RQ: Mushihimesama - Saturn Pad Config Issues

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
Halloween Jack

RQ: Mushihimesama - Saturn Pad Config Issues

Post by Halloween Jack »

Hi Guys,

Forgive me if this should have been raised as part of the Mushi strategy thread, or even posted in the Hardware forum - perhaps a moderater could relocate this post if deemed inapproriate?

Anyway, to cut to the chase, I'm looking to configure my PS2 Saturn pad to play Mushi with the control hacks A+ and C+.

However, having tried one or two different configurations, nothing really seems to feel 'comfortable'. Mapping L2 to A+ and R2 to C+ means that part of the game is played with a redundant righ thumb - which is quite unfulfilling.

Conversely if the upper bank of three buttons are mapped to A+, weapon change and C+, the ability to use the 'power shot' (A+, tapping C) is very difficult to execute.

The only way around this seems to be to map C+ above A (at least there would be a logical grouping for basic gameplay (shot) and counter banking), and A+ above C for reasons identified above.

All very complicated, less than intuitive and something that I'll need to adjust my mind to, once an optimum configuration has been identified - so this begs the question, is anybody else suffering similar issues, and are there any recognised configurations used by forum members?

Thanks in advance,

Halloween Jack
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

If you take this as a Saturn pad layout:

Code: Select all

L               R
     X   Y   Z
     A   B   C
Then my buttons are mapped like this:

Code: Select all

-               C
     B   B   B
     A+  A   C+
In all Saturn and PS2 (with saturn pad) shmups, I have the main fire button mapped to B, bomb to Y and autofire to the R shoulder button, as I find these three buttons the most comfortable to use.

With Mushi, I have the A+ and C+ buttons mapped along side the main fire button, and the entire upper bank of buttons set as bomb, so I can still fire one off depending on which fire button I'm using. You could also set weapon change to the L shoulder if you so desire.
Halloween Jack

Post by Halloween Jack »

:D Superb - thanks for sharing your set up Icarus.

Agree fully with the 'B' mapping, I also tend to use this as it seems the most comfortable for the right thumb.

Fascinating to see that the 'hack' controls are mapped to the preferential buttons on the pad (A&C). I was under the false impression that the A+ and C+ functions were believed to be almost secondary functions in the game - and may therefore have been mapped to the lower profile buttons (L&R). Wrong again! :roll:

Thanks again for your help.

Halloween Jack
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Halloween Jack wrote:Fascinating to see that the 'hack' controls are mapped to the preferential buttons on the pad (A&C). I was under the false impression that the A+ and C+ functions were believed to be almost secondary functions in the game - and may therefore have been mapped to the lower profile buttons (L&R). Wrong again! :roll:
A+ and C+ are almost primary fire buttons, especially if you are playing to maximise score in Maniac mode, or going for full power in Ultra mode. Therefore I have them mapped to the preferred buttons on the pad (A and C) so I can access them easily (and also makes it easier to use in conjunction with the C autofire button mapped to the R shoulder), plus it also allows me to fire off a bomb as normal using the tip of my thumb and the upper bank of buttons (XYZ).

I dunno, there might be more comfortable setups out there, but for the way I tend to play, and the way I hold and use the joypad, the setup I described is comfortable and easy to use.

The only problem with all these buttons is that it can get quite confusing when the gameplay gets more manic - button juggling is definitely dificult to do when you are trying to push records using a custom set up - so a lot of practice with this or a similar setup is advised.