UltraHDMI group-buy ROUND 7 - 2021-01-30 UPDATE

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
TooBeaucoup

Re: UltraHDMI group-buy ROUND 7 - 2021-01-30 UPDATE

Post by TooBeaucoup »

Socalju wrote:Voultar spoke the truth. Get out while you can. Still waiting for my refund.
I have no doubt all of the kits will eventually be delivered, but at this point, you'll probably get an N64 Digital sooner, especially if you're on the second half of the UltraHDMI waiting list! So I'd definitely drop out if I were on the list.
CZroe

Post by CZroe »

Socalju wrote:Voultar spoke the truth. Get out while you can. Still waiting for my refund.
On the contrary, even Voultar knows he misspoke and acknowledged the facts of the matter within seconds of that tweet after I immediately shared tracking and a video of the delivery happening earlier that day. My brother even showed him rows and rows of kits laid out from the first package to prove they were real and the group buy was delivering.

Voultar simply did not know that UltraHDMI HW2 was already shipping since before N64Digital was even announced. We have 230 kits in-hand and are processing them RIGHT NOW with 400 more boards produced (waiting for cables from Korea). This is what is happening with them at this very moment:

Full rez

How's that for a "pipe-dream?" ;) The misunderstanding was not his fault because he literally knew less about the group buy status than many of the people asking. Clearly, we are a little busy with UltraHDMI HW2 right now, as we should be, so instead of panicing we ask that you let us get these kits distributed before we contact everyone seeking refunds with an offer to switch to N64Digital or a refund.

At this point the fear-mongering is disrupting us from testing and shipping by making it impossible to figure out who is still in line and who isn't. The list is changing faster than we can ship. This should be a time of excitement and celebration for the people who still want them. Please let us finish servicing them and finalizing our N64Digital offering. The people who still want it have waited far too long for us to delay it any further. Thank you.

Edit:
Full rez

Full rez

...and here is a perfect example of why this is important. Something is clearly wrong with this one! I spent most of last night and today adding solder to the HDMI anchors, which is something I've been doing with every kit since 2018. I think it was LeonK who first pointed out the need. Thanks, Leon!
Last edited by CZroe on Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

citrus3000psi wrote:
nbd wrote:Interesting about the lag and scalers. Those are the things I'm most concerned about, as price is reasonable and kind of a lesser issue for me.

So you think the lag will be lower in N64Digital? Be very curious to see a side-by-side video comparison, but that likely won't happen for a while after N64Digital launches and I hope to be in the first wave so I'll just have to decide on the basis of the feature list.

Thanks!

Yes the lag will be lower in the N64D. UH in direct mode (480p) is pretty low (No idea how many lines buffered) but all other modes will have least a full frame buffered. The N64D will have the same lag in all modes ~20 lines buffered(1-2ms), it has the same clockgen found PS1D that allows this to be possible.

The scaler will also allow for cropping and zooming of the image, we are also playing around with custom resolutions that the user can input.

Most of these questions should prolly be moved to the N64Digital thread, don't want to gum up this thread with non relevant stuff.
How much lag is in the analog RGBS output? I noticed that on your website, 480i was not listed as one of the supported resolutions. Is it not possible to output 480i through the analog AV Multi-Out port?

Also, can you output different resolutions at the same time? For example, can I play Super Mario 64 in analog RGBS 240p through the AV Multiout port, while simultaneously outputting 1080p through the HDMI port for capturing/streaming?

Finally. will this have 15-bit color Mode? I don't see it listed as a feature on the website. Only Deblur.

Thanks Dan :D
Last edited by Ikaruga11 on Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CZroe

Post by CZroe »

GeneraLight wrote:
citrus3000psi wrote:
nbd wrote:Interesting about the lag and scalers. Those are the things I'm most concerned about, as price is reasonable and kind of a lesser issue for me.

So you think the lag will be lower in N64Digital? Be very curious to see a side-by-side video comparison, but that likely won't happen for a while after N64Digital launches and I hope to be in the first wave so I'll just have to decide on the basis of the feature list.

Thanks!

Yes the lag will be lower in the N64D. UH in direct mode (480p) is pretty low (No idea how many lines buffered) but all other modes will have least a full frame buffered. The N64D will have the same lag in all modes ~20 lines buffered(1-2ms), it has the same clockgen found PS1D that allows this to be possible.

The scaler will also allow for cropping and zooming of the image, we are also playing around with custom resolutions that the user can input.

Most of these questions should prolly be moved to the N64Digital thread, don't want to gum up this thread with non relevant stuff.
How much lag is in the analog RGBS output? I noticed that on your website, 480i was not listed as one of the supported resolutions. Is it not possible to output 480i through the analog AV Multi-Out port?

Also, can you output different resolutions at the same time? For example, can I play Super Mario 64 in analog RGBS 240p through the AV Multiout port, while simultaneously outputting 1080p through the HDMI port for capturing/streaming?

Thanks Dan :D
I believe Dan is answering these questions in the N64Digital thread but if it is anything like UltraHDMI HW2 + DAC module then it is slightly faster than the N64's original DAC. I don't know if N64Digital will be scaling analog output at all but the list of resolutions without 480i is likely just for HDMI output. 480i must be deinterlaced before it is scaled so it probably does not support 480i output through HDMI. It does support 480i as an input resolution.
TooBeaucoup

Post by TooBeaucoup »

God, I still love those glass frame XBRs! It was so cool when TV manufacturer's still gave a shlt about giving their flagship TVs a unique look.

CZroe

Post by CZroe »

Testing update:
We finished connecting and running all 230 kits through the Self Test. As shown earlier, one kit did not seem to be properly provisioned. The serial number is borked but it seems otherwise functional. Obviously, I'll have to ask Marshall if it will cause issues updating or anything. He may provide me with a JIS file to reprogram it with whatever was supposed to be there.

More than half-way through the testing process we noticed that some kits were saying "HW2+Analog" even with no DAC connected (should just say "HW2"). We noticed three. Rather than re-testing every kit we will review our test footage to see if any others were doing this. We tested one with a DAC and it seemed to work normally otherwise, so the kits that always detect a DAC should probably be bundled with DACs.

We're off to hand-deliver some of the kits to Don777 and we will continue packing more when we get back.

Edit: Done! Was nice meeting you. Ichinisan is preparing installation pics for you now.
TooBeaucoup wrote:God, I still love those glass frame XBRs! It was so cool when TV manufacturer's still gave a shlt about giving their flagship TVs a unique look.

LOL! We really need a newer TV. ;) The visual design is great but the KDL-52XBR2 (2006 LCD; $5,000) performance just didn't continue to impress compared to our older KV-30XBR910 (2003 CRT; $2,300). I even see them at thrift stores occasionally. I passed on the XBR3 (piano black + extra year of warranty) back in the day to save money so seeing one of those AND an XBR4 in Goodwill at the same time really reminds me how obsolete it is.
Last edited by CZroe on Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
cook99

Post by cook99 »

Awesome work testing guys and thanks for transparency and great attitudes through all this bullsht.

Confirming I received my refund thank you kindly (lost $45 on currency fluctuation but that isn't your fault haha) wishing you all the best in closing this and future endeavours.

Now to wait for Dan to release.
PULOVR

Post by PULOVR »

As someone mentioned earlier, it looks like the 230 kits Ichinisan has right now would cover orders up to line 108, with line 109 (Retro-HDMI) getting around 25(?) of their 100 kit order.

I then started counting from that point onward to see where it would fall on the list with the next batch of 400 boards that Ichinisan mentioned. Looks like it would bring it to around 335 (more or less). I'm line 449 right now, and there are many people with multiple kits before me. :(

Ichinisan, when you have a chance, do you think you could update the chart so it has a more accurate account of how many people are still on it, along with their total kit count? Thank you.
TooBeaucoup

Post by TooBeaucoup »

CZroe wrote: LOL! We really need a newer TV. ;) The visual design is great but the KDL-52XBR2 (2006 LCD; $5,000) performance just didn't continue to impress compared to our older KV-30XBR910 (2003 CRT; $2,300). I even see them at thrift stores occasionally. I passed on the XBR3 (piano black + extra year of warranty) back in the day to save money so seeing one of those AND an XBR4 in Goodwill at the same time really reminds me how obsolete it is.
Yeah, but the design is impeccable! And the picture is still passable! 8)
CZroe

Post by CZroe »

Talked with Marshall last night and he confirmed that the kit reporting a wonky serial number lacks provisioning. Unfortunately, it needs to be sent back, probably because his secure bootloader only accepts OTP provisioning through the test/programming jig he created. Luckily, it was the only board like that. He says the screen would've turned yellow if we left it running so it couldn't just be used as-is. Sounds like another firmware security measure for any would-be cloners who get that far. ;)
cave hermit

Post by cave hermit »

So, what is the difference between what the ultra hdmi is offering and the n64 digital exactly? It seems like everyone is switching over to n64 digital mostly for supply reasons, but it seems like now there are quite a few units of ultra hdmi up for grabs due to refunds just prior to supply coming in?
hushed

Post by hushed »

PULOVR wrote:Ichinisan, when you have a chance, do you think you could update the chart so it has a more accurate account of how many people are still on it, along with their total kit count? Thank you.
He is removing some people from the list. I have bumped up two lines as a result.

If you want to know where you are, make a copy of the sheet. Then in cell V4, enter the formula "=G4". Then in cell V5, enter the formula "=G5+V4". Don't use the quotation marks. Then with cell V5 selected, double click on the bottom right corner of that. This will copy the total kits, by line down the entire page.

This list will go out of date with each update, but it will give you an idea where you are quite quickly.

I would share a link to this, but someone would think it's the official list, and I don't want to cause confusion.
StrikerTek

Post by StrikerTek »

cave hermit wrote:So, what is the difference between what the ultra hdmi is offering and the n64 digital exactly? It seems like everyone is switching over to n64 digital mostly for supply reasons, but it seems like now there are quite a few units of ultra hdmi up for grabs due to refunds just prior to supply coming in?
I think it is mostly out of frustration about the long wait, and the promise of better product support and firmware updates in the future with N64digital. No review has been published yet comparing ultraHDMI and N64digital directly, but as per Dan, N64digital should have less lag while providing similar or better picture quality.

For me, I have been waiting on the list 18 months now for 1 kit, have no interest in the DAC which has been a huge reason for the delay, and also have zero technical skills to install this or the tools to take apart my N64 in the future for ultraHDMI firmware updates (if Marshall decides to support this device at all anymore). The Wifi updates with N64digital are the biggest selling point for me, and the reason I'll be switching my reservation over if a deal is able to be struck with PixelFX for those of us who have waited the longest to be included in the 1st batch. My job does not allow for me to be able to be at a computer hitting refresh when N64digital pre-orders go live, so I am hopeful that we can switch over to N64digital with this group buy without having to request a refund.
DoomsDave

Post by DoomsDave »

StrikerTek wrote:and also have zero technical skills to install this or the tools to take apart my N64 in the future for ultraHDMI firmware updates
FWIW you can update the ultraHDMI with an everdrive and don't need to take it apart.
nbd

Post by nbd »

DoomsDave wrote:FWIW you can update the ultraHDMI with an everdrive and don't need to take it apart.
Nice, that's awesome to know. Just got an Everdrive 64.
StrikerTek

Post by StrikerTek »

DoomsDave wrote:
StrikerTek wrote:and also have zero technical skills to install this or the tools to take apart my N64 in the future for ultraHDMI firmware updates
FWIW you can update the ultraHDMI with an everdrive and don't need to take it apart.
That is good to know. Don't have an everdrive yet but have been considering getting one once the HDMI mod was done. Not as convenient as wifi but much better than taking apart the console for sure
Link585

Post by Link585 »

This may be a really dumb question... but is their a way to get in on this still?
nbd

Post by nbd »

It looks like the N64Digital will work with YPbPr Component via multi-out, do we know if the UltraHDMI+RGB mod will similarly work with component outputs? I still have a good consumer CRT with the old green-red-blue jacks that I'd like to use.
strayan

Post by strayan »

nbd wrote:It looks like the N64Digital will work with YPbPr Component via multi-out, do we know if the UltraHDMI+RGB mod will similarly work with component outputs? I still have a good consumer CRT with the old green-red-blue jacks that I'd like to use.
Are you planning to make your own multiout to component cable?
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

strayan wrote:

I have an open source adapter multiout to wii multiout.

https://github.com/citrus3000psi/GCVide ... %20Adapter
Spoiler
CZroe

Post by CZroe »

DoomsDave wrote:
Yeah. I've updated them with all kinds of crazy stuff.

Bung Doctor V64 (Mr. Backup Z64, CD64 would work too)
Bung V64jr512 (standard V64jr would work too)
Everdrive 64 v2.5 (ED64+ should work too)
Stone Age Gamer Ultra Everdrive 64 Deluxe v3.0
RetroStage N64 Blaster boards (all flash PCBs should work)
64Drive HW2 (with WiFi; HW1 should work too)
RetroActive UltraHDMI Upgrade Cartridge (1st loaner is in CAN)
CD-R in a Sony Playstation (using Bung Multi Xchanger MGD³)
...and a clone USB Blaster, but that was used to recover a bricked unit and didn't take standard FW.

Some of those are convoluted in their own right but the only one that involved taking anything apart was the USB Blaster and that was because I bricked one when testing prototype 1.08 FW. The kind of update you need for using that is the kind that would open Marshall up to UltraHDMI clones/fakes, so end users were never expected to update that way, unlike some of the GCVideo solutions.

The brick happened when I was updating to beta 1.08 FW but was actually caused by the earlier firmware. During the update I switched from HDMI to an analog input on my TV. No reason to sit there and stare at a progress bar, right? Well, switching inputs on the TV basically turned off the HDMI port causing the HDMI transmitter to lose DCDI and turn off. For whatever reason, disconnecting the HDMI cable bombs the update on FW1.07a and earlier. The UltraHDMI LED indicates no HDMI connected until I switch back to HDMI. Marshall fixed the firmware for the final 1.08 release and it no longer bombs when HDMI disconnects during a FW update but still be aware when updating to 1.08+ from anything earlier. I only hope the recent GCVideo products considered this.

I switched inputs out of curiosity. Knowing that the UltraHDMI interfaces only with digital video, digital audio, and a serial controller PIF connection, I figured it was using the video bus to transmit firmware data and that the progress bar was a routine in the existing FW (not generated by the N64). I knew it would not be able to suppress the data for analog video and I should be able to see the data as garbage pixels. Garbage pixels: confirmed, but the pixels were frozen due to DCDI loss and the UltraHDMI was bricked. If I had a second TV connected I could've checked without issue. Glad we caught it because the same thing could have happened to someone who simply turns off their TV during an update.

Edit: And because I'm sure someone will want to know more about how I update from a Playstation with CD-R...
https://i.imgur.com/Sc4KF7l.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/nHs4DQk.jpg

Bung's Multi Game Doctor series 3 (MGD³). In this setup I'm not using the inserted Doctor GB Card but I am using the Multi Xchanger and the V64jr512... rebranded to E64 so Bung and Lik-Sang could sneak it past US Customs back in the day. ;) Somewhere I also have my GB Xchanger but I never had the Pocket Voice or any of the other carts. Literally had all that since I was a teenager except for the Multi Xchanger since was a naive anti-Playstation Nintendo 64 die-hard back then.

I think Marshall's original plan was to have the 64Drive HW2 work as the interface for wireless or SD updates. WiFi updates are cool and all but there will be loaner paks (UltraHDMI Upgrade Cartridge) for the few of you weirdos without a flash cart. :)
https://i.imgur.com/I519V9E.jpg
nbd wrote:It looks like the N64Digital will work with YPbPr Component via multi-out, do we know if the UltraHDMI+RGB mod will similarly work with component outputs? I still have a good consumer CRT with the old green-red-blue jacks that I'd like to use.
Yes. I've been making mine from old XBOX 360 YPbPr component cables but the one without a superfluous composite plug is not common so I switched to salvaging decent cables from a set top box. Of course, the superfluous composite plug would be useful if your goal was to make an RGBS cable for a PVM without YPbPr.

I bought the one you see above in a bulk pack of shielded STB cables but I don't know if I want to join the fray of cable makers without some experience making them robust and reliable. I intended to make them for UltraHDMI HW2 buyers and can still offer that as a favor though I can't vouch for them long-term. Not sure which measures work and which don't and in the mean time I don't want to be raked over the coals by the cable makers who have already figured it out/iterated. I just want to add value for the group buy and am not aiming to go commercial with them.
citrus3000psi wrote:
strayan wrote:

I have an open source adapter multiout to wii multiout.

https://github.com/citrus3000psi/GCVide ... %20Adapter
Spoiler
Awesome! Do you think it can be tweaked to suit simultaneous output with a No-Cut? If so, I'll ask my brother if he can make the tweak and contribute back (he also does our 3D printing stuff). :)

Which reminds me: Anyone requesting the DAC or N64Digital who also wants No-Cut should be aware that you won't be able to do simultaneous analog+digital output with most HDMI+Multi-AV cable combos. The No-Cut simply puts both ports too close to each other. You might be able to get around this with a low-profile FPC mini-HDMI type-C cable (common with FPV drone hobbyists) and particular sets of analog cables but I never explored that. This has always been the case. I just want to remind anyone paying for the DAC module and requesting a No-Cut since you guys are more likely to be attempting dual simultaneous output than people who aren't intentionally upgrading their analog outputs.
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

CZroe wrote:
Awesome! Do you think it can be tweaked to suit simultaneous output with a No-Cut? If so, I'll ask my brother if he can make the tweak and contribute back (he also does our 3D printing stuff). :)

I couldn't find any way to mount the board to be no cut while allowing the multiout to still be used. Without doing something crazy, like removing the multiout all together and inserting the HDMI + 8 pin din etc in that open spot.
Cooperd9

Post by Cooperd9 »

citrus3000psi wrote:
CZroe wrote:

I couldn't find any way to mount the board to be no cut while allowing the multiout to still be used. Without doing something crazy, like removing the multiout all together and inserting the HDMI + 8 pin din etc in that open spot.
You could probably shave the housing on the cable connectors, the micro hdmi cable I'm using with my gc dual seems to have between 1/8 and 1/16 of an inch of excess plastic/rubber on the housing that I could shave down with a sharp knife before it would risk damaging the wires. Most of the SNES/gamecube style multi-outs I have seen have even more space than that if you pop open the plastic housing. Between the two of those, cutting out enough material and then wrapping the ends in electrical tape to prevent shorts should be doable, although it would reduce the durability of the cables and you might go through a couple cables in the process if you haven't done anything like that before.

That being said, I haven't actually seen the no-cut mod in person before, I'm still waiting on a mod kit, it looks like there should be enough room for modified cables based on pictures but my estimates could easily be off.

Also, you could just brute force a way to having enough space by just 3d printing a shim that goes all the way around the outside of the case like laserbears height def nes for the NES HDMI mod.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Cooperd9 wrote:Also, you could just brute force a way to having enough space by just 3d printing a shim that goes all the way around the outside of the case like laserbears height def nes for the NES HDMI mod.
I don't think that kind of mod would be necessary; I think you could get a cleaner result by 3D-printing a new AV shroud that relocates the HDMI connector outside of the case and provides a mount for it, like Greg's other Hi-Def NES no-cut mod.
CZroe

Post by CZroe »

Well, I'm rotting during downtime at work. I can't leave to go help my brother with UltraHDMI and he's much too busy to post so I might as well keep the convo going.

Anyway, we got an unexpected delivery today:
Full

Full

Uhh, yeah. Extra labels. A LOT of extra labels. I'm confused because we had enough for the 230 kits, plus 7 extra. That's not a lot extra but it's certainly enough. Since we weren't expecting anything right now, maybe these were meant for another installer... but I think that's our installer code. *SHRUG* We'll ask Marshall.

After I discussed making loaner UltraHDMI Upgrade Cartridges for people without a flashcart, Marshall told us he's still working on the FW that he intended to be launch FW for HW2. He didn't say what he was adding but I suspect a UI improvement at least. Seems there's room to improve with that colored block that indicates your DeBlur setting over analog. If that is possible then I assume a full OSD is possible too.

If the new FW has anything compelling and you don't have a flash cart then let us know and we'll slot you in for a loaner UltraHDMI Upgrade Cartridge. I only ask that you cover expenses to ship to the next person. I will try to make one for every major region to reduce burdensome international shipping (one for USA, one for CAN, one for EUR, etc). It may not be as compelling as WiFi updates but it should remove any lingering anxiety about your ability to update to 1.09+.

Since a lot of N64 enthusiasts with UltraHDMI already have access to flashcarts I don't expect the loaners to be needed much. The last one I made for FW1.08 only ever got used twice so it's still hanging out with a friend in Canada... and the only reason it got used that much is because I shared it with a friend who didn't even get his kit or install from me. ;) Obviously, I'm obligated to prioritize you guys but I'm perfectly willing to include anyone else who needs it.

That said, these were shipped to me as bare boards despite the product label saying "Cartridge." It would be much cheaper to ship them to each other the same way... maybe sandwiched between cardboard in a 1st class envelope. They are cheap enough that if one gets damaged I can send another. I think I paid $7.50ea for the first few back in 2017. The correct orientation is clearly marked on BOTH sides and all the components are surface-mounted. There is little risk of putting it in backwards or scratching/snagging component legs on console door flaps, thus, little need for a shell. So let me know how you guys think it should be:
With a shell and more expensive shipping between each user?
...or...
Without a shell and more affordable shipping between each user?
citrus3000psi wrote:
CZroe wrote:

Perhaps a version that completely replaces the No-Cut AV hood might be useful... so that it no longer takes original AV cables at all and screws down inside the console. Wii YPbPr/YGsB/CVBS cables are plentiful enough (kind of the point) and the relative obscurity of Wii Y/C cables probably wouldn't be a concern for most who want dual simultaneous output (mostly streamers). The No-Cut hood already needs a bit of a tweak to fit the UltraHDMI DAC but it was so minor that it made more sense to do with flush-cutters on the existing design.

My brother is so busy already that I hate to propose more projects for him to work on but I'll definitely suggest it.
nmalinoski wrote:
Cooperd9 wrote:Also, you could just brute force a way to having enough space by just 3d printing a shim that goes all the way around the outside of the case like laserbears height def nes for the NES HDMI mod.
I don't think that kind of mod would be necessary; I think you could get a cleaner result by 3D-printing a new AV shroud that relocates the HDMI connector outside of the case and provides a mount for it, like Greg's other Hi-Def NES no-cut mod.
I was planning to do exactly that back in 2017, which is why I was looking into those FPV Drone HDMI and HDMI-C FPC cables. Immediately recognized them the first time I saw Greg's No-Cut for NES-001. :)
Jefferson

Post by Jefferson »

Any updates on refund requests? It has been two weeks since people requested refunds on January 30th. It would be nice if the early refund requests could at least be processed. Thanks!
CZroe

Post by CZroe »

News:
When we were getting an unexpected shipment of 152ct labels from Marshall, Marshall was receiving 600ct FFC from Korea! That is much faster than we were expecting. He says they look great but he is still evaluating them (1st time with the Korean fab). Not sure if that means test installs or checking integrity on a test jig or what. These will be paired with 400 completed boards that he already had in January. I believe those 400 boards are already provisioned and otherwise ready to go but I need to double-check.

Regarding those labels: I looked back in our conversation history and he wasn't sure if he included labels with the second package (150 units). Guess we should have let him know we had labels but we were way too busy testing/shipping kits. We discussed that these extra 152 labels will go toward the next batch of 400 kits. HEY, GUYS! 152 of the next 400 kits made have started to ship. ;)
Jefferson wrote:Any updates on refund requests? It has been two weeks since people requested refunds on January 30th. It would be nice if the early refund requests could at least be processed. Thanks!
People requested refunds on January 30th (and earlier!) without full knowledge that UltraHDMI HW2 was already shipping or that Dan and Co would be able to help us switch many of you to N64Digital... and many of them have received their refunds already. See the log in the OP. He's refunded several people he hasn't yet listed as he naturally encounters them when searching through/corresponding with the intended recipients of the first 230 UltraHDMI HW2 kits. Obviously, people who still want UltraHDMI HW2 do not deserve further delays so he is obligated to handle them first. Technically, their money was already spent on these kits but he is still giving them the option anyway even when we lose money on refunding them (absorbing PayPal fees, currency conversion fees, etc).

He will systematically go through looking for every refund request when he is done shipping the kits we have on-hand and figures out how he plans to offer the allotment of N64Digital. We'd be pretty much done with them if he didn't have to go back and forth with each person to make sure they want UltraHDMI, refund, N64Digital, etc.

Regarding the switch to N64Digital, it may not be as straight-forward as assigning them to the first people in line who want to switch. After all, some of the people requesting refunds have already sent their consoles in for UltraHDMI. It would be a huge waste to ship them round-trip internationally if they would have rather just switched, especially if they are going to ship it off again for N64Digital.

Of the people he has already corresponded with regarding the 230 kits, many who were requesting refunds have changed their mind and decided to get their UltraHDMI (or both). Still, the announcement of N64Digital and the subsequent refund requests are definitely disrupting/slowing disbursement of these 230 kits. Many of the requests are proving to be premature, so please have some patience and we will be able to get to everyone sooner. Thanks!
Magician

Post by Magician »

Jefferson wrote:Any updates on refund requests? It has been two weeks since people requested refunds on January 30th. It would be nice if the early refund requests could at least be processed. Thanks!
Requested a refund 2+ weeks ago and haven't even received a response yet. Not really surprising for this group
CZroe

Post by CZroe »

Some notes on HW2 installation for installers and DIY:
Digital flex installation is exactly the same as HW1 except the In-Game Reset connection is no longer a separate jumper and is now on the part of the flex that goes to the PIF chip for reading controller input. The longer branch goes to the old connection for reading your controller-either pin 16 of the PIF (Controller 1 Data) or a nearby via, depending on board revision (check Installation Guide). The shorter one simply goes to pin 27 of the PIF (Console Reset).

The analog flex is very delicate and frustratingly short. Be VERY careful or you might tear it. You should see a 1 and 2 on it that align with pins 1 and 2 under the multi-out. The rest of the install is the same as any other RGB bypass with C-Sync. Some NTSC consoles already have C-Sync connected to the DAC and others don't. You will need to remove components on most NUS-CPU-01, NUS-CPU-02, and NUS-CPU-03 boards. Though the component footprints are present in NUS-CPU-04 they usually aren't populated and you don't need to do anything but it's best to check just in case.

Components to remove:
Full

NUS-CPU-03 populated:
Full

NUS-CPU-04 unpopulated:
Full

Reference Designators:
Full

You don't have to remove every one (Q1, for example) but there is some ambiguity with the refdes silkscreening so it's easier to just say "take 'em all off and make this look like that." ;)

Analog flex cable routing (two bends):
Full

Full
Magician wrote:Requested a refund 2+ weeks ago and haven't even received a response yet. Not really surprising for this group
Not really surprising when you requested it right after 230 kits were shipped. ;)

Full
Staging/packing area. There are literally towers of consoles in other rooms too. This is his life now.

He's obviously in a rush to process UltraHDMI all day, every day, for the near future... as he should be. I'm not even there to help since I'm working every day. All I can do to help is post here and solder whatever he has ready for me after work then test whatever he reassembled and hasn't tested until it's time to sleep and go back to work the next day.

Surely, you agree that the people who still want these 230 kits should not be forced to wait any longer. Might you even be one of them? Even if you no longer want UltraHDMI it sounds like you would be one of the first in line for N64Digital. He will be contacting you soon to offer you these options.

Remember, this is a group buy, so we aren't profiting from the kits and as GameTechUS has said: this isn't Walmart (and he was selling for profit). If your money was already sent to Marshall and your kit is here or on the way then we can't demand that Ichinisan cover your refund... and yet he has been anyway... and eating PayPal fees/currency conversion fees... and working on a way to switch people to N64Digital... all without asking anyone to pay any more than it cost us.

Unless you were one of the last to join, he loses money on every refund. Give him the chance to help you get what you want and he will do everything he can. He isn't some store selling something you can frivolously return. Look at those fees in the OP refund history and understand that it's even more now (he hasn't had time to update the OP though he has issued more refunds). Thankfully, most of the people he's talked to so far who were set to get one of these 230 have decided to keep UltraHDMI HW2.
Last edited by CZroe on Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
darkghost

Post by darkghost »

Good job men! You guys are going above and beyond and it’s appreciated. Hope it goes smoothly here on out for you brothers.