N64Digital

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
strygo

N64Digital

Post by strygo »

https://twitter.com/citrus3000psi/statu ... 46403?s=21

This is big news. I’ve been quite happy with the UltraHDMI mod - it really set the standard for HDMI mods overall. The V2 revision with RGB support looked appealing as well, but the supply issues have been a killer.
Blacksheep
Banned User

Re: N64Digital

Post by Blacksheep »

What a relief.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

The PCB background on the pixelfx.co site caught my eye; does it have the same installation profile as the UltraHDMI? Could it be sort of a drop-in replacement (at least the PCB part) for those who have already cut their cases for an UltraHDMI?
Blacksheep
Banned User

Post by Blacksheep »

nmalinoski wrote:The PCB background on the pixelfx.co site caught my eye; does it have the same installation profile as the UltraHDMI? Could it be sort of a drop-in replacement (at least the PCB part) for those who have already cut their cases for an UltraHDMI?
Comparison:
milo22

Post by milo22 »

Ugh looks like it's going to be mini hdmi. I really like the full hdmi port on the ps1digital. I don't like dealing with dongles. That being said though I am super excited about this release. Whatever Dan releases I buy period! I can't wait!
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

milo22 wrote:Ugh looks like it's going to be mini hdmi. I really like the full hdmi port on the ps1digital. I don't like dealing with dongles. That being said though I am super excited about this release. Whatever Dan releases I buy period! I can't wait!
You can get mini HDMI to HDMI cables so no need to use dongles :) That said I also hate mini HDMI. On several occasions I have found the connector to be extremely unreliable. Not only causing image drop outs but also one time caused HDMI ARC to fail between my TV and Receiver for some reason, made me spend hours to track down the source of the problem.
milo22

Post by milo22 »

Konsolkongen wrote:
milo22 wrote:Ugh looks like it's going to be mini hdmi. I really like the full hdmi port on the ps1digital. I don't like dealing with dongles. That being said though I am super excited about this release. Whatever Dan releases I buy period! I can't wait!
You can get mini HDMI to HDMI cables so no need to use dongles :) That said I also hate mini HDMI. On several occasions I have found the connector to be extremely unreliable. Not only causing image drop outs but also one time caused HDMI ARC to fail between my TV and Receiver for some reason, made me spend hours to track down the source of the problem.
You may have just solved an intermittent issue I have with my dchdmi. I thought it may have been something else but I never suspected the mini hdmi adapter. I'm going to buy a cable instead now.
Landspeeder95

Post by Landspeeder95 »

Sub'd to follow
spmbx

Post by spmbx »

This is great news, these guys make top-notch stuff. Looking forward to it!
RocketBelt

Post by RocketBelt »

I've been very happy with a simple rgb amp mod and ossc line x3 mode.
Anyone who alraedy has an ossc and an n64 that can take the rgb amp could give that a try first, before spending a lot of money. Just sayin. I don't sell rgb amps or anything like that.
bahamutfan64

Post by bahamutfan64 »

Tim or Borti's RGB mods with the deblur options would be the better comparison. Looks excellent paired with an OSSC and an Extron DSC 301 HD for 960p in a 1080p frame.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

RocketBelt wrote:I've been very happy with a simple rgb amp mod and ossc line x3 mode.
Anyone who alraedy has an ossc and an n64 that can take the rgb amp could give that a try first, before spending a lot of money. Just sayin. I don't sell rgb amps or anything like that.
If you're starting from nothing, what you propose is just as expensive, if not moreso, than something like an N64 Digital.

If we assume the N64 Digital costs as much as the ~$150 UltraHDMI, then an OSSC with PSU and Remote costs just as much (about $150 based on VGP's current price at current exchange rates); then you need to spend at least $30 on the simple RGB amp or $60 to $110 for a more advanced RGB mod, then $20~$45 for a compatible SCART cable. (If you can't install either mod yourself, that's additional cost for installation services and shipping your console for either mod.)

For the N64 Digital, you might need a $10 MiniHDMI to full-size HDMI cable, and, if you decide you'll want to use analogue output, maybe a $20~$45 SCART or a potentially cheaper component cable, depending on which analogue options are ultimately made available.

You could save tens of dollars by buying an RT2X-SCART over an OSSC, and one option may make far more sense over another depending on what equipment you already have, and you could definitely argue that it's ultimately a lower cost overall if you intend to also use the OSSC or RT2X-whatever for other consoles; but there's not any kind of budgetary landslide in favor of the simple RGB mod.
RocketBelt

Post by RocketBelt »

nmalinoski wrote: If you're starting from nothing, what you propose is just as expensive, if not moreso, than something like an N64 Digital.
Yes that's an excellent analysis of the costs, however I did state
Anyone who already has an ossc
so for example they already use it with another console. I paid £15 for a simple rgb amp, and it's a straightforward install, and doesn't get in the way of installing an N64Digital later. And I was really happy with the results. It's just a suggestion for those who already have an ossc and can do the simple rgb amp mod.
I don't want to take anything away from N64Digital or UltraHDMI, I'm sure they look great, especially if you think N64 should have very sharp pixels.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

do people really exist who only play one single retro console and not all of them?
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

maxtherabbit wrote:do people really exist who only play one single retro console and not all of them?
Yes of course, the people that found their old Genesis in their parents' basement and just want to relive their childhood from 30 years ago. Or the people that bought the absurdly popular NES Mini. I'm not saying it's right, I"m just saying it's more popular than the minority that is Shmups.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

ldeveraux wrote:
maxtherabbit wrote:do people really exist who only play one single retro console and not all of them?
Yes of course, the people that found their old Genesis in their parents' basement and just want to relive their childhood from 30 years ago. Or the people that bought the absurdly popular NES Mini. I'm not saying it's right, I"m just saying it's more popular than the minority that is Shmups.
yeah of course - I guess what I meant was are there enthusiasts (who would be willing to pay for a premium video solution) which only care about one console
TooBeaucoup

Post by TooBeaucoup »

maxtherabbit wrote:
ldeveraux wrote:
yeah of course - I guess what I meant was are there enthusiasts (who would be willing to pay for a premium video solution) which only care about one console
I'd say that scenario would be much more rare. I have a ton of friends who loved gaming when we were teens and specifically, the N64, most of them still have their N64 and some games and play them. But, none of them would spend the money required for one of these kits and then to have it modded. They just hook it up via composite and are happy enough with it that way, despite being diehard fans still. Of course, there's outliers to this and probably a few people out there who'd go all of the way for a mod like this, but I definitely feel people like that are in the minority.
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

nmalinoski wrote:The PCB background on the pixelfx.co site caught my eye; does it have the same installation profile as the UltraHDMI? Could it be sort of a drop-in replacement (at least the PCB part) for those who have already cut their cases for an UltraHDMI?
I wanted the actual PCB to be mounted to the underside of the N64 so it could be no cut from the get go. But its impossible for both the analog and hdmi to plugged in at the same time. So we opted to match the previous mini hdmi location of the ultrahdmi. Existing no-cut/cut users can swap out if they want to. I haven't tested the no-cut riser yet as this might need some changes. Just trying to save consoles.

The flex cable is different and would need to be replaced.

Here is a more features and future plans for the project: https://www.pixelfx.co/content/roadmap.html
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

citrus3000psi wrote:Here is a more features and future plans for the project: https://www.pixelfx.co/content/roadmap.html
In addition to what's here, I'd like to see a deinterlace mode that inserts black lines for missing fields (effectively what the OSSC does to 480i with scanlines enabled); this effect looks far better to me than doubling the available field data.

Also, are there any details on the physical connection for IGR? Will it be a quick-disconnect wire, like what those of us who participated in the UltraHDMI group buy received?
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

nmalinoski wrote:
Also, are there any details on the physical connection for IGR? Will it be a quick-disconnect wire, like what those of us who participated in the UltraHDMI group buy received?
The IGR (controller & reset) are tied into the FFC, so there is no separate quick disconnect beyond the main FFC connection.
strayan

Post by strayan »

citrus3000psi wrote: Here is a more features and future plans for the project: https://www.pixelfx.co/content/roadmap.html
I have a plasma with a resolution of 1366x768. Can you offer 1280x720 in a 1366x768 frame?

Also: scanlines every third line would be aces!
chriz2600

Post by chriz2600 »

strayan wrote:I have a plasma with a resolution of 1366x768. Can you offer 1280x720 in a 1366x768 frame?
There are plans to allow user-defined output resolution in a future firmware update.
strayan

Post by strayan »

chriz2600 wrote:
strayan wrote:I have a plasma with a resolution of 1366x768. Can you offer 1280x720 in a 1366x768 frame?
There are plans to allow user-defined output resolution in a future firmware update.
Oh, oh my. Reduced blanking modes too?
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

strayan wrote:
citrus3000psi wrote: Here is a more features and future plans for the project: https://www.pixelfx.co/content/roadmap.html
I have a plasma with a resolution of 1366x768. Can you offer 1280x720 in a 1366x768 frame?

Also: scanlines every third line would be aces!
I don't think that will help you. Afaik the displays with that native resolution wont even accept it as an input resolution. They can only upscale 720p/480p or downscale 1080i to it
strayan

Post by strayan »

maxtherabbit wrote: Afaik the displays with that native resolution wont even accept it as an input resolution. They can only upscale 720p/480p or downscale 1080i to it
I have 3 TVs with a resolution of 1366x768. They all accept this resolution (one only in reduced blanking mode). There are certainty TVs that don’t. At the moment I use Ultrahdmi set to output 720p then a Crestron HD scaler to put the 720p signal in a 1366x768 frame. With scanlines every third line it looks amazing.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

strayan wrote:
maxtherabbit wrote: Afaik the displays with that native resolution wont even accept it as an input resolution. They can only upscale 720p/480p or downscale 1080i to it
I have 3 TVs with a resolution of 1366x768. They all accept this resolution (one only in reduced blanking mode). There are certainty TVs that don’t. At the moment I use Ultrahdmi set to output 720p then a Crestron HD scaler to put the 720p signal in a 1366x768 frame. With scanlines every third line it looks amazing.
neat, never worked on any TV I tried but glad you can do it
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

maxtherabbit wrote:
strayan wrote:
neat, never worked on any TV I tried but glad you can do it
I have a Samsung B360 panel from circa 2009 that has a 1366x768 panel, and my Xbox 360s will correct identify and automatically output at its native resolution. Would be nice if the N64 Digital had an Auto mode that could do something like that--automatically determine the connected display's native mode (Up to 1080p, or whatever its output limit is) and use it, either scaling or windowboxing.
The Zuck

Post by The Zuck »

This is very exciting. I just picked up an N64 so the timing is great. I'm also guessing this means the PS2 Digital will come in 2022 as this and the XBOX Digital seems like more of a priority for Dan for crew.
PULOVR

Post by PULOVR »

There are many posts about this new board in the Ultra pre-order thread, yet there is one question that I'm sure is on everyone's mind, and it's been asked numerous times on their Twitter page without a single response....

How much will the N64Digital sell for?

It's only two months away. It seems they have already a working board (or boards) from what they have mentioned so far on their Twitter page, so I'm sure they already have a good idea as to how much it will cost. :|
Last edited by PULOVR on Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

PULOVR wrote:There are many posts about this new board in the Ultra pre-order thread, yet there is one question that I'm sure is on everyone's mind, and it's been asked numerous times on their Twitter page without a single response....

How much will the N64Digital sell for?

It's only two months away. It seems they have already a working board (or boards) from what they have mentioned so far on their Twitter page, so I'm sure they already have a good idea as to how much it will cost. :|
Dan posted it in the UltraHDMI thread:
citrus3000psi wrote:The sale price will be 160. We actually lowered the hardware cost vs PS1D but the added DAC and filter pushed it right back up.