Questions that do not deserve a thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
SavagePencil

Re: Questions that do not deserve a thread

Post by SavagePencil »

bobrocks95 wrote:Does anyone have any recommended PS1 controllers for shmups? I'm picking up a lot of imports in some Yahoo Japan auctions soon and finally getting my PSOne chipped and no way in hell am I going to use that Dualshock D-Pad. It already hurt my thumb as a kid playing Crash Bandicoot...

Floating Saturn-style preferred but I think anything would be an improvement. Maybe there's a Saturn to PS1 adapter too (I see a lot the other way around. Gross.)?

EDIT: Brooke converter + Retro-bit Saturn pad? Would be more inclined if my 2.4GHz Retro-Bit didn't have awful battery life like many people have reported...
Stick-wise, I don't think you can do much better than the Namco Arcade Stick. They're sturdy and comfortable.
nolepe

Post by nolepe »

Hello. I need a all-regional-RF to AV converter with 0-1 frame lag. What it can be?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

multi format RF decoders are rare. At least I've never seen one. Make sense since you'll hardly find a location that did broadcast in PAL and NTSC at the same time.
nolepe

Post by nolepe »

VSC 500/700 Minimum horizontal frequency - 31 kHz?
Is 480i - 15kHz?
How does the VSC 500/700 output a 480i signal?
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

nolepe wrote:VSC 500/700 Minimum horizontal frequency - 31 kHz?
Is 480i - 15kHz?
How does the VSC 500/700 output a 480i signal?
That's for the input. It outputs at 15kHz, 480i. It only has that one output mode, tweakable with the filters.

Think about it like this; the VSC 500/700's main purpose in life was to allow business people to connect their laptop computers to conference room teleconference monitors that had not been upgraded to display higher resolution signals.

It accepts computer monitor signals up to 1920x1200 and outputs everything as NTSC or PAL interlaced video. It doesn't do 240p because that would be terrible resolution for 1920x1200, so why bother?
nakedarthur

Post by nakedarthur »

I picked up a cool little Zenith TV today, but I had a quick question regarding it. The screen is a bit high up, so I was looking on the board for a VPOS adjustment, but I didn't see anything except the VSize. I uploaded the Service Manual here. If someone with more knowledge doesn't mind looking I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

nakedarthur wrote:I picked up a cool little Zenith TV today, but I had a quick question regarding it. The screen is a bit high up, so I was looking on the board for a VPOS adjustment, but I didn't see anything except the VSize.
You are correct. It doesn't have a VPOS. It's a cheaper set and they didn't give you the option.

You probably have dried out capacitors in the Vertical output area, but it probably won't ever look perfectly centered. They just expected it to be sort of roughly centered in the factory and then overscanned to fill the screen.
nakedarthur

Post by nakedarthur »

vol.2 wrote:
nakedarthur wrote:I picked up a cool little Zenith TV today, but I had a quick question regarding it. The screen is a bit high up, so I was looking on the board for a VPOS adjustment, but I didn't see anything except the VSize.
You are correct. It doesn't have a VPOS. It's a cheaper set and they didn't give you the option.

You probably have dried out capacitors in the Vertical output area, but it probably won't ever look perfectly centered. They just expected it to be sort of roughly centered in the factory and then overscanned to fill the screen.
As I feared, thanks for confirming! Maybe that will be a little weekend project then :)
bahamutfan64

Post by bahamutfan64 »

Is there any way to disable the bilinear filter most games on the original Xbox have at 480p? (Not to be confused with the flicker filter at 480i)
nolepe

Post by nolepe »

What is the difference between Extron ADA and DA?
Does the DA component support 480i / 480p? (written only "HDTV component")
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

Trying again:
Bassa-Bassa wrote:Is Escape from the Planet of the Robot Monsters' hall-effect joystick analog? If it isn't, what's the difference with a regular stick? Can the game be played with a regular stick?
nolepe

Post by nolepe »

What is the difference between LM1881 and Sync Strike?
LM1881 output - V and H+V sync, price $ 0.5
Sync Strike output - H and V sync, price $ 37
$ 36 - price for H sync and SCART and VGA connectors?
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

nolepe wrote:What is the difference between LM1881 and Sync Strike?
LM1881 output - V and H+V sync, price $ 0.5
Sync Strike output - H and V sync, price $ 37
$ 36 - price for H sync and SCART and VGA connectors?
...cost of parts, assembly, has optional PSU and also optional screw terminals.

An LM1881 is a chip and not a assembled videogame converter.

EDIT: also, Sync Strike does not have “clean” H sync, it has an LM1881 so it’s “Csync”/composite sync/H+V on pin 13 of the DE-15 output. SyncSlayer 2 is the only box that’s got the option for direct SCART to 15kHz RGBHV, a Sync Strike would need to be chained with an Extron RGB interface for full-on RGBHV (one of the interfaces that has separate BNC jacks for H and CS)
Last edited by kitty666cats on Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

nolepe wrote:Hello. I need a all-regional-RF to AV converter with 0-1 frame lag. What it can be?
Extron AVT 100? That converts RF/Coax to Composite w/ audio. That might work – if by "AV converter" you mean Composite and RCA's for audio of course. Don't know if you also mean for it to convert like PAL to NTSC which I don't think it would do.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Extron AVT 100
as with all demodulators: there are two separate versions, one for NTSC, one for PAL signals.
NewSchoolBoxer

Post by NewSchoolBoxer »

nolepe wrote:Hello. I need a all-regional-RF to AV converter with 0-1 frame lag. What it can be?
I mean, if you aren't a stickler about quality, just get a VHS player cheap if not for free and convert RF to Composite with it. Fancy VHS players exist that accept PAL, SECAM and NTSC but seem extremely expensive. Get separate PAL and NTSC players I suppose: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yV1iOjYcfvE

I didn't see propagation delay or any time values listed in Extron 100 or 200HD datasheets but that doesn't guarantee they are lagless.

I was in a thread about modding RF television to take Composite that used this guide: https://hackaday.io/project/168426-port ... site-input
I don't read Chinese but only times listed are for sync timing that we aren't concerned with. Author mentioned needing to adjust VHOLD from injected Composite. I interpret to mean injected video comes earlier that CRT expects due to no processing. Non-modded device won't have this issue so lagless for Extron devices and modulators in general seems correct, or worst case correctable with vertical hold adjustment.

Between the Extron AVT 100 and AVT200HD, the HD somewhat amusingly converts to all analog outputs and HD. The 200HD has significantly superior audio quality if that matters to you.

Other options, I see a few devices online running $70-85 new that are specific to NTSC or PAL.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Can anyone recommend a steering wheel controller for the PC that isn't super expensive and has good basic functionality?
Firehawke

Post by Firehawke »

For anyone out there who has an Ibara PCB, are Button A and Start tied together? I'm trying to track down a possible issue where my start button is triggering A as well (but not vice versa)
RottenToTheGore

Post by RottenToTheGore »

I know a 470 ohm resistor on the sync line is recommended to attenuate TTL Sync going into the OSSC, but I feel like I read somewhere a 330 ohm was used and the result was still a voltage in the 75ohm range.

Can anyone confirm? I seem to only have 330s around at the moment.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

RottenToTheGore wrote:I know a 470 ohm resistor on the sync line is recommended to attenuate TTL Sync going into the OSSC, but I feel like I read somewhere a 330 ohm was used and the result was still a voltage in the 75ohm range.

Can anyone confirm? I seem to only have 330s around at the moment.
330 is fine
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Any US PSOne power brick alternatives? It takes up 3 plugs on my surge protector even on a spaced out spot meant for large adapters, since the plug isn't close enough to the top of the brick. No other adapter takes up as much space as it does.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
pedroTFP

Post by pedroTFP »

Would you exchange a PVM 1954+100$ for a recapped 2530+flying case?
I've a 20M2 and an L2 already.
Gara

Post by Gara »

pedroTFP wrote:Would you exchange a PVM 1954+100$ for a recapped 2530+flying case?
I've a 20M2 and an L2 already.
Assuming you have interest in a 25" screen that's a pretty good trade. A 600 TVL 20" is about equivalent in value these days. I'd say the 20" is more desirable, but the 2530 already being serviced is a big plus. Since you already have two other good 20" screens, I'd do that trade in your position.

Recapped doesn't always mean much with a 2530 though. How's the geometry and convergence? If the person who recapped it also dialed in the rings on the neck and/or placed convergence strips to fix the corner problems I always see on that model then you'd be crazy to pass on it. If it didn't need that much attention then all the more reason to do the trade.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Gara wrote:
Recapped doesn't always mean much with a 2530 though.
Not to mention, it's an older set, and the tube is really what you should be concerned about. You can replace caps till the end of time, but if you're tube is worn then it's all over.
pedroTFP

Post by pedroTFP »

Thanks, I'll look at it and let you known! Assuming it is good condition, my concerns were about 2530's lower TVL count and that the set would look too much like a consumer 25" RGB Trinitron set from mid 90's, hence not worth the trade.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

pedroTFP wrote:Thanks, I'll look at it and let you known! Assuming it is good condition, my concerns were about 2530's lower TVL count and that the set would look too much like a consumer 25" RGB Trinitron set from mid 90's, hence not worth the trade.
Pay attention to how bright the set is mostly. Try to turn up the contrast (the contrast knob is the brightness on a CRT) and see how much range it has. It should have plenty of upward headroom, and it shouldn't seem excessively blown-out at higher contrast levels. There will always be some bloom, but there's a difference between a strong tube and a weak one in that regard. Also, look at how focused the tube is. That's adjustable, but there's going to be a limit to how much you can improve it.
Last edited by vol.2 on Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RottenToTheGore

Post by RottenToTheGore »

bobrocks95 wrote:Any US PSOne power brick alternatives? It takes up 3 plugs on my surge protector even on a spaced out spot meant for large adapters, since the plug isn't close enough to the top of the brick. No other adapter takes up as much space as it does.
When it comes to things like power bricks, I use these
GojiFan90

Post by GojiFan90 »

I have a Sony (consumer grade) CRT that has only composite/SVID inputs. I would like to use my Super NT/Mega SG on it but I'm not sure what the best solution is. Obviously I need to go from HDMI to SVID/composite so I will need some sort of DAC to downscale the output to be compatible.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

There's no cheap way to do it right. Analogue's own DAC would probably be the best way, since it actually enables true 240p output from these systems already and the DAC provides an s-video signal, which can be utilized using the right cables.

If you don't have their DAC, would need a downscaling solution (e.g. HDMI to YUV and then into a GBC-C unit). Then you'd have 240p component, which you'd need to turn into s-video on your own. The added cost of all required items would easily add up to the same what Analogue's DAC costs.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

RottenToTheGore wrote:
bobrocks95 wrote:Any US PSOne power brick alternatives? It takes up 3 plugs on my surge protector even on a spaced out spot meant for large adapters, since the plug isn't close enough to the top of the brick. No other adapter takes up as much space as it does.
When it comes to things like power bricks, I use these
Oh, duh, that'll do just fine.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.