Has anyone here ever heard of Download (1990) ?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
zuntaito

Has anyone here ever heard of Download (1990) ?

Post by zuntaito »

It's an obscure Japan-only anime shmup from the early 90's for the PC Engine. Probably the hardest shmup to research about (try googling 'download pc engine' or similar).
The game is actually pretty good (although a bit easy) and you'll hardly find any mention of it online. Short well-designed levels with infinite continues and fast pace. You can complete it without understanding japanese.

Hardcore gaming 101 made a post about it: http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/download/
And that's it. I don't even think mobygames has an entry on it (but uvlist does)
zuntaito

Re: Has anyone here ever heard of Download (1990) ?

Post by zuntaito »

I forgot to mention that it is probably one of the best looking pc engine games out there.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

I don't think it's obscure if you're into PC Engine. Probably just hard to search for since "download" is such a common search term. Places like Retro-Sanctuary have it on their top 100 list, GameFAQs has a walkthrough of it, etc. It's in multiple places in the Smokemonster ROM sets. They even made a sequel to it (which I assume they wouldn't have made unless it sold decently well).
zuntaito

Post by zuntaito »

Dochartaigh wrote:I don't think it's obscure if you're into PC Engine. Probably just hard to search for since "download" is such a common search term. Places like Retro-Sanctuary have it on their top 100 list, GameFAQs has a walkthrough of it, etc. It's in multiple places in the Smokemonster ROM sets. They even made a sequel to it (which I assume they wouldn't have made unless it sold decently well).
Yeah, but the game, the sequel and the anime are all Japan-only and I think largely forgotten. The PC Engine is full of shmups but I've never seen anyone mention this one.
ATTRACTS

Post by ATTRACTS »

I think anyone with a PC Engine who likes shmups likes or has played/tried Download.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Yeah, it's a pretty well-regarded game around here. This thread still makes me laugh. Technology is kings! :lol:
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

I have and its pretty decent. Only played a few credits but I liked what I played. I put in my "maybe" pile to try to tackle someday.
SuperDeadite

Post by SuperDeadite »

It's quite popular among PCE/Turbo fans, though it's mostly loved for the infamous Game Over screens.
Bydobasher

Post by Bydobasher »

I've heard of this, but I don't think I ever tried it. Will seek it out now! PC Engine is such a great little system....
zuntaito

Post by zuntaito »

Bydobasher wrote:I've heard of this, but I don't think I ever tried it. Will seek it out now! PC Engine is such a great little system....
Make sure you die at least once on every level to read those glorious game over screens
Bydobasher

Post by Bydobasher »

zuntaito wrote:
Bydobasher wrote:I've heard of this, but I don't think I ever tried it. Will seek it out now! PC Engine is such a great little system....
Make sure you die at least once on every level to read those glorious game over screens
Haha, I will be certain of it! :mrgreen:
PooshhMao

Post by PooshhMao »

Since nobody mentioned it yet: it also has a PC Engine CD sequel, Download 2 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUXlRxA3wYo)
Mortificator

Post by Mortificator »

RegalSin wrote:You can't even drive across the country Naked anymore
poodude

Post by poodude »

It's a fantastic game, one of the few HUCards I own. All the swearing and bad English is just a bonus! :D
ShotOfSelf

Post by ShotOfSelf »

It's an enjoyable game, good level design and pretty easy to survive. Found out about it through Ed's 1cc blog: http://1cclog.blogspot.com/2010/01/down ... ngine.html
DrTrouserPlank wrote: I don't see how I can get any better. The reason I am not improving is because I am as good as it is possible to be.
ShamefurDispray

Post by ShamefurDispray »

Yep. There's a Download 2 as well.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Yes, many have heard of the PC Engine game with the silly game over screens, even if they don't know it by name. The sequel does not have the silly game over screens, so obviously less people know of it.

That writeup is pretty silly. Never seen someone rage so hard about a common PC Engine problem. I mean, a Divine Sealing comparison? Really, man?
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

zuntaito wrote:Hardcore gaming 101 made a post about it: http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/download/
I might add that "Sofix" was a pretty cult brand of sport shoes in People's Republic of Poland, ninety-eighties (at least since 1983, internet says).
Spoiler
A second company called Sofix is actually credited in the games. In the credits roll of Download they are featured under the “Thanks” heading, and in the sequel Download 2 as well as the anime adaptation they are credited alongside NEC Avenue. Sofix is a more or less forgotten Japanese developer that made a few games for the PC Engine in collaboration with NEC Avenue and Hudson. In 1992 – about two years after the first Download game – they published a digital comic adaptation of the Yawara! manga on the PC Engine, which had a look and quality very similar to the cutscenes in the two Download games. By educated guesswork, it is likely that Alfa Systems were in charge of the gameplay of Download and its sequel while Sofix handled the cutscenes, but there is very little evidence available to back this up.

The first game and the light novel were produced in parallel and released less than a month apart. The book was written by Wataru Nakajima who also worked on the story for the two games. He had previously worked on the 1989 Famicom-exclusive Seirei Gari (a Deja Vu/Shadowgate style adventure game) where he was credited for the original story. Interestingly, the credits of Seirei Gari also list Sofix and their employees, meaning that Download was not the first time Nakajima collaborated with them.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

PooshhMao wrote:Since nobody mentioned it yet: it also has a PC Engine CD sequel, Download 2 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUXlRxA3wYo)
With a plot very reminiscent of Bionic Commando.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

The actual Download manual can be unfolded to a mini poster if so desired -- quite a cool cyberpunk aesthetic vibe through & through. Was the Download anime released on VHS & LD formats?

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
zuntaito

Post by zuntaito »

PC Engine Fan X! wrote:The actual Download manual can be unfolded to a mini poster if so desired -- quite a cool cyberpunk aesthetic vibe through & through. Was the Download anime released on VHS & LD formats?

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Do you have any pictures of the manual?