Finally, a new female SCART to 15kHz “VGA” w/ audio!

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
kitty666cats

Finally, a new female SCART to 15kHz “VGA” w/ audio!

Post by kitty666cats »

https://www.retroupgrades.co.uk/product ... a-adapter/

I’ve been puzzled that it’s taken so long for someone to come out of the woodwork and mass produce another device like this! Sync Strike has obviously been around for eons, but IMHO it is far too expensive for what it is. There’s the SyncSlayer II, that thing is also expensive (but in its defense it has a sync separator far superior to the LM1881 / can provide true 15kHz RGBHV for whatever niche monitor/device requires it). RGC UK retired their similar cable eons ago, and getting a custom Retro Access cable requires you being around for a specific 30 minute time frame one Sunday every few months. Insurrection Industries had the awesome SCART2DVI which is actually quite similar to this (plus had a switchable on/off THS7374+LPF in addition to the switchable LM1881), but you needed an additional dongle for DE-15 “VGA” and it couldn’t be powered by 5V over SCART. It also flew under the radar and didn’t get much love.

Obviously this isn’t anything super-remarkable, but I’m glad something like this is once again readily available, and importantly at a good price! Can also pass 31kHz in addition to 15kHz, which is always welcomed ;) Dunno if it’s exactly the same as the Tinkerplunk design or just based off it, but good to see it for sale to anyone n everyone
Josh128

Re: Finally, a new female SCART to 15kHz “VGA” w/ audio!

Post by Josh128 »

Agree, it looks decent at a pretty nice price. I built my own SCART to VGA / 1/8" stereo cable last year for a GroovyMAME PC on my Trinitron, and it was a bit of a PITA. I definitely would have bought this had it been around then.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Retro-Access can also make you a cable for this.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

Josh128 wrote:Agree, it looks decent at a pretty nice price. I built my own SCART to VGA / 1/8" stereo cable last year for a GroovyMAME PC on my Trinitron, and it was a bit of a PITA. I definitely would have bought this had it been around then.
This is the other way round, though, isn't it? RGBs > RGBHV.
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

Should be bi-directional, they say its just connects the RGBS + audio of the scart to VGA + 1/8" stereo jack. I use mine to go from PC VGA and 1/8 audio to SCART for conversion to YPbPr for my Trin CRT. Routes the HSync from the D-sub to the sync pin on the SCART.
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

bobrocks95 wrote:Retro-Access can also make you a cable for this.
As I said in the OP, they can once every few months for 30 minutes on a Sunday morning. And for like ~$50-60
Bassa-Bassa wrote:
Josh128 wrote:Agree, it looks decent at a pretty nice price. I built my own SCART to VGA / 1/8" stereo cable last year for a GroovyMAME PC on my Trinitron, and it was a bit of a PITA. I definitely would have bought this had it been around then.
This is the other way round, though, isn't it? RGBs > RGBHV.
It’s indeed the direction you are thinking, but if you read my OP/the link only the SyncSlayer has full-on 15kHz RGBHV (which is niche and vital on almost nothing at all, save for maybe some obscure old monitors. Probably helps with compatibility on some capture cards though).

I don’t think the device is bi-directional, nor ANY SCART VGA cable/dongle...
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

You’re thinking of the opposite direction. Does your GPU allow composite sync output via CRT Emudriver? If so, Retrocables.es has a very affordable cable you could also use.

https://ultimatemister.com/product/rgb-scart-cable/

This could be good for ya too.

But again, these cables are the opposite of what the OP device does
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

15kHz RGBHV is godtier and I'm sick of twitter personalities pretending it's not
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

maxtherabbit wrote:15kHz RGBHV is godtier and I'm sick of twitter personalities pretending it's not
What do you personally use it with? My friend has a Toshiba TIMM and it works fine with a LM1881 (so, not true H-sync). The TIMM’s 15kHz analog RGB is on the same port that the VGA goes to. Do the old NEC 15-31ish kHz MultiSyncs need clean H?

Can’t think of anything off the top of my head that REQUIRES it but I do know it seems to sometimes be helpful for otherwise finicky capture cards or processors/scalers. Maybe some old projectors require clean H?

Ordered one of these, I will let y’all know how it is!
hellbelly

Post by hellbelly »

Yup, good to see it available to buy easily. It looks like it’s been slightly tweaked - I built a tinkerplunk one last year and don’t remember the solder pads in the middle to select if the sync stripper is powered by USB or Scart Pin 8, that’s a cool edition, shame it’s not a jumper or a switch though?
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

kitty666cats wrote:
maxtherabbit wrote:15kHz RGBHV is godtier and I'm sick of twitter personalities pretending it's not
What do you personally use it with? My friend has a Toshiba TIMM and it works fine with a LM1881 (so, not true H-sync). The TIMM’s 15kHz analog RGB is on the same port that the VGA goes to. Do the old NEC 15-31ish kHz MultiSyncs need clean H?

Can’t think of anything off the top of my head that REQUIRES it but I do know it seems to sometimes be helpful for otherwise finicky capture cards or processors/scalers. Maybe some old projectors require clean H?

nothing I own requires it, but I use it with the OSSC and my datapath

my 15kHz CRT takes RGBS but I feed it 15kHz RGBHV from DOS PCs using VGATV through an extron
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

kitty666cats wrote:
You’re thinking of the opposite direction. Does your GPU allow composite sync output via CRT Emudriver? If so, Retrocables.es has a very affordable cable you could also use.

https://ultimatemister.com/product/rgb-scart-cable/

This could be good for ya too.

But again, these cables are the opposite of what the OP device does
Nice, may have to pick one up.
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

maxtherabbit wrote:
kitty666cats wrote:

nothing I own requires it, but I use it with the OSSC and my datapath

my 15kHz CRT takes RGBS but I feed it 15kHz RGBHV from DOS PCs using VGATV through an extron
Is it by any chance a JVC with one of the 5BNC RGB/YPbPr cards? Gotta love the RGBHV option on those if you rock a Pi @ 240p and have a VGA666 ;) ...or HDMI to VGA, come to think of it
NJRoadfan

Post by NJRoadfan »

kitty666cats wrote: What do you personally use it with? My friend has a Toshiba TIMM and it works fine with a LM1881 (so, not true H-sync). The TIMM’s 15kHz analog RGB is on the same port that the VGA goes to. Do the old NEC 15-31ish kHz MultiSyncs need clean H?

The TIMM can be a bit fussy about sync. When I made my SCART to "VGA" cable for it, I had to wire composite sync to both the H and V pins on the VGA side to get a stable picture. Toshiba's documentation says the TIMM should be able to take composite sync, so I don't know why it was acting wonky. That same adapter worked fine with the Epiphan DVI2PCIe card too (card can natively take composite sync). Note that I didn't put an LM1881 in it, my SNES SCART cable it wired for true composite sync output.

The older 15Khz NEC Multisyncs (original, II, and 3D) natively accept composite sync.