some who have a big wish list.
I think it's the worst in history so far, since digital games are kind of a relatively new thing. Even worse, now that you mention it, Sony also killed the Wishlist function on PSN late last year, so I even lost track of most of the games I was kinda interested in, and I have no motivation to even go track them down again. Fuck Sony. It's just less purchases for them in the end because of all these policies, so I can't even see how this mass delisting benefits them at all. The servers to host all the data of these old games can't even be that much of a strain on their business or bandwidth in the grand scheme of things.

Fuck Sony.
Lord British

Post by Lord British »

MachineAres 1CC wrote:
Lord British wrote:I'm pretty sure R-Type Delta is not on PSN
Did you quote the wrong post? I didn't say it was.
Yes, wrong quote my apologies
Atariboy

Post by Atariboy »

Anyone having trouble downloading their purchases on the PS3? There's a fair number of reports swirling of error codes impeding people's ability to download their games in recent days.

I haven't yet made my final purchases (I have about $100 worth of games on my wishlist), but I'm hoping it clears up shortly so I won't have any difficulty. It's hopefully gotten enough press that Sony will have to investigate and fix it.
MachineAres 1CC

It seems Sony have now mostly backpedaled on this decision, and are now only closing the PSP store, but the PS3 and Vita stores will remain open until further notice (who knows when that will be.)

https://www.theverge.com/2021/4/19/2239 ... nd-mistake

Sad that it took a month of consumer outrage for them to finally "make good decisions" but it's better than nothing. I think the damage is already done for many people who have lost faith in their brand, but that's all on them now.
pablumatic

Post by pablumatic »

I'm glad public outcry did something here.
Astro City II

Post by Astro City II »

Public outcry did nothing, They saw the huge amount of money being spent in the last week.
headlesshobbs

Post by headlesshobbs »

If they had any sense they would ask publishers about restoring some of the exclusive games that were previously delisted.
"Don't HD my SD!!"
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

headlesshobbs wrote:If they had any sense they would ask publishers about restoring some of the exclusive games that were previously delisted.
In a perfect world, yes, but a lot of times that has to do with system firmware updates making games incompatible and devs lacking the resources or funds to go back and update old games to make them work again.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
pablumatic

Post by pablumatic »

Astro City II wrote:Public outcry did nothing, They saw the huge amount of money being spent in the last week.
By saying the stores aren't closing that money will stop getting spent and then they'll be back to their desire to close it for monetary reasons.
MachineAres 1CC

pablumatic wrote:
Astro City II wrote:Public outcry did nothing, They saw the huge amount of money being spent in the last week.
By saying the stores aren't closing that money will stop getting spent and then they'll be back to their desire to close it for monetary reasons.
Exactly. I think public display of distrust and disinterest in their brand probably means a lot more than the petty dollars that were being spent on Vita and PS3 games in the last few weeks.
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

I'm sure it did matter. Since 1997 I've gotten every platform they're ever put out, most multiple times. But the notion that any purchases on a PlayStation are effectively just a long-term rental has me really put off the PS5.

Because it's not just about digital purchases, even if you go 100% physical the hardware's basic long-term functionality is tied to the network. If you effect major repairs or replace the CMOS battery (which you will eventually need to), the console needs to connect to PSN to authenticate. If it can't, the console literally can't work.

Anybody who's still playing their Saturn knows the value in good hardware that can last 25 years.
gray117

Post by gray117 »

Between this and idiots like Jim Ryan getting to be a mouth piece, Sony has been pissing away their brand heritage and customer goodwill recently.

I'd be surprised if it cost much to keep this ticking over especially if they were still to allow downloads.

It kind of doesn't matter how used these services are - removing them undermines confidence in your current positions and any fans will feel cast aside.

You can understand why Sony might look at Nintendo or Apple and wish they could behave like them, but doing so undermines the identity they've built over the last 25 years. It's just a shame they don't seem to value this.