Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
XoPachi

Re: Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread

Post by XoPachi »

Does anyone know where I can view those sepia artworks that flash between each stage clear in ESP Ra De? They're just gorgeous. I love seeing them when I play it and it's criminal that they're seen so briefly. There a gallery somewhere of the game?
kid aphex

Post by kid aphex »

I can’t for the life of me find Sorcer Striker on the Japanese PSN store... anyone help?
Japanese PSN noob here.

Mostly curious about how/why the search function doesn’t seem to work... is there a trick or do I have to find the games in the store simply by browsing through all titles?

Thanks
BIL

Post by BIL »

Here you go. Found by CTRL+Ving 魔法大作戦 ("Mahou Daisakusen") into the search box - not very elegant, but that's how I usually find stuff. :smile:
kid aphex

Post by kid aphex »

BIL wrote:Here you go. Found by CTRL+Ving 魔法大作戦 ("Mahou Daisakusen") into the search box - not very elegant, but that's how I usually find stuff. :smile:
Well thank you. I guess I’ll have to do my searching/purchasing from the web store instead of the console.
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

What was that one ollllld PC game where you and all the enemies are just crystals and you blew them apart? It's really obscure and very rare. Was called like Illuminator or something to that effect I think. Abstract backgrounds.
Licorice

Post by Licorice »

Illumination laser on the X68000?
jmclark

Post by jmclark »

Can anyone say what the “gy special” and “gy” switch options are for in Fire Arrow Plus?
Great game by the way...
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

Licorice wrote:Illumination laser on the X68000?
Yeah, that's it! Thanks!
Hornet

Post by Hornet »

Licorice wrote:Hello,

This is one I have been struggling with for a while.

What's the first shooter that lets you push-scroll freely in any direction in some finite or infinite area, and also come to a rest almost immediately at any time (i.e. no (or very limited) inertia or gravity)?

I'm talking about things like:

Metal stoker
Firemen
Granada
etc.
I apologize for the necroquote, but I was testing an MSX emulator yesterday and came across a game called "Lonesome Tank", which immediately reminded me of your (very interesting) post. The gameplay seems to be at least somewhat influenced by Namco's Tank Battalion (1980), however the action here takes place in a free-scrolling "map" (a la Granada), instead of a single screen. No auto-scrolling and gravity/inertia either, so it seems to fit your criteria. Unsure about its release date, though. Japanese sites say 1983, Generation MSX, on the other hand, says 1984.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Am I missing something, or, in comparison to Switch / PS4, is it almost impossible to create a JPN account for Xbox? Wanted to pick up some 360 shooters I missed, but no luck, even with the new account created as JPN region?
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

How hard is Kaneko's Cyvern generally considered to be for just a single loop clear vs a 2 loop 1cc? For instance, how would it compare on this list? viewtopic.php?f=1&t=56114
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

Gradius 3 AC gives two options before you go to the weapon selection.
What the hell do either of them do? I can't read Japanese. u-u
BIL

Post by BIL »

Full Game / Easy Game. The former mode is selected by default. The latter ends after stage 3. A classic SUPERHARD/SUPEREASY conundrum. :wink:
Koa Zo

Post by Koa Zo »

Who the heck are the masterminds behind Data East's Nitro Ball.
sure I could look it up, but who were they, why aren't their names known in the same league as the Hiroshi Iiuchi's and Shigiru Miyamoto's of the world? Where are they now?
What a fucking game! Holy shit.
UD2

Post by UD2 »

Koa Zo wrote:Who the heck are the masterminds behind Data East's Nitro Ball.
sure I could look it up, but who were they, why aren't their names known in the same league as the Hiroshi Iiuchi's and Shigiru Miyamoto's of the world? Where are they now?
What a fucking game! Holy shit.
Director "Jinbo" seems to be a match for Koji Jinbo: https://www.mobygames.com/developer/she ... Id,599194/
Couldn't figure anyone else out except for the music, which is known to be Hiroaki "Maro" Yoshida and Akira "Raika" Takemoto.

Data East rules, IMO they're the masters of "janky but fun as hell."
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

Guess what I'm about to ask? :^)

What kinda music is this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKIgFDSzrfk
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

What the fuck is wrong with Blue Revolver?

It doesn't like triggers and completely messes up when trying to map them. Streaming in Discord shuts off the music. Sometimes it registers certain inputs as other things in the menus (like the usual button I have set for confirm will sometimes back me out one menu instead).
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Which mods are looking after the index for the Strategy section? Would like this added to it. The index says to PM spadgy but they've not logged in for a year, so not sure if someone else is looking after it.
XoPachi wrote:What the fuck is wrong with Blue Revolver?

It doesn't like triggers and completely messes up when trying to map them.
There's a lot of games that don't read triggers on Xbox controllers properly (seeing them both as one axis and not registering if you press both, etc). I often use JoyToKey to map them for that kind of thing.
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

What's the problem with scoring in the X360 port of Guwange?
YouTube | Restart Syndrome | 1cclist | Go Play Mars Matrix
Solunas wrote:How to Takumi your scoring system
1) Create Scoring System
2) Make it a multiplier for your actual score
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

LordHypnos wrote:What's the problem with scoring in the X360 port of Guwange?
That sounds familiar enough for me to look for it. Found this topic: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=56378
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

Jeneki wrote:
That sounds familiar enough for me to look for it. Found this topic: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=56378
Thanks! That sure is mysterious...
1) Create Scoring System
velo

Post by velo »

So, about shield item spawns in Thunder Force IV...

There's one in the desert level that only shows up if you don't have a shield already. So if I have a partial shield already I deliberately take hits so I can grab a fresh one, it's kinda silly. And there's one in Air Raid that doesn't seem to show up sometimes, but I have no idea why. Is there any overall rhyme or reason to this, or do certain item drops have random pointless rules attached to them? I worry that I'm missing some items without even knowing about them...
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Without knowing anything useful about TFIV, there's a lot of shmups with weird arbitrary rules like internal counters that increase that determine when items drop, and there's at least one game where you can get a mercy 1UP if you reach that section with 0 lives in stock. It may be something similar?
Sly Cherry Chunks

Post by Sly Cherry Chunks »

velo wrote:So, about shield item spawns in Thunder Force IV...

There's one in the desert level that only shows up if you don't have a shield already. So if I have a partial shield already I deliberately take hits so I can grab a fresh one, it's kinda silly. And there's one in Air Raid that doesn't seem to show up sometimes, but I have no idea why. Is there any overall rhyme or reason to this, or do certain item drops have random pointless rules attached to them? I worry that I'm missing some items without even knowing about them...
Haven't played in a long time but I remember always starting with Air Raid to get the early shield. I always thought the drops were based on difficulty, and that less shields dropped on normal than on easy.
The biggest unanswered question is where is the money? [1CCS]
CloudyMusic

Post by CloudyMusic »

LordHypnos wrote:
Jeneki wrote:
Thanks! That sure is mysterious...
Yeah, to this day, I'm not sure anybody's really been able to explain what could be going on...but it sure seems like scores are noticeably inflated compared to MAME/PCB. It's weird. :?
Last edited by CloudyMusic on Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

CloudyMusic wrote: Yeah, to this day, I'm not sure anybody's really been able to explain what could be going on...but it sure seems like scores are noticeably inflated compared to MAME/PCB. It's weird. :?
Has anyone ever tested or noticed this discrepancy in the Blue version? I ask this because it sounded like we know the ROMs are identical. Would reveal whether it's a weird emulation issue or a ROM issue. I noticed that the scoring on restartsyndrome is still combined for that variant.

An unrelated question: I remember there being a thread on first shmups to do something (e.g. Bosconian is the first shmup to allow you to continue). I can't seem to find this anymore.
EDIT: found it

A question related to that: Does anyone know what the first shmup to have bonus enemies is? (bonus enemies here meaning enemies that only spawn if you kill other enemies fast enough). I occasionally see people crediting Ikaruga or Dangun Feveron for this, but I'm pretty sure it goes back much farther. Isn't this a fundamental feature of oldschool caravan shooters?
Last edited by LordHypnos on Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1) Create Scoring System
CloudyMusic

Post by CloudyMusic »

LordHypnos wrote:Has anyone ever tested or noticed this discrepancy in the Blue version? I ask this because it sounded like we know the ROMs are identical. Would reveal whether it's a weird emulation issue or a ROM issue. I noticed that the scoring on restartsyndrome is still combined for that variant.
I didn't test it, both because there weren't very many Blue replays floating around back then so it wasn't possible to get a good sample size, and I actually don't know the fine details of the scoring system in Blue. There are plenty of web sites that exhaustively break down Guwange's internal systems; the same doesn't really seem to be true of the Blue version, perhaps not surprisingly since it wasn't widely available.
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

CloudyMusic wrote:
LordHypnos wrote:Has anyone ever tested or noticed this discrepancy in the Blue version? I ask this because it sounded like we know the ROMs are identical. Would reveal whether it's a weird emulation issue or a ROM issue. I noticed that the scoring on restartsyndrome is still combined for that variant.
I didn't test it, both because there weren't very many Blue replays floating around back then so it wasn't possible to get a good sample size, and I actually don't know the fine details of the scoring system in Blue. There are plenty of web sites that exhaustively break down Guwange's internal systems; the same doesn't really seem to be true of the Blue version, perhaps not surprisingly since it wasn't widely available.
That's a really good point!
1) Create Scoring System
velo

Post by velo »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:Without knowing anything useful about TFIV, there's a lot of shmups with weird arbitrary rules like internal counters that increase that determine when items drop, and there's at least one game where you can get a mercy 1UP if you reach that section with 0 lives in stock. It may be something similar?
Sly Cherry Chunks wrote:Haven't played in a long time but I remember always starting with Air Raid to get the early shield. I always thought the drops were based on difficulty, and that less shields dropped on normal than on easy.
I always do Air Raid second, always play on Normal, almost always restart if I die before then. Maybe one time in 20 the shield doesn't spawn. I don't even have a theory about why. It's weird that there's apparently a special rule for only these two items in the entire game afaik, and it's not even the same rule for both, and the one in Desert barely even impacts gameplay if you know about it.
Lethe

Post by Lethe »

Let me muddy the waters further regarding the Guwange port. Check out this archived replay from XBL Blue. Notice how at 4 minutes in, the player is coinstreaming off the stage 2 boss just like one would in the original version. Now try doing that in MAME, or even on a romswapped PCB. It doesn't work because coinstreaming doesn't exist in Blue boss fights! So if the Blue ROM was extracted from the XBL version, why are they mechanically different? Is the dump just utterly screwed up? Is there some additional layer running on top of the XBL version giving it mechanics that don't exist in the ROM? Is the XBL version merging the two games at runtime and creating an unholy union? What the fuck is happening?