IBARA!

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
jepjepjep

Re: IBARA!

Post by jepjepjep »

I love Robot No28 from the Castle stage. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnyNURd5QFc&t=943s
CanbeeShinobi2

Post by CanbeeShinobi2 »

XoPachi wrote: But yeah. I never know how to play games like this.
just dont die lol. :lol:
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

I always thought a cool little feature on the PCB was how you can set the clock that appears on the beginning of the rose garden stage to always show the correct time. Nice touch.
banjoted

Post by banjoted »

I only discovered the joys of Ibara late last year. I just love the physicality of the game. Big love, too, for PS2 Arrange - that's probably the version of the game I enjoy the most. FYI if you're not playing native you can get it looking absolutely great on PCSX2 with the right settings.
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

First time I saw ibara was running in a cab and I immediately fell in love with it.

I then looked for a PCB of my own and bought a copy. I would never sell it as it is just too good.

I seem to have a thing for yagawa's Shmups though, but I am aware that some of his Shmups would not appeal to all.
More Bromances = safer people
chempop

Post by chempop »

CanbeeShinobi2 wrote:
XoPachi wrote: But yeah. I never know how to play games like this.
just dont die lol. :lol:
Actually you crash into the first enemy in the game.
"I've had quite a few pcbs of Fire Shark over time, and none of them cost me over £30 - so it won't break the bank by any standards." ~Malc
zuntaito

Post by zuntaito »

CanbeeShinobi2 wrote:IBARA gameplay vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnyNURd5QFc
LOL'ing @ 3:36
Why did they zoom in on her crotch??! XD
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Because it's Ibara
Jose1980

Post by Jose1980 »

I just got back into shmups, and started learning about all this cave games/bullet hell and such and Holy crap I was missing out. I mean I loved all the r-types,raiden games and such but, never knew how much fun these games are. Anyways after all my research, I ended up getting a copy of ibara for my ps2 (region free). And can't wait to play it as soon as I get it. And yes, prices for this game is ridiculous but... it looks so good and 5hose graphics is that I prefer the most Like battle garegga.
banjoted

Post by banjoted »

Jose1980 wrote:I just got back into shmups, and started learning about all this cave games/bullet hell and such and Holy crap I was missing out. I mean I loved all the r-types,raiden games and such but, never knew how much fun these games are. Anyways after all my research, I ended up getting a copy of ibara for my ps2 (region free). And can't wait to play it as soon as I get it. And yes, prices for this game is ridiculous but... it looks so good and 5hose graphics is that I prefer the most Like battle garegga.
It's a gorgeous game. I love the destruction, explosions and debris - feels super 'chunky'.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

trap15 wrote:I think Ibara could be one of their best looking games, except everything is desaturated to fuck so it's just all a big mess of greybrown nightmares
I do remember messing with my monitor when I got the PCB trying to get a bit more saturation or contrast going. Later on the look did grow on me but I had a really good Hitachi new old stock arcade monitor that was super bright and colorful. The game absolutely does have a very washed out look, whether that was by intentional design it's hard to tell.
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

Desaturated sums it up nicely. It’s an all-time favorite but not for the way it looks.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

That's nuts considering one of the first things that drew me to Ibara was the fantastic aesthetics. And that was from seeing the PS2 port. I think the game looks amazing.
Jose1980

Post by Jose1980 »

Sumez wrote:That's nuts considering one of the first things that drew me to Ibara was the fantastic aesthetics. And that was from seeing the PS2 port. I think the game looks amazing.

Exactly!!! That's the main reason why I got It and we'll the gameplay of course. Those are the exact type of graphics I look into a shmup. Still waiting for it.. I hope it's all that I hope for.
digitron

Post by digitron »

el_rika wrote:For anyone who wants to enjoy it in mame (0.191 or earlier in Windows, any version in other OS), use these values: CPU 49.0 Mhz, Blitter Delay 53%

These are actually for Black Label, but they might work for vanilla as well.
Just wanted to say thank you El Rika for posting these values. Just confirming are the blitter/cpu settings for older versions of mame or do they still apply to the latest verion of mame64?
el_rika

Post by el_rika »

For latest version use 47.5 mhz, same blitter.
Jose1980

Post by Jose1980 »

Well... I received the game Ibara. It came in almost perfect condition, no scratches or blemishes on CD. I tested it on my chip modded ps2 I got from Ebay and unfortunately the game has graphics issues in the first stage, it blacks out and it's a big mess.. very upsetting. I'm hoping it's the console.. it's got that mod chip 5.0 or w/e it's called. ..
This really sucks!!

Anyway I ended up ordering another modded ps2 hoping its that..
I'll see what happens..

Anybody else have graphical issues in that game?
Loom1es

Post by Loom1es »

Jose1980 wrote:Well... I received the game Ibara. It came in almost perfect condition, no scratches or blemishes on CD. I tested it on my chip modded ps2 I got from Ebay and unfortunately the game has graphics issues in the first stage, it blacks out and it's a big mess.. very upsetting. I'm hoping it's the console.. it's got that mod chip 5.0 or w/e it's called. ..
This really sucks!!

I'll see what happens..

Hi, i dont have the game to fully confirm what the issues you have but i have watched a youtube playthrough of the first level. It seems the screen blacks out for a while at the beginning of the stage whilst it loads up then its fine from then on in. Im not sure which other graphical issues you are getting but there is an old thread stating some weird glitches link is viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10921

I dont know if this is the kind of issue you having but dive through the thread to see if something helps.
Jose1980

Post by Jose1980 »

Loom1es wrote:
Jose1980 wrote:Well... I received the game Ibara. It came in almost perfect condition, no scratches or blemishes on CD. I tested it on my chip modded ps2 I got from Ebay and unfortunately the game has graphics issues in the first stage, it blacks out and it's a big mess.. very upsetting. I'm hoping it's the console.. it's got that mod chip 5.0 or w/e it's called. ..
This really sucks!!

I'll see what happens..

Hi, i dont have the game to fully confirm what the issues you have but i have watched a youtube playthrough of the first level. It seems the screen blacks out for a while at the beginning of the stage whilst it loads up then its fine from then on in. Im not sure which other graphical issues you are getting but there is an old thread stating some weird glitches link is viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10921

I dont know if this is the kind of issue you having but dive through the thread to see if something helps.
Thank you so much for the info I appreciate it. I'll take a look at the link. I'll take some pictures of it when I get home and post.
Jose1980

Post by Jose1980 »

Jose1980 wrote:
Loom1es wrote:
This really sucks!!

I'll see what happens..

Thank you so much for the info I appreciate it.
I checked that link and found a lot of similarities with the same issue i have, So i'm thinking its the laser reader that could be the issue.. But, if that were the case how come Dondonpachi worked flawlessly? anyways, here are some pics of what i'm talking about.

Loom1es

Post by Loom1es »

I dont know if this is the kind of issue you having but dive through the thread to see if something helps.[/quote][/quote]

Thank you so much for the info I appreciate it.
I checked that link and found a lot of similarities with the same issue i have, So i'm thinking its the laser reader that could be the issue.. But, if that were the case how come Dondonpachi worked flawlessly? anyways, here are some pics of what i'm talking about.

Image[/quote]

Sorry to hear about these issues as I know you were pumped to play Ibara. I have been digging a bit and found similar issues regarding a corrupt vram chip which required replacing/resoldering. It could be laser or chip related, ps2 consoles are getting old now and issues will crop up unfortunately. As long as your game disk is OK thats the main thing, its an expensive title.
Jose1980

Post by Jose1980 »

Hi Loom1es.

Yes, you are right brother. I agree with you it's hardware related most likely. As the game disc is in perfect condition, even the case is perfect, no scuff marks or anything on cover, and you are right that is what matters.

I did order another modded console, should be here this Friday, and I will update as soon as I get it. And if that doest work, I'll get a REAL Japanese console instead of modded console lol
KAI

Post by KAI »

laser not reading the game properly, i had that issue plenty of times with an older ps2 i had.
Jose1980

Post by Jose1980 »

KAI wrote:laser not reading the game properly, i had that issue plenty of times with an older ps2 i had.
Yeah, I'm sure of it too. I'll see when I get the other ps2 if anything changes .

The thing is, dondonpachi japanese game I also got.. i tested it and it works perfectly. Weird, just weird. I should of just bought the japanese console.
Hans Stockmann

Post by Hans Stockmann »

I actually have the same issues when booting the game on my fat PS2 via the hard drive. Disc version also has a tendency to crash for me.
Jose1980

Post by Jose1980 »

Hans Stockmann wrote:I actually have the same issues when booting the game on my fat PS2 via the hard drive. Disc version also has a tendency to crash for me.
I'm assuming you have a modded PS2?

Cause from what I been reading, people with official Japanese consoles don't have this issues.

If I get the same problem when I get this other modded fat ps2 tomorrow I'll buy an official Japanese console instead.
Wittischism

Post by Wittischism »

I've never had any issues with Ibara on my JP fat PS2.
Jose1980

Post by Jose1980 »

Wittischism wrote:I've never had any issues with Ibara on my JP fat PS2.

Thank you for that info.
that makes me feel very good because , if this modded ps2 I get tomorrow doesn't work I'll DEFINITELY get the japanese only console. I should of went with my gut feeling and gotten that in the first place.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

A modded PS2 is definitely a preferable solution IMO.
But if you bought the console already pre-modded, there's a very good chance the seller probably used it to play DVD-R games, and IIRC the PS2 laser somehow gets damaged over time from reading DVD-R discs unless you also do some separate realignment mod. So pirated games have killed a lot of PS2 lasers. Not sure if it's fixable by just doing the mod later or if it's beyond repair and needs to be replaced.
Jose1980

Post by Jose1980 »

Sumez wrote:A modded PS2 is definitely a preferable solution IMO.
But if you bought the console already pre-modded, there's a very good chance the seller probably used it to play DVD-R games, and IIRC the PS2 laser somehow gets damaged over time from reading DVD-R discs unless you also do some separate realignment mod. So pirated games have killed a lot of PS2 lasers. Not sure if it's fixable by just doing the mod later or if it's beyond repair and needs to be replaced.
I agree. That's why I bought it, cause I have the original ps1 big case Radien project one of my favorite shmups and would like to play both NA/JP.

I'm hoping I get lucky with the modded one I'm getting tomorrow. Very curious now.