R-Type Final2

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
qmish

Re: R-Type Final2

Post by qmish »

Shatterhand wrote:I must admit I'm surprised people is giving so much attention to this.

Not developed by Irem, looks bland, sterile and cheap, what we saw from gameplay so far looks generic and boring as hell, the title is stupid* and should had remained a 1st April joke....
Kazuma Kujo worked in Irem since Air Duel and R-Type Delta, and he took other ex-irem (though mostly from Disaster Report era) people with him to found Granzella. This is closest thing ever to be "developed by Irem" in nowodays world. Or you would prefer a release from "actual Irem" who doesn't make anything other than pachinko lately? :roll:

...do any of you cared to read interview i just posted, or took thread bump as a chance to shit on r-type final and r-type final 2 instead, lol? :twisted:
Put your hate/love of RF1 in specially created topic plz viewtopic.php?f=1&t=27443

Also keep in mind that R-Type Final 2 seems to be THE major shmup release since, idk, Dariusburst CS maybe. So it GETS attention of course. Both from shmuppers who are tired much from danmaku, and even from not-really-shmuppers who are just blinded by r-type nostalgia memories or surprised to see a shmup with more or less ok production values once again (last time we had epic fail named sine mora).
BIL

Post by BIL »

I'm glad to see someone with Kujo's CV still active. That said, I'm not putting much stock in him, or anyone else. I'm reminded of the similarly well-accredited and alliterative Nobuya Nakazato, whose name can be found on Contra Spirits and Contra Rogue Corps alike. I've never played the latter, but I did play Neo Contra extensively, and it was a (likeably) bush-league topdown run/gun, one I couldn't see surviving its series' early-90s arcade heyday. I felt the same about R-Type Final.

More recently there was Koji Igarashi, whose Bloodstained: ROTN, while very enjoyable, likewise makes mistakes I'd assume someone with his CV would avoid. This in a series not beholden at all to arcade expectations of conciseness and intensity. Somehow, he and his team turned in an enemy roster less interesting that the ones they'd overseen on GBA and NDS.

Not saying developers like these should be discounted, obviously. Just that they're not talismans. Some of my favourite action games had weak trailers, and/or silly titles, so I'm gonna wait and see on this one. They got my money and ACseraph's demo review has me hopeful. :wink:

EDIT: HTML tag atrocity exhibition
Last edited by BIL on Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
qmish

Post by qmish »

Well, Disaster Report 4 (Granzella's debut title) was questionable as well (and i'm sure some fans of original Disaster Report series felt underwhelming), so it's understandable to be cautious about R-TF2.

However, i feel too much scepticism in air here sometimes :mrgreen:
PerishedFraud ឵឵

Post by PerishedFraud ឵឵ »

Shmups invoke skepicism almost inherently due to their design values and history. They're relatively easy to make compared to most other genres (meaning people can pump out garbage at rapid pace), hard to balance unless you're very experienced with how good shmups work (meaning completely well-meaning people can still fail at making them), and notoriously difficult to present properly for the fanbase, which itself has "subfactions" so to speak. Unless you're a known developer with prior titles to your name, or a long-time player integrated into the community, making a shmup will always be met with skepticism.
Fun Over Victory| Shitpost Central | Shmusic Archive | Old Account | tuckfouhou@gmail.com
prophetic

Post by prophetic »

I think skepticism is warranted since they still haven't given backers access to the demo they were promised! Yet a demo was given at a trade show last summer, I believe.
heli

Post by heli »

Pre-Order € 49,99
Release: 04-05-2021

Finally some game arriving soon.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

The real reason people shouldn't be excited for Final 2 is because everyone supposedly hates Final. I have no optimism that this game will do well because of that. I'm sure it'll be a decent game, though.
MJR wrote:The whole original point of the kickstarter is not to keep a web shop, but to enable the development in the first place. So, if backers are going to continue feeling burned, and decide to withdraw from future kickstarters in order to wait for eventual better LE editions from publishers, then it will negate the whole purpose of crowdfunding, and will lead into situations where no more projects are going to be funded as everyone is going to wait for someone else to fund it and pay the development bill - which will no longer happen = no one will get anything.
At the same time, the whole point of Kickstarter is to, in fact, enable the development in the first place. Honestly, you shouldn't really have to expect diddly squat except the game actually being released. There should not even be these perks and promises, regardless of how much "incentive" they supposedly offer, because they almost always create more problems than they solve.

Basically, Kickstarter allows you to be a shareholder without necessarily getting any money out of it. Clearly, the next step is to make backers literal shareholders.
PerishedFraud ឵឵ wrote:I wouldn't call Final a swan song.
Final was meant to be the last R-Type game. Irem was on its way out even then, and they knew it. See also: Daioujou.
qmish wrote:However, i feel too much scepticism in air here sometimes :mrgreen:
This is true. However:
qmish wrote:Well, Disaster Report 4 (Granzella's debut title) was questionable as well (and i'm sure some fans of original Disaster Report series felt underwhelming), so it's understandable to be cautious about R-TF2.
I have heard nothing but good things about this game from ZZT fans. The only complainers I've seen are whining over the graphics.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Despatche wrote:Clearly, the next step is to make backers literal shareholders.
I believe there is at least one crowdfunding-type site (Fig, I think? Whichever one hosted Psychonauts 2) that offers that option.
Sly Cherry Chunks

Post by Sly Cherry Chunks »

The biggest unanswered question is where is the money? [1CCS]
SPM

Post by SPM »

Sly Cherry Chunks wrote:Some gameplay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPJ4TEPgDZI
I don't love the vertical scrolling/tilting (minor complaint though) and hope R-Typer difficulty spices things up :mrgreen:

How was the hardest difficulty in Final? Haven't played that one...

Also, would love a fast-forward option, but being a new game I highly doubt it.
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
BIL

Post by BIL »

Despatche wrote:
PerishedFraud ឵឵ wrote:I wouldn't call Final a swan song.
Final was meant to be the last R-Type game. Irem was on its way out even then, and they knew it. See also: Daioujou.
Patchy-kun, I am exploding with alcoholic anger at your error (■`ω´■) A "swan song" must fulfil the objective standard of "a creator's final work." However, it must also meet the subjective standard of "a creator's most beautiful work." If SCORSESE FINAL is camcorder footage of a donkey eating the corn off a goat's ass in the famous directory's backyard, it will face a stern battle to be known as his swan song!

This is the big shit sandwich subjectivity has handed us, Patchy (;`ω´;)
PerishedFraud ឵឵

hehe patchy-kun

hehe
Fun Over Victory| Shitpost Central | Shmusic Archive | Old Account | tuckfouhou@gmail.com
BIL

Post by BIL »

Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Sly Cherry Chunks wrote:Some gameplay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPJ4TEPgDZI
Where did you find that superplay DVD?
PerishedFraud ឵឵

BIL wrote:Image
Spoiler
BIL

Post by BIL »

PerishedFraud ឵឵ wrote:
Spoiler
FUCK (■`W´■)

You know speaking of wobble, I went and got Argus, and it wobbled so goddamn much, I thought I was losing my goddamn mind? good game though (■`W´■)
Not even the FC ver prepare me. And that wobble like a muhfucka too!

I have more faith in Final 2 though. Delta has vertical pan+tilt and it PWNS. EDIT: Final does not, and it's meh! So it seems we are part of some strange plan.

Look at this shit, seriously TOSE?
Spoiler

(`ω´メ)
Last edited by BIL on Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

That frozen Dobkeratops made me smile. The way that first stage remixes staples of the series reminds me of the opening of II. That's a good thing I guess.
heli

Post by heli »

Again the stupid robot, why all games have that robot ?, it sucks.
Like a copy for next gen.
BIL

Post by BIL »

heli pls! Photon cannon mecha GAINS and his Option-equipped colleague GYDOCKER are good peeps. Much fun (AND SCORE Image) to be had, speedkilling CONTRITE so GAINS gets mad and levels the building, in Delta's first stage!

Now, if he's part of an amusing but pointless cutscene, ala III's first stage, or if he gets reassigned to framerate-tanking door gunning, ala Final's fourth, that would be unfortunate! But as long as he's not jerking us off thus, I am happy to see my old friend again.

Let's not talk about that time he got wasted on the set of RAZION. (■`ω´■)
Spoiler

LET'S JUST NOT OK, he had a problem and he got help. (■`ω´■)
Matsunaga

Post by Matsunaga »

Looks like Final 1 with updated graphics. I was buying it anyways, got it preordered on Amazon. I’m optimistic that it will be good.
“What did I had done!”
null1024

Post by null1024 »

I have absolutely zero idea why they'd call it "Final 2".
None.
Damn near every time I died in R-Type Final, it's because I got bored and started looking away from the screen after uncomfortably long periods of absolutely nothing happening, inevitably ensuring that I got shot.
Why would you want to associate a new game with any of that? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Looking at the footage, that camera tilt thing is bugging me -- I know Delta did it, and I love that game... but it was kinda dumb there too, and Final 1 does not do it.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

I like the diorama look and camera tilt. The game is 3D rendered, may as well take advantage of it.
BIL

Post by BIL »

null1024 wrote:Looking at the footage, that camera tilt thing is bugging me -- I know Delta did it, and I love that game... but it was kinda dumb there too, and Final 1 does not do it.
Holy fuck you're right :shock: I must've been thinking of Final st2.1 aka "The Abu Ghraib Experience," where you get your head held underwater. *PBLTHHH* STOP DUNKING ME YOU CUNTS

And tbh, that was one of Final's decent stages! And still not as good as Delta's second! Maybe they've got their groove back. :o :cool:
heli

Post by heli »

null1024 wrote: looking away from the screen after uncomfortably long periods of absolutely nothing happening
The music and atmosphere is great.
Like a horror-movie, nothing happens and you are still scared,
movies are nice if you dont watch more then 1 time.

I find it a relaxing game, you dont always wanto be hyper, only my PS2 superslim cant handle it so it is the slowest game ever.

Always to much level-collision in r-type, hint : make hyper r-type, fans will love.
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

The camera thing made me feel sick, here's hoping they get rid of that or have a toggle. Fair enough if it went with the playfield scrolling up/down but it doesn't. Just moving the ship seems to be enough and a couple of moments show the player making small up and down movements quickly... just no thank you. There is no need for it, it's a pretty lame showy effect on its own but on a 2D plane with a distant static background, it becomes a motion sickness trigger.
qmish

Post by qmish »

Despatche wrote: The only complainers I've seen are whining over the graphics.
No, what i remember were not talkings about Disaster Report 4's graphics.

Those people were disappointed how more restricted and linear it was in comparison to original dilogy. Lacks depth and might be weakest in series.
So verdicts from them was rather opposite - "fancy visuals, but doesnt hold a candle to franchise. Dumbed down".
kid aphex

Post by kid aphex »

Super sad to say I’ll be passing on this one. Everything I’ve seen has been a huge turn-off, and R-Type Final is actually one of my favorite shmups.
This just looks really uninspired. I don’t feel a passion for the genre, series or even game coming out of this footage.
Gross all around. What a bummer.
Sly Cherry Chunks

Demo for PS4 and Switch April 1st

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fZJrQ2Edfw
KAI

Post by KAI »

Homage Stage DLC will be a remake of the 1st stage from Delta
Sly Cherry Chunks

I hope those stretch goal levels are included at launch. It would be lame to have to pay extra for them as dlc, although I'm not opposed to even more features being added as paid for dlc after stretch goals.