We need to talk about Time Tripper (A GZDoom game)

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
KennyMan666

We need to talk about Time Tripper (A GZDoom game)

Post by KennyMan666 »

In the words of the dev: "Time Tripper is a freewheeling first-person action-adventure-STG that runs on the GZDoom engine."

The biggest change in Time Tripper from regular Doom is that, excepting the Arch-Vile, enemies no longer have any hitscan attacks. Even the Zombiemen, Shotgun Guys and Heavy Weapon Dudes now fire projectiles that can be dodged. Which is important because Time Tripper has a one-hit kill mode—where both the player and the enemies die in one hit from anything. I played through that mode yesterday, after having beaten the UV-equivalent regular difficulty the day before. And the one-hit-kill mode of what could basically be considered the "second loop" difficulty today. It really does make it feel like a blend of Doom and a shmup/run'n'gun. There's even built-in checkpoints in the stages.

Existing enemy projectiles have also been changed, and some projectile graphics are directly taken from stuff like DoDonPachi. Think you know how to dodge a Cacodemon plasma ball? Now it's a barrage. The Hell Knight now fires a wide spread. There's also a whole lot of brand new enemies.

The visuals are great. The soundtrack rules and is unlike anything I've ever heard in a Doom WAD before.

I'd post screenshots but tbh stills don't make this game justice, it has to be experienced in motion.

So it's a game I really can't recommend enough if you want a game that's Doom but also arcade-style shmup/run'n'gun action. Which seems like it would be to the tastes of a lot of people here.
My 1CCs so I can find the list easier myself
<Despatche> you've been a thorn in the shmups community since the beginning, you're largely responsible for the horrible face of modern speedrunning
CStarFlare

Re: We need to talk about Time Tripper (A GZDoom game)

Post by CStarFlare »

This looks really cool. Can't wait to try it.

Based on the difficulty names, someone plays IIDX. :)

(EDIT: and heckscaper is probably a reference to the 5 key beatmania classic Hellscaper)
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Yeah i guess. I tried it a couple of months back, the shotgunner's projectiles are so fast that strafing them just doesn't seem like a thing. maybe if you were already strafing at full speed before they fire?

Also the movement generally feels sluggish compared to my recent Plutonia playthrough.
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
KennyMan666

Post by KennyMan666 »

Shotgun Guys are definitely among the biggest threats in No Miss or Bust. To the point where some parts of No Miss Another are actually easier, since many Shotgun Guys have been replaced by Heavy Weapon Dudes.
My 1CCs so I can find the list easier myself
<Despatche> you've been a thorn in the shmups community since the beginning, you're largely responsible for the horrible face of modern speedrunning
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Really odd to have a dedicated website to this mod, but no videos on there that demonstrate the gameplay. Had to look it up on YouTube, but man that's no way to sell a game :\