What [not shmup] game are you playing now?

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Steamflogger Boss

Re: What [not shmup] game are you playing now?

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

Sumez wrote:Banjo-Kazooie is a fun game
Is it? I played it in the last few years (I don't remember 100% when) and honestly it fucking blows. The quiz thing at the end is fucking AWFUL. I don't want to be writing down those answers...
Blinge wrote:
kitten wrote: it's british 'comedy' that is the equivalent of blowing a raspberry and slapping your own ass in the face of effort with a purpose and caring about what you're doing.
How to take this.. assume you don't know what you're talking about re: comedy?
See it as an attack on Britain? (that's a safe country to attack)
Don't get me started on American comedy lol, you guys are proud of Anchorman? of Dodgeball? give me a fucking break.

I'd get more into the game stuff now but I think Sumez's response will do.
Again, it's a dead 90's mascot platformer. I simply don't understand such a volatile reaction to it.
Did someone repeatedly bludgeon your skull with the cart? Did they put googley eyes on all your stuff?
British comedy >>>>> American comedy this is well known.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Steamflogger Boss wrote:
Blinge wrote: How to take this.. assume you don't know what you're talking about re: comedy?
See it as an attack on Britain? (that's a safe country to attack)
Don't get me started on American comedy lol, you guys are proud of Anchorman? of Dodgeball? give me a fucking break.

I'd get more into the game stuff now but I think Sumez's response will do.
Again, it's a dead 90's mascot platformer. I simply don't understand such a volatile reaction to it.
Did someone repeatedly bludgeon your skull with the cart? Did they put googley eyes on all your stuff?
British comedy >>>>> American comedy this is well known.
I *love* British comedy. Black Adder is one the funniest things I ever saw in my whole life. And Father Ted is pretty much a perfect show (Dreamy-Sleepy-Nighty-Snoozy-Snooze being my favorite bit).

But, c'mon, we got some good stuff over here. David Cross and company (Man Show, etc), Eric Andre, Tim and Eric. All that 80's standup (Eddie Murphy et al).

There's room for everyone's funny, more the better.

I'm doing my first ever play-through of Rondo Of Blood. It's totally handing my ass to me. I gotta admit, I find the controls a lot more ponderous than even the original trilogy. I'm going to stick with it though. It's a really great game, and I'm having fun with the hidden things. I found the first key by accident while running from that crazy demon bull that tries to ram you in the hallway.

Man oh man, the first two levels are basically a death march to start of the game.
Steamflogger Boss

Rondo is a truly amazing game. I don't recall disliking the controls but it's been a minute.

I'm starting on Persona 1. Oh boy this is um, something..
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Steamflogger Boss wrote: I'm starting on Persona 1. Oh boy this is um, something..
I never played any of the Persona games. It's a reach goal for me, but the prices on those have really gone up.
Rondo is a truly amazing game. I don't recall disliking the controls but it's been a minute.
Yeah, I really find the controls to be janky. At least for me, it seems like there is are issues with the character waiting to complete an action before starting a new one. Especially with changing direction or whipping. There's a good wait between all actions, and you don't move quickly back and forth. It's slow; you're slow, and you ponder around.

Also, I think it's crap that you have no invulnerability when you get hit. That's brutal. Though there is less knock-back, so I guess maybe that balances out a bit.
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

Steamflogger Boss wrote:Rondo is a truly amazing game. I don't recall disliking the controls but it's been a minute
I'm more of a Castlevania IV fan myself with its control fluidity, whip controls, and gentler difficulty, but I can't deny that Rondo's opening cutscene and music isn't one of the greatest ever made. When those drums come in and the main theme... oh man the hype levels go off the chart and it is absolute perfection.

Its a very, very good game. Presentation matters, and Rondo kicks so much ass in that department.
Steamflogger Boss

vol.2 wrote:
Steamflogger Boss wrote: I'm starting on Persona 1. Oh boy this is um, something..
I never played any of the Persona games. It's a reach goal for me, but the prices on those have really gone up.
Yeah, I really find the controls to be janky. At least for me, it seems like there is are issues with the character waiting to complete an action before starting a new one. Especially with changing direction or whipping. There's a good wait between all actions, and you don't move quickly back and forth. It's slow; you're slow, and you ponder around.

Also, I think it's crap that you have no invulnerability when you get hit. That's brutal. Though there is less knock-back, so I guess maybe that balances out a bit.
Yeah the price is really unfortunate. I can't honestly recommend buying it. I played the PS1 games many many years ago. In general I enjoy SMT, played Devil Summoner again last year, amazing game. Digital Devil Saga duo is one of my absolute favorite traditional jrpgs. I'd say start with P3. FES version should still be reasonably priced even sealed. You can see they have the same DNA but PS1/2 are pretty different from later entries.

Wish I could add more to the Rondo discussion but I'd have to fire it up again. Not the worst idea. I do recall it being a slow game.
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

Steamflogger Boss wrote:Rondo is a truly amazing game. I don't recall disliking the controls but it's been a minute.
If you ever get the chance, play the PSP remake, preferably on a Vita. I actually like it more than the original; that's part of the package as well, and switching back to it from the remake, it just felt kinda jank. Not because it's bad, but because the remake is that smooth. Best feeling walking animation ever.
I bought that back in the day, thinking it would be some cool dark thing. I was not ready for the cheapo SMT map screen (I'm used to it nowadays), but the wacky high school hijinks were really tough to swallow at the time. But ultimately I gave up because I got stuck in one of the dungeons & didn't seem to have any way to proceed. This was back during internet 1.0 so resources for this sort of thing were very limited.
Marc

Post by Marc »

I played through Banjo about a year ago. Enjoyed it for a while, got bored about halfway through, and fucked it right off at that quiz bit.
All of Rare's patforming attempts were dog-ugly, and not just 'for their time'. They reached their zenith with DK64, which really was 'here's some shit to collect, now fuck off'. Never understood the praise for Jet Force Gemini either, that was a terrible game, I don't remember anything redeeming about that one at all. I do keep meaning to restart Blast Corps again on the Xbox collection, but I'm sure I've forgotten just how rough and finicky certain aspects of that really were.

Going back to Mario 64 was a revelation, at least until at starts to get something like challenging, then you have to content with that camera. I'm enjoying Sunshine far more, though the missing long-jump is a grievous error, it's the key move that makes 64 feel so joyous to play.

I'll take a break from Mario after Sunshine, and start Galaxy later in the year. I've got 3D land ordered as well, even though that will be behind Galaxy in the queue. Oh, I've still got the Luigi levels from SMBD as well.

I can't get Rondo to work on my PSP (ISO obv), it's the one file that just boots to an error screen. Bummer, I enjoyed playing it through on PS4 and would have liked to try the remake.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Steamflogger Boss wrote:I'm starting on Persona 1. Oh boy this is um, something..
Haha! Which other Personas you played? I've done 1,3,4.

I hope you're playing on PSP and not the dogshit psx localisation. What I did was play with the psp soundtrack then use the psx soundtrack when doing a second playthrough for the snow-queen route, which is more or less a separate game.

Okay, i'm gonna write this spoiler free but tag it just in case. It's about a decision in the main route. If you choose wrong, you fuck yourself out of the true ending and TLB, and it takes effect some TWO HOURS later. So I'd rotated over my save by the time I reached the end. :cry:
You have to give correct answers in the Gingerbread house.
Spoiler
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

sigh. defense force, at attention.
To Far Away Times wrote:You even jump through paintings to get into levels.
Memory file corrupted? You do not jump through paintings to get into levels in BK.

People really hate the quiz thing huh? I don't know what it's like to play the quiz as a time-poor adult. I experienced that as a child with a sponge-like memory after playing at my leisure for months prior. I think i knew almost all the answers. I''' have to replay it soon. Hopefully such useless information isn't still stored in my noggin.
Steamflog wrote:British comedy >>>>> American comedy this is well known.
Eh I don't have much of a preference. I like Frasier and Always Sunny.. and I suppose Tim and Eric..
The greats of British comedy do seem to be firmly in the past now, but maybe it seems that way because i don't watch TV any more. Peep show was okay until it wasn't.
Enough Brits here seem to enjoy Anchorman though, which still utterly, utterly baffles me.
Marc wrote:They reached their zenith with DK64, which really was 'here's some shit to collect, now fuck off'.
DK64 is much derided as the worst 3D platformer Rare ever made.

Idk, youze seem to forget the BK was made for children, or at least don't factor that into spergy analysis.
And the complaint that BK is just about collecting things for no reason. Well - you don't need to collect everything, do you? Pretty sure you can reach the end of the game with a decent chunk of jiggies and notes never touched.
Steamflogger Boss

Sengoku Strider wrote:
Steamflogger Boss wrote:Rondo is a truly amazing game. I don't recall disliking the controls but it's been a minute.
If you ever get the chance, play the PSP remake, preferably on a Vita. I actually like it more than the original; that's part of the package as well, and switching back to it from the remake, it just felt kinda jank. Not because it's bad, but because the remake is that smooth. Best feeling walking animation ever.
I bought that back in the day, thinking it would be some cool dark thing. I was not ready for the cheapo SMT map screen (I'm used to it nowadays), but the wacky high school hijinks were really tough to swallow at the time. But ultimately I gave up because I got stuck in one of the dungeons & didn't seem to have any way to proceed. This was back during internet 1.0 so resources for this sort of thing were very limited.
Noted! I have that PSP game but have never really played with it much because I have the original Rondo and SOTN available.

Yeah no kidding. Gamefaqs has basically killed the guide industry.
Blinge wrote:
Steamflogger Boss wrote:I'm starting on Persona 1. Oh boy this is um, something..
Haha! Which other Personas you played? I've done 1,3,4.

I hope you're playing on PSP and not the dogshit psx localisation. What I did was play with the psp soundtrack then use the psx soundtrack when doing a second playthrough for the snow-queen route, which is more or less a separate game.

Okay, i'm gonna write this spoiler free but tag it just in case. It's about a decision in the main route. If you choose wrong, you fuck yourself out of the true ending and TLB, and it takes effect some TWO HOURS later. So I'd rotated over my save by the time I reached the end. :cry:
You have to give correct answers in the Gingerbread house.
Spoiler
PS1 version for the lols mate. And yeah, the localization is fucking dog shit. I know the SQ route was cut from this as well. PSP is strictly superior but fuck I want to experience this shitty piece in Atlus' history.

I've beat 3/4 for sure. I played a lot of 2, probably beat it but it was so long ago I am not 100% sure.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Wrapped up a run of the GB version of Final Fantasy Legend without spending any money or visiting any shops (aside from one forced plot instance). Came close at the end to botching it as my remaining uses of healing spells from the one Cure Book given out for free were stretched damn thin, but it worked out nicely! Infodump's here.
Mortificator

Post by Mortificator »

Was going through some folders and found a fun doujin vert called HyperCharger. I think one of you guys made it, but fuck if I can remember who. :oops:
BareKnuckleRoo wrote:Wrapped up a run of the GB version of Final Fantasy Legend without spending any money or visiting any shops (aside from one forced plot instance). Came close at the end to botching it as my remaining uses of healing spells from the one Cure Book given out for free were stretched damn thin, but it worked out nicely! Infodump's here.
Nice. I haven't done any challenge runs, but SaGa 1's a favorite of mine.
Steamflogger Boss wrote:Gamefaqs has basically killed the guide industry.
I think YouTube is killing the text guide, so what goes around...
RegalSin wrote:You can't even drive across the country Naked anymore
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:Wrapped up a run of the GB version of Final Fantasy Legend without spending any money or visiting any shops (aside from one forced plot instance). Came close at the end to botching it as my remaining uses of healing spells from the one Cure Book given out for free were stretched damn thin, but it worked out nicely! Infodump's here.
Man i found just playing through normally to be like pulling teeth so i have no idea how you had the patience for this!

re: Banjo. No one's mentioned Click Clock wood. The final level that changes according to the four seasons, with its little characters
going through progressions. The bee-hive. The treehouse eventually being finished in winter. Doing stuff like feeding the baby bird as it grows until it flies away full-grown and rewards you.
You can't tell me that was designed without love and effort.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

The game's really not that bad; the more Mutants you have, the easier things are as Mutants have absurdly fast, linear growth throughout the game, and have access to inexpensive spellbooks which are by far the best means of killing stuff. They also don't hit a 600 HP ceiling that Humans do, due to a complete lack of HP boosting items above 600 HP (so if you want more than that, have fun increasing it 1 HP at a time, ick). Humans are awful to raise in the endgame though; they have the worst HP in the game unless you go through the tedious process of raising it.

The main trouble was figuring out what weapons would be useful against the serious three bosses of the game, since two of them have full element resistance. The final boss has an astronomical 200 Def and O-All, meaning vastly reduced melee damage and half melee damage on top of that. The only stuff that works reliably are special weapons which ignore defenses and I didn't want to rely on the Glass Sword (which for some reason has a ridiculous 50 uses instead of the 1 use in the JP version), but the discovery that the Psi weapons which factor Mana as their damage (P-Knife, P-Sword, Vampic) all ignore Weapon resistance meant that they're actually very hard hitting even against targets that'd normally halve melee damage, and give you very decent damage during the final boss!

---

Now to do this with the second game! Current writeups will go in spoiler tags so as not to literally fill the thread.
Spoiler
(also crossposted here: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/58 ... i/79282394

Since I wrapped up this challenge on the first game (see link here: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/56 ... d/79239950) it's time to do this on the second one! I actually had a save file in progress on an actual cart once that got accidentally overwritten, so I've previously made it to the start of Venus's world on this challenge run. We're gonna finish it this time for sure.

The challenge is to beat the game without ever spending any gold or visiting the Inn or any shops, aside from one gold that's needed for plot reasons. We're not even going to allow visiting the Inn at 0 GP; we're a team of insomniacs!

Because Humans in this game can actually gain stats naturally, and don't gain access to powerful natural spellcasting or passive resistances, this makes a team of 4 Male Humans the hardest realistically possible team to do this with. Male Humans start with Long Swords (ick) and less Agl and Mana, more valuable (and harder to raise) stats to us in the long run, so Males are worse off than Females, who have only slightly less HP to start, which is relatively easy to increase. Mutants would be easier due to their access to passive abilities they can save up (even without allowing any use of Inns ever for recharging they'd be better than Humans). Monsters would be doable but annoying; you'd be forced to eat meat to recharge abilities. Robots would be capable of tanking an recovering their own health, as well as getting decent access to damage by piling on similar equipment (only half the uses though, but it'd still be more than manageable). You could also abuse Robots with the martial arts glitch to make them nearly unstoppable.

So, away our team of 4 humans goes, to beat the game without getting any sleep and spending only a single GP! Fortunately, the second FFL/SaGa game doesn't require repeatedly killing and rerecruiting a single character in order to farm items early on, making the early game easier than it is in the first game. We also automatically revive from fights at 1 HP if killed, meaning petrification is much more dangerous to us than death is, and we also can get items dropped by enemies, allowing us a wider range of equipment to use in general throughout the game. However, the second game is still much harder to do a no shops challenge, namely because of the challenges we'll face later on, and the much slower growth rates characters have in general.

You also start FFL2 with a much better chance of running from encounters; you're pretty much guaranteed to escape when you run from any early fight. This means we can maximize our chances of stat gains and equipment drops by running from anything that isn't a single Gang or Asigaru, and ignoring everything else. We actively want to fight humanoid and robotic enemies that can drop equipment for us whenever possible, especially spellcaster types despite how dangerous they are, since they're the main way we'll be able to use any spells and we'll need to build up Mana for later on in the game for the sake of healing spells. Our very high success rate when running currently means that after we grab the stuff in the cave (Bronze Shield, Bow, Hammer) and use Mr. S to oneshot the minor boss, we're free to hang out near the shrine of Isis getting free healing from Ki while we hunt for the following equipment:

• Punch (from Gang): Starts off dealing no damage, rapidly deals far more damage than Long Swords. Becomes very powerful from 70 uses onward, this'll be my primary means of offense for the early game, with single use remaining Punches being ideal boss killing material. It's also an important way of building Agility, our most important stat, used to run from scary stuff.

• Long Swords (from Asigaru): Fairly pathetic damage per Strength point. Still, until we get the Masamune or the Excalibur, it'll be the primary way we have of levelling up Str. However, Punch will beat out its damage easily; there won't be any real reason to use Long Swords in serious fights unless we manage to have a ton of Str.

Enemies actually have a very decent chance of dropping items. If I had to estimate, the chance of an item being dropped is somewhere between 1/8 and 1/4? I think I recall a previous thread with formulae that put the chance of an item or meat drop at about 20%. This means that without much trouble, we're able to very quickly acquire multiple Long Swords and Punches, all while slowly gaining stats. Our next goal is to make sure each character has a Punch that's at 50 uses or less, so they have a primary attack for serious encounters. Long Swords will never be useful as the stats you'd need for them to hit for 150 damage would be incredibly high, whereas Punch, despite dealing no damage to begin with, very quickly is capable of outputting lots of hits. It's basically a weapon where the first few uses are worthless but the rest are very valuable! One human had lucky Str gains but even at 9 was still hitting for 40s with a Long sword, 3 times less damage than Punch could at around 50 uses! I generally dislike Str weapons in this game and find that martial arts as well as projectiles both tend to be better, and more reliable means of attacking, and they don't rely on slow stat gains for damage. Their accuracy also isn't stat dependent like standard melee weapons are, which helps for the more evasive bosses whose high Agl makes it difficult to land a hit.

After a bit of grinding, here's where we're at:

Hum1: 79 HP, 6 Str, 7 Agl, Long Sword (34), Punch (50), Bronze Shield (50), Bronze Armor
Hum2: 97 HP, 8 Str, 7 Agl, Long Sword (50), Long Sword (17), Cure Potion (4), Bronze Armor
Hum3: 123 HP, 6 Str, 9 Agl, Long Sword (38), Long Sword (50), Punch (50), Cure Potion (4), Bronze Armor
Hum4: 158 HP, 9 Str, 6 Agl, Long Sword (50), Long Sword (43), Hammer (32), Punch (50), Bronze Armor

All have 3 Mana. They also all have 3 Def due to the Bronze Armor they start with. Using the Bronze Shield to try and gain more is an option... but it's frankly unlikely to work, especially at this point. For some reason, the characters who started in the back happen to have gained more HP, so we've swapped 'em around.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Yeah someone can't stop playing WL 3. Guess who?

Approaching 130 hours, about 60% through the game (this time - started this play at 100 hours). Once again making different choices and still finding an occasional new mission.

Really didn't put too many points into luck and speed my other plays, this time I am. And while high speed is nice to have high luck is insane with all the extra shit you get when it hits.
My lord, I have come for you.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Prince of Persia: Sands of Time

Not my first time through it, but it's been many years. It's still a great game, but I do find the controls to be outdated and clunky; swinging on bars is especially annoying. Also, bad guys take too many hits to kill and combat is monotonous. Taken as a whole, and viewed in it's historical moment, it's fantastic, but there are definitely some aspects that haven't aged well.
Searchlike

Post by Searchlike »

vol.2 wrote:Prince of Persia: Sands of Time

Not my first time through it, but it's been many years. It's still a great game, but I do find the controls to be outdated and clunky; swinging on bars is especially annoying. Also, bad guys take too many hits to kill and combat is monotonous. Taken as a whole, and viewed in it's historical moment, it's fantastic, but there are definitely some aspects that haven't aged well.
I'm fond of the sequel, Warrior Within, what little I've played of it. The combat has a bit of a 3D character action (ok, let's use that name) vibe to it. I wouldn't mind beating that one.
To Far Away Times

vol.2 wrote:Prince of Persia: Sands of Time

I love Sands of Time. I've played through it several times. Sublime platorming and the rewind mechanic was inspired too. One of the best games of its era, no doubt.
Searchlike

Post by Searchlike »

That is the one mechanic I remain ambivalent about. It was relieving to be able to turn back time in Mechner's Last Express, but in these games, I don't know. Again, I have to go back to WW and maybe, SoT.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

To Far Away Times wrote:Sublime platorming and the rewind mechanic was inspired too.
The rewind mechanic is really cool. It adds that extra layer of complexity that puts the game over the top.

Searchlike wrote: I'm fond of the sequel, Warrior Within
I haven't played that one. I understand it's not really a proper sequel to SOT, but more of a reboot game that focuses on combat rather than story, and has a whole different aesthetic, etc.

It sounds good on it's own, but I have a hunch that it wouldn't scratch an itch for more SOT.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I loved Warrior Within when it came out.

It is actually a direct sequel, and it does have a lot of story. But the tone was changed to some cringey edgelord style, which was met with a pretty disappointed reception at the time, due to how right they got the tone of its predecessor. And unfortunately it caused a lot of people to overlook how good the game was.

I wouldn't say it "focuses on combat". It probably does have quite a bit more combat, but overall that combat also works better. It is designed so that the prince's acrobatics now plays a big role in it. The game's primary focus is still on maneuvring through the areas, in completely the same manner of Sands of Time, with a few new moves and stuff thrown into the mix as well of course.
But rather than a string of setpieces thrown together linearly, Warrior Within is set in a much more interconnected world. It's not quite a "metroidvania", but think something like the castle from Ico, where the overall layout just makes a bit more sense. I think the game really benefits from it.
IIRC you can backtrack to large parts of the map too, but I'm not sure if it is ever encouraged.
Marc

Post by Marc »

I'm getting a real PoP vibe from Jedi: Fallen Order, which I'm still rather enjoying.
Apart from the parrying, it's not sharp enough, definitely no Souls.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

You guys talking up Prince of Persia should check out Ghostrunner.

Despite its first-person perspective I feel it evokes that R2RKMF Ninja Gaiden vibe that Cyber Shadow and The Messenger failed to recreate.

It's my 2020 GOTY (admittedly the field was pretty sparse).
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
Sengoku Strider

I got sucked into playing through Shining Force again (I played through it back when on the Dreamcast Smash Pack). It really does hold up, the gameplay is still quite addictive. Wow is the inventory management clunky though. Your character can hold 4 items, including their equipped weapon, and that's it. Theres no party inventory, so if you're in a room with 4-6 chests, you have to manually transfer whatever you're already holding to other characters who hopefully have open slots. One item at a time, because once you transfer it, the menu closes and you have to navigate back 4 through menu options each time.
null1024

Post by null1024 »

Been playing bunch of assorted things [many of them shmups, so not for this thread :lol: ], but I decided to start MegaMan Legends [PS1].

Not terribly far in at all, just reached the town. The game is wonderfully stylish, but the controls are really clunky. A lot of it is for no reason -- the awful turning speed when at a standstill is really annoying in particular.
Still, I think I'll keep at it.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
To Far Away Times

vol.2 wrote:
To Far Away Times wrote: Now on to the bad.
The way I understand it, 6 takes all those things you mentioned disliking and turns it into the focus of the game. Like, you would have expected them to just fix all that stuff, but that was actually a hint of things to come and not a flaw for them.

But I've been avoiding it, so I'll be interested to hear your evaluation.
Thanks. I finished up RE6 tonight. Back when the game came out I played through Leon's campaign in co-op, got the credit roll and didn't touch it again. I thought it was okay, but the hate was overblown. Fast forward 8 years and over the last week I've played through the other three campaigns.

This game is so uneven. Parts of this game have a lot of effort thrown in and then you'll see some real sloppiness. There's a lot of cut and paste level design and sometimes it feels like there aren't enough art assets for the environments. This is very apparent on the first level of Chris' campaign. The other big flaw is poor design mixed with more "Gotcha!" moments. I died quite a bit, never loosing much progress, but I was killed frequently from missing QTEs, or a poorly explained scenario. Jake's campaign has a "Crash Bandicoot" section where you run away from a tank and run towards the camera. The camera swings just before gameplay starts, and you need to be holding the correct direction immediately or you are instant killed. You really don't see this lack of polish in these huge budget games very often. Otherwise this game lacks conventional challenge, always pushes you forward through so-so content, and is just kinda ho hum.

Also, the partner AI takes a huge step back from RE5. I thought RE5 was really impressive in that aspect, here, not so much. They give your partner unlimited ammo and health (presumably since the AI isn't up to the task), but all your partner really does is flip switches when asked. Also, for some reason they changed the aiming laser to a small dot, which is much harder to see.

Also, despite having 4 campaigns, they don't really come together and expand an overarching story in a meaningful way.

This game feels like a case of "Fuck it, just ship it out."

4/10.
Volteccer_Jack

Post by Volteccer_Jack »

To Far Away Times wrote:Also, for some reason they changed the aiming laser to a small dot, which is much harder to see.
You can switch to the RE4/5 aiming style in the options somewhere. I think the RE6 default is meant to make it easier to shoot targets at close range (which is rather wonky with the RE4/5 laser sight)
"Don't worry about quality. I've got quantity!"
Marc

Post by Marc »

Played half of Stories Untold last night. An 'interactive fiction' spliced with a rudimentary text adventure. It's actually a little creepy, and though not normally my bag, the first two episodes were an hour and a half well spent in bed.

This is why I love the Switch eShop, think I paid around £1.50 for this. It's encouraging me to try a lot of stuff that might have passed me by, though I'm not sure how long the 120 or so outstanding games might take me to get through.
Sengoku Strider

Marc wrote:Played half of Stories Untold last night. An 'interactive fiction' spliced with a rudimentary text adventure. It's actually a little creepy, and though not normally my bag, the first two episodes were an hour and a half well spent in bed.

This is why I love the Switch eShop, think I paid around £1.50 for this. It's encouraging me to try a lot of stuff that might have passed me by, though I'm not sure how long the 120 or so outstanding games might take me to get through.
I was looking at my Switch collection the other day...if you break out the compilations into individual games (and why wouldn't you?), I have 150 games, give or take one or two. I only bought this system in December 2019.

But I only had the Lite, I didn't even get the full Switch and start collection in earnest until April 2020. This is definitely a personal record. Fantastic little system, my poor PS4 has been quite neglected ever since I got it. It's been pretty much relegated to media playback duties (it's a JP model which comes in handy), the one thing the Switch doesn't really do much of. As I type this the PS4's not even plugged in, it's on sitting on the floor forlornly beside me.

It might well be an inevitability that I hit 200 Switch games in 2021.