Questions that do not deserve a thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
NewSchoolBoxer

Re: Questions that do not deserve a thread

Post by NewSchoolBoxer »

vol.2 wrote:...I ran across this web page about matching video signals that clearly demonstrates that the author has absolutely no understanding of impedance at all; in one of the bullet point, they actually say that the cables aren't 75 ohms because they don't measure any resistance. (insert emoji of guy slapping his forehead) https://chipnetics.com/tutorials/unders ... o-signals/...
That scared me between a little and a lot. A cable being 75 ohm means its characteristic impedance is 75 ohms. Means if you had advanced equipment you could solve 75 = sqrt(L / C), where L is the inductance and C is the capacitance. These values are small and increase linearly with cable length. Thus the (L / C) ratio is constant and you get 75 ohms with 10 cm or 10 meters. These are the reactive components as maxtherabbit mentioned. The resistive component, R, is also small and increases linearly with cable length. Can be ignored at, say, 2 meters or 6 feet. L and C can be ignored, except in 2 cases:

-Impedance mismatch (AC only). The actual use of a 75 ohm terminator is to match the cable impedance to prevent reflection and reduce RF interference.
(and/or)
-Too long a cable length or too high a frequency. In AC, the textbook definition is characteristic L and C matter when cable length > (wavelength / 4). In our case of 6 MHz video, matters when cable length > ~9 meters or 30 feet. Too high a C will kill DC, which is one reason why transmission lines are AC.

Since we have an impedance mismatch, the actual correct way to model in a circuit is with a transmission line model. I was taught the so-called Pi model. Can more easily calculate the reflection coefficient and standing wave ratio with 50 and 75. I found a chart that shows 1.5 swr (75 / 50) loses 4% in reflected power. That is not much and we might be able to ignore except...luminance (brightness) and color saturation are amplitude modulated in analog television. A reflected wave will add or subtract those values, with more deviance from a greater mismatch.
pigswill

Post by pigswill »

pigswill wrote:I recently installed voultar's PC Engine RGB board into a Duo-R and it seems to work great, except on my Sony PVM 14-L2 at the top there's some warping. This doesn't happen for my other systems like SNES. It also doesn't happen with the PC engine hooked up to my 20m2mdu. So I did some searching and found some threads here about sync problems that seem similar on BVMs and Ikegami monitors being fixed with an Extron RGB's SERR feature. So a couple questions about this:

Can this same sync issue happen on some PVMs like the 14-L2 too?

And if so, can the csync at 75ohm from a PCE RGB board be used on an Extron device with a passive scart to db-15 cable, or do I need something like a sync strike?

Any help is appreciated.
Following up with this, I got an extron 160xi off ebay and wired up a scart to vga cable, and it doesn't seem to work. The orange light doesn't turn green when the PC engine is on and I get no video output. I tested a couple other 240p consoles like my SNES Jr and N64 both modded for RGB and using csync to see if maybe the extron or my cable was bad. The SNES Jr worked but the N64 Did not. The SNES also had some strange what I assume was probably interference or noise from my cable being poorly put together.
So I'm not sure if there's something I'm missing with the extron, if my cable is causing all these problems, or if I do need something like a sync stripper even with cysnc?
vol.2 wrote: A couple of suggestions for you.

-check to see if the mod lets you switch between composite sync and c-sync

-if it's a sync issue, you would fix it by using a sync stripper, you wouldn't need the extron. in that case, buy a cheap device that has an lm1881 on it. you can even just buy a PCB from OSH Park and build your own. they are dead simple

-the extron might not work without clean sync anyway (some of them are more tolerant than others)

-if none of that works, try sync on green. raphnet has an article on it, but basically just take clean sync and combine it with the green through a 100uf cap and the green through a 680 ohm resistor. google raphnet sync on green for details. you need to clean the sync before that will work.
Thank you for the suggestions.
The mod doesn't have a switch between the syncs I don't believe. And I thought csync was clean sync, if the system is outputting cysnc would a sync stripper do anything? If my extron problems are because the sync is still not clean I guess I'll get a sync strike.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

pigswill wrote:And I thought csync was clean sync
csync should be clean.
if the system is outputting cysnc would a sync stripper do anything?
I doubt it. I don't know if the PCE outputs csync though, and I also don't know if your mod is pulling the sync from the PCE or it's providing it's own processed sync or something.
If my extron problems are because the sync is still not clean I guess I'll get a sync strike.
It might be jitter and not how clean the sync is. If the mod is just taking the sync from the PCE, it's possible that there is some jitter in that, similar to the SNES and NES which can create problems. I don't know much about PCE, so can't comment.

Hopefully someone who knows PC Engine can chime in. If not, maybe consider starting a separate thread.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

My 2 cents: a lot of specialized RGB boards for the PC Engine seem to work perfectly well with stuff like the OSSC or hooked up directly to TVs and monitors, but they struggle with a lot of less common gear, in my experience. Back when I was using a real PC Engine, I had the most success for RGB connections with an old simple THS7314 amp.
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

Just a heads up for folks who haven’t seen this yet (RE: long cable woes)
https://www.retroupgrades.co.uk/product ... t-coupler/

Looks like a godsend for connecting a OSSC, Sync Strike, SCART2DVI etc etc to the output of gscartsw or any SCART switch that implements a female port for output :)

Looks like it is out of stock at the moment, but I’m sure they will have more soon - they also have an eBay page that may be cheaper for USA-based folks. I don’t have one so I can’t personally vouch for it, but their products all seem to be quite good quality. I know our own Fudoh can vouch for their run of the RetroTink VGA2SCART PCBs!
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

Is Escape from the Planet of the Robot Monsters' hall-effect joystick analog? If it isn't, what's the difference with a regular stick? Can the game be played with a regular stick?
NewSchoolBoxer

Post by NewSchoolBoxer »

Fudoh wrote: I would like some cables that don't push around lighter gear (like an OSSC or even a Portta converter) when the cables are being moved.

This has been bothering me for decades now. I don't care for any permanent setup, but for any test setup with little space, it's really annoying. Recently a bought a bunch of cables and among them was a 6ft audio RCA to 3.5mm cable that's so flexible that it just falls in place whichever way you move or place it.
This is use case is kind of fascinating to me. I started rolling the slow ball to make my own S-Video cables because I refuse to pay $40-80 for brand name and I doubt $8-10 generic is what I should be creating content with. PS2 problem mostly solved with the SCPH-10130 Multi Out with S-Video, Composite and Stereo female connectors to use whatever cables I want. Could easily exist for SNES-N64-GC family.

When we're talking what cables are made of, you'd think they would be all-copper but all-aluminum for electrical transmission lines became common in the 90s due to the rising price of copper. Aluminum has better flexibility, lower weight and cost with only slightly less conductivity. The greater heat loss was acceptable.

In AC, most of the signal is concentrated around the edges of the cable due to skin effect. Can get away with aluminum or even cheaper but worse conducting steel core with copper cladding around it. I never ran into stranded cable in my coursework but I can see that it's obviously more flexible than solid coax. Pure aluminum stranded cable exists too.

Getting on this...
nolepe

Post by nolepe »

Hello.
I want to use a composite AV downscaler+deinterlacer to reduce flickering and jitter
Input - AV RCA (PAL NTSC 480i 576i)
Output - AV RCA (240p 288p)
For PS1, PS2, Wii, etc. (which can't output 240p)
Where can I buy a hardware? Extron is RGB only?
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

nolepe wrote:Hello.
I want to use a composite AV downscaler+deinterlacer to reduce flickering and jitter
You really want to use RGB for 480i->240p. The PS1 is mostly 240p, other than a few rare titles that use 480i for the menus and such.

PS1 has RGB. PS2 has the ability to output RGB and Component natively, and the Wii can output component, so there is no need to use composite. Most Extron devices have composite output, so you should be able to go into the Extron by RGB and output to your TV composite if that's all you have. Just check the extron device for outputs and such.

However, downscaling is also not the greatest idea in most cases. 480i is higher resolution, so you will lose some the of the information. If you get an Extron Super Emotia, it can average out adjacent lines and that will minimize the loss, but it's still not as sharp as the 480i picture is. Also, they are getting mad expensive, so expect to pay $300 or more.

AFAIK, the main use case for 480i-240p for a monitor is to display games that are natively 240p, but have been upscaled to 480i on the XBOX 360 or the PS2. Like many Shmups games collections came out on those systems at that time. Sure, you can also downscale other hi-res 480i titles to 240p just for fun, but I think it's really just a novelty and you wouldn't want to do that long-term. Perhaps someone like to do that, but I don't.

If the flickering really bothers you, you can also try an Extron VSC 700; there are flicker filters on those that I like for some content
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

Your cheapest option for downscaling to 240p is a GBS8200 modded with GBS Control, but it’ll need either 480i component or RGBS Csync input. On the output (after setting it to “15kHz downscale” mode) you can use one of these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174578156353

^ he has a non-SCART variant where the input connector is a 15-pin VGA connector for the 240p RGBHV output from GBSC. Those should be back in stock soon

https://www.antoniovillena.es/store/pro ... o-adapter/

^ NTSC *AND* PAL

http://m.axunworks.com/RGB-to-Composite ... 41706.html

^ Expensive as hell, sure is a pretty lookin’ thing though!
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

vol.2 wrote:
You really want to use RGB for 480i->240p. The PS1 is mostly 240p, other than a few rare titles that use 480i for the menus and such.

PS1 has RGB. PS2 has the ability to output RGB and Component natively, and the Wii can output component, so there is no need to use composite. Most Extron devices have composite output, so you should be able to go into the Extron by RGB and output to your TV composite if that's all you have. Just check the extron device for outputs and such.

However, downscaling is also not the greatest idea in most cases. 480i is higher resolution, so you will lose some the of the information. If you get an Extron Super Emotia, it can average out adjacent lines and that will minimize the loss, but it's still not as sharp as the 480i picture is. Also, they are getting mad expensive, so expect to pay $300 or more.

AFAIK, the main use case for 480i-240p for a monitor is to display games that are natively 240p, but have been upscaled to 480i on the XBOX 360 or the PS2. Like many Shmups games collections came out on those systems at that time. Sure, you can also downscale other hi-res 480i titles to 240p just for fun, but I think it's really just a novelty and you wouldn't want to do that long-term. Perhaps someone like to do that, but I don't.

If the flickering really bothers you, you can also try an Extron VSC 700; there are flicker filters on those that I like for some content
Here’s a fascinating scan converter that could also work: it is one of the very few scan converters that accepts 15kHz input signals (so, essentially when it’s fed a 15kHz source it is a interlaced-only transcoder/encoder with lots of image adjustment options)! Only the CorioScan Pro *SG* models do so (and many TVone Scan Converters, who bought out Vine Micros... but those are gonna be ‘spensive). So you can encode your 480i RGBS / RGsB / RGBHV input into some nicely flicker-filtered composite out!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/302874971514
orange808

Post by orange808 »

kitty666cats wrote:
Here’s a fascinating scan converter that could also work: it is one of the very few scan converters that accepts 15kHz input signals (so, essentially when it’s fed a 15kHz source it is a interlaced-only transcoder/encoder with lots of image adjustment options)! Only the CorioScan Pro *SG* models do so (and many TVone Scan Converters, who bought out Vine Micros... but those are gonna be ‘spensive). So you can encode your 480i RGBS / RGsB / RGBHV input into some nicely flicker-filtered composite out!

That's just their first Corio FPGA design with most of the processing features disabled. The Corio2 replaced that design later on. Even if that machine wasn't limited, it would still be worthless. That particular machine has no practical use. (Maybe it could be a door stop?)

--------
About the Extron VSC machines:
When it comes to proper scan converters, the Extron VSC machines stand alone. There's nothing even close.

The VSC 500 and 700 are the newest and best, but the VSC 300 and 900 also perform well.

The Extron machines outperform all the competition in almost every way. They have plenty of features to fine tune the output, they are easy to use, and they can be found at very reasonable prices. Extron machines even outperform significantly more expensive ImagePro units from Barco/Folsom. I doubt even the OSSC Pro will get all the features the Extron VSC machines have. They are the pinnacle of scan converters.

--------
About Corio2 machines and 480i output:
The Corio2 machines can output off spec refresh rates for interlaced signals if your display can handle it. That's the only feature the Extron machines don't have. Unfortunately, the Corio2 doesn't have a real frame lock, so it still won't guarantee perfect scrolling. Image quality isn't great.

----------
About iScan HD+ and 480i:
The DVDO iScan HD+ outputs 480i that should be frame locked, but it didn't let me fine tune the output much. Should be 6ms of lag. Image quality wasn't very good.

--------
About 240p and the iScan HD+:
The iScan HD+ gets forgotten in the downscaling discussion. It's the only 240p downscaler with frame lock. I had some compatibility problems with some of my consumer televisions, but the iScan HD+ does output 240p (and a PVM/BVM is probably going to accept the signal just fine). On a compatible display: 480p to 240p, frame locked, and 6ms of latency.
We apologise for the inconvenience
RottenToTheGore

Post by RottenToTheGore »

Was considering running the output of a RXI 201 into the OSSC input 2 as RGsB (Sync on green).

I know on input 1 of the OSSC the sync needs to be 75ohm and not TTL, but is sync on green something that needs to be attenuated?
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

orange808 wrote:
kitty666cats wrote:

That's just their first Corio FPGA design with most of the processing features disabled. The Corio2 replaced that design later on. Even if that machine wasn't limited, it would still be worthless. That particular machine has no practical use. (Maybe it could be a door stop?)

--------
About the Extron VSC machines:
When it comes to proper scan converters, the Extron VSC machines stand alone. There's nothing even close.

The VSC 500 and 700 are the newest and best, but the VSC 300 and 900 also perform well.

The Extron machines outperform all the competition in almost every way. They have plenty of features to fine tune the output, they are easy to use, and they can be found at very reasonable prices. Extron machines even outperform significantly more expensive ImagePro units from Barco/Folsom. I doubt even the OSSC Pro will get all the features the Extron VSC machines have. They are the pinnacle of scan converters.

--------
About Corio2 machines and 480i output:
The Corio2 machines can output off spec refresh rates for interlaced signals if your display can handle it. That's the only feature the Extron machines don't have. Unfortunately, the Corio2 doesn't have a real frame lock, so it still won't guarantee perfect scrolling. Image quality isn't great.

----------
About iScan HD+ and 480i:
The DVDO iScan HD+ outputs 480i that should be frame locked, but it didn't let me fine tune the output much. Should be 6ms of lag. Image quality wasn't very good.

--------
About 240p and the iScan HD+:
The iScan HD+ gets forgotten in the downscaling discussion. It's the only 240p downscaler with frame lock. I had some compatibility problems with some of my consumer televisions, but the iScan HD+ does output 240p (and a PVM/BVM is probably going to accept the signal just fine). On a compatible display: 480p to 240p, frame locked, and 6ms of latency.
... I had a CorioScan Pro (non SG) and it was a damn fine scan converter! Also had a Analog Way VHX480 in the past that was great!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLTtUail-Gf ... 3bnl7so4wv

^ first two pics in this post are the Analog Way RGBS, the PVM-2530 pics are Svideo on the CorioScan Pro. Damn fine 480i IMHO - have you even TRIED the old Vine Micros scan converters?
nolepe

Post by nolepe »

vol.2 wrote: If the flickering really bothers you, you can also try an Extron VSC 700; there are flicker filters on those that I like for some content
Fudoh wrote that need to use VSC+RGB Rxi units. Why?
What the difference in the RGB output between "480i with anti-flickering filter after VSC" and "fake-240p after VSC+RGB Rxi" ?
What the difference in the RGB output between 1. Extron VSC, 2. Extron RGB Rxi, 3. Extron VSC+RGB Rxi?
What the difference in the RGB output between Extron RGB Rxi and Extron RGB xi ?
What the difference in the AV output between VSC->AV and Emotia->AV ? Or both pictures will be good for gaming on PVM?
kitty666cats wrote: http://m.axunworks.com/RGB-to-Composite ... 41706.html
^ Expensive as hell, sure is a pretty lookin’ thing though!
I'm not sure what signal goes to AV-out in the RGB-2YC. 480i or 240p. Has it some anti-flicker filters or not?
How to know which signal is coming through composite to the PVM: 240p or 480i?
And what real difference between "480i with anti-flickering filters" and 240p ? Will be both pictures are good for gaming?
What the difference between Extron VSC->AV and RGB-2YC->AV ?
Last edited by nolepe on Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

VSC chained to a RGB interface with DDSP isn’t real 240p, just finely tuned flicker filtered and image position adjustable (depending on which Extron RGB interface)

You need a Corio2 (TVone C2-400 is a popular one) or GBS Control for true 480i -> 240p. Emotia is 480p -> 240p, no 480i option.

The RGB to Svid / Composite units do not downscale! They are an option for connecting to the output from GBS Control, or some C2 units have composite out. There’s a separate thread covering those units - one of those, or 480i RGBS (csync)/OR component YPbPr fed into a GBSControl unit, with its 480i to 240p downscaling activated, chained into a RGB to Svid / composite.

If you’re using a PC, then you just need the right video card (one that can do 240p) fed into one of those 15kHz RGB VGA To Svid/Composite devices I linked

Another option is always composite out of a Raspberry Pi, as well -
https://www.reddit.com/user/ErantyInt/c ... ope_unite/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To be frank though, un-altered composite or svid 480i is already gonna look good on many PVMs! Some PVMs have kinda bad comb filtering, in which case a cheap Faroudja VP100 may help a bit. Or, if you are lucky enough to find one, a Crystal Vision VPS-1.

Or snag some RGB/component cables if your PVM has said inputs ;)
nolepe

Post by nolepe »

kitty666cats wrote:un-altered composite or svid 480i is already gonna look good on many PVMs!
Wii 480i/576i (original composite/component cable) on both L2 and L4 is a real shimmering mess. Hard to look at it
kitty666cats wrote: You need a GBS Control for true 480i -> 240p
GBS8200+GBS Control have no composite output
There’s a separate thread covering those units - one of those, or 480i RGBS (csync)/OR component YPbPr fed into a GBSControl unit, with its 480i to 240p downscaling activated, chained into a RGB to Svid / composite.
link?
Last edited by nolepe on Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

nolepe wrote:GBS8200+GBS Control have no composite output
That’s why I linked three devices that accept 240p and 480i RGBHV and output composite and svid - the 240p downscale of GBSC is either RGBHV or component if you activate component output in the advanced menu

Also here is a good Wii component cable - the separated wires in that ribbon-style make for virtually zero interference / crosstalk.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GDQ8I3U/re ... UTF8&psc=1
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

nolepe wrote: Wii 480i/576i (original composite/component cable) on both L2 and L4 is a real shimmering mess. Hard to look at it
The Wii 480i output is known to be sharp. I could understand composite looking crappy because it almost always does, but the Component cables (YPbPr) should look fantastic on a PVM.

Your experience with it is atypical, so it's difficult to advise you.

Perhaps you for some reason don't like any interlaced content at all. If that's the case, buy a device that averages adjacent lines. (Super Emotia)

I would advise to first try a VSC 700 and turn on the flicker filter. If you are experiencing flicker in 480i, that will help a lot.

The reason Fudoh made the VSC-RGB suggestion is for arcade games that started out 240p. Many of the XBOX 360 and PS2 arcade collections are 240p games that were upscaled to 480i or 480p. If you want to play them in original 240p, the VSC-RGB solution works by throwing out every other vertical line.

If you try that method with native 480i games, you lose half the pixels. Super Emotia will do something different (average adjacent pixels) and GBS Control can do it, but it's a DIY project so may require some work from you.

This forum (Shmups) is essentially an arcade game forum, so many of the methods here are done for reasons that focus on that, so it's unsurprising that we are focusing on tricks to enhance the appearance of Shmups games,
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

I would advise to first try a VSC 700 and turn on the flicker filter.
Unfortunately the VSC 700 is limited to RGB input signals. I think the older VSC 900 was the only one of Extron scan converters that also accepted component instead of RGB.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Fudoh wrote:
Unfortunately the VSC 700 is limited to RGB input signals. I think the older VSC 900 was the only one of Extron scan converters that also accepted component instead of RGB.
Oops. Good catch. :mrgreen:
orange808

Post by orange808 »

The Corio2 and iScan HD+ also average lines.

I remember someone on the forum tried having the iScan HD+ deinterlace 480i and output a downscaled 240p image. I don't remember if I tried that.

YMMV on 480i output scan converters. I have owned quite a few at this point and the Extron VSC units are my favorite by far.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

vol.2 wrote:
Fudoh wrote:
Oops. Good catch. :mrgreen:
No problem. :)

The VSC 300/900 and VSC 500/700 units handle up to 1080p without issues, so most people can probably chain it after the OSSC using a HDMI distribution amp and a DAC.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Does anyone know about the screen quality of the 3DS XL and 2DS XL?

I'm planning to replay some DS games, but I need a bigger screen because my eyes suck and I need a slightly bigger screen to play them on than the original.

I see that there are 3 choices, the first 3DS XL, the New 3DS XL, and the New 2DS XL.

Is there any difference between the quality of the the image on the screens?

I won't be playing anything newer than DS carts, so the 3D function is irrelevant to me; I'm solely interested in what the best image quality is.
Unseen

Post by Unseen »

vol.2 wrote:I'm planning to replay some DS games, but I need a bigger screen because my eyes suck and I need a slightly bigger screen to play them on than the original.
Have you considered a DSi XL? Its screens are a tiny bit larger than the lower screen of a 3DS XL and it has the correct resolution for DS games, so you don't need to decide between blurry scaling or a pixel-exact smaller image.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Unseen wrote:
vol.2 wrote:I'm planning to replay some DS games, but I need a bigger screen because my eyes suck and I need a slightly bigger screen to play them on than the original.
Have you considered a DSi XL? Its screens are a tiny bit larger than the lower screen of a 3DS XL and it has the correct resolution for DS games, so you don't need to decide between blurry scaling or a pixel-exact smaller image.
Okay, no, I didn't think about that one. For some reason I missed it's existence.

Thanks!
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

Unseen wrote:
I can second this. DSi XL is the luxurious way to play original DS (and emulated GBA).
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Third it.

Regular DSi is a great alternative. It actually looks sharper and even a bit brighter due to the smaller screen/higher pixel density. And it's of course lighter to hold during extended play.

But an XL is still my go to.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Great. Thanks for the input everyone. :D
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Does anyone have any recommended PS1 controllers for shmups? I'm picking up a lot of imports in some Yahoo Japan auctions soon and finally getting my PSOne chipped and no way in hell am I going to use that Dualshock D-Pad. It already hurt my thumb as a kid playing Crash Bandicoot...

Floating Saturn-style preferred but I think anything would be an improvement. Maybe there's a Saturn to PS1 adapter too (I see a lot the other way around. Gross.)?

EDIT: Brooke converter + Retro-bit Saturn pad? Would be more inclined if my 2.4GHz Retro-Bit didn't have awful battery life like many people have reported...
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.