Quick Translation/Tech Help Request

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
BulletMagnet

Quick Translation/Tech Help Request

Post by BulletMagnet »

Was wondering if one of our Japanese-literate members might be willing to give me a quick hand; long story short, I downloaded a demo for a doujin title (this one, to be specific), which played fine, and decided to go ahead and buy the full version...which, unlike said demo, for some reason refuses to work. Whenever I double-click the .exe file I get the following error message:

I also tried copy-pasting the "full" .exe file into the same folder as the demo .exe to see if there might be a file missing, but while it will boot up the initial loading screen, before it can go any further it gives me a slightly different error message:

My computer's non-unicode language is set to Japanese, so that shouldn't be the issue; if anyone is able to tell me what those error messages say it might provide a hint as to what's off-kilter here. Thanks in advance to whomever might be willing to offer an assist, and feel free to let me know if additional information might be helpful.
BIL

Re: Quick Translation/Tech Help Request

Post by BIL »

Please take with a hefty pinch of salt, but pending a JP literate member's input, Yandex gives these, for the first and second messages respectively:

BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Appreciate the effort, BIL - if nothing else I hadn't happened across Yandex before, that might well come in handy.

I also suspect that the "failed to load sound" message might contain a hint; I noticed that the demo folder has a file in it called "audio.mtr" which the full game's folder seems to lack (though it does have "bgm.mtr" and "se.mtr"). Anyone more tech-savvy than me think I'm on the right track?
Lethe

Post by Lethe »

string.dat is the problem file, try copying it from the demo's ./dat/ folder to the full game's.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Just tried copying the demo's "string.dat" file over the one in the full game's folder and it still gave me the first error message, unfortunately. Thanks for the effort, let me know if there's anything else I might try out.
Lethe

Post by Lethe »

Well, it definitely is that file causing the problem, so... permissions issue? File path too long? Mojibake got in there somewhere? Only things I can think of. You could try opening it with a hex editor and looking up string.dat to make sure its expected name hasn't changed since the demo or something.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Lethe wrote:File path too long?
Believe it or not, this actually appears to have been the issue: I shortened the name of the folder I keep the game in and it started right up. :shock: Even with all the oddball doujin titles I own with names a mile long I've never encountered this before.

In any event, many thanks for the help, this is a very nice way to start the weekend! :D Now I can take some screenshots and head over to Yandex to try and figure out what all the options do! :mrgreen:
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

I'm glad to see this had a happy ending and that you got it working.