Questions that do not deserve a thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
NewSchoolBoxer

Re: Questions that do not deserve a thread

Post by NewSchoolBoxer »

RottenToTheGore wrote:
bobrocks95 wrote:Any US PSOne power brick alternatives? It takes up 3 plugs on my surge protector even on a spaced out spot meant for large adapters, since the plug isn't close enough to the top of the brick. No other adapter takes up as much space as it does.
When it comes to things like power bricks, I use these
4 pack FTW. Would be useful for my printer power supply. If you're in the market for a new surge protector, Tripp Lite makes some with extra wide spacing between inputs.

I found this thread that says you can use PS2 70000 series slim power supply for PS1. Sony got smarter and didn't have the brick on top of the connector. Guessing PlayStation has a voltage regulator on the input so feeding 8-9V doesn't matter.
pedroTFP wrote:Would you exchange a PVM 1954+100$ for a recapped 2530+flying case?
I've a 20M2 and an L2 already.
I like the advice you got. Also keep in mind the 2030 and 2530 use the weird DB25 connector for RGB. I see Retro Gaming Cables sells a SCART to DB25 adapter for £21 total ($29) to ship to me in the US.
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

GojiFan90 wrote:I have a Sony (consumer grade) CRT that has only composite/SVID inputs. I would like to use my Super NT/Mega SG on it but I'm not sure what the best solution is. Obviously I need to go from HDMI to SVID/composite so I will need some sort of DAC to downscale the output to be compatible.
Portta HDMI to VGA + linuxbot3000 VGA to Svid/composite (eBay seller) or this:

https://www.antoniovillena.es/store/pro ... o-adapter/

And be sure to get the NON-scaling Portta / set the output of your console to 240p! The Portta passes 240p no problem. The non-scaling one is black with blue and white text

linuxbot3000 may be out of stock right now but you can probably see the unit I speak of on his sold listings/can message asking when it’s back in stock
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

And be sure to get the NON-scaling Portta / set the output of your console to 240p! The Portta passes 240p no problem.
unfortunately the Super NT and Mega SG cannot be set to 240p output without connecting the original Analogue DAC.
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

Fudoh wrote:
And be sure to get the NON-scaling Portta / set the output of your console to 240p! The Portta passes 240p no problem.
unfortunately the Super NT and Mega SG cannot be set to 240p output without connecting the original Analogue DAC.
Mannnn, I dislike Analogue more and more! Their DAC is such BS - I would change my tune if it wasn’t locked to only work with their products...
RottenToTheGore

Post by RottenToTheGore »

Anyone use an Extron RGB such as the 201? Wanted to confirm if the buffered monitor input just passes whatever you throw at it through the corresponding BNC outputs.

That way I can send RGB/VGA through the input, and component through buffered monitor.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

RottenToTheGore wrote:Anyone use an Extron RGB such as the 201? Wanted to confirm if the buffered monitor input just passes whatever you throw at it through the corresponding BNC outputs.

That way I can send RGB/VGA through the input, and component through buffered monitor.
If it's what I think it is, the monitor output is just a passthrough of the input; it's not processed in any way--only the BNC connectors output the processed signal; so, if you input RGBHV and have the interface set to output RGsB, the monitor output will provide the original RGBHV, while the BNC outputs will provide RGsB.
RottenToTheGore

Post by RottenToTheGore »

nmalinoski wrote:
RottenToTheGore wrote:Anyone use an Extron RGB such as the 201? Wanted to confirm if the buffered monitor input just passes whatever you throw at it through the corresponding BNC outputs.

If it's what I think it is, the monitor output is just a passthrough of the input; it's not processed in any way--only the BNC connectors output the processed signal; so, if you input RGBHV and have the interface set to output RGsB, the monitor output will provide the original RGBHV, while the BNC outputs will provide RGsB.
Derp, for some reason I was thinking it was an input and not an output. Thanks!
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

I have one of those LG Oled panels, the C9, that only goes into 4:4:4 mode if you set an input to PC mode. It doesn't matter what you name the input but it has to have the PC icon on the home dashboard, I've verified this with the 4:4:4 test pattern.

With PS5, Xbox One X and PC all supporting VRR in their latest incarnations, I don't have enough HDMI ports spare on the telly to have a separate input for blu ray and for PC/Console games, so would leaving the panel in 4:4:4 mode cause any issues with content in 4:2:0 like blu ray?
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
EnragedWhale

Post by EnragedWhale »

@BuckoA51

Are you using a console to play blu rays or do you have a separate player?

I have a similar situation with an LG CX. The problem with using PC mode for blu rays is the TV disables the “real cinema” setting which is needed to get proper 24fps playback.

I settled for leaving the PS5 input on the standard game mode as it’s a better blu ray player than the Xbox. I believe 4:4:4 isn’t really essential for console games anyway and the PS5 currently doesn’t have the HDMI bandwidth to even use it at 4k120fps.

Edit to add: no VRR yet on the PS5 but apparently it’s coming in an update.
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

Are you using a console to play blu rays or do you have a separate player?
I have a dedicated player hooked through my surround sound, but also through the surround sound go my Switch and retro consoles via OSSC.

Might have known there was some caveat like that lol. Ok I'll just change the icon for now when I watch a movie and keep an eye out for an actual 4k120hz capable switch.
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
NewSchoolBoxer

Post by NewSchoolBoxer »

I have the reputable Datapath E1S capture card with DVI-I input. Issue is, I can't connect to it inside this cheap ThinkCentre computer because the metal gate isn't wide enough for the border around DVI plugs. It's so stupid! https://imgur.com/a/XAwtP4v

Even if I remove the desktop cover and adjacent sound card and try to plug into the side, there isn't enough room to turn the plug 90° and connect.
What should I do? Willing to cut off the metal border between the slots but not sure what tool to use. $10 bolt cutter? I have a modern computer but it only has 1 card slot for my graphics card and no integrated graphics.
nolepe

Post by nolepe »

Is there a video signal detector which will show on the LED display what signal is currently going on the wire: 240p or 480i or 480p, NTSC or PAL, sync type.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

nolepe wrote:Is there a video signal detector which will show on the LED display what signal is currently going on the wire: 240p or 480i or 480p, NTSC or PAL, sync type.
OSSC does most of this, though, if you want it as passthrough, you'd probably need to get a distribution amp for whichever format you're using to split the signal between your display and the OSSC.
Kez

Post by Kez »

NewSchoolBoxer wrote:What should I do? Willing to cut off the metal border between the slots but not sure what tool to use. $10 bolt cutter? I have a modern computer but it only has 1 card slot for my graphics card and no integrated graphics.
I would probably just use a pair of flush cutters (I have a cheap, beaten up old pair I use for jobs like this). Just make a little snip at each side and bend the metal until it snaps off, then maybe file the edge a little bit to get rid of any sharp spots. You could also use a rotary tool, or probably the bolt cutter if you have it. The metal is not strong so pretty much anything you use will likely work.
Gara

Post by Gara »

BuckoA51 wrote:I have one of those LG Oled panels, the C9, that only goes into 4:4:4 mode if you set an input to PC mode. It doesn't matter what you name the input but it has to have the PC icon on the home dashboard, I've verified this with the 4:4:4 test pattern.

With PS5, Xbox One X and PC all supporting VRR in their latest incarnations, I don't have enough HDMI ports spare on the telly to have a separate input for blu ray and for PC/Console games, so would leaving the panel in 4:4:4 mode cause any issues with content in 4:2:0 like blu ray?
It's a real problem! I was hoping the 2020 Denon receivers would fix my own problems with a full set of 8 HDMI 2.1 ports. Instead they only put a single 2.1 port on even the high end equipment. I'm hoping 2021 will be better, but I get the feeling that dealing with HDMI 2.1 will continue to be problematic. I miss being able to have an entire port on the TV dedicated to PC Mode.

You'd think they would use the fancy automatic detection tech in the LG TV's to allow for automatic switching to PC mode.
benthrottle

Post by benthrottle »

I have an old tv/tube which doesn't seem to have any horizontal width option under the service menu (only phase/shifting), as well as not having a width coil (which is more common in arcade monitors) on the board. I want to make it a bit narrower.

Question:

Where in the circuit I should look to ? It's an infamous samsung gxe1395 by the way. I RGB modded it but I really wish I could make the screen a tad less wide on the sides.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

benthrottle wrote:
Where in the circuit I should look to ?
It would be in the Horizontal deflection circuitry. Each TV is going to be different and the implementing a new HSIZE control would take understanding the circuit very well. (beyond my skill)
Also, the HOT area is dangerous, so it's not something you should make random changes to without fully knowing what the effect will be. The HOT is directly coupled to the flyback as part of the generation of HV for the anode. So you don't want to be taking stabs in the dark around there.
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

This weekend I discovered that one of the HDMI ports on my plasma has color saturation errors on a few shades. That means I'm now in the market for an HDMI switcher.

Rather than just getting a *.amazon one that I'd ask here for recommendations.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

Einzelherz wrote:This weekend I discovered that one of the HDMI ports on my plasma has color saturation errors on a few shades. That means I'm now in the market for an HDMI switcher.

DirkSwizzler did all the work for you, if you can find these in stock at a reasonable price:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=63585
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Einzelherz wrote:This weekend I discovered that one of the HDMI ports on my plasma has color saturation errors on a few shades. That means I'm now in the market for an HDMI switcher.

This thread has good suggestions: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=63585

Personally, I'm using a Vorke HD41pro (Which I think is no longer available), as well as a pair of SGEYR 5-porters (the 4k@60 model).

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be much in the way automatic HDMI switchers with more than 5 ports, not to mention there are a number of consoles that don't play well with them (like the Xbox One, which doesn't disable its 5V when in sleep mode).
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

nmalinoski wrote:

This thread has good suggestions: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=63585

Personally, I'm using a Vorke HD41pro (Which I think is no longer available), as well as a pair of SGEYR 5-porters (the 4k@60 model).

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be much in the way automatic HDMI switchers with more than 5 ports, not to mention there are a number of consoles that don't play well with them (like the Xbox One, which doesn't disable its 5V when in sleep mode).
I literally posted that right above you.
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

Super thanks!

For some reason I thought that thread was about capturing video and completely forgot about it.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

ldeveraux wrote:I literally posted that right above you.
Oops; I guess I didn't see there was another page of responses.
GojiFan90

Post by GojiFan90 »

Can anyone recommend a "CRT-like" LCD monitor that is currently in production? Obviously nothing can compare to the real thing but I am looking for something low-lag with good black levels, pixel mapping etc. I've heard Viewsonic are pretty good but I've never owned one. OLED monitors are not currently within my budget (though black frame insertion is nice). Thanks.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

GojiFan90 wrote:Can anyone recommend a "CRT-like" LCD monitor that is currently in production? Obviously nothing can compare to the real thing but I am looking for something low-lag with good black levels, pixel mapping etc. I've heard Viewsonic are pretty good but I've never owned one. OLED monitors are not currently within my budget (though black frame insertion is nice). Thanks.
Most older LCDs are actually pretty terrible and the farthest thing from a CRT that can be imagined. It's not really been until the last 10 years or so that LCDs (at least sub $5k LCDs) started to get good enough to mimic the black levels of a CRT, and OLED obviously drove that in a large way.

So, I think the better question might be, "what newer LCDs are starting to be made that might satiate my desire for CRT-like black levels."

Also, you seem to be conscious of price, so that's an issue. "CRT-like" could be use as a benchmark for cutting edge and the most expensive in LCDs. I think the best approach is if you state your budget, and then I or others can make a recommendation. How much you want to spend?
Last edited by vol.2 on Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
strayan

Post by strayan »

GojiFan90 wrote:Can anyone recommend a "CRT-like" LCD monitor that is currently in production? Obviously nothing can compare to the real thing but I am looking for something low-lag with good black levels, pixel mapping etc. I've heard Viewsonic are pretty good but I've never owned one. OLED monitors are not currently within my budget (though black frame insertion is nice). Thanks.
The blur busters approved one:
https://blurbusters.com/faq/120hz-monitors/
GojiFan90

Post by GojiFan90 »

strayan wrote:The blur busters approved one:
https://blurbusters.com/faq/120hz-monitors/
That's perfect and is within my budget. Thank you!
GojiFan90

Post by GojiFan90 »

Sorry for the double post, I'm back with another unrelated question. I've started backing up my game collection to discs and I'm wondering what the best discs to buy for this purpose are. IIRC Taiyo Yuden were once the best but are not anymore because they were bought out or something(?). Apologies but if someone can just give me the TL;DR version of the best blank media for 2021 is it would be super appreciated. Thank you!
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

GojiFan90 wrote:Sorry for the double post, I'm back with another unrelated question. I've started backing up my game collection to discs and I'm wondering what the best discs to buy for this purpose are. IIRC Taiyo Yuden were once the best but are not anymore because they were bought out or something(?). Apologies but if someone can just give me the TL;DR version of the best blank media for 2021 is it would be super appreciated. Thank you!
RITEKs were desired maybe a decade ago, at least for the Gamecube.
クリスチャン

Post by クリスチャン »

Are scanline filters simply overlays that mask existing pixels or do they generate new pixels beneath or above the original pixels? Does this depend on the scanline filter? If so, how does the OSSC behave?