Cotton Reboot, COTTON ROCK N' ROLL 2 ANNOUNCED!

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!

Choose

BIG
9%
COT
16%
TON
15%
PAN
30%
TSU
31%

Total votes: 101

Ms. Tea

Re: Cotton Remake/Port - AND A NEW COTTON GAME!? [PS4/PC/SW]

Post by Ms. Tea »

The Asian release doesn't have English (just Japanese/Chinese/Korean), so I doubt the English release is even ready for release for a bit. Wouldn't count on the ININ/SLG release making it out until at least after they have English ready to go, lol.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

I assume the 1991 OG plays almost exactly like Cotton 2 and Boomerang ?
It's a side scroller, but a good deal more basic; no grabbing/throwing enemies or special command shots like in the Saturn-era entries (though the new "remix" mode adds some extra elements). It's also got a weirdly grim visual style outside of Cotton herself, most of the backgrounds and enemies seem to be from a completely different game than she is.
Sengoku Strider wrote:I wouldn't say it was massively overpriced (€39.99), but nothing but silence from SLG today while you guys are getting your Asian orders shipped...>_>

Have fun. I'll chime in in May or something.
The "manufacture updates" page says March/April and was last updated in January, so...yeah, May. If we're really lucky. :P
Johnpv

Post by Johnpv »

BulletMagnet wrote: Have fun. I'll chime in in May or something.
The "manufacture updates" page says March/April and was last updated in January, so...yeah, May. If we're really lucky. :P[/quote]

With the crap shipping company they use I would expect more June/July.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I went with Amazon Japan for this one and I was just charged for it, so it should be shipping soon.

Edit: It shipped shortly after I typed that.
Last edited by BrianC on Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wittischism

Post by Wittischism »

My order status at Nin Nin says "preparation in progress". The charge went through when I preordered, so I can't tell that way for my order.

Update: Shipped, expected to arrive on March 1st
AAA

Post by AAA »

Am struggling to find Cotton Reboot on the Japanese PS Store (on PS5) - any clues?
Ms. Tea

Post by Ms. Tea »

Beep say a technical glitch is keeping it from showing up and they're trying to get it fixed: https://twitter.com/BEEP_SHOP/status/13 ... 6507949057
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Switch version showed up from Amazon.jp and came with a sheet of stickers I wasn't expecting. Great package with *gasp* artwork on the interior and a little move sheet.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

Jonpachi wrote:Switch version showed up from Amazon.jp and came with a sheet of stickers I wasn't expecting. Great package with *gasp* artwork on the interior and a little move sheet.
Right after reading your post I figured I’d just check the front porch to see if a package from Play-Asia had been left, and sure enough, there it was! I’m still at work so I’ll open it up later.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Spent an hour or so with it, and so far it seems like a great collection. The original PC version is great, and quite a bit more approachable than the arcade original. I have the original on the Astro City Mini, and I was able to make it to Stage 5 on my first attempt, something I haven't been able to do on a credit so far on the arcade original. All the extra animations and little touches really bring it to life in a new way.

The reboot version is pretty nuts visually, and there seems to be some very deep scoring opportunity for players that like to chase big numbers. I love the over-the-top slot machine visuals, but I did die a couple times when a lone bullet got lost behind all the gigantic flashing numbers flooding the screen. Still, the visual polish is very high, and I'll definitely be playing this version the most.

The one big gripe... as far as I can tell there are no save states. If they are buried in some secret menu please help me out. I tried everything I could think of, but they don't seem to be included. It's not a deal-breaker, but I would have loved the chance to practice some of the trickier sections, especially because scoring in the new mode is very much tied to knowing when and where to turn on your boost mode.
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

Given all of the nonsense surrounding the input delay on the recent Capcom collections, I thought I should mention that Cotton Reboot has very responsive directional control on Switch. It really continues to baffle me how some developers can nail the input buffer properly while others feel it necessary to add another 3 to 4 frames of delay.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Yeah it's snappy and responsive as hell. M2 level of quality here.

Oh, and that teacup? QUALITY. Makes me want to go get some nice sake to sip while I'm playing the game.

The LE package also came with two nice replica move strips and a little standee. It's funny that the standee promotes the game as being "2P!" but the console release only supports single player.
BIL

Post by BIL »

This is the second time in two days I've been blindsided by a new STG release I want, and I love that. :o
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Hope you guys did the tutorial the first time playing this. It has Cotton and Silk showing you the ways of this game.
Ms. Tea

Post by Ms. Tea »

BEEP say the PS4 download release will be out on 3/3: https://www.beep-shop.com/sap/cottonreboot/update.html
marus

Post by marus »

Jonpachi wrote:Switch version showed up from Amazon.jp and came with a sheet of stickers I wasn't expecting. Great package with *gasp* artwork on the interior and a little move sheet.
I'm glad you posted this. My PS4 copy came in yesterday from Amazon.jp too, and I almost mistook the sticker sheet for the packing slip. You saved them from the trash, haha.

Anyways to give my first impressions: I put some time into the game yesterday and today, and to be honest I have mixed feelings. This is my first time playing the original Cotton, and while the game itself is fun, for an almost full price release the port is really barebones. Maybe I'm just spoiled by M2, but at this price I really expect there to be at least a basic practice mode or save states, not to mention replays. After spending some time with this port, I ended up downloading an x68000 emulator, XM6 TypeG. I was curious to see how that would compare to the port. It was a bit of a pain to set up, but once I got it going I have to say it's been a better experience simply due to having save states for practice. The emulator also scales better on my 1440p monitor (although to be fair that's the PS4's fault and not the game's).

Although the port is barebones, I do think it gets the important parts right. The game runs smoothly and the controls feel responsive - I don't have a way to measure input lag but if there is any it doesn't hinder the game at all. Additionally the game is upscaled nice and sharp - I haven't done any side-by-side comparisons but I can't notice any obvious scaling or scrolling artifacts. Lastly, while I haven't put a ton of time into it yet, the new reboot mode looks pretty cool. The new sprites they drew are very charming and suit the game well. I imagine this is where the majority of the development time went into, and while I personally would have liked to see the developers put more effort into the original game, they did a good job here. The new voice acting for the cutscenes is also well done and adds some nice flavor.

Overall I'm glad this port came out because I probably wouldn't have ever tried the original Cotton game otherwise, especially not the x68000 version. However, now that I'm set up with XM6 TypeG I honestly don't have a reason to go back to the PS4 port. If it had those key practice and replay features then it'd be a different story, but otherwise the only selling point is that you don't have to spend time setting up an emulator (which you only have to do once). I'll probably spend some more time with the reboot mode later, but as far as the original game goes I'm a little underwhelmed.
Wittischism

Post by Wittischism »

Jonpachi wrote:Yeah it's snappy and responsive as hell. M2 level of quality here.

Totally agree. Buttery smooth to play, especially with an arcade stick.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Marus, is there absolutely no stage select mode or something to that effect? Pretty crazy to not include that in 2021!
marus

Post by marus »

There isn't, unless I'm just missing it :?
I don't want to rag on this release too much because the x68000 is a cool version of the game that isn't widely available, but it really feels like this could have been a budget release. I guess most of the value comes from the new Reboot mode, but the lack of options is still disappointing.

This is a cross-post from the High Score thread, but I've put a few more credits in and noticed some differences between the x68000 and PS4 versions. I'm not too familiar with this game so I don't know which of these are actual changes or bugs with the XM6 emulator:
marus wrote: I haven't done any in-depth comparisons, but from what I can tell there are a few differences between the original x68000 version and the port. Most are pretty small but one is big. I'm not super familiar with the game and I can't play on an original x68000 computer, so I'm not sure if these are due to emulator bugs or if there were multiple versions of the game released - I'm curious if anyone more familiar with the game can chime in.
  • The original x68000 is way more generous with extends. I wasn't paying super close attention but I definitely got extends at 100,000 and 300,000 points, and I think 500,000 as well. On PS4 I only noticed getting an extend at 100,000. I still haven't gotten that far on the PS4 version so I don't know if that's the only extend you get, or if the values are just different. This is by far the biggest difference I've noticed so far.
  • On the PS4, as soon as you beat a boss you can't shoot any more shots until the next stage. On the x68000 you can continue to shoot until the Tea Time starts. This is important as it means on PS4 you can't shoot the crystals to change their color after the boss is defeated.
  • The PS4 version gives you a new dedicated Magic button. You can do the different magic attacks by either tapping it or by holding it down. In the x68000 you only have 2 buttons, and you do the different magic attacks by holding down just the A button, or holding both the A+B buttons. This means you can use some of the magic attacks faster in the PS4 version, since you don't have to hold the button down.
  • This might be placebo, but it feels to me like you build exp faster on the x68000, or maybe shots do more damage. This could just be my autofire setting being more aggressive in the XM6 emulator though.
  • There's more slowdown in the x68000 version. Again, this could be due to the emulator though (and different versions of the x68000 could have different slowdown too for all I know).
Overall I think the extra extends and slowdown makes the x68000 version WAY easier. I'm not sure if the slowdown is supposed to be intentional, but the missing extends in the PS4 version is a really weird change.
SuperDeadite

Post by SuperDeadite »

In the X68000 original, you can adjust which scores give you extends in the options.

Cotton was a very late release and powerful machines like X68030 were already out. Original game recommends 16mhz, 4mb of RAM and HD install for best performance. On my XVI the game never slows down, silky smooth even on YOU DO difficulty.

If you are emulating a stock 10mhz machine it will slowdown a lot, but thats not really how the game was meant to be played. Just compatible for people with older machines.

Remember this was a computer game, original supports both 15khz and 31khz video modes in either 4:3 or forced widescreen.

This port can't be judged like an arcade port.
marus

Post by marus »

Thanks for the info. I had set the emulator CPU to 25mhz, but there might be some other settings I need to mess with too, or maybe the slowdown is just inherent to the emulator. I think you make a good point about this not being an arcade port; things like slowdown accuracy can't be judged with the same importance. Some of the other changes are still kind of weird to me though.

This might be a dumb question, but how do you adjust the score extends? I can't find that in the options in either the original or the port; I only see that you can adjust the starting lives.

Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

If this had save-states I'd be mainlining the new mode all weekend, but as-is I'm spacing out my sessions. I really enjoy what they did to the game, and it's something I will stick with until I clear it, but grinding through the first four levels to get to what I want to practice does feel incredibly outdated.
SuperDeadite

Post by SuperDeadite »

Hmm, I swore you could change extends, but I guess not, I jave so many versions of Cotton and it's been awhile lol. Anyway here's my old direct capture off my real XVI for performance checking.

https://youtu.be/qEkMzIlskmg

Another thing to remember is that all X68000 models run at the fairly exotic 55htz. Which is hard to match on modern hardware. Konami screwed this up with Castlevania Chronicles too.

I plan to pickup Reboot, but only for the actual remake.
Special World

Post by Special World »

Only tried it very briefly, but i’m not sure how much the new mechanics really add to the game? I feel like the original is a little better. The “charge up your gauge for score frenzy” mechanic seems a little one dimensional, and I feel like Cotton’s power levels are more fitting in the original game.
http://catstronaut.wordpress.com/
  • catstronaut loves games
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Special World wrote:Only tried it very briefly, but i’m not sure how much the new mechanics really add to the game? I feel like the original is a little better. The “charge up your gauge for score frenzy” mechanic seems a little one dimensional, and I feel like Cotton’s power levels are more fitting in the original game.
I agree somewhat having spent more time with it. It basically boils down to memorizing when and where you should unleash your charge meter, and a lot of the levels and boss patterns are padded with hoards of enemies just to make the score system relevant. Still, the overall visual polish and quality-of-life improvements over the original make it the superior version imho.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Goddamn, I wanna pick this up. Looking forward to Weds, sounds marvelous.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

I like it in concept because it gives something extra to do with the power crystals instead of juggling them (not terribly fond of that) and some extra incentive besides "shoot every enemy."

BTW I see that apparently the game is already completely in English, but a day-one patch removes the English language from the game entirely. So if you want to enjoy a run or so of the plot in your native tongue, don't patch! Is this some scuzzy partnership with the idiots at SLG to drum up import sales? Apparently the translation is pretty rough and you can bet your bottom dollar SLG did not do anything to fix it up (but they will slap their shitty 8bit logo on everything under the sun).
Johnpv

Post by Johnpv »

EmperorIng wrote:I like it in concept because it gives something extra to do with the power crystals instead of juggling them (not terribly fond of that) and some extra incentive besides "shoot every enemy."

BTW I see that apparently the game is already completely in English, but a day-one patch removes the English language from the game entirely. So if you want to enjoy a run or so of the plot in your native tongue, don't patch! Is this some scuzzy partnership with the idiots at SLG to drum up import sales? Apparently the translation is pretty rough and you can bet your bottom dollar SLG did not do anything to fix it up (but they will slap their shitty 8bit logo on everything under the sun).
That would explain why I saw a pre-launch video of it with full English and that I get the game it updates and there's hardly any English. WTF!
Special World

Post by Special World »

They should have at least kept gem juggling for the powerup mode. It would be a really neat risk reward to try and juggle scads of gems during boss fights. As it is, there’s just... nothing there. It may as well not even be a mechanic as far as I’m concerned. Powerup mode is kinda like Deathsmiles without any imagination. I don’t looove the gem juggling in the original game, but it does make the game feel like its own thing.

Not trying to be overly critical. Maybe there’s more to it than I can see. And the game certainly has other merits. But i’m not sure if I’ll be favoring it over the original other than that it seems easier to get a clear on.
Last edited by Special World on Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
http://catstronaut.wordpress.com/
  • catstronaut loves games
BIL

Post by BIL »

Joke's on them, I can't read (`ω´メ)