Monolith

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
BareKnuckleRoo

Re: Monolith

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Yeah, I know you said before you'd given up on ChaosGod but congrats on clearing it. ;) Because you're pretty much guaranteed to be reduced to the peashooter at some point, Temple runs and the whole no ammo thing inevitably become about stocking up on damage as much as possible beforehand. Getting a lucky weapon container with something decent prior to Warden helps since you won't be able to bring anything along at max ammo. Felt very one-sided in terms of item selection strategy, whereas in the original release damage % was a helpful bonus, but not an outright necessity as plenty of decent weapon combos existed that worked well at or near the base damage level.
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:Yeah, I know you said before you'd given up on ChaosGod but congrats on clearing it. ;) Because you're pretty much guaranteed to be reduced to the peashooter at some point, Temple runs and the whole no ammo thing inevitably become about stocking up on damage as much as possible beforehand. Getting a lucky weapon container with something decent prior to Warden helps since you won't be able to bring anything along at max ammo. Felt very one-sided in terms of item selection strategy, whereas in the original release damage % was a helpful bonus, but not an outright necessity as plenty of decent weapon combos existed that worked well at or near the base damage level.
I tried again and managed to do it in full. I got SUPER lucky and ran into Renegade in Archives with the 400% ammo buff which I genuinely think got an appearance rate nerf.

https://youtu.be/7hjmTxpsMvg

Only showed the fights. If I showed the temple in full this video would have been 15 gigs. Pass.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Congrats on beating it!

That seems awfully large for a video of just one floor; you may benefit from tweaking your recording settings so that you get a quality video file without being quite so massive from one recording. O_o What settings are you using to record?
PerishedFraud ឵឵

Post by PerishedFraud ឵឵ »

Yo, use this to prevent giant video uploads.

For further details see here
Fun Over Victory| Shitpost Central | Shmusic Archive | Old Account | tuckfouhou@gmail.com
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:Congrats on beating it!

That seems awfully large for a video of just one floor; you may benefit from tweaking your recording settings so that you get a quality video file without being quite so massive from one recording. O_o What settings are you using to record?
Yeeaaaah...
It's ShadowPlay. I use it just because it's SUPER easy and I don't know anything about video editing. :c
I feel like tweaking settings in the software would murder the output quality. There aren't many settings for the instant replay feature to begin with.
PerishedFraud ឵឵ wrote:Yo, use this to prevent giant video uploads.

For further details see here
Thanks, I'll take a look next time I need a smaller file size.
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

Ok I've pieced together a rough order of events just because I like how this game handles it's mysterious plot.

Overlord seems to have been the first to venture into the facility with an honest goal of destroying the Power. He goes in, fails (in his own words) and is warped by it.

Chaos goes in after him, defeats him, then finds the Machine in his fresh state and wounds it. Whatever Chaos was after I'm not sure, but I assume Machine retreats to seal away the Power after being matched (he doesn't blow up he just gets the scars you see during Null's fight and fades into the darkness). Machine is obviously a defense drone of some sort guarding the Conduit (for cautionary or malevolent purposes) and after his bout with Chaos scatters the seals to the Forbidden, locking himself away with it.

Null and D13 then enter the scene and go in with different motives. Null collects the seals, destroys the injured Machine (who had sealed himself behind that structure) and opens the way to the Conduit, fails like Overlord, and becomes Monolith. I get the feeling he does it intentionally since he's far more optimized than Overlord's form and still has his sentience judging from the secret ending.

With the seals open and the Machine out of the way, D13 is forced to kill his brother.

And I think Arena Blaster is the original base for all of them. I can't think of his quest motive other than to maybe find his origin which is why he goes to Database? Not that he's the only one who can get there or get there first, but he's called Visitor 1 which makes me think he's the first to have found it. I can't think of any other clear spots in the happenings of the 5.

Skully is...I don't care, I hate playing him.

But yeah, this is just how I'm interpreting things.
Some-Mist

Post by Some-Mist »

I'm glad I didn't play it before the updates/changes because I just bought it this steam sale and had a blast getting my first clear even though it's a bit easy. if I experienced it before the changes I'd probably be in the same boat as people upset.

the bullet patterns and charm pulled me in right away and I'm not even huge on most roguelike or twin stick games. nex machina is sick, I don't really care of enter the gungeon, and blazing beaks is somewhere in between. the enjoyment I got out of monolith was somewhere between nex machina (not a roguelike so very loose comparison) and blazing beaks

not sure if I'm gonna keep playing but I know there's a bunch of content I've missed

it was worth the $4 for sure
a creature... half solid half gas