B&O MX4/6/7000 - troubleshooting and general information

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Cobrahhh

Re: B&O MX4/6/7000 - troubleshooting and general information

Post by Cobrahhh »

Hi,

Last week I purchased a mx7000 with sw 4.3. After a lot of fiddeling I got the picture settings how I want them.

I've been playing n64, gamecube and laserdisc on it. Works great!
The only problem I have is that I can't change mono to stereo for any device. It's stays on mono. I have the beo4 remote and when I select sound en press go serveral times, but it just tells me its mono. They are all connect through scart.

Both speakers sides are working, but how do I set them up to work in stereo?
Moosey

Post by Moosey »

Longtime lurker here,
I bought a Mx4002 with sw 2.0 just over a year ago for my game room and this thread has proved invaluable.
To access the service menu I installed a spare arcade push button on top of the set.

Also I found that the deinterlacing mode works on my model by simply highlighting shift on the remote and pressing 7.

Thanks for the info everybody.
Balleratt

Post by Balleratt »

I have obtained a MX8000 and I have done a quick G2 adjustment, it seemingly were set too low judging from B&O G2 calibration screen. Just a tiny adjustment and the standby light went from yellow to green =) All good!

I've read that many prefer to disable the SVM (B&O VisionClear sharpness stuff), since it might bring a bit "too much" sharpness to the image, especially for 2D games. I tend to agree judging from a quick and dirty comparison with my MX7000. Disabling it on the MX8000 did make for a softer image more like the MX7000...HOWEVER! I also noticed that my MX7000 is significantly sharper vs the MX8000 (SVM deactivated) . And I don't think any calibration can make it on-par with the MX7000 sharpness, well as long as the SVM cable is detached that is.

Anyone experienced the same thing comparing the two sets?
Cobrahhh

Post by Cobrahhh »

I have a small question. Can I get s-video out of a scart port with a s-video adaptor? Or do I need to use the s-vhs port?

I have two devices who both use s-video for the video signal. Would be nice if I didn't have to change the cables all the time.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

only if the device in question has a switch. S-video through scart uses the composite video pin for luma and the red pin (from RGB) for chroma. This means that a scart port can't output composite video and s-video at the same time.
Cobrahhh

Post by Cobrahhh »

I didn't mean it like that. Can the scart port on the mx7000 receive s-video from a s-video cable with a s-video to scart adapter?
kamiboy

Post by kamiboy »

Most likely one of the two SCART ports can accept S-video viable those standard SCART adapters. This is the case with my Beovision 1 and MX 4000.
flex

Post by flex »

Balleratt wrote:I have obtained a MX8000 and I have done a quick G2 adjustment, it seemingly were set too low judging from B&O G2 calibration screen. Just a tiny adjustment and the standby light went from yellow to green =) All good!

I've read that many prefer to disable the SVM (B&O VisionClear sharpness stuff), since it might bring a bit "too much" sharpness to the image, especially for 2D games. I tend to agree judging from a quick and dirty comparison with my MX7000. Disabling it on the MX8000 did make for a softer image more like the MX7000...HOWEVER! I also noticed that my MX7000 is significantly sharper vs the MX8000 (SVM deactivated) . And I don't think any calibration can make it on-par with the MX7000 sharpness, well as long as the SVM cable is detached that is.

I would say the opposite is true on mine, the MX8000 set has a sharper image than my MX7000 even with the SVM cable detached. Did you hppen to watch my youtube video about it by any chance?
Balleratt

Post by Balleratt »

flex wrote:
Balleratt wrote:I have obtained a MX8000 and I have done a quick G2 adjustment, it seemingly were set too low judging from B&O G2 calibration screen. Just a tiny adjustment and the standby light went from yellow to green =) All good!

I would say the opposite is true on mine, the MX8000 set has a sharper image than my MX7000 even with the SVM cable detached. Did you hppen to watch my youtube video about it by any chance?
Retro Flex? I sure did ;)

I am honestly shocked how great the image is on my old MX 7000, if I remember correctly it was manufactured way back on 93/94. It might have seen little use, or the MX 8000 did see an excessive amount of use lol. I don't know. I have managed to get my hands on a second MX 7000 unit last week, sofware 4.5 and it was manufactured in 2000. However... the anode cap cable seems to have seen better days. I will need to try and fix that before I take my chances on getting it up to speed picture wise!

Suddenly I have way more CRT's.....3 B&O's, three working Sony Trinitrons (managed to bring my parents 99-model 29X5e back to life) and a small Philips I will need to inspect further. I will need to re-arrange my retro space and try and set up a few TV's and narrow them down to which console fits what lol.

Out of curiosity, what are your settings under the picture menu when in the service menu?
tommy12

Post by tommy12 »

Hi all,
I'm a complete novice with CRTs and have just got a MX4000, but can't seem to get a clear picture. Lines/edges seem to have a wavey/flickering.
Just wondering if anyone here would know whats up, some footage:
https://youtu.be/wTT--M2EzNU
Even the built in TV menu seems to have the same effect if you look closely. Have tried NTSC and PAL resolutions via a raspberry pi plugged into the scart port, but same problem on both.
Many thanks.
jonnyapps

Post by jonnyapps »

Just picked up an MX7000 and it has terrible geometry, like looking at it under rippling water (both horizontal and vertical scrolling tests show distortion like a fisheye lens).

Can anyone point me in the right direction to a solution? Not afraid to change the capacitors if that's the answer, but will need to research some specific guidance as I haven't done it before.

Thanks in advance.
flex

Post by flex »

Balleratt wrote:
flex wrote:

Retro Flex? I sure did ;)

I am honestly shocked how great the image is on my old MX 7000, if I remember correctly it was manufactured way back on 93/94. It might have seen little use, or the MX 8000 did see an excessive amount of use lol. I don't know. I have managed to get my hands on a second MX 7000 unit last week, sofware 4.5 and it was manufactured in 2000. However... the anode cap cable seems to have seen better days. I will need to try and fix that before I take my chances on getting it up to speed picture wise!

Suddenly I have way more CRT's.....3 B&O's, three working Sony Trinitrons (managed to bring my parents 99-model 29X5e back to life) and a small Philips I will need to inspect further. I will need to re-arrange my retro space and try and set up a few TV's and narrow them down to which console fits what lol.

Out of curiosity, what are your settings under the picture menu when in the service menu?
Yep thats me :) Nice one. Yeah it can become a dangerous hobby for some lol. I dont have the room currently otherwise I am sure I would have more!

Current picture settings are as follows...

Offsets Regulation:
Brightness 19
Colour 7
Contrast 25

R-DR 25
G-DR 25
B-DR 36
Black Offset R 0
Black Offset G 0
Soft Clip 0
PWL 10
Balleratt

Post by Balleratt »

Golden mate! Seems like we had near identical settings dialed in! I have been going trough all my CRT's lately and sorting them out, yesterday I hooked up my oldest MX7000 vs the MX8000 again after finetuning both of them. NOW I got the results I expected, overall sharpness on the MX8000 is indeed better than the 7000, WITH the SVM cable detached! I'm still more fan of the speakers on the 7000 though to be honest. I'm also am happy to report that the latest MX7000 pickup I did a few weeks back seems to be doing OK! I fixed the arching fram the flyback transformer, and it seems to be in a good shape now! Need to clean the contrast screen, since there's a lot of soot and grime on the inside. It's hard to tune in the sharpness and contrast with a literally BLUR-filter attached :lol: Geometry holds up well vs my other B&O's.
fillilutten

Post by fillilutten »

Ji-L87 wrote:Okay so I picked up a B&O last month or so :o

I've always loved the look of them but also heard some horror stories.
Anyway, it looks great:

But the settings and the way the menu works is quite a pain I have to admit.
Although geometry still isn't perfect it's up and running now. However I've encountered an odd issue that I thought I'd ask you guys about:

Input V-Tape
What happens when I press menu

Again, V-tape mode
...with the menu open

When using AV 1 as V-Tape (with Decoder turned on in the various settings) the image is sharp albeit a bit dark.
But when I press menu to access the color settings, the whole screen shifts a step or two to the right and gets much brighter/saturated.
The image quality also goes down the drain.

When I first got this TV I managed to get the picture from the AV inputs to show up in TV-mode after tinkering with the tuning and decoder settings.
This made it possible to alter the geometry in the service menu while actually looking at the game. However, just like pressing menu in V-tape, the picture in TV mode would sometimes be this darker but sharper image, or sometimes get stuck in that brighter but funky looking mode.

Any ideas as to why this happens?

I got this problem too. But not exactly the same result in my eyes. The image gets brighter and much more colorful, when playing on v-tape it looks extremely saturated and when using a-tape (but no sound) I get a picture thats much more colorful (but too much) and an sharper picture. I'm running a wii with the rgc RGB scart. Any idea how to solve this?
TrendyNinja

Post by TrendyNinja »

Well after picking up an MX4000 last week with SW version 4.7 I have to say I'm bitterly disappointed. I'm not too sure as to where the hype for these TV's came from but imo (for what it's worth) I really think the picture quality on these sets are poor. The colour and brightness when using scart is incredibly washed out and dull. I accept that the colour can't be changed on this TV via the menu but never did I think it would be this bad. Flicking back to composite and the picture (albeit not at all sharp) is infinitely superior with vibrant colours and a bright picture which is exactly what I was expecting to get when using scart. I really should have gone for a Sony Trinitron, I never recall feeling like this about a CRT when I had a Trinitron 10 years back.

I'm was thinking of trying s-video but in B&O's logic the set has no audio inputs at the rear....seriously? What's the point in having a s-video input then? I guess I'll have to try a scart adapter.

Anyway I reckon I'll be putting this up on ebay soon as I just don't think this is the CRT TV for me.
H6rdc0re

Post by H6rdc0re »

TrendyNinja wrote:Well after picking up an MX4000 last week with SW version 4.7 I have to say I'm bitterly disappointed. I'm not too sure as to where the hype for these TV's came from but imo (for what it's worth) I really think the picture quality on these sets are poor. The colour and brightness when using scart is incredibly washed out and dull. I accept that the colour can't be changed on this TV via the menu but never did I think it would be this bad. Flicking back to composite and the picture (albeit not at all sharp) is infinitely superior with vibrant colours and a bright picture which is exactly what I was expecting to get when using scart. I really should have gone for a Sony Trinitron, I never recall feeling like this about a CRT when I had a Trinitron 10 years back.

I'm was thinking of trying s-video but in B&O's logic the set has no audio inputs at the rear....seriously? What's the point in having a s-video input then? I guess I'll have to try a scart adapter.

Anyway I reckon I'll be putting this up on ebay soon as I just don't think this is the CRT TV for me.
Apart from BVMs and PVMs I have never seen a consumer TV with better picture quality than my MX7000. Tried multiple Sony Trinitrons and even Wegas. Sounds to me like your picture settings are bad.
TrendyNinja

Post by TrendyNinja »

H6rdc0re wrote:Apart from BVMs and PVMs I have never seen a consumer TV with better picture quality than my MX7000. Tried multiple Sony Trinitrons and even Wegas. Sounds to me like your picture settings are bad.
Yes and I've had a Sony Trinitron previously which blew this B&O MX4000 away with it's picture quality. I guess you just didn't have your picture settings right for the Trinitrons when you tried using them did you? :roll:

If I can't adjust the colour on this set using scart then no amount of tweaking the settings is going to improve that. Trust me, when using scart the colours are crap.
Balleratt

Post by Balleratt »

TrendyNinja wrote:
H6rdc0re wrote:Apart from BVMs and PVMs I have never seen a consumer TV with better picture quality than my MX7000. Tried multiple Sony Trinitrons and even Wegas. Sounds to me like your picture settings are bad.
Yes and I've had a Sony Trinitron previously which blew this B&O MX4000 away with it's picture quality. I guess you just didn't have your picture settings right for the Trinitrons when you tried using them did you? :roll:

If I can't adjust the colour on this set using scart then no amount of tweaking the settings is going to improve that. Trust me, when using scart the colours are crap.
Did you try entering the service menu and calibrate the image using 240p test suite?
TrendyNinja

Post by TrendyNinja »

Balleratt wrote:
TrendyNinja wrote:

Did you try entering the service menu and calibrate the image using 240p test suite?
Yes I've been into the service menu which is predominantly more for the geometry settings. You can adjust the RDR,GDR,RCU & GCU levels but this doesn't help that much, it has made the picture a bit brighter. Adjusting the COL level will only make a difference for composite. The 240p test suite I've not touched but again I thought that was more for the geometry of the tv and checking the colour levels won't make a difference using the 240p suite unless I want to run everything with composite.

Buy hey if I've missed or not understood something and you have any suggestions I'm all ears and would be very grateful!
H6rdc0re

Post by H6rdc0re »

TrendyNinja wrote:

Could you post a picture using Scart? What console are you using and with what Scart cable? Are you using a RGB Scart cable? You could try changing contrast and brilliance settings. The 240P test suite also has some colour bars which you can use to tweak picture settings.
DarkSparkish

Post by DarkSparkish »

Hello! So I'm new to this forum, and also pretty new to the world of B&O CRT TVs. I have a B&O MX6000 (which currently doesn't turn on or shows its red standby light, possibly due to bad solders on my end from an attempt to fixing an issue where it turns itself off by random) and very recently got an ME6000. The ME6000 turns on at least, though its geometry is completely out of whack, as its corners stretch out far beyond the overscan area, and is squeezed into a 16:9 image regardless if it's RGB or in the TV-mode screen.

What I want to do is to have full access to the TV itself, and especially get to the PSU so I can maybe replace some potentially bad caps. Are there any good guides out there that go in-depth on how to disassemble these TVs? Or is it possible to get advice on how I at least can disassemble the TV down to the PSU so I can start replacing caps on it and such?

Here's a link to an image from a post I've put out of it on Reddit for those that want to see what I'm talking about: https://i.redd.it/jgk9majj81371.jpg
Nica17

Post by Nica17 »

Hello, i have a problem with my MX7000. Suddenly the V Tape Button on beo4 have stopped working. It doesnt switch anymore to AV. I played already with the sockets settings but no luck. Have somone an idea. Thank you. :roll:
Balleratt

Post by Balleratt »

For future reference, and new B&O owners looking for info regarding the service menu on old SW sets:

I helped this guy out on how to do the service pin switch mod on his SW 1.1 MX6000 , and he posted a nice step by step video on the process:

Bang & Olufsen MX6000 Service Menu Mod!

https://youtu.be/jx9llwQ5RDM
Xileize

Post by Xileize »

Hey All,

I'm hoping someone will be able to give me a hand with the geometry on my TV. I recently picked it up and it's mostly fine, except the top horizontal axis is slanted, and I'm struggling to work out the correct combination of things to use in the service menu to straighten it out. It's not really noticeable in general usage, I only really notice if I'm in a menu with an obvious border or text along the top that's clearly misaligned etc.

Here's a pic of the offender:

The image was taken using the 240p Suite for SNES, in the 256x224 resolution mode.

Here is also my current settings for reference:

Brilliance 54
Colour 62
Contrast 41

Rdr 36
Gdr 39
Rcu 33
Gcu 15
BRI 03
COL 03
Hfq 26
Hph 55
Ham 22
Vam 30
Vsc 31
Vsh 20
Vli 20
EWc 16
EWp 20
EWt 48

I know it's quite difficult to assist over the internet, but any advice would be greatly appreciated, this kind of tinkering is new to me!
thegreathopper

Post by thegreathopper »

When I had has this exact same problem with a brand new Hantarex Polostar I took it back to Hantarex, the guy put it on the bench with the monitor facing a mirror. He then loosened the yoke twisted until level and gave it back to me.

Was then perfect, not sure if this can be done on a B&O, strangely I have the same issue on a MX4000, I overscan slightly and now do not notice.
Fight war not wars
peshti

Post by peshti »

So I got a problem with my Bang Olufsen MX4200. It seems like these consumer sets have sync issues so the left side get's cut off in RGB.
Is there any solution to this?

Also can someone please post their geometry values?

I think I have messed with some values that should be standard and that I didn't recognize from my mx7000.

Thanks Peshtiwar

Undernath you can find a text from discord where I describe my issue.

I own a mx7000 by the way and I have made the geometry there pretty good. But when I fiddled with my mx4200 I didn't write anything down, since well I got a experience I thought.
So I messed around with EHT
V-ZO
VSCR
V-WA

And these are supposed to be fixed I guess
second issue is that I get a cut off on the left side, I have tried multiple cores in mister, happens no matter what.
Costra

Post by Costra »

Hello. I have a MX7000 SW1.1 and it seems impossible to access to the AV2. I have the original controller and when i set the AV2 to vtape 2, i dont know how to access to the vtape 2... Any idea? It seems that you need a master degree to understand this tv haha
Xenosis

Post by Xenosis »

I need some advice on picking the right B&O MX 4000.

I've found two MX 4000 and a MX 4200, but I'm confused about the SW versions and serial numbers..

If I look at the beginning of the serials of the both the mx 4000, it says 17 and 15 and both have SW 4.7. And if look at the back of the 4200 the serial begins with 19, but the SW version is only 2.9.. Why is the SW version so low, is the 4200 not the newest model?

Can someone please tell me which one I should pick?
marwin91

Post by marwin91 »

Hello, is it possible to see the total operating time of the tube on a B&O MX7000 1.0 as for Sony or other brands?
nick_arrow

Post by nick_arrow »

Hi All!

I have a question about the scart connectors of the B&O MX7000 (SW 2.0).
If I have one scart cable that goes from my console to the AV1 input and then have a scart cable that goes into the Framemeister,
would I get RGB picture from the second AV scart socket or would it passthrough as composite?

Or is it better to have a scart switch to have it connected to the AV 1 scart socket and plug the scart from the console and a scart to the Framemeister into the scart switch?