UltraHDMI group-buy ROUND 7 - 2021-01-30 UPDATE

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
The1legend

Re: UltraHDMI group-buy ROUND 7 - 2021-01-30 UPDATE

Post by The1legend »

edd247 wrote:
The1legend wrote:Hi thanks again guys for putting this group together its been a bumpy ride for round 7 but the light is at the end of the tunnel . I'm well within the first batch of kits , there was a post earlier about reaching out to confirm addresses and to see who wants Dac attachments but i never received an email, i did send an email inquiring about it but i have yet to receive reply which is to be expected considering the amount of people in this group buy . I'm curious did I get overlooked or are you guys still going through the lists ?
Check the spreadsheet. It looks like if you have a serial number on your name then you should be in the first batch.

i appreciate you pointing that out i didnt see the serial numbers . that is well under the amount of kits received tho so that cant be all of them plus it skips a bunch of participants to 108 which im assuming is someone local who picked up .
Eclipse00

Post by Eclipse00 »

The1legend wrote:
edd247 wrote:
The1legend wrote:Hi thanks again guys for putting this group together its been a bumpy ride for round 7 but the light is at the end of the tunnel . I'm well within the first batch of kits , there was a post earlier about reaching out to confirm addresses and to see who wants Dac attachments but i never received an email, i did send an email inquiring about it but i have yet to receive reply which is to be expected considering the amount of people in this group buy . I'm curious did I get overlooked or are you guys still going through the lists ?
Check the spreadsheet. It looks like if you have a serial number on your name then you should be in the first batch.

i appreciate you pointing that out i didnt see the serial numbers . that is well under the amount of kits received tho so that cant be all of them plus it skips a bunch of participants to 108 which im assuming is someone local who picked up .

I was wondering about this too. The number of serial numbers in the google sheet is a lot less than the number of kits received. I'm assuming the sheet will be updated as time goes on?

Thank you guys for doing this, it sounds like you've been busting your ass. Despite the delays, this is an amazing contribution to the community. Props for keeping everybody updated and continuing this project.
Lord_Thoth

Post by Lord_Thoth »

Hi,
first of all, I would like to thank Ichinisan and CZroe for their great work on this group buy.
They take a lot of beating at the moment which they do not deserve.

But I have a question to them and the rest of the people in this thread, especially to the people who have been part of one of the earlier rounds.

I live in Germany (Europe).
Do I have to prepare anything with the customs office in order to receive my PCB?
I am afraid to lose my UltraHDMI to disputes with Customs.
Does anybody have experience with importing such devices to Europe / Germany?
And Ichinisan and CZroe, do you put labeling with an invoice on the package?
Do you have anything like an invoice or an confirmation of payment for me which I can show to customs if I have to?
My guess is that you two have experience in how to handle customs, but I would like to be sure ;)
And I hope that I am just seeing things too complicated.

I hope this will also clear things up for other people who have to Import to Europe.

Best regards

Thoth
cohibadad

Post by cohibadad »

Hello,

New here so I'm trying to catch up on all that's happening. I was looking for an UltraHDMI and it looks like the group buy has come in and there are cancellations with the N64Digital. Are there units available now?

Thanks,

Darin
CZroe

Post by CZroe »

Sorry I didn't make it back to the thread sooner. Didn't have any downtime at work and hoped to catch up on the weekend but my phone was tied up for most of Sat/Sun:
Full
...and that 31-39 hour estimate was AFTER it spent most of Sat transferring!

It's P2P so I can't even use the old phone with WiFi. Been putting the lengthy transfer off and figured it was as good a time as any since I didn't need distractions with all the work I expected to be doing. I actually caught up really quick and was back to waiting as my brother slowly contacts each person in succession. Had a bit of downtime yesterday only to realize I had none of my saved passwords for the forums and such. Ugh.

Anyway, you may have noticed Jason/GameTechUS received his:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gssH1nDqjmQ

Weeks ago Marshall said he needed to talk to Jason but it sounds like he still hasn't. Hope that's because he's focusing on the 400 kits he has for the group buy, but I also hope that he reaches out to GameTechUS, Consoles4U, etc soon.

In the video he points out that the kit was shipped with the DAC in place. This was done because the official intallation instructions had not yet been updated to show the correct orientation and because they were shipped panelized and would not fit in individually sealed segments of the ESD bags. As long as there is nothing else in the box to damage it, the DAC should be no more likely to come free and damage other components than if it were installed in a console that was subsequently shipped.
Last edited by CZroe on Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:50 am, edited 3 times in total.
CZroe

Post by CZroe »

Eclipse00 wrote:I'm currently 88 on the list. I still need to send you my N64 and update my shipping address (I moved).

I'm assuming one of you will email again when its time for that?
Yes, he will contact you if he is able to allocate one of them.
terzdesign wrote:Any word on whether or not participants can opt to be switched to N64Digital or not?
Many of you will be able to switch but it's unclear how far down the list it will go until we finish distributing these 230 HW2. Even then, the 400 more HW2 kits that are already made may also factor in since a lot of people who wanted to switch are opting to stick with HW2 once we contact them about their kit. Because there will not be enough N64Digital to transition everyone, my advice is to hold your place in line AND try to get one when it launches. If you get one, awesome! We would be happy to refund yours and install it, and that frees up one more for another group buy participant.

Though I'd love to get one for myself I will be right there with you guys trying to get one on launch day and it will go to satisfy a group-buy member at-cost (maybe even you?). :)
PressLeft wrote:I got in relatively late, August of 2020. The same month I happened to also successfully nab a pre-order an Analogue Pocket. So I realize I’ve waited far less than others and that I’ve been fairly lucky with retro-game tech. But it seemed pretty clear when I jumped on board that there wouldn’t be any expectation of timeline for delivery on these things. I of course want a digital solution for my N64 as soon as possible, but I’m more than happy with the service from Ichisan and CZRoe here.

I see a lot of negativity right now, and it’s not all unfounded, but I just wanted to express my thanks for organizing this group-buy in the first place! The N64Digital wasn’t something we could have expected even a couple months ago, so waiting on this group buy was the best bet I felt I had. I’m extremely excited for it, and since August I’ve actually become the parent of a 6 year old boy who is *very* into the N64 sitting in my office. It’ll be really cool to get to share in the excitement of this visual upgrade with him when it finally gets delivered!

Thanks for your hard work fellas!
Congratulations! Through 2018/2019 my roommate's 4/5 year old would come to visit his dad and would only stop playing Super Mario 64 to play Splatterhouse... yeah, probably shouldn't be playing that one but the kid's a huge Jason/Freddy/Pennywise/FNAF fan and his dad loves it. Since his dad moved the kid is having N64 withdrawl. We have so many just N64s around (perfect for a kid) I know what he's getting for Christmas. ;)

Regarding the predictability of it, as the months passed I almost expected to see clones or alternatives. Heck, I'd expect that even if the pace continued like 2017/1018 just because the demand was clearly there. "Money on the table," so to speak. That's why I felt such a huge relief when we got that tracking number on January 28th only to feel like the rug was yanked out from under us two days later. Still, I'm excited for N64Digital and glad that it won't require anything like this to source after the initial rush is over. The whole goal was to do our part to get people their proper HDMI upgrades and we can do that by helping people source/install N64Digital too!
Still going through the list. I wish I could help with that part but his system requires him to correspond back and forth with each and he can't do more than a few at a time. It's taking far longer than it should to get enough answers for us to even start modding consoles or shipping kits each day. If you are well within the first batch I can assure you that you won't be overlooked with all the back and forth he's doing each step of the way. :) It's excruciatingly slow considering how long it took to get this far but he'll get to you!
Max_P0 wrote:I am at Number 174.

I will take refund or kits.. whatever...
Noted. Thanks! Sorry for the delay.
dryja123 wrote:
CZroe wrote:I missed this...

Please remember that we are not vendors making money and taking losses from profits to satisfy customers. This is a non-profit group buy. When we give up potential profit or lose money to currency conversion or PayPal fees, we really are losing money in order to help like-minded N64 fans.
Where are you donating the money made from the 200+ installs? To say you’re not profiting from this is simply untrue.
Unreal.

The group buy is not for install services. Those were never in short supply. Discounted installs were offered additionally to help people who otherwise couldn't get one at all, though some people chose us to reward us for our group buy efforts by choosing us (thanks!).

We've always said that anyone who can install them SHOULD until demand is met, so anyone is free to DIY install, BYO installer, and even other installers were welcome. Yes, the *entirely optional* installs helped offset the minor losses from the people buying just a kit. That's all we were ever making and the difference in price between N64Digital and HW2 takes a big chunk out of that, and then there are all the PayPal fees and currency conversion fees for all the refunds.

Look at the log in the OP. Look at every one of those notes about "absorbing" fees and understand that these losses have continued even though he has not been able to come back and update the thread. The profit from the installs has been getting "donated" to the group buy, so there is your answer.
flipsideaut wrote:Could someone maybe tell me if i have to "unpopulate" something if i only want to use HDMI and on a NUS-CPU(P)-02 ? -> The 02 PAL version as im located in Europe.
-> it seems on the NUS-CPU(P)-02 board there is pretty much everything missing compared to the pictures where CZroe marked the un/populated components.
It's only for people with the analog DAC for RGB/YPbPr component. Even then, my concern with PAL consoles was just making sure Nintendo didn't connect 12v to C-Sync on the multi-out like they did on PAL SNES consoles (they are expected to sync from Y/Luma or CVBS/Composite Video). I have NUS-CPU(P)-02 NUS-CPU(P)-03 on hand from other group buy members and checked both back when I got the prototype in August. They are good, and everything I read about online says NUS-CPU(P)-01 should be good too (no 12v on C-Sync). Removing components is only a concern for the earliest NTSC consoles and only if you are getting the DAC. :)
The1legend wrote:i appreciate you pointing that out i didnt see the serial numbers . that is well under the amount of kits received tho so that cant be all of them plus it skips a bunch of participants to 108 which im assuming is someone local who picked up .
Yes, most are place-holders he told me that some of the people with serial numbers next to their name have already been refunded and their kits will be reallocated but he is leaving them there until he know how many he can reallocate.

In past rounds when someone was refunded after we had already paid Marshall for their kit then it meant we had essentially paid for it so we ended up keeping/selling it rather than denying the refund. I mean, of course we would rather have another kit to sell as a pre-modded console on the open market. ;)

Though we could still justify doing that, it became clear long ago that we weren't getting nearly enough to cover everyone and doing so would deprive people for profit. I believe it was back in November when my brother promised to reallocate them to group buyers further down the list other than a few existing obligations (the kit reserved for GameTechUS, for example), giving up all potential profit for those kits.
Lord_Thoth wrote:Do I have to prepare anything with the customs office in order to receive my PCB?
I am afraid to lose my UltraHDMI to disputes with Customs.
Does anybody have experience with importing such devices to Europe / Germany?
And Ichinisan and CZroe, do you put labeling with an invoice on the package?
Do you have anything like an invoice or an confirmation of payment for me which I can show to customs if I have to?
We haven't heard of any issues like that yet. In many circumstances a bare kit is technically an unfinished/wholesale good, technical sample, component, etc which are often exempt from import fees. He typically labels them as "videogame accessory" or "console component" or "N64 upgrade/part" or something like that on the customs forms and it seems to work out. If anyone has had a different experience, definitely let us know. :)
flipsideaut

Post by flipsideaut »

flipsideaut wrote:
Could someone maybe tell me if i have to "unpopulate" something if i only want to use HDMI and on a NUS-CPU(P)-02 ? -> The 02 PAL version as im located in Europe.
-> it seems on the NUS-CPU(P)-02 board there is pretty much everything missing compared to the pictures where CZroe marked the un/populated components.

It's only for people with the analog DAC for RGB/YPbPr component. Even then, my concern with PAL consoles was just making sure Nintendo didn't connect 12v to C-Sync on the multi-out like they did on PAL SNES consoles (they are expected to sync from Y/Luma or CVBS/Composite Video). I have NUS-CPU(P)-02 NUS-CPU(P)-03 on hand from other group buy members and checked both back when I got the prototype in August. They are good, and everything I read about online says NUS-CPU(P)-01 should be good too (no 12v on C-Sync). Removing components is only a concern for the earliest NTSC consoles and only if you are getting the DAC. :)
Thank you, wasn't sure, now its clear, appreaciate answering all the questions - Keep up the good work =)
evildede

Post by evildede »

Just wanted to say I got my UltraHDMI N64 today! It was a long wait that's for sure, but totally worth it!
Lopenator

Post by Lopenator »

evildede wrote:Just wanted to say I got my UltraHDMI N64 today! It was a long wait that's for sure, but totally worth it!
Wow. Congrats!
Ichinisan

Post by Ichinisan »

[2021-02-28]

As with HW1, you should add some solder to the anchor tabs for the mini HDMI connector. I believe the connector is made for a much thinner PCB (such as a cell phone). The factory just can't seem to get much solder there (if any). My brother had been adding solder to the mini HDMI port anchor tabs for each kit, but recently I've shipped a few kits that didn't have the extra reinforcement.

I have not seen an updated install guide from RetroActive covering HW2. People are receiving their kits so I will add some notes here.

HW2 has a slightly different flat cable. The extra connection is for in-game reset (IGR). It should connect to pin 27 of the PIF chip. Alternately you can use a wire and connect it wherever you connected IGR with your HW1 installs (I typically used a point underneath the N64 board for my HW1 installs). If there is any problem soldering the fingers directly, you can use the little test pads on the flat cable to attach wires. If you do that I suggest you snip the dangling unused parts of the flat cable so they don't make unintended contact.

The rest of this pretty much only applies for the optional analog DAC module.

CZroe's post earlier this month shows where you might need to remove some components. Typically these are only found on early NTSC boards (NUS-CPU-03 and earlier). These are the same components that would also need to be removed for any other RGB upgrade (viletim, borti, bypass amp, etc)
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=63381&p=1442707#p1442707

These old pictures I shared in May will help to show the orientation of the DAC module and the DAC flex.

DAC module on the UltraHDMI HW2
bigger: https://i.imgur.com/GN5q5tq.jpg

Installed in N64, viewed from above
bigger: https://i.imgur.com/fbA6KIT.jpg

Below N64 motherboard
bigger: https://i.imgur.com/HjUfBJ0.jpg

Most of the difficulty is just getting everything settled in-place. Marshall suggested pushing the DAC onto its connector after putting everything into position, but I am never comfortable assuming it is aligned. I connect everything first and gently work them into the correct places as I lower all three boards (N64 + UltraHDMI + DAC) into the bottom shell of the N64. As you lower everything into place, you might be tempted to lift the boards back out if they are not settling correctly. Be careful because the UltraHDMI board might already be wedging into place and you could rip the DAC flex.

Take care to avoid ripping the DAC flex if you need to lift the N64 board out from the bottom shell or remove the UltraHDMI. The UltraHDMI fits snugly in its position, and probably will not lift out freely with the N64 board. This is how I do it when I need to take everything out from the bottom shell of the system: I hold everything together as I flip it upside-down, supporting everything with an open palm. Then I gently jiggle the shell until it releases everything -- especially the UltraHDMI board. Then I slowly lift the shell STRAIGHT up as I continue to jiggle and make sure nothing snags. If you have a really tight mini HDMI notch cut, an assistant could use their fingernail to help release the UltraHDMI so it drops out. Also be careful not to lose the little metal brackets and plastic light guide as they would also fall out.

It was difficult to count the DAC flexes Marshall sent with these packages in February, but it seems to be exactly enough for the 115 DAC modules. I did a lot of swapping and testing with the kit I received back in August, so I actually ripped a DAC flex at some point. A few extra DAC flex cables were included with that one. Those have a factory error requiring holes to be cut for the AV pins to poke through, but they can be used if needed.

If you are using no-cut pieces from the current Greg Collins' (aka "collingall" or LaserBear.net) design, you will need to snip some plastic from the hood piece on the side closest to the DAC. Otherwise it will push down on the corner of the DAC and it will disconnect from the UltraHDMI board. I crudely modified the existing model with Windows 10's built-in "3D Builder" app.

STL: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ckal2U ... sp=sharing
3MF: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SJwp15 ... sp=sharing
CZroe

Post by CZroe »

Since I tore a prototype analog flex when messing with the early unit back in August I anticipate that I won’t be the only one. As Ichinisan said, we did not receive any extra analog flexes. They were 1:1 DACs. No one has requested a replacement so far but I wanted to get ahead of that by researching alternatives.

If you do damage the analog flex the DAC connector for the FFC should fit a 4.5mm 8P ZIF/FPC cable. You could pair that with a breakout board and manually wire to the multi-out like eTim’s N64RGB.

Example FPC:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/164335875868
Example breakout board:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/284086883065

The cable will have almost twice as many connections as it uses on the multi-out since every other pin is Ground. It’s for signal integrity more than redundancy so you probably want to connect them all on the breakout at least. I don’t know the pin numbering on the ZIF/FPC side so I’m just going to start counting from the one that goes to Pin 1 on the multi-out. Looks like:
Pin 1 Red (Multi-out Pin 1)
Pin 2 Ground (Multi-out Pins 5 & 6)
Pin 3 Green (Multi-out Pin 2)
Pin 4 Ground (Multi-out Pins 5 & 6)
Pin 5 Blue (Multi-out Pin 4)
Pin 6 Ground (Multi-out Pins 5 & 6)
Pin 7 C-Sync (Multi-out Pin 3)
Pin 8 Ground (Multi-out Pins 5 & 6)

I haven’t needed to do this yet but I did order some 10P 5.5mm FPCs and breakouts (0.5mm pitch) to replace bad PS1Digital audio flexes.
Dax

Post by Dax »

Ichinisan wrote:[2021-02-28]

As with HW1, you should add some solder to the anchor tabs for the mini HDMI connector. I believe the connector is made for a much thinner PCB (such as a cell phone). The factory just can't seem to get much solder there (if any). My brother had been adding solder to the mini HDMI port anchor tabs for each kit, but recently I've shipped a few kits that didn't have the extra reinforcement.

I have not seen an updated install guide from RetroActive covering HW2. People are receiving their kits so I will add some notes here.

[...]
Fantastic, thank you so much for the write-up and pictures, Ichinisan! You and CZroe have been super thorough.

I'm getting a friend who is experienced in intricate soldering to install mine and two other friends' UltraHDMI HW2 + DACs when they arrive. Would I simply be able to give him this post, plus maybe the old guide, and that'd give him everything he needs to install them?
tomnook123

Post by tomnook123 »

I requested a refund on January 31st. Any ETA on that?
CZroe

Post by CZroe »

Dax wrote:I'm getting a friend who is experienced in intricate soldering to install mine and two other friends' UltraHDMI HW2 + DACs when they arrive. Would I simply be able to give him this post, plus maybe the old guide, and that'd give him everything he needs to install them?
The old guide is great for the digital side of the install. The only notable differences are the type of ZIF latch (self-explanatory) and the IGR connection moved to the flex (short leg). Same instructions apply for connection points.

For the DAC and analog flex install our posts should suffice for now, though it’s still very fiddly to get it all together. For most consoles you just make sure holes 1 & 2 on the flex are over pins 1 & 2 under the multi-AV, solder all six connections, and carefully fit it all back together in the orientation shown by Ichinisan.

For NTSC launch units your installer will want to disconnect pin 3 from existing C-Sync. Look for R14 & C22 nearby and remove them if present. This step only matters if you insist on using a true C-Sync RGBS cable. C-Sync from a “sync stripper,” HD Retrovision, CVBS/Luma sync cables, etc won’t care what’s on pin 3, and neither will the the new YPbPr and RGsB cable options..

The extra step applies to NUS-CPU-01 (JP launch), NUS-CPU-02 (early JP + pre-launch NA kiosks), and *some* NUS-CPU-03 (early JP + US launch). Nintendo stopped populating those components on subsequent NUS-CPU-03 shipments but the unpopulated footprints are still there on the much more common NUS-CPU-04. They also left R1, R15, R16, and Q1 unpopulated so it’s safe to remove all of those if present.
bbsan2k

Post by bbsan2k »

@ichnisan @CZRoe thanks for all the efforts you are taking to make the group buy a success despite all the issues with Marshall.

Is there any chance you can go through your mail before the N64Ditial launch? From what I understood it should be in about a month, and if I cannot get it from you or my ultraHDMI order is too low in the list I‘d like to be first in line for an N64Digital order on their store...

I know- checking on all this mail is quiet challenging... But maybe you find some time for this in march...
TickleMyElmo

Post by TickleMyElmo »

Hey just curious as to how the distribution of the other 400 or so parts will go, or is going. Considering the 230 or so kits from the first batch is only covering 108-109 customers.

Just a suggestion, when kits are limited personally id say 1 kit per customer untill the bulk of customers have their 1 kit then customers with multiple kits could receive additional kits after. But hey thats just me.
Woulda turned that about 100 customers into the actual 230 that deserved it for waiting.

Only curious as to how its going with these other 400 kits cuz if its similar i could roughly guesstimate that 400 kits will cover about 150-170 customers, which would mean you'd need another 400 kits just as another guess to finish up for the people on the list who have paid in full, thats not mentioning the ones who have paid in part.
terzdesign

Post by terzdesign »

Soo... is the plan to work the way down the list and input Serial Numbers for each participant as you go? Right now the list is showing the dude who ordered 100 units is being fulfilled if that is the case.
Socalju

Post by Socalju »

Any word on refunds? I requested one weeks ago now. Thanks.
WinManX2000

Post by WinManX2000 »

Socalju wrote:Any word on refunds? I requested one weeks ago now. Thanks.
Wondering the same thing myself. I sent a refund request Jan 30 and again a few days ago. Nothing but silence.
steadycamscott

Post by steadycamscott »

I have sent requests for a refund. When will I get my money back?
terzdesign

Post by terzdesign »

As have I. Looks like they are working their way down the sheet though, inputing Serials as they get done. If that's the case it would mean I'm due up very soon. Will keep everyone informed.
Fluor

Post by Fluor »

I appreciate the effort for the group buy as well. But I feel very unlucky that I put the down payment one week before the N64 Digital was announced lol.

I asked for a refund before I heard of the possibility of the group buy switching to N64 digital, so I decided to wait a bit. I'd really like having the N64 Digital, but it would be great to hear if that deal is going to work out or not.
CZroe

Post by CZroe »

Ichinisan got a little carried away testing this one. ;)

Not sure what's going on with my notifications because I got one email over a week ago with no new post visible in the thread (probably a filtered new user post) and then NO notification for the others. Ugh.

Still installing kits every day and during recent testing we found that one of my DAC installs wasn't working. I double-checked the components I had to remove and reflowed all the flexes. No good. I tried the DAC from another fully-tested HW2 board and it didn't work either. It took a lot of swapping to isolate but both DACs worked in the other install and neither worked in the other-wise functional install until a known-good HW2 board was swapped. At least one HW2 board is not working with the DAC (still functionally equivalent to HW1). No, it doesn’t correlate to those three kits that showed DACs installed even when they weren’t.

We test every DAC install with digital and analog and we already tested every kit for digital functionality regardless of whether or not you got installation service. Until my ZIF cables and 8P breakout boards get here next month we don’t have a robust-enough way to test a DAC with every kit we didn’t install. These will need to be long gone by next month so it’d be good for installers to check all of theirs with their first analog install while we can still take care of you. There already aren't enough DACs to go around as it is so we don’t want a useful DAC paired with a digital-only kit! :)

On that note: We did talk to Marshall this morning about the DAC situation and it sounds like there are more ready to order now... even showing up on our order page. Surprisingly, they are showing a couple bucks cheaper than he charged us even though he was originally going to charge 25% more. We asked if we could go ahead and order a few more things along with the DACs. ;)
bbsan2k wrote:@ichnisan @CZRoe thanks for all the efforts you are taking to make the group buy a success despite all the issues with Marshall.

Is there any chance you can go through your mail before the N64Ditial launch? From what I understood it should be in about a month, and if I cannot get it from you or my ultraHDMI order is too low in the list I‘d like to be first in line for an N64Digital order on their store...

I know- checking on all this mail is quiet challenging... But maybe you find some time for this in march...
Yes. He's systematically contacting everyone in order on the list regarding these kits and the first ~300 slots instead of the order they contacted him since those are the people he needs to clarify with first (more than 230 since refunds bump him further through the list). When he catches up with all of them I expect him to post here with an offer/gameplan for the remainder of you as well so that you can already have answers as he begins contacting you (presumably in the order you reached out). I did three console on my 1hr lunch break and still got back to work on time last night and are now processing some of the larger orders so we should be nearing the end of the first batch 230 kits. :) Expected to have another 400 by now but that’s in Marshall’s hands. Our side has gone far slower than I ever expected since my brother has to correspond with each and every person about refunds, N64Digital, DACs, etc while I tap my feet and work on other mod stuff.
TickleMyElmo wrote:Hey just curious as to how the distribution of the other 400 or so parts will go, or is going. Considering the 230 or so kits from the first batch is only covering 108-109 customers.
Not having them yet is already forcing us to ship some installers partial orders. GameTech’s announcement today tells me they are on the verge of shipping. Hoping they land on our doorstep just as we finish these up. :)
TickleMyElmo wrote:Just a suggestion, when kits are limited personally id say 1 kit per customer untill the bulk of customers have their 1 kit then customers with multiple kits could receive additional kits after. But hey thats just me.
I like the idea but that would deprive the people who waited the longest and invested the most as well as their friends, families, clients, etc. They also share the burden of distributing and installing these far and wide. It would also put me at odds with other installers when we never intended to use our position against them. An individual will still have the option of N64Digital vs. UltraHDMI but most installers don't have a line on multiple N64Digital kits and we are having to limit how many N64Digitals an installer gets when they chose to switch. Unfortunately, it can't be a choice for everyone... one installer wanted to switch his whole order which would have used HALF of our allotment of N64Digital!
TickleMyElmo wrote:Woulda turned that about 100 customers into the actual 230 that deserved it for waiting.

Only curious as to how its going with these other 400 kits cuz if its similar i could roughly guesstimate that 400 kits will cover about 150-170 customers, which would mean you'd need another 400 kits just as another guess to finish up for the people on the list who have paid in full, thats not mentioning the ones who have paid in part.
Well, 400 more kits is supposedly what Marshall has had for us all along but we haven't heard much about those since he assured us they weren't going to walk away from us while we waited for flexes from Korea. I I just saw that GameTechUS referred to 200 more that Marshall has ready, so it sounds like he really has 600 total. Wish he would've let us go ahead and order those too. :( We were a little too late responding to his message about an extra 50 kits that ended up going to ZeroHimself.
WinManX2000 wrote:
Wondering the same thing myself. I sent a refund request Jan 30 and again a few days ago. Nothing but silence.
He is still refunding as he corresponds with each person in line for a kit. He will get to you both! Sorry for the delay.
Fluor wrote:I appreciate the effort for the group buy as well. But I feel very unlucky that I put the down payment one week before the N64 Digital was announced lol.

I asked for a refund before I heard of the possibility of the group buy switching to N64 digital, so I decided to wait a bit. I'd really like having the N64 Digital, but it would be great to hear if that deal is going to work out or not.
Thanks.

If you are that far down the list it's very unlikely that you can get one from our small allotment of N64Digitals, but we may still have an offer for you. Stay tuned. :) I can say that everyone who wants one should still try to get one directly so that our allotment can stretch that much further down the list.
Last edited by CZroe on Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:12 pm, edited 4 times in total.
dubesinhower

Post by dubesinhower »

Please take me off the group buy/ refund me (dubesinhower) since I purchased a preorder through GameTech
Ichinisan

Post by Ichinisan »

[2021-03-11]
Quick update: I'm still working to allocate and process all these kits and refunds. Yesterday Marshall allowed me to order 300 kits that he currently has on-hand. I was expecting 400 units based on a previous conversation, but this will help a lot. Also he's taking a huge risk and producing many more than he has ever produced in the past. He didn't give numbers but I assume it means 1,000+ are in-production.
CZroe

Post by CZroe »

dubesinhower wrote: Please take me off the group buy/ refund me (dubesinhower) since I purchased a preorder through GameTech
Awesome! Glad you were able to get one. :) My brother is busy moving money around for the next big order but he will get to you.
Ichinisan wrote: Yesterday Marshall allowed me to order 300 kits that he currently has on-hand.
Hopefully the flexes from Korea are better than these:
https://imgur.com/a/AFeolMm

Granted, I’ve had the same issue with some PS1Digital GPU flexes:
https://imgur.com/a/CnltRV7

The castellated fingers are made with two annular rings and a plated thru-hole via connecting top and bottom, so the fab/PCBA didn’t cut all the way through on one side. In both cases the excess easily pulled off with a needle or razor.

Installers/DIY: Please BOLO for this on your flexes. If you see rings instead of fingers, remove the excess bits forming the ring before attempting to solder. Even if you manage to align perfectly despite the excess bits, they could easily come off when soldering and cause bridges.

Everyone: When looking for more like that we noticed that a bunch of them look a bit squared off, without the distinct fingers that grip each side of a pin and help with alignment. I definitely recall that many I have recently soldered did not seem to lock in place before soldering them down and this is likely why. Don’t rely on the precision fit to maintain alignment while soldering. Hold it in place until you tack it down with solder in the correct position.
Ichinisan wrote: I was expecting 400 units based on a previous conversation, but this will help a lot.
He promised they wouldn’t walk away back when we offered the cash for all 400 early. Hope the drop is just because he still needs to prepare the other 100 and doesn’t reflect a high reject rate.
Ichinisan wrote:Also he's taking a huge risk and producing many more than he has ever produced in the past.
Not complaining, but I wonder why he would even bother producing a “risky” amount without waiting to see what N64Digital does to the market. Maybe he’s got an angle. ;)
Moosmann

Post by Moosmann »

I haven't read through all the postings now, just ask where and how the easiest way for a German customer to order 1x Modkit. Thanks ;)
juji82

Post by juji82 »

CZroe wrote:
dubesinhower wrote: Please take me off the group buy/ refund me (dubesinhower) since I purchased a preorder through GameTech
Awesome! Glad you were able to get one. :) My brother is busy moving money around for the next big order but he will get to you.
I sent your brother a private message and an email. Please disregard both email and PM, I will keep my order :wink:
bbsan2k

Post by bbsan2k »

Woohoo - I‘m next one on the list (right after the bulk order).
Really looking forward hearing from you:)
Ninjafork

Post by Ninjafork »

Hello everyone.

I got my kit and made a mistake with the flex cable. Does anyone have any interest in selling me a spare you might have/are selling? I just need a cable.