gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Hisoka89

Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre

Post by Hisoka89 »

superg wrote:
Hisoka89 wrote:Hi, i have a question regarding the gscartsw, i want to get one and use a magnetic micro usb to usb to avoid having the usb power connexion damaged, my question is: can i use with it the power adapter it comes with samsung phones ? Is it secure ? If not what should i use ? Thank you!
Yeah, both samsung charger and magnetic cable should be fine.
But gscartsw's from the current batch are actually v5.3 with through hole micro usb connector so I doubt you need that.
Thank you for your reply but does it mean no more detach issues on that power connector ?? Because in the website i still see v5.2 with the power connector warning. Please confirm to me i need to order one asap
superg

Post by superg »

Hisoka89 wrote: Thank you for your reply but does it mean no more detach issues on that power connector ?? Because in the website i still see v5.2 with the power connector warning. Please confirm to me i need to order one asap
Yeah, I forgot to update the description on the order page, will try to do that this weekend. All gscartsw's are v5.3 at this point, I don't have v5.2 gscartsw's anymore.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

superg wrote:
Hisoka89 wrote: Thank you for your reply but does it mean no more detach issues on that power connector ?? Because in the website i still see v5.2 with the power connector warning. Please confirm to me i need to order one asap
Yeah, I forgot to update the description on the order page, will try to do that this weekend. All gscartsw's are v5.3 at this point, I don't have v5.2 gscartsw's anymore.
I don't have it in front of me, but you fixed the power connector so it won't snap off any more? Did you secure it or go with a barrel connector?
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

superg wrote:
kitty666cats wrote:superg, any thoughts about bringing back a DE15 output? I liked the design of those ones!

Of course, one of these dongles should work on one of the outputs of the current design:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Optoma-Scart-t ... 2952965387

But it's a shame that an audio breakout isn't included. The thing is made of epoxy so it would be damn near impossible to mod... I actually stick' em to a secondary dongle for audio out, lol. They do the trick for RGBS into Extron interfaces/GBS units/etc, though!
That stuff is projector thing, I know that projector cables with 15 pin d-sub have different pinout, there are cables like this and they don't work.
VGA is questionable because it requires separate HV sync and it needs additional processing. There are external adapters but bulky. It would be nice if somebody designs something like this projector thing.
I have a powered 1:2 SCART splitter with a Renesas sync separator in it and those Optoma adapters do work with it, at least. Obviously it’s gonna be RGBS and not RGBHV out, but still useful :)

https://www.js-technology.com/store/ind ... er=product

I would assume the Optoma adapters work on gscartsw as well, but it’s no big deal anyway... I was mostly just musing on how I liked the design of your units that had the DE15 output as an option, heh 8)
superg

Post by superg »

Just want to confirm for everybody that v5.3 gscartsw is compatible with v5.2 bumpers from Laser Bear, I've just installed one for myself.
DrDukka

Post by DrDukka »

Hi there,

I'm trying to order a Scart switch, but when I go to pay in PayPal the final delivery costs are $9,999.00. Something looks to be going wrong. Any chance of a little assistance?
superg

Post by superg »

DrDukka wrote:Hi there,

I'm trying to order a Scart switch, but when I go to pay in PayPal the final delivery costs are $9,999.00. Something looks to be going wrong. Any chance of a little assistance?
Some countries I don't ship to are "locked" this way. Use a proxy service.
Hao

Post by Hao »

Hi SuperG

- Do you have an update on when your next batch of switches will be available?

- Would there be any issue daisy chaining with a powered Bandridge switch?

- Do you recommend not inserting/removing scarts when the gscart is powered on, as per Hydra recommendations?

- Is there any audio filters built in to avoid any audio hum/buzz on a CRT? I dont currently get any with my Bandridge so I'm not expecting any with yours :)

Thank you!
superg

Post by superg »

Hao wrote:- Do you have an update on when your next batch of switches will be available?
Probably March as my manufacturer is having a holiday (Chinese New Year)
Hao wrote: - Would there be any issue daisy chaining with a powered Bandridge switch?
Shouldn't be an issue as long as you're happy with Bandridge quality.
Hao wrote: - Do you recommend not inserting/removing scarts when the gscart is powered on, as per Hydra recommendations?
I recommend inserting/removing SCART cables any time you want, should not be an issue :)
Hao wrote: - Is there any audio filters built in to avoid any audio hum/buzz on a CRT? I dont currently get any with my Bandridge so I'm not expecting any with yours :)
In general you get hum/buzz noise when your cables aren't properly shielded. Get short cables from a known manufacturer and you shouldn't have this problem.
bullz7210

Post by bullz7210 »

superg, I purchased the gscartsw 5:2 from you I believe either at the end of 2018 or 2019, can't remember. I know it's out of warranty but I didn't know if you'd have any suggestions for me.

I've included a few pictures here, https://imgur.com/a/XzhaWjZ

Basically, I've never had a problem with it but then today when I turned on a system, it would not switch over to the system through the OSSC. If I take the SCART cable directly from a system and plug it into the OSSC it works, but going through the gscart nothing happens. The OSSC never adjusts when I change systems either, so it seems like nothing is passing from the gscart to the OSSC.

I was able to get it to work one time by unplugging the gscarts power for a couple of minutes, then unplugging the SCART from the gscart output and input of the OSSC. I then plugged everything back in and a picture came up and it would switch between all the different systems. Once I turned the systems off, and the OSSC back off though, I never could get a picture or sound to come back through.

Also tried the 2nd output on the gscart.

Edit 2/16----

Just wanted to say I figured out the issue I believe. I had a PS2 slim hooked up that was left on for who knows how long. Not sure why taking the power and cables off worked that one time, but as soon as I powered the PS2 down, the other systems started working.
Last edited by bullz7210 on Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hao

Post by Hao »

superg wrote:
Hao wrote:- Do you have an update on when your next batch of switches will be available?
Probably March as my manufacturer is having a holiday (Chinese New Year)
Hao wrote: - Would there be any issue daisy chaining with a powered Bandridge switch?
Shouldn't be an issue as long as you're happy with Bandridge quality.
Hao wrote: - Do you recommend not inserting/removing scarts when the gscart is powered on, as per Hydra recommendations?
I recommend inserting/removing SCART cables any time you want, should not be an issue :)
Hao wrote: - Is there any audio filters built in to avoid any audio hum/buzz on a CRT? I dont currently get any with my Bandridge so I'm not expecting any with yours :)
In general you get hum/buzz noise when your cables aren't properly shielded. Get short cables from a known manufacturer and you shouldn't have this problem.

Thank you for the answers :)
zarkFR

Post by zarkFR »

Hey, sorry if this was already asked before, but do you have a reseller for Europe ? (Frenchie here)

I already have a gscartsw, and planning to buy a gcompsw.

Thank you =)
superg

Post by superg »

zarkFR wrote:Hey, sorry if this was already asked before, but do you have a reseller for Europe ? (Frenchie here)

I already have a gscartsw, and planning to buy a gcompsw.

Thank you =)
No EU reseller at this point.
zarkFR

Post by zarkFR »

So sad =(

Sorry if this is indiscreet, but any plans to have one ? like... this year ?

I can wait... a little... but not too much haha.

Thank you again
snowekim

Post by snowekim »

superg wrote:
snowekim wrote: 1- No flicker
2- Yea I have good cables from RGC.uk (Packapunch)

And yes you're right, so far it doesn't seem to be a breaking bug as it only occurs on the title screen, but it caused me concern it might happen later on the game too, hopefully that's not the case.

On the bright side we have this issue documented now =)
Yeah, I will check the game out at some point.
Quick update, you were right, this issue was because I was using a ps1 scart cable with my ps2.

Got a new insurrection industries cable for ps2 and it doesn't seem to have this issue.
superg

Post by superg »

snowekim wrote: Quick update, you were right, this issue was because I was using a ps1 scart cable with my ps2.
Got a new insurrection industries cable for ps2 and it doesn't seem to have this issue.
Thanks for letting me know, I almost ordered the game to see the line by myself!
xerotyme

Post by xerotyme »

I recently purchased a gcompsw and I also own a Framemeister and I am aware that you are not supposed to use supergun conversions with either as they can permanently damage both. I just purchased a Omega MVS from arcadeworks as well as this upgrade:

https://castlemaniagames.com/products/r ... -the-omega

I was wondering if anyone knows if this combo is safe to use with both the gcompsw and Framemeister?
As for the cables I will be using, I have a HD Retrovision Genesis cable as is required by the replacement A/V board. If it is not safe to use luckily I have a nice Sony CRT that I can hook it up to. Not sure if this would have any impact on the situation but I plan to use this flashcart with the MVS:

https://stoneagegamer.com/neosd-pro-mvs.html

Thanks in advance for any advice/helpful input!!! :)
Speedy

Post by Speedy »

Hi superg,

I’m hoping you can help with an issue I’m having with my gscartsw when used with a RetroTINK RGB2COMP. I'm running into an issue where the image has a green tint on two of my YPbPr Consumer CRTs (Toshiba 24AF46 & Sony KV-24FS120) if the gscartsw & RGB2COMP are used together.

The RGB2COMP works perfectly though if I connect any of my RGB SCART consoles directly to it instead of running through the gscartsw.

Additionally, the RGB SCART video coming out of the gscartsw on its own is also working correctly without a green tint (aside from the issue with the RGB2COMP) on all my Sony RGB monitors (I have three daisy-chained: BVM-D32E1W, BVM-D20F1, and BVM-D9H1). I measured all of this with my X-Rite colorimeter to make sure to my eyes weren’t playing tricks on me.

The green tint issue only seems to occur when I combine the gscartsw and the RGB2COMP. After realizing this, I tried the following with no improvement to the green tint issue:
1. Different SCART cable
2. Different YPbPr cable
3. Swapped outputs on gscartsw

Any ideas?

All the best and thank you!
superg

Post by superg »

Speedy wrote:Hi superg,

I’m hoping you can help with an issue I’m having with my gscartsw when used with a RetroTINK RGB2COMP. I'm running into an issue where the image has a green tint on two of my YPbPr Consumer CRTs (Toshiba 24AF46 & Sony KV-24FS120) if the gscartsw & RGB2COMP are used together.

The RGB2COMP works perfectly though if I connect any of my RGB SCART consoles directly to it instead of running through the gscartsw.

Additionally, the RGB SCART video coming out of the gscartsw on its own is also working correctly without a green tint (aside from the issue with the RGB2COMP) on all my Sony RGB monitors (I have three daisy-chained: BVM-D32E1W, BVM-D20F1, and BVM-D9H1). I measured all of this with my X-Rite colorimeter to make sure to my eyes weren’t playing tricks on me.

The green tint issue only seems to occur when I combine the gscartsw and the RGB2COMP. After realizing this, I tried the following with no improvement to the green tint issue:
1. Different SCART cable
2. Different YPbPr cable

Any ideas?

This is really weird. I know you tried a different SCART cable but it looks like something changes between gscartsw and rgb2comp.
Does it happen for each and every console?
Did you try to alter gscartsw settings? In particular try DIP 1 on/off (and DIP 2 if sync on green is involved) and see if that changes anything.
Speedy

Post by Speedy »

superg wrote:
Speedy wrote:Hi superg,

1. Different SCART cable
2. Different YPbPr cable

Any ideas?

This is really weird. I know you tried a different SCART cable but it looks like something changes between gscartsw and rgb2comp.
Does it happen for each and every console?
Did you try to alter gscartsw settings? In particular try DIP 1 on/off (and DIP 2 if sync on green is involved) and see if that changes anything.
Yes, it happens for every console I tested... I tried it on PS1, NES, SNES, N64, GameCube, Wii, Genesis, and MiSTer.

I actually didn't think to try toggling the DIP switches yet.

I'll give DIP1 a try, but it seems weird that Sync Regeneration could affect color conversion, right?

I'll also try the SoG DIP, but could that even affect non SoG consoles?

Thanks!
superg

Post by superg »

Speedy wrote: I actually didn't think to try toggling the DIP switches yet.
I'll give DIP1 a try, but it seems weird that Sync Regeneration could affect color conversion, right?
I'll also try the SoG DIP, but could that even affect non SoG consoles?
Thanks!
DIP1 might alter sync amplitude, which can affect other color levels, but that's more of a question to Mike Chi. I still think it's something else though, a lot of switch owners are using rgb2comp and comp2rgb in all sorts of configurations, the issue like this would pop out in no time.
DIP2 won't change anything if sync on green source isn't used.
Speedy

Post by Speedy »

I figured it out... I tried a 3rd SCART cable and the problem went away. No idea what is wrong with these other two SCART cables.
superg

Post by superg »

Speedy wrote:I figured it out... I tried a 3rd SCART cable and the problem went away. No idea what is wrong with these other two SCART cables.
Insufficient shielding or wiring error. Glad you sorted it out!
Magic Man Sammy

Post by Magic Man Sammy »

Hi superg and all, I'm sorry if this has been answered before but I wasn't seeing it. I just ordered the gcompsw 8:2 a few days ago and was wondering: If I have some consoles using component and some using composite, can I hook them all up individually to the gcompsw inputs (lets say 3 composite and 4 component) and then send one of the two outputs to my TV's separate component in and the other to the TV's composite in to then have the ability to simply change between the TV's component and composite inputs depending on which console I want to use? Or would this need to be only one output on the gcomp switch to a single TV?

I ask because the description on the website details using only one output on the gcompsw and using a separate composite video lead with and RCA splitter for the the audio leads. Does using both outputs on the gcomp switch to separate inputs on the same TV cause some kind of signal loop?
Hao

Post by Hao »

Anyone know if there would be any issues using a JNX CMVS with a gscartsw?

Anyone using these together?
superg

Post by superg »

Magic Man Sammy wrote:Hi superg and all, I'm sorry if this has been answered before but I wasn't seeing it. I just ordered the gcompsw 8:2 a few days ago and was wondering: If I have some consoles using component and some using composite, can I hook them all up individually to the gcompsw inputs (lets say 3 composite and 4 component) and then send one of the two outputs to my TV's separate component in and the other to the TV's composite in to then have the ability to simply change between the TV's component and composite inputs depending on which console I want to use? Or would this need to be only one output on the gcomp switch to a single TV?

I ask because the description on the website details using only one output on the gcompsw and using a separate composite video lead with and RCA splitter for the the audio leads. Does using both outputs on the gcomp switch to separate inputs on the same TV cause some kind of signal loop?
Yeah, that will work just fine given that you have separate TV inputs for composite and component (some modern TV's share one input for both composite/component Y - but there is a workaround for that too! :)). Obviously you will have to use a TV remote to switch between composite / component depending on which console is turned on so it's not 100% automatic in that regard.
superg

Post by superg »

xerotyme wrote:I recently purchased a gcompsw and I also own a Framemeister and I am aware that you are not supposed to use supergun conversions with either as they can permanently damage both. I just purchased a Omega MVS from arcadeworks as well as this upgrade:

I was wondering if anyone knows if this combo is safe to use with both the gcompsw and Framemeister?
As for the cables I will be using, I have a HD Retrovision Genesis cable as is required by the replacement A/V board. If it is not safe to use luckily I have a nice Sony CRT that I can hook it up to. Not sure if this would have any impact on the situation but I plan to use this flashcart with the MVS:

There is some information from trusted sources that HAS supergun has properly attenuated audio circuit and some are using that. But as always, use supergun at your own risk!
RGB0b

Post by RGB0b »

xerotyme wrote:I recently purchased a gcompsw and I also own a Framemeister and I am aware that you are not supposed to use supergun conversions with either as they can permanently damage both. I just purchased a Omega MVS from arcadeworks as well as this upgrade:

100% safe to use as long as you use a properly-built Genesis 2 cable - You said you're using the HD Retrovisions, so that's both safe and an excellent choice.
As a note, flash carts don't matter for video output. Fair question though!
Hao

Post by Hao »

retrorgb wrote:

100% safe to use as long as you use a properly-built Genesis 2 cable - You said you're using the HD Retrovisions, so that's both safe and an excellent choice.
As a note, flash carts don't matter for video output. Fair question though!
Would this include a JNX CMVS with a quality scart cable?
Note

Post by Note »

Hey G, I was interested in purchasing a gcompsw switch but noticed it's currently listed as sold out. Will there be a restock? And if so, what's the estimated timeframe? Thanks!