Rangok Skies

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
CanbeeShinobi2

Rangok Skies

Post by CanbeeShinobi2 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zatrq4hpOvI

So I have stumbled upon this "remastered" Rangok Skies demo on Steam, I am not interested in indie games in general but Whoa, this game is a bomb, and could be one, if not the best shmup of 2021.... If Contra or Metal Slug had a baby with Dodonpachi, it's name would be Rangok Skies.
These japs really know what they are doing, the action is top notch, and the music and voices add to the arcade feelings. The gameplay seems based on the timed use of auto charging weapons and bombs, the falling gems are playing a crucial role in game play and scoring system as well . I felt the screen is cramped with these falling gems but I quickly got hold of it and learned how to differentiate between them and projectiles.
It's strange that the game got "remastered" before it has even been released, weird but cool lol. :lol: The only complain I have is that the game seems a little on the easy side, but things could get serious as you progress?

I think I will get my self spoiled with this one as soon as it's released... What do you think, have anybody else tried Rango Skies?
BareKnuckleRoo

Re: Rangok Skies

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Fuck this game.

Nobody gives a shit about a game that steals art assets.
Queen Charlene

Post by Queen Charlene »

they actually released an update recently that replaced most of the stolen assets with new ones -- it actually doesn't look too bad now. haven't given the new demo a shot because the fiasco left a bad taste in my mouth, but i'm glad that they took action.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Queen Charlene wrote:i'm glad that they took action.
I guess, but there's only so much credit I'm willing to give anyone doing something obviously skeezy who only changes course when they're caught. I mean, have the devs even made any sort of statement about this anywhere? As the link Roo posted mentions, when this was called out on the Steam forums they just deleted the threads; not exactly characteristic of someone who legit wants to come clean.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

The developer does not have any remorse over this fiasco.
who's been calling me a thief for paying tribute to the top shmups
He's also calling out Sinoc and Protoculture in the same tweet over something he doesn't understand, and a full 8 days after they actually posted a statement saying they worked out their legal issues amicably with respect to Devil Engine.

In summary, the developer of Rangok Skies is an insufferable moron.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:posted a statement saying they worked out their legal issues amicably with respect to Devil Engine.
That's about Dangen, not him effectively stealing the work of the artists and musicians.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
Sly Cherry Chunks

Post by Sly Cherry Chunks »

Before I crosspost this to the cancel culture thread, could you guys clarify a few things for me? Was the Rangok dev using sprite rips or just making graphics that were 'inspired by'? Was the Sinoc guy actually stealing art? All the twitter stuff is deleted.
The biggest unanswered question is where is the money? [1CCS]
KAI

Post by KAI »

They were inspired/traced/redrawn.
Spoiler
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
all schumps look the same tho.

Sinoc steals memes.
CanbeeShinobi2

Post by CanbeeShinobi2 »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:Fuck this game.

Nobody gives a shit about a game that steals art assets.
You are not being objective here. It is pretty obvious that the sprites are "inspired" by other games rather than stolen, it is also obvious that the game has been under a tweet storm attack from other devs trying to kill competition. I understand devs want to get rid of competition, but please devs, do that by making better games rather than spreading accusations and misleading info.

I think we, shmup lovers should show support to the developers behind this little gem of a shmup, and stay away from conflicts between devs... Asshole or not, black or white, dude or gal is not what matters, what really matters to me is the quality of this game that could be among the top 50 shmups of all times. So "Fuck this game that stole sprites" wouldn't make this game any less than it really worth, I am gonna get and enjoy it the same way I enjoy any other good shmup.

Just my two cents!
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Directly lifted designs is hardly just "inspired".

Using a similar art style is "inspired", making what appears to be cleaned up filtered upscales of existing art and putting them in nearly identical stage layouts is hardly inspired.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
Queen Charlene

Post by Queen Charlene »

i don't think devs are being unreasonable by discouraging other developers from lifting sprites from other shmups and putting it in their commercial game. if they just wanted the art to use as placeholders while they finish up game assets for the sake of having something to implement, then they should also make sure to replace those placeholder rips with something different. it's one thing to homage something, it's another to wholesale jack the same art assets and make the tiniest modifications in the world.

this has nothing to do with squashing competition, and everything to do with asking developers to do better. it's not going to enrich our genre to start welcoming people who take assets from other games and put them in their own and it certainly isn't going to suddenly surge interest in the genre. artists stealing from other artists makes artists look bad and i think there's nothing wrong with saying that we won't stand for it.

i am glad that the assets eventually got replaced! that's honestly awesome. that also should have happened before launching the game and selling it for money.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

CanbeeShinobi2 wrote:You are not being objective here. It is pretty obvious that the sprites are "inspired" by other games rather than stolen!
I'm very impressed that someone who is apparently legally blind manages to enjoy shmups.

It's not even obviously something that is clearly an original game but has a few cute shoutouts to other games like ZeroRanger or Vastynex have. They simply couldn't be bothered to make their own art assets from scratch, and use ripped, upscaled sprites all over the damn place.
Lethe

Post by Lethe »

CanbeeShinobi2 wrote:I think we, shmup lovers should show support to the developers behind this little gem of a shmup, and stay away from conflicts between devs... Asshole or not, black or white, dude or gal is not what matters, what really matters to me is the quality of this game that could be among the top 50 shmups of all times.
Regardless of the assets angle (and regardless of the laughable conspiratorial take), can you tell us what you think's so good about this game? From the - very limited - demo all I'm seeing is basic kitchen sink scoring with loads of arbitrary crap flying everywhere and an abusable survival mechanic so it can get away with not thinking about stage design. Bears more similarity to Bee Storm than anything. Even the boss' patterns resemble DDP2's. The visuals don't do much for me either. It may well turn out okay, but the demo's not giving me anything special.

You say you're not interested in indie games - I suggest getting more familiar with the quality of others before treating this one like some kind of messiah. The top 25 poll results were just posted and there's plenty of much better games in there, especially in the honorable mentions. And many more besides.
SPM

Post by SPM »

Whether it's really meant to be inspiration, homage or downright stealing assets may be subjective, since everyone has their threshold. But what I've seen that I don't like was this person's attitude when others brought this to their attention. This kind of things makes you not want to support some people (or at the very least, you start with a bad first impression).

Other than that, I kind of like its art-style even if it's a bit on the "phone" side aesthetically.
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
riccyjay

Post by riccyjay »

No one else suspect this guy might be connected to the game in some way?
CanbeeShinobi2

Post by CanbeeShinobi2 »

Lethe wrote:can you tell us what you think's so good about this game?
It's fun! and I feel getting better on using and timing the different abilities each time I play.
I agree the demo is limited, we will see when the full game is out, but I got a good feeling about this one.
riccyjay wrote:No one else suspect this guy might be connected to the game in some way?
lol
PerishedFraud ឵឵

Post by PerishedFraud ឵឵ »

I assumed it was the dev from the start.
Fun Over Victory| Shitpost Central | Shmusic Archive | Old Account | tuckfouhou@gmail.com
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

CanbeeShinobi2 wrote:it is also obvious that the game has been under a tweet storm attack from other devs trying to kill competition.
The tweet Kiwi posted and all replies (excluding Sinoc) are from people who aren't game developers.
CanbeeShinobi2 wrote:I understand devs want to get rid of competition
they don't
CanbeeShinobi2 wrote:These japs really know what they are doing, the action is top notch, and the music and voices add to the arcade feelings. The gameplay seems based on the timed use of auto charging weapons and bombs, the falling gems are playing a crucial role in game play and scoring system as well . I felt the screen is cramped with these falling gems but I quickly got hold of it and learned how to differentiate between them and projectiles.

It's strange that the game got "remastered" before it has even been released
That's because Rangok Skies is actually called Operation Dracula, released for mobile in 2015. Pretty sure they aren't Japanese.

How'd you find their Youtube anyway? It only has 7 subscribers.
I haven't actively browsed/used this forum in many years and it's no longer an accurate representation of me.

I have retired from genre-specific content creation after 13 years, but I'll always love this little genre in my own personal way.
banjoted

Post by banjoted »

Hmmm, my spidey sense in tingling...
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Elixir wrote:That's because Rangok Skies is actually called Operation Dracula, released for mobile in 2015.
Just when I thought this game couldn't be more of a Peak Shady-Ass Steam Release. :lol:
BIL

Post by BIL »

What the shit? Bangkok Skies, more like Operation Count Chocula :shock:
CanbeeShinobi2

Post by CanbeeShinobi2 »

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1262 ... gok_Skies/

so the full Rangok Skies game has been released, it is FUN! a little on the easy side but I am trying to have the insane thingy unlocked, and enjoying the process so far. :D
banjoted

Post by banjoted »

Fun, you say? And with capital letters, too? Blimey.
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

the character select screen soundbyte is ripped from Metal Slug, lol

changing the game's language to Japanese reveals it's all machine translated. So much for that "Japanese dev".
I haven't actively browsed/used this forum in many years and it's no longer an accurate representation of me.

I have retired from genre-specific content creation after 13 years, but I'll always love this little genre in my own personal way.
auryn

Post by auryn »

well, if they 'stole' some shit from Cave there's one upside:

we're finally gonna find out what the full extent of the jam looks like
PerishedFraud ឵឵

Post by PerishedFraud ឵឵ »

Already happened once with Gwangedash my dude.
Fun Over Victory| Shitpost Central | Shmusic Archive | Old Account | tuckfouhou@gmail.com